Watch out when buying Duct tape....

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:35 am

¡Niers! wrote:
TomServo wrote:Gorilla tape
I second that. I've used Gorilla tape numerous times on the playa and it's worked out perfectly. In fact, it's still stuck on some things that have endured 2 winters outside. There's no way in hell that duct tape can do that.
I just wish they made white gorilla tape.
Word!
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:28 pm

Another use for the stuff
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:56 am

looks like the previously discussed brazilian bikini 'wax' with tape camp poster
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:55 pm

I am suprised no one mentioned Duct tape in the "shave your balls now!" thread.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:49 am

I was waiting for the perfect moment, Dick.

Too late now.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

xaramonkey
Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: yet Xara still remains

Post by xaramonkey » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Gaffers tape. That's not a brand name. Don't know why it's called that. Tape for gaffers I guess. It looks kinda like duct tape but stronger and stickier. If you stick it sticky side to sticky side you need two pairs of pliers to get it unstuck. Comes in different colors too. I've still got things taped together from like 10 years ago that have been to Blackrock and back a few times.

All-time worst: Duck Tape. The only reason it doesn't just fall off the roll is because it comes in shrink-wrapped plastic.
I said to the Good Abbot John: "Why would monkeys go from being covered in fur and having thumbs on 4 limbs to being naked and only having thumbs on 2?" He said to me: "Maybe we didn't come from monkeys, maybe THEY came from US."

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:26 am

"Gaffers" are part of the lighting crews in movie making. They use the tape to keep people from tripping over loose wires.
The word "gaffer" is much older though. It means, I believe, "grandfather" or "elder" and is also applied to the guy on a glass blowing team who does the really fancy stuff.
I don't know how to work "glory hole" into this post, so I wont.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:31 am

ygmir wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote: good idea!!
I can think of several who would benefit from a hat made from it, then.
Over or under the tin foil?
I can see a product line.........protection for astral influences, and, cohesive thought, either or both.

we can add chin straps, for those high speed conveyances.
Ahhhh so......

Like on my snail boat :lol:

And it would be under the tin foil so as to better reflect CME's. :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

xaramonkey

Post by xaramonkey » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:55 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"]"Gaffers" are part of the lighting crews in movie making. They use the tape to keep people from tripping over loose wires.
The word "gaffer" is much older though. It means, I believe, "grandfather" or "elder" and is also applied to the guy on a glass blowing team who does the really fancy stuff.
I don't know how to work "glory hole" into this post, so I wont.[/quote]

I knew it had something to do with roadies or stagehands. I kept thinking "grip" but grip tape is for skateboarders.

Why hasn't this been labeled a "sticky" Topic ?
I said to the Good Abbot John: "Why would monkeys go from being covered in fur and having thumbs on 4 limbs to being naked and only having thumbs on 2?" He said to me: "Maybe we didn't come from monkeys, maybe THEY came from US."

moonstonerick

Post by moonstonerick » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:56 am

When my neighbor built his house he used" Tucc " ( not sure about the spelling) tape to tape up all the seams in the vapor barrier. This stuff is really really sticky and very strong . My kid used it to cover up a busted tail light on his car and it stayed stuck there a long long time.
waiting to get devirginized

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:12 am

xaramonkey wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:"Gaffers" are part of the lighting crews in movie making. They use the tape to keep people from tripping over loose wires.
I don't know how to work "glory hole" into this post, so I wont.
I knew it had something to do with roadies or stagehands. I kept thinking "grip" but grip tape is for skateboarders.

Why hasn't this been labeled a "sticky" Topic ?
Yeah, I was thinking "stagehands" as well, but couldn't think why the tape had to leave not much residue. When you said "roadies" it was a hit-the-forehead "of course!" moment.

We're about to the limit of "stickies" in this forum. My screens have to scroll down in order for me to see the starred items, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
The Lady with a Lamprey

xaramonkey

Post by xaramonkey » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:31 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"][quote="xaramonkey"][quote="theCryptofishist"]"Gaffers" are part of the lighting crews in movie making. They use the tape to keep people from tripping over loose wires.
I don't know how to work "glory hole" into this post, so I wont.[/quote]

Why hasn't this been labeled a "sticky" Topic ?[/quote]

Yeah, I was thinking "stagehands" as well, but couldn't think why the tape had to leave not much residue. When you said "roadies" it was a hit-the-forehead "of course!" moment.

We're about to the limit of "stickies" in this forum. My screens have to scroll down in order for me to see the starred items, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.[/quote]

I really dont know wut a "sticky topic" is. Sticky to find it easy again later? Sticky situation kind of sticky? Just seemed like such an obvious pun on this topic.

I was never a REAL roadie, but I have been partly to blame for some good Big Shoooow'z. And some venues are "real sticklers" (a-holes sum ub ub'm) about handing flyers,thumb tacks in the walls, etc. etc. Now that u mention it, the gaffers tape does make for a clean pull off too. No mysterious hair filled goo after.

"Leave Not Much Residue" -too funny! Wasn't that the 90's clean-up slogan? Sure seemed like it. Ya know?... Back when men could burn their camp (or their neighbors)... at.... ya know... BURNINGMAN !!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:17 am

xaramonkey, your quote function will work if you go to your profile and enable your BBCode.

Sticky topics are the ones which are always at the top of the forum. They say "sticky" next to them.

xaramonkey

Post by xaramonkey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:57 pm

Thx AntiM. The E Playa's a little different since I really spent any time on this site til recently. I was wondering why the quotes were showing up as regular text.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Hey Xaramonkey,
are you that dude in the monkey suit running around in front of your camp with the armstilt extensions?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

xaramonkey

Post by xaramonkey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:55 pm

[quote="oneeyeddick"]Hey Xaramonkey,
are you that dude in the monkey suit running around in front of your camp with the armstilt extensions?[/quote]

Obliviously!!

xaramonkey

Post by xaramonkey » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:58 pm

[quote="xaramonkey"][quote="oneeyeddick"]Hey Xaramonkey,
are you that dude in the monkey suit running around in front of your camp with the armstilt extensions?[/quote]

Obliviously!![/quote]

BBCode yes...still no quote box ??

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:10 am

I have a pic of us from 2000-2001?

I was the dude that tried to rape your monkeybutt.

If that's not clear enough for you I think it was Tuesday night.

xaramonkey

Post by xaramonkey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:28 am

oneeyeddick wrote:I have a pic of us from 2000-2001?

I was the dude that tried to rape your monkeybutt.

If that's not clear enough for you I think it was Tuesday night.
Well...many have tried. None have succeeded. That's partly wut the gaffers tape is for.Butt the posing for the picture does ring a bell. Can u forward??
I'm pretty sure that was '01.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:39 am

I don't have a pic of the actual rape scene, but I do think I have one of you smiling afterwards, and a couple other ones of us dancing around also.

xaramonkey

Post by xaramonkey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:34 pm

Ya know... I don't think I have a single surviving picture of me in BRC taken by anybody on a camera that wasn't mine. All are welcome. Glad there's no evidence of the attempted-monkey-butt-rape. Hope you are too. Was that The Monkey Fruit Basket ??

TaPE tIP: If you ever find yourself trying to attach 2" PVC pipe @ 2-1/4" fittings. Wrap the pipe with good duct/gaffers tape. Pound the fitting on with a hammer. Wrap the outside of the fitting onto the outside of the pipe. Some body gifted me that tip. Saved my suit in '03.
To save your dome: Same tape steps. Then drill a hole thru the connection and add a nail, then bend. Or baling wire, then twist.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”