What about those pre-trip nightmares, eh?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

What about those pre-trip nightmares, eh?

Post by Zhust » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:46 am

I'm tired of waking up with yet another nightmare about Burning Man. This year will be my third and my girlfriend of 1.5 years (as of the burn) will be going with me for the first time. I plan on camping alone (not with a theme camp or group) this year. Obviously there are challenges and such but I think I'm handling things pretty well.

So basically I have these nightmares in the morning -- perhaps anxiety attacks, perhaps "challenges" from my subconscious. They have me pitted against the mythical "insufferable jerk". This jerk will do something rotten. Things like:
  • When we arrive to set up camp, their camp has moved the ropes delineating camps, leaving us with a 3'x10' space and claiming that it's perfectly adequate size. We butt heads arguing that that space is too small for us.
  • The neighboring camp decides to place their loud, smelly generator in our back yard. I have no adequate diplomatic solution, offering that they either place it in the middle of their camp ("but it's so noisy and smelly!") or I menace that I'll ensure it's quiet while holding a hammer.
  • An anonymous jerk slashes one of our tires. We get the spare and get to Bruno's but they only sell used tires in bad condition.
  • Some jerk steals our license plates just before exodus. He taunts us from his poorly-loaded truck. On the way out, after making paper replacements, we find he's crashed but okay. He offers the plates back and I refuse to help him on grounds that it's for karma to resolve.
It's not so much everyday that there are more, but at least a few each week and it seems to be getting worse.

I realize the statistics are in my favor -- people are generally amenable to finding middle ground and are generally not jerks. It's just that the possibility of encountering such a mythical jerk is not out of the question ... perhaps having to camp next to the worst yahoos on the Playa. Plus, in person I tend to come up with more options whereas in dreams, I'm unable to choose things like just moving camp elsewhere.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

robotland

Post by robotland » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:58 am

Black Rock City is a pretty safe place...It's actually located on the seashore, a mile or so from downtown Steve City, (Great sushi bar there!) not far from the university. There's a fairly large open field running along the edge of it, and a tall dirt berm that hides The Man from casual view.
At least, that's how it looks in these weird dreams I have now and then.
And I've had the "Hooray! I finally made it! I'm at the Gate....Oh MY GOD- Where's the TICKET!!???!!" dream a coupla times, too.
Never had a dream about being hassled by anyone INSIDE Black Rock City, though...But I'm a pretty trusting soul once I pass the Greeters. A trusting soul who locks his bike....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:17 am

My BRC nightmares are that the event is over. I've has a couple. :x

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:52 am

My nightmare is that people are telling me about what a great time everyone had with Mutaytor and Dr Megavolt, best party ever but I slept through it. Or, man the deep end was just kicking ass, the people were so fucking hot, the tunes fucking rocked and vibes were PERFECT. but I slept through it. Or this beautiful hottie rode me like a stallion but I slept through it.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

skygod

Post by skygod » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:39 am

The challenges in your dreams, JayC, seems to me to be not what is happening, but your emotional reaction to what is happenning.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:14 am

my Playa Dreams are all pretty similar: BM occurs in a green rolling countryside with plenty of trees, there is a small town on the outskirts of the Playa and people come and go between the two, and I've faffed around almost the entire week setting things up and suddenly realize I haven't even made out into the playa to see the art or to see the Man.

Its the exact opposite of the universal dream of impending final exams and not having gone to a single class. Too much preparation, too little time to savor life. Maybe its my subconscious reflection on my approach to life in general.

Okay, session's over, please pay out front.

nogganoodle
Camp Name: Booby Bar, UK Envoy

Post by nogganoodle » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:15 am

My nightmares usually involve not being able to get through immigration after my experience of getting through last year.

I tried to come through without saying that I was here for Burning Man as I thought that a body cavity search would probably follow shortly after mentioning those two words. I ended up with the friendly Greeter/ Immigration Officer looking at me as if I was here to corrupt the Nation with my British ways (whatever they may be!), raping and pillaging my way across the country.

