Quick fix

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Quick fix

Post by unjonharley » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:00 am

Just like the bag of frozen pee's is a temperary ice pack on an owy..

If you need a clean bandage/pressure pad, A clean cotton sock will do the trick..

How about some more quickies??

Blackbird

Re: Quick fix

Post by Blackbird » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:53 pm

unjonharley wrote:Just like the bag of frozen pee's is a temperary ice pack on an owy..

Frozen Pee? Ewwww

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :P

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:20 pm

A clean diaper makes a good emergency trauma bandage, probably cleaner than any sock. I said "clean" you know.

Wait a minute did you say "quickie"?

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:08 pm

We used a Kotex pad as an emergency dressing until we got mylarry to the ER after the glass shards speared his calf.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:08 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:A clean diaper makes a good emergency trauma bandage, probably cleaner than any sock. I said "clean" you know.

Wait a minute did you say "quickie"?

\/
Not all of us wear diaper, Dougly.. But you go ahead and use what you have..I said quicky..But for you I would take my shoes off..

misfit
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:15 pm

duct tape,,, fixes all. i had a wart and mom said wrap it in duct tape. a week later, it was gone.
a few good uses,
* condom
* bandage
* bondage
* tape
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:20 pm

misfit wrote:duct tape,,, fixes all. i had a wart and mom said wrap it in duct tape. a week later, it was gone.
a few good uses,
* condom
* bandage
* bondage
* tape

\/
*gag

Could not stop myself..I'm so ashamed...

Cabana Springs

Post by Cabana Springs » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:54 pm

Frozen Peas....... Oh Yeah Baby!

Super Glue works for small cuts.
Filing taxes is not truely voluntary!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:02 pm

Cabana Springs wrote:Frozen Peas....... Oh Yeah Baby!

Super Glue works for small cuts.
\/
I buy the cards of super glue at the dollar store..Cat and I play rough and his finger nails are shape and pointy..

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:24 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

skeetsh00ter

Post by skeetsh00ter » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:02 pm

for a bloody nose nothing works better than a tampon...at least thats what i hear. apparently its a common first aid item for wrestling teams.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:08 pm

Blackbird wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Just like the bag of frozen pee's is a temperary ice pack on an owy..

Frozen Pee? Ewwww

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :P
Fresh Pee is sterile and potable! It is also good to flush wounds with if need be. No nasty little bacteria to screw you up like creek water etc. If you don't use sterile pee than you can get infected.. than on to maggot therapy!!
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

Blackbird

Post by Blackbird » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:50 am

Toolmaker wrote: Fresh Pee is sterile and potable! It is also good to flush wounds with if need be. No nasty little bacteria to screw you up like creek water etc. If you don't use sterile pee than you can get infected.. than on to maggot therapy!!

Yeah, but would you really drink it? Especially someone elses.
And urine is only sterile if you get it straight from the bladder. There are indeed bacteria on your genitals, believe it or not. :roll: And could very well be on/in the receptacle you catch the urine in. And of course if the person urinating has a UTI or hepatitis or other, this could be easily transmitted by drinking his urine.
If all you drink is your own urine, you are just recycling your waste products, essentially counteracting the fine job of excreting waste your kidneys just did for you. Which ends up being like you don't have working kidneys=dead you. I'm sure this takes quite a while of drinking only one's own urine, and a great percentage of it, but I just wanted to clear this up as many people seem to think it's just the same as water and can never cause you any harm.

:)

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:19 am

AntiM wrote:We used a Kotex pad as an emergency dressing until we got mylarry to the ER after the glass shards speared his calf.
We'll have to compare scars! Actually, I caught the glass a little BELOW the calf- 17 stitches to close. I used my trusty bandanna and a sock as a dressing, with a nylon bale-strap as a tourniquet. (Sharp edges! Yikes!) Of course I was wearing my favorite boots, one of which got filled with blood and has "never been the same".

The only "Pee" that I consider safe to drink ends in "Bee-Arr".
Howdy From Kalamazoo

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:31 am

for quick repairs nothing beats duct tape - We use it in theatre quite a bit to seal wounds until a corpsman can be found.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:35 am

I was gonna say...who said anything about "drinking" pee, i thought we were dressing wound care?

