Drug Dogs / K9 Unit Resource

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
psilence

Drug Dogs / K9 Unit Resource

Post by psilence » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:36 am

Hello

This site contains more than many people would care to know about the methods, reasoning and execution of canine searches of person, property, et al.

http://www.k9fleck.org/narlegal.htm

Specifically,
CANINE APPLICATION TO SEARCH AND SEIZURE:

SUMMARY:

A canine sniff of property is not a search.

A) United States v Place (462 U.S. 696 (1983) U. S. Supreme Court

Exposure of traveler's luggage, which was located in a public place, to a trained narcotics detection dog for sniffing purposes did not constitute a "search" for Fourth Amendment purposes.

The canine sniff discloses only the presence or absence of narcotics, a contraband item.

The canine sniff does not expose noncontraband items that otherwise would remain hidden from public view.

B) Illinois v Caballes (125 S. Ct. 834 (2005) U.S. Supreme Court

Dog sniff conducted during a lawful traffic stop, that reveals no information other than location of contraband that no individual has any right to possess, does not violate the Fourth Amendment.

Use of a well trained narcotics detection dog, one that does not expose noncontraband items that otherwise would remain hidden from public view, during lawful traffic stop does not violate the Fourth Amendment.

Where lawful traffic stop was not extended beyond time necessary to issue warning ticket and to conduct ordinary inquiries incident to such a stop, another officer’s arrival at scene while stop was in progress and use of narcotics detection dog to sniff around the exterior of motorist’s vehicle does not have to be supported by some reasonable, articulable suspicion.
Thanks,
Joe

psilence

Post by psilence » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:00 pm

bump..

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:08 am

Bump! And with something else that's very helpful to know.

http://www.flexyourrights.org/traffic_stop_scenario
Think you might get stopped on your way to BRC? Know your rights!
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

brayandtrill

Post by brayandtrill » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:43 am

Yes but don't count on it. Not all police officers play by the rules...and in he end it doesn't always matter if they did or not, or if you know your rights.
We were pulled over in the Walker River Paiute reservation. They fabricated a reason to pull us over. They removed us from our vehicle and "went looking" first for our registration, ID etc. When they didn't find anything "else" they claimed we didn't pull over right away (bullshxx) and this gave them the right to search our car without permission.
See post...
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=14612

The only way to really protect yourself (in addition to knowing your rights) is to make sure there is nothing for them to find. Even if they search illegally, if they find anything it doesn't matter at that point. You will be dealing with it in jail (at least in Walker River you will). If possible, avoid the reservation and please be very careful about your choices!

Wakawaka

Post by Wakawaka » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:45 pm

My dog smells something fierce, but, alas, I cannot bring him to the playa. Good for you, bad for me because I love him so and he's the custest puppy in the world and I really don't mind the smell.

I am happy to come sniff your drugs though.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:29 am

The issue of rights of the average American under "tribal law" is a good question I'd like to look into more. One might think that in the case of the traffic stop example that American law would say they can't do that. And I had a post written that said something to that effect but I scrapped it after thinking about the current SD abortion law case. One of the tribes up there is going to try and skirt SD's anti-abortion clinic law by opening a clinic of their own on tribal land because apparently the SD laws don't apply there. Yet I know that US law does and the chief said the clinic might have to close depending on what kind of decision SCOTUS hands down in the future.

So after saying all that even though these incidents happened on "sovereign" Indian reservation land, don't our basic constitutional rights still apply? If they do as I think they do what's to keep someone from suing in federal court over these stops? My gut take on this is someone's got the potential of winning a powerball sized claim against the reservation and would have a lot of money coming their way providing everything stated is true and that we're not missing anything that justified their actions to begin with. (The 2 sides to every story thing)

I don't have time now to dig into it now but after the event I've got this post flagged...I think it's worth coming back and revisiting this. From the perspective of the event maybe a revised section on dealing with the tribes might be helpful. But the best advice was already given and it's what I intend to do. Don't bring anything that gives them something to build a case with! That and if I ever head through there to go sightseeing after the event...I'll make sure I'm well rested and focused so I don't weave over the yellow line!
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:50 am

I would love to have my own drug dog.

