shot in the dark...last minute gift ideas?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
halfshadows

shot in the dark...last minute gift ideas?

Post by halfshadows » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:09 am

first timer and last-minuter. yeah, i know.

if i can manage, i want to bring something to give out that would be enjoyable and won't take up too much space on the ride out.

one idea i had was to get a button machine and make a bunch of buttons. or i could bring my henna kit and give people temporary tattoos. or i could bring some edible item.

for some reason (or perhaps it is because it is 3 am and i am high and wired on cold medication) all these ideas seem really complicated and/or lame.

any suggestions appreciated.

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:59 am

Just bring a bunch of random buttons and sew them on people's clothes, not for any kind of official or practical use but more for shits and giggles.

People would get home and 3-4 weeks from now look down and say
"Where the hell did that button on my sleeve come from?...ohh yeeahhh.. hee hee."

Or did you mean 'buttons' like 'I voted' kind of buttons...???

halfshadows

Post by halfshadows » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:13 am

i meant the "i voted" kind. i like the other button idea but i wonder how most people would take to having their clothing vandalized in such a slow and "precious" manner.

i was thinking i could create custom buttons on the spot, according to the day and the mood. how convenient is that? it wouldn't have to be words; it could be pictures, symbols...hey i even do abstract!

taking the whole labeling thing a bit more literally, i was also thinking of bringing my label machine...with a handy deutch-english pocketbook i could label things for people in either english or german

or maybe that's the cold meds talking again.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:10 am

I like the label idea, although henna is wonderful too. I had my hands henna'd on the playa and fell asleep and woke up with henna marks on my cheek.

Good times, good times ...

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:19 am

halfshadows wrote:i meant the "i voted" kind. i like the other button idea but i wonder how most people would take to having their clothing vandalized in such a slow and "precious" manner.

i was thinking i could create custom buttons on the spot, according to the day and the mood. how convenient is that? it wouldn't have to be words; it could be pictures, symbols...hey i even do abstract!

taking the whole labeling thing a bit more literally, i was also thinking of bringing my label machine...with a handy deutch-english pocketbook i could label things for people in either english or german

or maybe that's the cold meds talking again.
How 'bout blank buttons and ask them to pinch up their own piece of playa right at there feet and sprinkle it in. Seal it in the button and that moment on the playa is frozen in time. Not to mention the low cost of raw material and something only a burner would understand.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:25 am

You just gave me an idea for something.....thank you MJM.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:13 am

any of those might work. Do what feels right to you and if you bring your kit and don't use it--that's okay. Also, time pitching a tent or an extra bag of ice for your neighbor is a great gift. Even those cheap $1.00 flashlights might come in handy--better than nothing and last year I got to the playa and found that the dust from the year before had eaten the electronics for my mini mag. Bring sharpies and write things on tee shirts. If you meet me, I want a button that sayz "Do you know who I am?" or on that sez "Will Trade Radical Self-Reliance for Food."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

chrispburn

Post by chrispburn » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:23 am

this is sort of random (and commercial)

but one of the best things a campmate turned me onto is a saline gel for your nose. I hadn't seen anythign about this one the many supply lists I've read, so I think it's an undiscovered pleasure on the playa.

The playa drys out your nose tremendously, and you get the famous playa buggers. This gel is a wonderfully soothing and moisturizing answer to that.

The brand I found is called Ayr (pronounced "air" ?). It comes in a small tube, so it easily fits in you day pack or waist pack. I still need to buy my new supply, so I was thinking I'd get a few extra. I think it would be a very welcomed gift.

I know it's not "creative", but I think it's very thoughtful. And I love being able to share something. I have other creative outlets to share with the community, but thought this was a "tangible" gift that might make a few peoples day

jofezasa

And don't forget the gift of service . . .

Post by jofezasa » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:27 am

Helping out, cleaning up, things of that sort. I was thinking of things to 'give away' and, although a first timer, thought something like foot washing and lotioning might be appreciated based on what I've read and heard.
Knowledge is Power
Power is the Ultimate Aphrodisiac
Therefore Knowledge is the Ultimate Aphrodisiac

Blonde Iguana

Post by Blonde Iguana » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:35 am

Last year there was an older gentleman with a button machine. He was having people draw their own button designs, and then he made them into buttons. It seemed pretty popular, altho people weren't listening to his instructions and he was getting a little testy. I like the idea of a pinch of playa dust, and maybe a spontaneous little B-Man design drawn by you or by the buttonee. I myself would love that.
How we live each day is, of course, how we live our lives.

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:25 am

First timers should never worry too much about gifting. Really. Go enjoy the event and don't stress about gifts.

Sharky

Post by Sharky » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:19 am

DallasPlaya wrote:First timers should never worry too much about gifting. Really. Go enjoy the event and don't stress about gifts.
I agree! Your first year it's tough enough just getting and keeping your own "survival act" together. It's tough to imagine the actual Playa and the whole "gifting" scene until you've actually been there.
Just relax, help out where you can, take it all in, participate, and then come back next year with a great plan and maybe some art!

By the way, the button machine and Playa dirt sounds like a great idea!
"To travel, to experience and learn - that is to live"

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:21 pm

Dude.
Toilet paper.

duck

thinking of bringing as gifts

Post by duck » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:13 pm

I am a first timer, just coming in for the day on Tuesday. I am heading to Arizona and thought I would stop by and at least experience a little. Hope to do a week next year.

Thought I would bring some ice cream in a cooler with dry ice, some great cold beer and a bundle of t/p.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:43 pm

Make sure that tp is one ply and you have 3 winners!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Arkansas Traveler

Post by Arkansas Traveler » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:06 am

The four of us are also first timers. Outside of some small light up toys, we are bringing bandannas. We thought that what with the heat people would need something to wipe the sweat or cover their faces in the dust storm. And it has our names on it. 8)

HughMungus

Post by HughMungus » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:58 am

If anybody wants to MAKE a gift for someone special, we'll be letting people make their own Black Rock necklaces at Black Rock Necklace Camp. We're not placed so look us up at Playa Info. Arriving Tues. night.

phil

Post by phil » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:48 am

Arkansas Traveler wrote:The four of us are also first timers. Outside of some small light up toys, we are bringing bandannas. We thought that what with the heat people would need something to wipe the sweat or cover their faces in the dust storm. And it has our names on it. 8)
Lightup toys and bandanas will be wonderful.

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:56 am

Fill a spray bottle with a lemon juice/water mix. Carry a bottle of lotion and some baby wipes. Offer a hand and or foot cleansing/moisterizing. Nothing for them to hold onto, nothing for them to lose, and a memory of pleasure that lasts a long time.

I don't know what happened to many of the trinkets I brought back from my first burn. But I do rememebr the hand rub I got from a nice person at Illumination Village.
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”