Advice for using a walking boot, air cast, at BM, healing from a foot fracture

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
AnyaAKD
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Mansonian

Advice for using a walking boot, air cast, at BM, healing from a foot fracture

Post by AnyaAKD » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:08 am

Hello Playa people!

I’m getting the cast off my foot 3 days before leaving for burning man. I’m super excited because I’ll be weight bearing in a special walking boot. I’ve got a trike so I’ll have extra stability for tipsy riding :wink:
I’ll bring my crutches just in case and not be stupid and try to climb things or jump up and down dancing, some of my favorite BM pastimes.

Any tips from people that have experienced the burn in a walking boot or cast?

My biggest question at this point is - how do I not get it disgusting? Im getting pleather socks to keep the dust from my foot (which will probably feel disgusting and hot but it’s better than Playa foot.) I’m going to buy a second one and decorate them both. However there is a lot of cushy exposed fabric and Velcro to it. I just imagine it’s going to be a dust magnet. I was imagining maybe I could get creative with some leather around it, but I can’t fully enclose it because I’ll have to have access to take it off.

Any ideas?

Attaching a pic of what I’m talking about.
8BA37430-44BF-4196-9A6A-0030F9C935AE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sadie
Camp Name: Solomio

Re: Advice for using a walking boot, air cast, at BM, healing from a foot fracture

Post by sadie » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:20 am

I had to wear one of those two or three burns ago. Yes, it will get dusty...but so will everything else. It will also clean up when you get home.
Decorate all you want, but don't try to protect it from dust...not worth the effort imo.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Advice for using a walking boot, air cast, at BM, healing from a foot fracture

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:06 pm

There are furry boot covers - might need to have a snap or zipper. Anyone who sews can make one for you. Decorate a cane. Check into your nearest ESD medical and the mobility camp at center camp to understand their services. It will get disgusting, replace it back at home.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:23 pm

I’d skip getting the spare and instead get a matching set for the other leg.

Then add neoprene foam soles and platform them up 6-12 inches.

That gets them piggies out of the dust ...

Would make freaking rad open-toe platform boots.

AnyaAKD
Camp Name: Mansonian

Post by AnyaAKD » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:40 am

Ha! I love the idea of the matching platform pair!
I found some actual nylon air boot covers with zippers on Etsy. I do love the fur idea... maybe I can use the nylon as a mounting surface to add fur! That should be a good start.

I’m not feeling precious about the actual boot itself. I’d do throw it in the burn if it were made of responsible materials!

Great thoughts! 💡💡💡

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”