Easy ways to do Burning Man for indivduals and couples

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:44 am

I use metal tent post to make head room then stake to the ground.. You can get ajustable post in the tent dept most stores.. I also tarp all the way over the car top carrier.. This forms a air space above the car and keeps it cooler..

Lakshmi

Post by Lakshmi » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:54 am

Finnegan wrote:Those first two look like good options, and slave-labor cheep to boot! The third seems to cast too small a spot of (roaming) shade to be of a lot of help.

If you were to buy the second option, you could add fabric to the walls yourself, to make it more adjustable. And more prettified.
Yeah, I think you're right. I'm surprised I didn't think of adding fabric to the screened tent. So smart, thanks!

AlmostJaded

Post by AlmostJaded » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:58 pm

Lakshmi wrote:
Number 1 -
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5494012

Number 2 - This one is breathable, obviously, and less likely to blow away but it would be nice to have shade during the early and late part of the days and this doesn't look like it will work for that.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5494013

Number 3 - This thing "is made from heavy-duty knitted shade cloth (90% UV block) and is reinforced for incredible strength and durability." It says it is easy to set up and can be attached to virtually anything that's stablized. It seems like it would be the same thing as a tarp with the exception that it looks cooler.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... lang=en-US

I'll be driving a Toyota 4Runner and I could probably attach a tarp to it's roof and rebar the other end to the ground. In essence that would most likely be the easiest thing to do, but it would be impossible to stand up under without bringing poles to attach it to that would need to be pounded into the ground. (or something along those lines)

If anyone has any other ideas in the $60 or less range do send me in their direction. Thanks!
Hi Lakshmi

Hate to burst your bubble but the first two links you sent out are only for the shade material for the walls surrounding the gazebo. There's no actual gazebo structure included. The third link doesn't include any of the poles, just the sail with some hardware to clip it to poles that you'll need to provide.

If there's anyway you can double your budget for the shade? If not then probably the tarp attached to your truck is your best option. Don't despair, I'm sure there's plenty of folks hout there that did something similar their first time and they managed to survive just fine.

Good luck.
Ryan

Lakshmi

Post by Lakshmi » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:23 pm

AlmostJaded wrote:
Lakshmi wrote: Hi Lakshmi

Hate to burst your bubble but the first two links you sent out are only for the shade material for the walls surrounding the gazebo. There's no actual gazebo structure included. The third link doesn't include any of the poles, just the sail with some hardware to clip it to poles that you'll need to provide.

If there's anyway you can double your budget for the shade? If not then probably the tarp attached to your truck is your best option. Don't despair, I'm sure there's plenty of folks hout there that did something similar their first time and they managed to survive just fine.

Good luck.
Ryan
Damn, are you for real? That sucks! No wonder they are so cheap. I had another one picked out, but noticed it didn't provide the support structure and unfortunately hadn't noticed the same thing applied to the others. I knew the sail didn't come with any tho. There really isn't any way I can double my budget. I'm in between moving to a new state and don't have a job set up and am not sure I'll find one before BM. Guess I'll have to do the tarp thing after all. Thanks for pointing it out to me tho.

boomshanker

Post by boomshanker » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:03 pm

- FYI -

These light weight EZ ups can't take the constent pounding on the playa an after the first big wind storm. Well some do make it ok, but many just bend and tear. Unless your on the leadward side of an RV or larger type structure. So look for a place to camp that can keep you sheltered from the wind. Bring extra duct tape, rope, and rebar/stakes to anchor into the playa.

And don't unpack until you know which way the wind is blowing... ask someone if you can't tell. And tie everything down as secure as you can and then double check your work everyday! Oh if the wind begins to blow try and make it back to camp, just to check your gear...

After all that have lots of FUN...

See ya on the dance floor
The protector of day Mazatl (the Deer) is Tlaloc, He who makes seeds sprout, god of rain and thunderstorms...

phil

Individual meals requiring only hot water

Post by phil » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:07 pm

http://www1.freezerbagcooking.com/
This site wants to sell you their books, cozies, and such, but the navigation menu on the left includes links to menus.

Basically, you fill a zip-lock freezer bag with stuff, take it to the playa, pour in boiling water, wait minutes, then your meal's done. Eat directly from the bag, toss it on the playa, and you're good to go.

Here's how to heat your water:

[youtube][/youtube]

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:29 pm

The melting point for the plastic in all of these products is lower than that of boiling water. So, when you do this, you are ingesting plastic. Even the manufacturers of the baggies say this is unsafe.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

phil

Batter Blaster - spray pancakes

Post by phil » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:29 am

This is too good to pass up:
http://www.batterblaster.com/
is a can of spray pancake batter that says it's organic (emphasis in original). Yeah, organic batter in a can.

Remember, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so spray some pancakes on the griddle, releasing god knows what propellants into the air, instead of whipping up your own batter from a box.