Alcohol my dear folks...flush with anything 50 proof or higher it will evaporate, for larger gushy'er wounds, turnikit, elavate(above heart), till bleeding stops...then duct tape, till you find first aid kit in your tent or can get to med-tent.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:39 am

robotland wrote:
AntiM wrote:We used a Kotex pad as an emergency dressing until we got mylarry to the ER after the glass shards speared his calf.
We'll have to compare scars! Actually, I caught the glass a little BELOW the calf- 17 stitches to close. I used my trusty bandanna and a sock as a dressing, with a nylon bale-strap as a tourniquet. (Sharp edges! Yikes!) Of course I was wearing my favorite boots, one of which got filled with blood and has "never been the same".

The only "Pee" that I consider safe to drink ends in "Bee-Arr".
His have healed up pretty well, but they're visible. He had both internal and external stitches, I forget how many, double digits I think. Yes, his shoes filled with blood and he was mad that I threw them out. The thorn-piercing his thigh scar, that's a cool story. And his middle finger is forever fucked because he had a glass splinter shatter inside the tendon sheath, which required surgery, which led to a staph infection, which leads to the nutritionist trying to fatten him up and fed him 9,000 calories a day for 45 days in the hospital and he still didn't put on weight story.

Oh yeah, stories which involve blood and scars. I am so there.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:21 am

thread drift...but its funny...Puncture wound.

Senerio: 10 Bored kids in a culdesac, 1 bike with missing seat.Hot summer day.My age 9.

Ok so it was finally my time to ride...(why we all wanted to ride this broken bike when our complete bikes stood on our lawns is still beyond me?)
So I start off...(you had to sit on rear wheel cover, going around the culdesac side walk, all the front lawns were hilled to the side walk,sloping)
and the fun part (i guess) is that each time a new person road on it, we all ran along side??? for support of the great gadget???

Everyones cheering me on and clammering around me...someone bumps me...and over I go...hmmm (never saw that 1" flat headed screw)
Now have bike firmly attached to me via 1" screw inside right thigh.

Kids are freaking out screaming..running all through the culdesac trying to find an adult....some are trying their best to PULL bike out of me...unfortunately at a sideways angle.

I get the bike off.
I limp over to my mom, and because of the mania, of course Im screaming bloody murder.

Mom doctors me up but I wanna go to hospital, at age 9 I think Im dying!!
Moral of story: Dont do something stupid when your mom's on MUSHROOMS!
She definatley wont take you to the hospital! Luckily the wound was deep enough to pull out fatty tissue and cease the bleeding.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:37 am

I had a tendon blow in my "fuck you" finger..Two days after comp payed off for permanent damage ($11.2oo) I bumped the finger..I was speaking with a polish accent ei:Swinging my arms about..I hit that finger so hard..How hard did i hit it?..I think it stunt my growth..Anyway after the pain subsided the finger worked fine.. Has ever sence..No I dont not recomend the treatment.. Just in case you were wounderng..

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:17 am

spider webs stop bleeding...

Fex

Post by Fex » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:28 pm

Ground cayenne pepper also stops bleeding quite well. But that first minute or so after application will let ya know what you're made of.

Owww :shock:
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music. - GC

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:17 pm

I don't think I'm going to tell any dramatic stories just now.

I like new skin for wounds.
It actually saves me money over bandaids and works better.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:50 am

1/2 pint of "real" Everclear in the 1st aid kit. Good for sterilizing stuff, can be diluted to 70% (which is the same as isopropyl) with a bottle of water, or drunk for anesthesia. 151 Bacardi or "California" Everclear is almost as good, neither is as deadly as Isopropyl but about the same strength as.... And too strong to drink straight (unless you're from Terminal City... heh heh heh)

Did you know... Athletes foot fungus and Playa are mutually incompatable? That's right - playa dust, used like Foot Powder, will off your casew of athletes foot. Don't know if it works on Jock Itch, tho... (Ewwww...) If you're more in a hurry...
Antifreeze? Yep. Made Famous for Fatalizing Fido, Ethylene Glycol will kill fungus as well as anything else. *Really* nasty stuff, but in a pinch... Kind of like Clorox.
(Side note - if you dip your weewee in Clorox and Anti-freeze to cure your Jock Itch, *DON'T* come cozying up to me!!! You HAVE been warned!)

