Should the Burning Man Webcast be on YouTube or Vimeo?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
motorbikematt
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BMIR: Burning Man Information Radio

Should the Burning Man Webcast be on YouTube or Vimeo?

Post by motorbikematt » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Greetings Earthlings,

Although it is a quick question, it is a heavy one laden with different types of issues and I would love to get your opinion.

On Twitter, Facebook and Reddit I posed this same question: Should we move off YouTube and pay for Vimeo to host the webcast.

YouTube has not been a great supporter of the webcast (remember 2017?) and they treat other content creators poorly.

Vimeo Livestream is $900 a year, but no ads and no controversy. I would like to get everyone's thoughts before I make such a commitment.

Let me know here or elsewhere!

Canoe

Re: Should the Burning Man Webcast be on YouTube or Vimeo?

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:06 pm

As a watcher, I rarely have issues with youtube livestreams that aren't fixed by a quick refresh.
I frequently have issues trying to watch just about anything on vimo.
But that's just my experience.

Some live streams, like Wildearth's Safari Live, stream on Youtube out of Africa. They do get issues, but all appear to be internet issues local to them. In some years of two daily streams of two or three hours, I can only recall once where they were down due to youtube.

So why won't youtube get serious about support and getting on board for Burning Man...

At the same time that Safari Live stream to youtube, they also stream the feed on periscope. Periscope is a lot lower quality, but the rare time youtube wouldn't stream, Safari Live was viewable on periscope. No idea of costs or connections. Periscope streams can be set by the streamer to be saved and viewable later (please).
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:40 pm

I would like to see more energy placed into roving playa production.
You could set up a production studio to insert footage on portable media from the sound-camera crews into your Center Camp Tower pan-tilt-zoom camera.
Bringing a live link to say the man burn takes a lot of tech and radio planning.
What is the stream bandwidth used today for the video feed?

As for broadcast vendor, it seems like the issue could be negotiated with Google management, even ad elimination.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

motorbikematt
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BMIR: Burning Man Information Radio

Post by motorbikematt » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:35 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:40 pm
I would like to see more energy placed into roving playa production.
You could set up a production studio to insert footage on portable media from the sound-camera crews into your Center Camp Tower pan-tilt-zoom camera.
I can appreciate that. I want more drones like we did last year, but anything closer to the ground will always be time-delayed. Two rules: ENSURE CONSENT, RESPECT PRIVACY. It's hard to do roving when there are 80k people around you.
some seeing eye wrote:
As for broadcast vendor, it seems like the issue could be negotiated with Google management, even ad elimination.
Yeah, Google never works that way, they won't even reply to me when they are demonstrably wrong. This happens to other content creators all the time.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Periscope seems to let people stream sound without issue.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:08 pm

motorbikematt wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:35 pm
some seeing eye wrote:
Yeah, Google never works that way, they won't even reply to me when they are demonstrably wrong. This happens to other content creators all the time.
Contact the Burning Man CEO.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”