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:44 pm

HeHe, batterblaster
No skillet? No stove? I bet it's good right out of the can, too, like cheese-in-a-can or whipped cream.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:03 pm

man, can we get any lazier? ther is already instant pancake batter that takes just water and some stirring. if your in that damn a hurry, skip the cooking at all and simply reheat the mass produced pancakes that are precooked.

phil

Post by phil » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:26 pm

Skygod's comment got me thinking - if I had a deep fryer, I could spray coat my twinkies in pancake batter!!!!!! And a turkey! MMMMMMM - chocolate sprayed in batter and fried.

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:03 pm

I could eat a shingle if you dipped it in batter and deep fried it. mmmm
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:03 pm

...and wrapped it in bacon!!!!!!
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

NellieX

Costco Carport

Post by NellieX » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:52 pm

So I'm hearing wonderful things about the 10x10 Costco carport, and as a noob with no carpenter skills, it sounds like a good idea. However...I can't seem to find anything matching the description. When I searched on Costco's website, all I got was this:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... allpartial

I'm assuming that's not even close. Can someone point me in the right direction?

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Re: Costco Carport

Post by mudpuppy000 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:55 pm

NellieX wrote:So I'm hearing wonderful things about the 10x10 Costco carport, and as a noob with no carpenter skills, it sounds like a good idea. However...I can't seem to find anything matching the description. When I searched on Costco's website, all I got was this:

I'm assuming that's not even close. Can someone point me in the right direction?
The website dosen't usually match what they have in the store. I'm not sure what size I saw but they had some a few weeks ago in southern california. They weighed a shit-ton though. :)

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:11 pm

NellieX wrote:
So I'm hearing wonderful things about the 10x10 Costco carport, and as a noob with no carpenter skills, it sounds like a good idea. However...I can't seem to find anything matching the description. When I searched on Costco's website, all I got was this:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.as ... arch=carpo rt&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P _CatalogName:BC&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode%20matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_S earch&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=carport&Ntt=carport&No=0&Nty=1& Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial

The website dosen't usually match what they have in the store. I'm not sure what size I saw but they had some a few weeks ago in southern california. They weighed a shit-ton though.
Good to hear! I'm not going until next year, but if they're still around, I won't worry about it. We've got a sam's club, costco, and some army surplus stores in my city, so I'm assuming I'll find it somewhere :)

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:07 pm

mudpuppy000 wrote:
NellieX wrote:So I'm hearing wonderful things about the 10x10 Costco carport, and as a noob with no carpenter skills, it sounds like a good idea. However...I can't seem to find anything matching the description. When I searched on Costco's website, all I got was this:

The website dosen't usually match what they have in the store. I'm not sure what size I saw but they had some a few weeks ago in southern california. They weighed a shit-ton though. :)
Indeed, they're probably over 100 pounds in the box.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:42 pm

EmilyD wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:

Indeed, they're probably over 100 pounds in the box.
That's ok, we're most likely taking two vehicles (for sanity and supply room).

Thanks for everyone's help!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Aren't they 10 x 20?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:35 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Aren't they 10 x 20?
I saw "10x10", but I'd welcome a larger size. The bigger the better.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:02 pm

Go for the 10x20. If you plan to use it for a kitchen as well, the 10x10 will be kinda small.
Go to CostCo and see if they have one. We go to sam's now, and they don't have them, at least not the one right by us.
And yeah, they are F-ing heavy. If you're taking a vehicle with a low load limit, maybe think about something else.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

NellieX

Post by NellieX » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:53 pm

illy dilly wrote:Go for the 10x20. If you plan to use it for a kitchen as well, the 10x10 will be kinda small.
Go to CostCo and see if they have one. We go to sam's now, and they don't have them, at least not the one right by us.
And yeah, they are F-ing heavy. If you're taking a vehicle with a low load limit, maybe think about something else.
We plan on having at least 4 people, so more space is always welcome. And yes, it would be nice to keep the food area a bit separate from the general sitting area.

We're not sure yet what we'll be driving. We have a Buick LeSabre at the moment, but we don't plan on taking it to Nevada and back...it's too damn old. I'm hoping we'll rent a truck or a van, and we're aiming for two vehicles. We might even be able to borrow a (very) small trailer. Should we be worried about the load still?

ACK! So much to plan and think about! But I'm a pro (at least, I flatter myself that I am).

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:48 am

Super Helpful phil! Thank You!

I need to shade my tent, it's crunch time for me (extra work i e need to bring some medical equipment) and want to make more art! 2-d and mini performance

@skygod i want to do your plan (hope costco has them this week)
what length rebar and did you dull ends or bend into a paper clip like shape (someone suggested the paperclip here, thnx!)

if costco is out of these i could buy a shade 3 walled job from walmrt/big box store and use a razor to cut slits on the sides for winds. slits may be moppy?
perhaps use a soldering iron to seal moopy slits?
or duct tape slits and spray paint (in wind/breeze? eek) some flames or designs over the ugly tape.

i am arriving Tuesday and staying til Sunday+...yea!

****any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated! big time!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:45 pm

You can buy shade cloth from this company and get it delivered super quickly:

http://www.gemplers.com/shop/shade-cloth-b

Make sure to order enough grommets (include extras).
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”