Speaking of Freeze... Ice is nice, salt on it is cooler, evaporating alcohol (remember your Everclear?) works, too... but if the cans of PBR are "playa chilled" (aka - Warm), your cooler is fresh out of frozen Peas (or pee, for that matter), and you can't make it to REMSA or the plazas? Dry Ice wrapped in thick newspaper (like 10-12 pages) can be used as an emergency cold compress. If ya got nothing else, There ya go! Dry Ice, by SolidAire Labs, is the magical cure-all. Dry Ice - The Miracle Medicine for the Modern Age! Ask your doctor if Dry Ice is right for you!!!

(Warning - Dry Ice is not for everyone. Dry Ice will also burn off warts, excess appendages, and generally f*** you up if mishandled... Some people have adverse reactions to Carbon Dioxide, including cessation of breathing, cyanosis, and brain damage if inhaled, or various gastrointestinal problems if swallowed. Unprotected contact with Dry Ice can and will cause Frostbite, leading to Gangrene, Amputation, and Death. See your Doctor if these symptopms appear, or they persist or worsen. Some people should not use dry ice - the very young, the very stoned, or the very stupid.)

Playa Foot? Easy - Wash in vinegar SALT water, rub with olive oil, and PUT YOUR SHOES ON!!! You can arrest Playa foot if caught early-on..

Sus

robotland

Post by robotland » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:44 am

pinemom wrote: Senerio: 10 Bored kids in a culdesac, 1 bike with missing seat.Hot summer day.My age 9.

YOW!

I did a spectacular over-the-handlebars move at that same age- Riding down a steep hill through woods until I hit a stump and flew headfirst through a grove of saplings. I had a perfect Bond Villain scar, starting at my hairline and going all the way down to my collarbone except for skipping (whew!) on the orbit of my left eye. Proof of the amazing healing power (and luck) of the young, there's nary a sign remaining of it but an intermittent eyebrow-twitch-thingie. I remember being really mad (at the time) that it healed up so nicely!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Rocket75377

Post by Rocket75377 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:48 am

I used to cut myself all the time on Xacto knives when I was building rockets wholesale. For DIY sutures, I would keep a bottle of isopropyl and a designated bottle (designated but still not sterile) of quick-drying cyanoacrylate (superglue) in my workshop. It's essentially the same thing they would do at the ER, without filling out pesky insurance claim forms.
I am the people your parents warned you about.

"How would Horatio Alger have handled this?"

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:00 am

robotland wrote: I remember being really mad (at the time) that it healed up so nicely!
Well I guess at that young age I was still in shock about the size of the puncture, Mom kept it closed with butterfly strips in the shape of a star. And since it was summer, shorts being worn helped. somewhere in my 20's I thought it was a huge gross scar, in my 30's it became a drunk party "story favor" now in my 40's...well its just part of me!Along with the other 52 scars I wear with pride of a job well done!
And newest to my collection is my frying porkchops nakked scar...thats a nice "party favor story"...and one hell'av a scar to boot!
Thanks to vit. E,fresh aloe vera(which i figured I'd pick up a baby plant for playa side)and neosporin it never blistered...and BOY it shouldve!!!!

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:43 am

Bag of fresh pink shop rags & a bottle of tequila.

What were we talking about?

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:44 am

well,Bob, I dont think it was the recipe for a molatuve cocktail!
hahaaa

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:50 am

Learn to tie this, in case of head wounds.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:14 am

[quote="pinemom"]
And newest to my collection is my frying porkchops naked scar...thats a nice "party favor story"...and one hell'av a scar to boot!
[/ed quote]

Okay- You'll have to have Scar Story Nite at the Booby Bar.

I learned about nudity and soldering as a teenager...Still have an artificial freckle on Lil' Robo's "sensor dome" from assembling a Heathkit radio on a hot day.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”