Burn Night Recommendations

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
rodent

Burn Night Recommendations

Post by rodent » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:36 pm

(could someone possibly forward this on to the Jack Rabbit Speaks? I think it would be a usefull thing for people to read)

Saturday night, the night that the Man burns. Before all the excitement revs up, before you hike out and watch the man burn, here are some things to think about.

1. Leave your bike at camp. I know it seems that the man is a long way away but really consider walking. It's very difficult to both find a safe place to put your bike once you reach the man and FIND your bike once the man falls. Keep in mind that a cluster of bikes lying on the open playa is a HUGE tripping hazard and makes things very dificult for art cars to navigate and for Emergency Vehicles to get to an emergency.
Also, don't bring any chairs. Leave 'em at camp. They're a tripping hazard too, especially when the crowd does it's rush forward. Plus, it's just another thing you're gonna have to lug around all night.

2. Food and Water. Don't forget to bring some water. You may be out at the man for a while so bring water and something to snack on. just some cheese crackers or mabe a nutrition bar.

4. Sit Down!!! If you find that you're within the first 5 or 6 rows of people, please sit down. Let the people behind you have a chance to see everything. Also, it helps the fabulous Black Rock Rangers who are trying to maintain a safety perimiter by keeping "runners" from getting a running start. If you can, encourage people around you to sit down too. Besides, it's gonna be a while till he burns. Relax, sit down, you're gonna be there a while.

5. Lock it up. This isn't a huge problem but something to consider. Look around your camp before heading out to the man. Put any vauables in a safe place (locked in your car, hidden in a sock in your suitcase, ect). Theft is very rare on burn night but it can happen. Do know that there are a number of Black Rock Rangers who will be sacrificing their ability to watch the Man burn to walk around Black Rock City and keep an eye on things for ya.

6. Don't get toooo f*cked up. It might seem "soo frigg'n cool to be on (insert inebriant of choice) when the man burns!!!" but take it easy. Burn night is gonna be full of emotional energy and chaos plus, you've just spent a week out in harsh conditions. Try not to over do it.

7. Have a group plan for after the Man falls. If you're going out to watch the Man burn in a group, have a loose plan for the aftermath. Once the man falls, it's gonna be hectic and chaotic. It's possible that your group may get separated. Have a loose plan. Something like "If we get separated, lets meet at (insert cool ass camp on the esplinade) afterwards". Try to not make your plan too ridged. For instance "If we don't see you at (meeting spot) by 12 midnight, we'll assume you found something cooler to do. See ya back at camp eventually." or some such.

If you end up missing someone, try not to obsess over it too much. They may have just hooked up with a hottie and are having a grand time. If a wayward friend doesn't surface by Sunday, then you might want to check with the REMSA medical tent behind the Center Cafe or with the Black Rock Rangers right next door to REMSA.

Have a great burn everyone.

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:04 pm

wow...lot of rules.

geekster

Re: Burn Night Recommendations

Post by geekster » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:48 pm

[quote="rodent"](could someone possibly forward this on to the Jack Rabbit Speaks? I think it would be a usefull thing for people to read)

1. Leave your bike at camp.

I agree, take the art car.

Keep in mind that a cluster of bikes lying on the open playa is a HUGE tripping hazard

(Dude ... the entire event is a tripping hazard.)

and makes things very dificult for art cars to navigate and for Emergency Vehicles to get to an emergency.

I can agree here. Get out of the way of the art cars!

Also, don't bring any chairs. Leave 'em at camp. They're a tripping hazard too

(there you go with the tripping hazards again ... dude ... FIRE is a tripping hazard ... depending on how hard you are tripping)

Plus, it's just another thing you're gonna have to lug around all night.

(people that have been there more than once already know that. You sit in the art car until after the people rush forward, then take your chair and find a nice comfy spot near the embers to while away the time and chat with people).

2. Food and Water.

Whatever ... eat before the burn and bring your hydration pack just like any other night.