Who needs slippers?

Lysergic

~KNOW YOUR RIGHTS~

Post by Lysergic » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:58 am

BUSTED - The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters

~KNOW YOUR RIGHTS~

Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:51 am

Yo Ly buddy, quit cross-posting. We'll see it. This ain't Tribe after all.

Besides, I'm really getting tired of telling folks how not to get busted when there is a really simple and effective method available.

brayandtrill

Post by brayandtrill » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:57 am

"I don't have time now to dig into it now but after the event I've got this post flagged...I think it's worth coming back and revisiting this."

Ditto Kinetic...I would love to talk more about this subject post-playa. See you in the desert![/i]

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:41 pm

... a few facts I learned in my years of SAR. Dog noses hate gasoline, diesel, and kerosene. They especially hate exhaust fumes. One wiff of those and their noses are useless for minutes/hours.

Note: deliberately causing a K9 to be subjected to harmful substances (like pepper, ect) can be construed as assualt against a police officer (the K9 dog).

I am not advocating the use of illegal substances or assaulting LEO's, just passing along a few facts.

Oh yeah, and if you are going to carry illegal substances while you are near me, and don't tell me, and I find out about it, expect me to get really pissed at you.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:25 pm

one of my favorite things to do was dump my seeds around cop cars and in the stations lobby.

there is a certain evil satisfaction of having one of the narc dogs go after one of thier own.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:36 pm

Back in the 70s, someone seeded all the planters around the cop shop with pot. Beautiful, just beautiful, until they caught on a couple weeks later.

Lysergic

yo

Post by Lysergic » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:21 am

thx for posting that psilence!
Doubt everything. Find your own light.
--Last words of Gotama Buddha

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:41 am

spectabillis wrote:one of my favorite things to do was dump my seeds around cop cars and in the stations lobby.

there is a certain evil satisfaction of having one of the narc dogs go after one of thier own.

/
You are an evil person. WE could be great friends

Rockdad

Police station pot

Post by Rockdad » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:22 am

spectabillis wrote:one of my favorite things to do was dump my seeds around cop cars and in the stations lobby.

Todays news: LINK
The first marijuana plants found growing in Duluth, Minn., in about 10 years were thriving in public view -- in a planter outside a police station.

A reporter for the Duluth News Tribune heard talk during the weekend about "something interesting" growing outside the West Duluth police substation, the newspaper reported Tuesday.

Unaware of what was so "interesting" about the dozen or so 6-inch high plants in the planter outside the front door of the station, Janna Goerdt plucked a leaf and took it back to the newspaper office with her.

Duluth City Gardener Tom Kasper confirmed the "weed" was marijuana Monday and took the news to police Lt. John Beyer, who said the plants went unnoticed because nobody ever uses the front entrance of the station, which is usually kept locked.

"The only thing I can say is somebody has a sense of humor," Beyer said.

Kasper said it's been about 10 years since marijuana has been found growing in the northern Minnesota.

In 1990, a 3-foot-tall marijuana plant was found thriving in the Civic Center courtyard near City Hall.

United Press International
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

[url=http://eplayabar.blogspot.com/]The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog[/url]

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:59 am

...so is the police station going to be seized under forfeiture laws? Who can say that the police were not the ones responsible? I say drug test / lie detector them all to be sure....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:06 pm

hey now, i never been to deluth, i swear. hear that officer? nope, not me at all, never.

Sean

Post by Sean » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:18 am

Haha, nice one about the police station. But honestly, is it worth having something that can get you sent to prison? Even when there is a substance like alcohol around that does more or less the same thing legally?

