Baby wipes and lights on bikes

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
sissylala29

Baby wipes and lights on bikes

Post by sissylala29 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:15 am

While I'm glad that I've always brought enough water to Burning Man, last year someone in our group brought baby wipes....what a lifesaver! We'd kept the container in a cooler....a nice, soft, cool baby wipe after running around the playa is a step below heaven!
We also had travel packs to carry w/ us.
I also think headlights on bikes are a good idea. carrying a flashlight is awkward....I'm not so much worried about being able to see as being able to BE seen. I don't know how many near misses I saw w/ bikes/pedestrians/scooters/artcars out on the edges of the play...a hell of alot tho!
Just a couple of things I thougt newbies might wanna know. There's lots more. But I'll hush now.
Oh, and water....trust the sites suggestion on how much water per person and drink it. It does no good sitting in a cooler.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Baby wipes and lights on bikes

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:45 am

sissylala29 wrote:I also think headlights on bikes are a good idea. carrying a flashlight is awkward....I'm not so much worried about being able to see as being able to BE seen. I don't know how many near misses I saw w/ bikes/pedestrians/scooters/artcars out on the edges of the play...a hell of alot tho!
Cannot reiterate this enough. If you have extra blinkies and glows gift them to bikers and peds on dark moonless (this year) nights. And peds and cyclists--give vehicles a wide berth. Just because it's not a motorized city, doesn't mean that dog is any nicer to people acting stupit.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:18 am

The Dollor Tree has small glow sticks. Two for $1. 6 braclets for $1.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:53 am

My favorite tips this year: get one or two of the plastic shoeboxes/ organizer boxes with the snap-on lids. Bring one to the playa empty, use it to cache your schwag and stickers and such, much dusty fun sorting it out later. Fill the second one with items such as a multi-tool, rubber bands, twist ties, a screwdriver, tape, glue, whatever you'd keep in a junk drawer in your kitchen. Much handier than searching through big tool boxes, totes or bags. This does not replace your tool box or first aid kit, it just puts useful items close at hand in camp.

For all the playa maps, booklets, flyers, papers etc., the big plastic envelopes with string ties are excellent. I have to get new ones for each year; I fill them up!

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:54 am

Yup. Baby/handi wipes are the bomb. The feminen/baby wipes can be used by manly men as well to clean them dusty smelly parts. Pack it out, don't dump that stuff in the potties. Handi wipes, baby wipes, etc, with aloe... how nice to wipe your face and arms and privates and etc in the tent late at night as you crawl into the sleeping bag. I won't hit the playa without them.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”