Radiation at Burning Man

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
regionalchaos

Radiation at Burning Man

Post by regionalchaos » Wed May 10, 2006 9:15 am

Has anyone taken a Geiger counter out to the playa with them? I was just wondering what kind of back ground radiation is out there.
Participate! - )'( -

http://regionalchaos.net

MrMullen

Post by MrMullen » Wed May 10, 2006 10:42 am

I imagine it is the same as anywhere else.

Is there some insight into a local nuclear waste dump that we should know about?
--
Mr Mullen

regionalchaos

Post by regionalchaos » Wed May 10, 2006 10:47 am

MrMullen wrote:I imagine it is the same as anywhere else.

Is there some insight into a local nuclear waste dump that we should know about?
There was a lot of nuclear testing conducted in Nevada in the past. I'm sure you've seen pictures of mushroom clouds somewhere along the way.

The levels might be the same as many other places, I'm just curious about it.
Participate! - )'( -

http://regionalchaos.net

Rockdad

Post by Rockdad » Wed May 10, 2006 10:56 am

Possible it is slightly higher but all the testing took place far far south of there...Las Vegas is much closer to NTS no problem there
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

[url=http://eplayabar.blogspot.com/]The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog[/url]

DVD Burner
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: White Trash Camp

Post by DVD Burner » Wed May 10, 2006 11:03 am

this was discussed before i beleive last year.

Maybe Rob the wop or K or Bob had the answer.
https://www.facebook.com/NeXTCODER

MrMullen

Post by MrMullen » Wed May 10, 2006 12:01 pm

You mean these?

http://maps.google.com/?t=h&om=1&ll=37. ... 5,0.080509

These happen FAR FAR south of Black Rock City.
--
Mr Mullen

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed May 10, 2006 12:02 pm

The only things I am aware of regarding radiation in the vicinity of the Black Rock Desert is that Gerlach has or had a problem with high levels of uranium in the water supply. That problem is caused by localized uranium deposits underground and has nothing to do with the NTS tests. The EPA was working on efforts to address the situation, I haven't read up on if they've made any changes to the water supply or not.

As for the playa itself there shouldn't be anything out there beyond normal background radiation that you'll find almost anywhere. The military did use the Black Rock Desert for a time as a weapons range but only with conventional weapons so that's not an issue. But again I'm no expert....I'd recommend doing a Google search...and you may want to search the eplaya for Badger's (or Isotopia) posts on the geography of the playa...use the word "graben" as one of your search terms to help you find the comments. He's posted some good info to counter the propaganda of the Stop BM folks that might answer more of your questions.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed May 10, 2006 3:26 pm

Regioanl Chaos.

radiation levels in Vegas are higher than in Gerlach. See EPA study
"Background Radiation baseline readings. Circa 1986" Way higher in Southern Utah (prevaling wind direction and where fallout from Nevada Test Site lands)
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed May 10, 2006 3:37 pm

I was just wondering what kind of back ground radiation is out there.
On average 360 mR/hr [millirem] whole body exposure to ionozing radiation to most North Americans. A bit more in the western states. Assume double exposure while at the event. Figure it at appx 13 millirem.

phil

Post by phil » Wed May 10, 2006 4:02 pm

When I was a kid we all had radium on our watch dials so we could see them in the dark. Radiation on Black Rock? feh.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed May 10, 2006 4:44 pm

We're all fucking doomed.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Wed May 10, 2006 5:16 pm

Hey, this isn't the Kamp Apokiliptika thread! We're not fucking doomed! (At least not yet)
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Keeper_of_the Key

Post by Keeper_of_the Key » Wed May 10, 2006 5:37 pm

MrMullen,

what the heck ARE those? any more importantly what are they doing with them? I see a crane nearby there if you zoom in.

david
"You can't always get what you want... but sometimes you get what you need." - - The Stones

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Wed May 10, 2006 6:33 pm

Those dimples in the ground are the results of nuclear bombs set off in the southern part of Nevada at the Trinity test site. If you have a fast internet connection, get Google earth and go to the same location. Turn on layer called Google Earth Community and see names associated with all of the holes.....BIG BOMB tests.. this is north of Mercury NV and east of Beatty.

Then check out BRC
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

nogganoodle
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Booby Bar, UK Envoy

Post by nogganoodle » Thu May 11, 2006 8:52 am

Those craters close up on google earth are some crazy shit. How old are they? I know they aren't recent
You don't need a license to drive a sandwich

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Thu May 11, 2006 8:53 am

I love the Nevada Desert... kinda kewl when you see some of those craters, and realize *just* how big they are. Also... There's so much natural mineral "wealth" in Nevada (especially the western part of the state) I wouldn't be surprised if there's uranite deposits around BlackRock.

Anaconda Copper had a *huge* open pit mine near Yerington (my uncle worked there, lived in the company town of Weed Heights) which was later found to have Uranite and Asbestos deposits, which were mined for a while... It then became a lake, and is now a monitored site (along with everyone who spent any time there...) by the EPA...

I always remembered 2 things about visiting my aunt and uncle - one was the absolutely awesome tours of the mine I'd get (seeing trucks 12 feet tall from across the pit through a telescope thingy)... and the funny taste of the water there... Different than anything else. Kinda... I dunno... metallic. (Prolly glowed in the dark, too!!!) It was safe, tho... they told us so!!

And kids nowdays think *they* have it rough!! >giggles<

bb

MrMullen

Post by MrMullen » Thu May 11, 2006 10:52 am

EspressoDude wrote:Those dimples in the ground are the results of nuclear bombs set off in the southern part of Nevada at the Trinity test site. If you have a fast internet connection, get Google earth and go to the same location. Turn on layer called Google Earth Community and see names associated with all of the holes.....BIG BOMB tests.. this is north of Mercury NV and east of Beatty.

Then check out BRC
There is something to add to this, these are underground tests, not above ground and they were not Trinty tests, they were post Trinity tests. I believe that Trinity were done in New Mexico.
--
Mr Mullen

phil

Post by phil » Thu May 11, 2006 11:08 am

I believe that Trinity were done in New Mexico.
I believe you are correct - Alamagordo. See
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Trinity.html
for a history and photos.

MrMullen

Post by MrMullen » Thu May 11, 2006 12:06 pm

phil wrote:
I believe that Trinity were done in New Mexico.
I believe you are correct - Alamagordo. See
http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Trinity.html
for a history and photos.
Yah, for watching the History Channel!
--
Mr Mullen

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri May 12, 2006 9:30 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:I love the Nevada Desert... kinda kewl when you see some of those craters, and realize *just* how big they are. Also... There's so much natural mineral "wealth" in Nevada (especially the western part of the state) I wouldn't be surprised if there's uranite deposits around BlackRock.

bb
Relax, it's natural radiation... :roll:

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”