How to prepare for a first timer.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
bsings

How to prepare for a first timer.

Post by bsings » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:48 am

Hi Everyone! I am thrilled to be going to Burning Man for the first time! Could I have couple suggestions on the best way I could prepare myself? For example, I was reading something about "what was in and now is out..." and special lingo and what have you. Thanks!!! Bsings :D

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:00 am

You're already doing it, by participating in Eplaya. Read EVERYTHING. If a thread intrigues you, go back and review it before contributing- I've made redundant posts before, by not checking to see if someone else had contributed the same advice as me. Also, read every corner of the Burning Man site. It's all interesting, and mostly useful.

The Secret Handshake is given with ring finger tucked IN towards your palm...grasp the other person's hand firmly while turning your head down and diagonally to the left, while humming softly and closing your right eye.
Most people will look at you strangely when you do this, since they won't be expecting you to know the Secret Handshake.

See you out there! *hmmmmmmm*.......*wink*
Howdy From Kalamazoo

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:11 am

Darn it Robotland! You where warned the last time you leaked the secrets of Burningman to the uninitiated...next you will be telling them where the entrance to the underground swimming pool is!

The Apokiliptikans will determine the appropriate punishment for you, report to the 3 O'clock plaza as soon as you hit the Playa to begin your re-education...
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:08 am

How to prepare first timer?

Marinate in olive oil, chianti, and 7 secret herbs and spices for 48 hours. Start set of coals - medium to cool bed (325F), place first timer on spit, then to roast using natural juices as baste until stops squirming. Serve on bed of rusty nails with Ceabgrass and Hemlock garnish, and poison sumac berry jelly on side...

From Apokiliptika Home Kooking Kookbook, 2005

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:43 am

"what was in and now is out..."

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:54 am

in out
Dewey eyed enthusiasm Chai fueled cynicism
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:13 am

I like first - timers if they are properly cooked.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:47 am

How to prepare?

Read the main web page for info and don't solely rely on e-playa for advice and facts.

There are plenty of people on eplaya with good intentions and possibly good advice, there are also alot of people with their head up their ass (first timers and old timers). Just remember that it's only their opinion and their experience, doesn't make it right for you. I guess what I mean is don't take what you read here as scripture, it's just some crazy burner's idea of how they think it should be done. Alot of it is pretty useful but alot of it is pure crap.

Read the survival guide, have one on one conversations with burners you meet in person or on e-playa, and don't hold back.

editing this: eplaya is not the playa, eplaya is not burningman

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Do a dry-run at home

Post by Zhust » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:47 am

If the mood suits you, you can try setting everything up at home.

Figure out how to set up and stake down your tent with rebar. Take down your tent and pack it back up.

Try washing yourself with a washcloth. Put any wastewater in a bucket and figure out ways to make none instead.

Start making a pile/list of things to bring. Skip anything that will shed or is easily lost -- whether it's feather boas or cheap blinky lights that tend to fall apart.

If you're packing a vehicle, put the things you need first in last so they'll be right there when you arrive.

Practice doing all this in the middle of the night while drunk and exhausted.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:32 am

Find a sunscreen or sunblock you can stand on your skin.

Find a lip balm you like.

Start taking care of your feet now.

Find a BASH (big-ass shade hat) with a strap, that fits and that is comfy enough that you'll actually wear it.

If you're planning on biking at the event, bike beforehand. I provided bikes for my nieces and they rarely rode them, sore bums from not riding since little-kidhood.

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:34 am

sore bums from not riding since little-kidhood.
Well, at least that's what they told you they were sore from!

HughMungus

Re: How to prepare for a first timer.

Post by HughMungus » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:27 pm

bsings wrote:Hi Everyone! I am thrilled to be going to Burning Man for the first time! Could I have couple suggestions on the best way I could prepare myself? For example, I was reading something about "what was in and now is out..." and special lingo and what have you. Thanks!!! Bsings :D
Troll.
It's what you make it.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”