FungusAmongus

Post by FungusAmongus » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:48 pm

Sorry i didnt take the time to read every single post but i would like to state something. Knowing your rights is great and will most likely get you out of avvoidable situations. But that doesnt mean that and officer cant use the power he is given to basically tell you you have no f-in rights. For instance me and another were making a trip to new york through kansas(horrible state IMO, sorry to those in kansas) we were pulled over. we were driving along and we noticed an officer had pulled a vehicle over. so we merged into left lane to give space as we drove by. well i guess when we merged we got to close behind another vehicle. about a mile up the road was another Highway patrol officer. So he pulled us over. He approached the vehicle and informed us that he had pulled us over because we were following too close and he asked for license and paperwork. Then he immediately asked us if we had any marijuana in the vehicle because he could smell it. We told him we didn't and he made us get out of the vehicle. once outside he told us he was going to search the vehicle. At that time the driver( i was passenger at the time) Told the officer he wasnt consenting to a search. The officer said IT DOESN'T MATTER I SMELL SOMETHIN. we reminded him we werent consenting and he proceded to search. i'd also like to mention we had not smoked any marijuana in the vehicle at all, period of the end. And i had been smoking ciggarettes during our trip. So after not finding anything he proceded to run us for warrants, seperate us and try and catch us in conflicting stories. SO after all this abuse he threatens to bring the dogs in. we kept telling him we didnt have anything. His supervisor shows up then. and at this time we were at the back of the vehicle. The officer tell his supervisor whats going on and that he had smelled pot. His supervisor goes up to the passenger window, takes a wiff, and comes back. I DON'T SMELL ANYTHING he proclaims and they proceed to let us go with a warning that the next time we're liable to be left on the side of the highway w/out our vehicle. So i guess what im trying to say is that even though we have "said" rights, it doesnt mean that officers wont go out of there way to abuse and violate us. And to be honest after we were let go i felt the MOST violated i have ever felt before. Now kansas and nevada are two different states so im in no way implying anything. Just be careful and Do exercise you rights.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:11 pm

bump for humor/info
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:21 pm

MOST drug dogs can't detect LSD. But training programs do exist so it's like russian roulette!

professorzed

Drug dogs

Post by professorzed » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:08 pm

One thing that drives Drug sniffing dogs absolutely batty, is the urine from a female wolf in heat.

Wolves are part of the same family as dogs (Canines), and the pheromones in the scent of a female Canine in heat just drives them nuts...even the female dogs go loopy (they don't like the competition). It's not hurting the dog, just confusing and distracting them, so it's not like assault.

Also, there's nothing to say that a female wolf (or dog) didn't just pee on the wheels of your RV without you knowing about it. This could even happen in your driveway.

If you have a female dog in heat, you have a ready source of bitch urine. Otherwise, you can buy the scent from hunting supply stores.

The main drawback is that once you apply the stuff, your RV will start looking like a fire hydrant for all dogs, not just police dogs.

Also, the K-9 agents might think that the drug dogs going crazy for Wolf pee means that they have hit the mother load.

Oh, and also. Wolf pee is really, really rancid smelling stuff.

Here's some information on Drug dogs from a former K-9 Narcotics agent who turned away from the 'Dark side'.

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/node/8634

This is a particularly interesting paragraph from the article:

"Let’s discuss how unscrupulous police officers use these drug-detecting animals to illegally search your car by using false alerts.

When pulled over by the police, the driver does have the right to refuse consent to search their vehicle. Upon hearing a refusal to allow a search, police have the right to bring a K-9 out to conduct a non-invasive air sniff of your auto exterior. But if the trained drug dog alerts on your auto, the police can then search without your permission. Knowing this, police who maintain suspicion that you have narcotics will often command their dogs to false alert if the K-9 hasn’t indicated the presence of drugs during the legitimate outside air search of your car. A false alert is done simply by whispering the ball-fetch command, “Get it, get it – get it out of there,â€

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”