Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Post Reply
rawuk
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 pm
Burning Since: 2019

Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Post by rawuk » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:11 pm

Hello

I'm going to be flying out soon and touring across the country for the first few weeks before BurningMan, which means I've got one large suitcase + backpack before I even buy my tent etc from Walmart in Reno. Is there any storage places in Reno I could store my suitcase at? It'll mean I can use all the designated luggage space that the Burner express allows me, and means I don't need to leave all my valuables (everything I own :lol: ) in my tent unattended.

Thanks!

User avatar
Canoe
Posts: 3525
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Post by Canoe » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:20 am

I don't know about storage, but this may work for you.

The UPS Stores have a service where you can ship something to yourself at their store. When you pick it up, you pay a $5 service fee.

Once you arrive in Reno and have your supplies and it's time to store your suitcase while you go to Burning Man, you could ship your suitcase of belongings to yourself and pick it up after Burning Man.
Shipping to the UPS Store may be cheaper using USPS (United States Postal Service).
A local courier company in Reno may be even cheaper.
Check the fees in advance to determine which, if any, makes this work for you.
(A friend of mine would just print his own label, slap it on his bag, and be the 'courier' delivering it to the store and getting a signature.)

It's a commercial address, so a good shipper will recognize that and give you a slightly lower shipping rate.

Your Name
10580 NORTH MCCARRAN BLVD, STE 115
RENO, NV 89503
(775) 746-3988

Of course this works for things you want for Burning Man but may not want to carry with you all the way. Watch out for shipping costs.

You can also purchase things online from the States and have them shipped to you at a UPS Store. $5 a package to pickup, but you can order in advance and see the tracking to know they are there waiting for you.
Canoe wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:29 am
ship to a "UPS Store"
Typically they charge $5 a package to pickup.
You Do Not need to subscribe to any service nor sign up for a mail box. See the first link below.
(this is not USPS)
There are UPS Stores all over the States.

See both of these posts:
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=68216&p=994311#p994311
viewtopic.php?f=286&t=72894&p=1056286#p1056286

Shipping to Reno, I prefer the North-West store, 10580 N MCCARRAN BLVD (Canyon Shopping Center, N McCarran Blvd and Mae Anne Ave).
https://locations.theupsstore.com/nv/re ... arran-blvd

Do check online to ensure a UPS Store you intend to use is still listed or hasn't moved.
Do note the days & hours they are open, so you know when you can pickup your packages on your way to the playa.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

User avatar
Jackass
Posts: 2073
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: way out in left field

Re: Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Post by Jackass » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:29 am

You should be able to put it in luggage check at one of the large casino hotels, just make sure they can hold it for you that long and tip them a 20 spot to ensure that they do. We checked our three mountain bikes into a casino hotel that we weren't even staying at before, it works. The bonus with using the casino luggage check is that they're never closed, you can roll in at 3:30am, present your claim ticket and grab your belongings..
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

rawuk
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 pm
Burning Since: 2019

Re: Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Post by rawuk » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Canoe wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:20 am
I don't know about storage, but this may work for you.

The UPS Stores have a service where you can ship something to yourself at their store. When you pick it up, you pay a $5 service fee.

Once you arrive in Reno and have your supplies and it's time to store your suitcase while you go to Burning Man, you could ship your suitcase of belongings to yourself and pick it up after Burning Man.
Shipping to the UPS Store may be cheaper using USPS (United States Postal Service).
A local courier company in Reno may be even cheaper.
Check the fees in advance to determine which, if any, makes this work for you.
(A friend of mine would just print his own label, slap it on his bag, and be the 'courier' delivering it to the store and getting a signature.)

It's a commercial address, so a good shipper will recognize that and give you a slightly lower shipping rate.

Your Name
10580 NORTH MCCARRAN BLVD, STE 115
RENO, NV 89503
(775) 746-3988

Of course this works for things you want for Burning Man but may not want to carry with you all the way. Watch out for shipping costs.

You can also purchase things online from the States and have them shipped to you at a UPS Store. $5 a package to pickup, but you can order in advance and see the tracking to know they are there waiting for you.

This is a great idea. It never even occurred to me to do this. Thank you!

rawuk
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 pm
Burning Since: 2019

Re: Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Post by rawuk » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:06 pm

Jackass wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:29 am
You should be able to put it in luggage check at one of the large casino hotels, just make sure they can hold it for you that long and tip them a 20 spot to ensure that they do. We checked our three mountain bikes into a casino hotel that we weren't even staying at before, it works. The bonus with using the casino luggage check is that they're never closed, you can roll in at 3:30am, present your claim ticket and grab your belongings..
This is also a good idea, which hotel did you use?

User avatar
Jackass
Posts: 2073
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: way out in left field

Re: Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Post by Jackass » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:20 pm

It was at Caesar's in Lake Tahoe when that place still existed. I'd use any of the major five or so casinos that operate in Reno, they may not even ask if you have a room there. Just tell them you're going to go gambling...

It's a service that they provide for any of their patrons, even if you're just going to go have lunch and don't want to carry something with you.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

User avatar
Dr. Pyro
Posts: 4705
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:11 am
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro
Location: Meadow Vista, CA
Contact:

Re: Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:22 pm

If you stay at The Sands (using the Barbie Death Village discount of course) I think they'll allow you to keep luggage there, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask ahead of time.

rawuk
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 pm
Burning Since: 2019

Re: Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Post by rawuk » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:56 am

Jackass wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:20 pm
It was at Caesar's in Lake Tahoe when that place still existed. I'd use any of the major five or so casinos that operate in Reno, they may not even ask if you have a room there. Just tell them you're going to go gambling...

It's a service that they provide for any of their patrons, even if you're just going to go have lunch and don't want to carry something with you.
Would the going gambling excuse work for that many days though?

rawuk
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 pm
Burning Since: 2019

Re: Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Post by rawuk » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:57 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:22 pm
If you stay at The Sands (using the Barbie Death Village discount of course) I think they'll allow you to keep luggage there, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask ahead of time.
Didn't know about this discount. I'm already booked in to a motel.

User avatar
Jackass
Posts: 2073
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: way out in left field

Re: Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Post by Jackass » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:56 am

rawuk wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:56 am
Would the going gambling excuse work for that many days though?
It should, you wouldn't be the first person to check an item and return a week or a few months later to retrieve your things... People go on binges all of the time, get arrested, fly out, stay at the cat house for a week, lose themselves in the seedy part of town for days... It's not like they're going to say, "this guy hasn't been back in a week, let's throw his luggage away." It'll be there.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

rawuk
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:30 pm
Burning Since: 2019

Re: Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Post by rawuk » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:05 pm

Jackass wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:56 am
rawuk wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:56 am
Would the going gambling excuse work for that many days though?
It should, you wouldn't be the first person to check an item and return a week or a few months later to retrieve your things... People go on binges all of the time, get arrested, fly out, stay at the cat house for a week, lose themselves in the seedy part of town for days... It's not like they're going to say, "this guy hasn't been back in a week, let's throw his luggage away." It'll be there.

Haha. Sounds like these people are having a good time. I assume the hotel's insurance covers the luggage in case of loss or damage?

User avatar
Jackass
Posts: 2073
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:25 pm
Location: way out in left field

Re: Reno luggage storage - advice needed

Post by Jackass » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:59 pm

rawuk wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:05 pm
Haha. Sounds like these people are having a good time. I assume the hotel's insurance covers the luggage in case of loss or damage?
I'll have to refer you to the last part of Doc's post...
It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask ahead of time.
I think my work here is done.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Post Reply

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”