Best Tent

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Beebop13
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Freak Akademy

Best Tent

Post by Beebop13 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:29 pm

Hiiiiii! I am reaching out to see if anyone has any good tent suggestions. I am looking for an 8 person tent that is big enough to stand in but not too tall to blow over. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Re: Best Tent

Post by Papa Bear » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:19 pm

I believe the Kodiak and Springbar 10'x14' models are considered 8-person tents. They're pretty much the gold standard out there outside of specialty items like the Shiftpod or the No-Bake tent.

They're canvas tents, so relatively heavy and not cheap, but everyone I've known who has had one raves about it.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:37 pm

If you’re looking for some privacy rather than actually trying to stuff 8 people in a tent ... (not recommended)

A popular option is a Carport with a smaller tent inside of it.

Provides shade for the tent and a small room that can be private.

Search this board for lots of information and inspiration.

krly

Post by krly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:23 pm

Best prices I've seen on Kodiaks is : https://www.competitiveedgeproducts.com ... _c_12.html

Beebop13
Camp Name: Freak Akademy

Post by Beebop13 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:41 am

Thank you everyone! Very helpful!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Your shade may be more important than your tent, so look for some carports at Costco if you can, or build a monkey hut or something. It SUCKS without shade unless you plan on sleeping only at night.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:17 pm

For the requirement to stand in it, I'd say all tents in that size range are going to be at least 6 feet high inside at some point in the tent... getting dressed easily height. Requirement two, to not blow over: I think a good three season dome tent with good tie outs, and stake points, for tent and rainfly (use them all) is going to flex some perhaps, but will stay up. I'll add some more requirements to consider: quantity of mesh in the tent should be as minimal as possible, and a full coverage (to the ground, all around) rainfly is essential if you want to support the fiction that you can avoid being dusty, everywhere, everywhere. Seriously, very little mesh, and a full coverage rainfly with no big vent flaps, will keep the mounds of dust out. When I have remembered to close the doors, windows everything in the tent consistently, I was surprised by how little dust was getting in, compared to my expectations, and lengthy experience with a tent that did not have a full coverage rainfly, and a lot more mesh. A very good big dome tent will cost a lot less, be a lot lighter, and take up a lot less space, than a kodiak.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”