4. Sit Down!!!

FUCK THAT !!! ... reason is .. even if everyone sits, someone is going to be taller than you or "sitting" in a fashion that obstructs your view. You then find yourself yelling BE SHORTER!!! which is futile. It is about expectations. Don't expect a clear view and you won't be disappointed. You aren't there to be a spectator, you are there to interact.

5. Lock it up. This isn't a huge problem but something to consider. Look around your camp before heading out to the man. Put any vauables in a safe place (locked in your car, hidden in a sock in your suitcase, ect). Theft is very rare on burn night but it can happen. Do know that there are a number of Black Rock Rangers who will be sacrificing their ability to watch the Man burn to walk around Black Rock City and keep an eye on things for ya.

I will give you this one but again, the advice is mainly for virgin camps. People that have been there a time or two already know that.

6. Don't get toooo f*cked up.

Whatever ... next ...

7. Have a group plan for after the Man falls.

Sounds like fun!

If you're going out to watch the Man burn in a group, have a loose plan for the aftermath.

Why? wittle baby gonna get wost?

Once the man falls, it's gonna be hectic and chaotic.

YeeeHAW!

It's possible that your group may get separated.

Okay ... so?

Have a loose plan.

For ....?

Something like "If we get separated, lets meet at (insert cool ass camp on the esplinade) afterwards".

How about ... if we get separated ... see ya next year! Lets all hug now in case we have entirely too much fun and drift apart!

If you end up missing someone, try not to obsess over it too much. (as in ... at all)

They may have just hooked up with a hottie and are having a grand time. If a wayward friend doesn't surface by Sunday, then you might want to check with the REMSA medical tent behind the Center Cafe or with the Black Rock Rangers right next door to REMSA.

(there is also the stack of bodies they pile up out near the temple after burn night so you can check there too)

Have a great burn everyone.

---
rodent

Dude ... you are awesome! I am so glad someone is looking out for the newbs.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

geekster

Post by geekster » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:16 pm

Here's an idea ... go to the burn and try to make it a point NOT to look at the man while he is burning. Sit down and face the other way ... and talk to the people behind you ... and bring some wine ... and get too fucked up ... and make new friends.

The man burns every year. Chances are that group of people immediately around you will never again be assembled exactly as they are that night. Celebrate that.

Just don't be a dick.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

rodent

Re: Burn Night Recommendations

Post by rodent » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:00 am

geekster wrote:
rodent wrote:
(there is also the stack of bodies they pile up out near the temple after burn night so you can check there too)
shhh... we gotta feed DPW something...

---
---

mamasaid

sat is overrated

Post by mamasaid » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:03 am

stay home
watch the burn from someones rv roof.
sleep.
sat night is overrated.
best parties and funny things happen on wed, thurs and fri nights.
sat is good for catching up on sleep.

OR go out at like 3 am, when it's settled down some and there are some pretty heavy things going on. I've seen rituals, lots of naked fire dancing and been involved in some prayer circles. but only way later. and always with my closest friends. try not to lose them. sat night sucks when you are all alone.
i guess you are never all alone out there, but is always seemed that way when i lost everyone.

it's just like a city. the more people, the lonlier you can be.

Madi :roll:
Blessed Cecilia, appear in visions to all musicians, (including me), appear and inspire

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:25 am

Late at night, the playa cools off considerably. Bring warm gear if you expect to be sitting around for a while, especially for events like the Opera.

Theivery spikes in events like this on the final day. Keep your wits about you. I've seen people's art get burned ahead of schedule by rioting mobs after the burn.

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:56 am

1. Leaving bikes at camp.

There's been an organized gang of thieves that riffle through camps when the Man burns. Don't know if they've been busted or not, but I always take my bike to the Burn, because a) It enforces a modicum of personal space, b) It's a recumbent with a *very* comfortable seat, and c) It's gonna be a LONG night of adventuring. I'm not up to hoofin' it around a 5-mile diameter city with a rucksack full of food, water, warm clothing, et alia.

To offset that, I stay back from the Burn crowd a good distance. I'm usually 100 yards back of the crowd. The Burn is huge, you don't have to have front-row seats to enjoy it, you won't miss a thing. I know people who set up to watch the Burn from the Esplanade and they still have a good time.
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:20 pm

The most important step, that most forget: If someone is standing in front of you, blocking your view, yell at the top of your lungs "Sit the Fu..k Down!!!!" That works great.

Oh! an if you bring a bunch of beer out there, just leave it where you were sitting, someone will be along shortly to clean it up.

Oh!#2 If you have found a pretty decent view spot and an art car comes and parks right in front of you, again blocking your view, move to a new spot and wait for the next art car to come and block your view. Repeat until you are esentially back at your camp.

Hope this helps

T. (Not bitter)

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:49 am

My ticket has assigned seats. Can't believe you all cheaped out and bought the general admission seats. I guess you get what you pay for...mine seems to be an aisle seat too so muffy and I are just tickled about our chances to network with high society. Lets make sure we all sit boy-girl OK?....super...ciao

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:59 am

Rule # 3--No people over a mile high are allowed in court.

It's the oldest rule in the book.

snark, snark, snark
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:15 am

How do I get the mezzanine box?

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:21 am

I intend to dive into the thickest part of the fray and emerge unscathed.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

Lorgasm

Post by Lorgasm » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:38 am

My past burn night experiences I've never really got that close to the burn. In 2004 my companion and I had a "spat" and seperated that night. It was wierd being off that night alone. However, I did have fun walking around meeting folks and then coming across this cool van playin 80's music. So many people dancin. I joined in then from there got a pretty great view of the man, the art cars, and the whole scene. Later, went to my camp and rehooked with my companion. The rest of the night was pretty cool too.

Bottom line: Ya don't have to worry so much of gettin too close. You'll have a great view and time where ever you are at. I did go back to the burn well after it happened (fire still going) and seen so many cool people there. It was a bitter sweet moment. You must try it.
BOOBIES!!!

phil

Post by phil » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:04 am

(Not bitter)
:-> Me neither:
http://www.cieux.com/bm/bestSeat.html
for how to get the best seat at the burn.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:48 am

I'm a little nostalgic about being in the truck as a medic on duty and watching from the 10:00 position a bit back. I've never seen the burn up close, actually...

I miss Scott. And I'm missing him more acutely these days.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

phil

Post by phil » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:27 am

The temple, hon. Use it wisely.

timber mischief

Post by timber mischief » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:38 am

As you head out to the burn take note of which way the wind is blowing. Watch from the upwind position or get smoked out.
Imagine of you will ............ round squares..... Not spherical cubes.............But round squares.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:49 am

phil wrote:The temple, hon. Use it wisely.
Why do you think I'm going this year?
The Lady with a Lamprey

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:48 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:...Why do you think I'm going this year?
Why for all the recreational sex, drug use, satan worship, and political organizing. Just like the rest of us, of course.

;)

Ron

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:50 pm

Actually, I need the week to do some intensive writing of junk mail.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:54 pm

Ron wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:...Why do you think I'm going this year?
Why for all the recreational sex, drug use, satan worship, and political organizing. Just like the rest of us, of course.

;)

Ron
Damn Ron, why did you have to go broadcasting that? Shhh!!!

K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:20 pm

Sorry, it was speeding over dunes that sank the Contessa
The Lady with a Lamprey

vic

Watching the burn

Post by vic » Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:28 am

My advice for watching the burn is to back off and watch from a distance. If you get up close you are likely to be packed in like a sardine with lot's of people shouting at each other to sit down or not to sit down or other hassles. You will be able to see just fine at the back of the crowd where the vibe is much better. It's just a big bon fire with fireworks.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:20 am

The surging crowd is part of the show. I have an old picture I took of a burn of the silhouette of the crowd of heathens around the burning man. I took it from quite a distance away.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”