This year I will mention the Burn and take my cavity search with dignity!
You don't need a license to drive a sandwich

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:23 am

Playa stress dreams, aren't they great? ;) For my camp we've got to interface with a number of commercial vendors and I often dream that we're packing up to leave and I haven't called any of them. Or that the RV I borrow isn't in driving shape, or that I've forgotten to pack food and so on. For myself I just have to remember that those dreams are more a reflection of what's going on inside of me than what's going on in the world around me....

Ron

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:48 am

the nightmares usually hit on the way home, when we turn onto hwy. 80. maybe open up camp ZANAX for a few of you...
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:56 am

I've definitely had the 'where's my ticket' dream. That's one of those wake up in a cold sweat moments, too...Then I get to the gate in real life and have a little deja vu sensation for a second and a little panic creeps over me like someone pouring cold water very slowly down my neck. And then I realize it's in the glovebox, give over my ticket, and open my first and now traditional pina colada wine cooler.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:22 am

Teo del Fuego wrote:my Playa Dreams are all pretty similar: BM occurs in a green rolling countryside with plenty of trees, there is a small town on the outskirts of the Playa and people come and go between the two, and I've faffed around almost the entire week setting things up and suddenly realize I haven't even made out into the playa to see the art or to see the Man.
That's my dream, except the playa is enclosed in a maze or sets of rambling stages, indoors and confusing. I do have the open playa dream now and again, but yeah, It's always Sunday and I haven't seen the art.

Then there was the one where the man was neon blue, but an Archer, and hanging in space over the horizon. Or the one where we were on the bike and the art cars were all ten stories high, ready to crush us. Or the art project of the pool surrounded by shepherd's crooks dangling rusted chains like cruel windchimes. Or the retired Jewish RVer's excauvating for an Olympic pool. or the time the streets were all rubber safety matting.

falk

Post by falk » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:53 pm

My dream is always the same: I've arrived at the gate, and forgotten to build my art project.

(I think this dream is a replacement for the "I went to work and forgot my pants" dream, which isn't really relavent at BM.)

Zhust
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Post by Zhust » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:05 pm

falk wrote:My dream is always the same: I've arrived at the gate, and forgotten to build my art project.
It's funny that I seldom have the "I forgot" kind of dreams (just wait until tomorrow ...) Especially considering it's 2,120 miles as the crow flies from where I live ... around 2,832 by car. I guess I have reasonable confidence of my own ability to get there properly.

In a way my dreams fit with my philosophy and upbringing: I have faith in individuals, but I don't trust people. That is, if I can deal with someone one-on-one, it's generally a pleasant or good experience. If I deal with people in groups or group-think, then it's not so good. I still don't quite know why. It's a bummer a lot of times -- the unknown is always worse than it actually turns out. Hmm.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

shinfain

and i thought i was the only one

Post by shinfain » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:42 am

totally dismissing these dreams... i've already had about a dozen, three or four in the past week.

nearly every one involves sort of accidentally showing up without anything. and it's not that i hadn't prepared but that i had somehow gotten out there and everything cool and/or neccesary i was to bring was all sitting at home.

last night: everyone i was with decided they wanted to camp on the top floor of the parking structure just shy of the debris fence. i tried to explain that this was in no way what we should be doing, cajoled and whined about living in a concrete parking lot just like in the city was a vehement denial of the stark beauty of the dusty earth beneath you as you rose. they just sneered, giggled, slurped their udon and ignored me.

last week: after taking a tunnel train-ride on a tri-level train and singing harmony with tori amos in a bar-top performance (she was also either a zombie or just had really good make-up) of "father lucificer," i had to leave the train because of the invading demon horde and travel with a dozen people through winding catacombs, slaying snakes and giant scorpions. when we finally made our way out into the sun, a lovely masked dancer was whirling before us on the playa and so happy to see me. and i was just bummed that i'd have to rely, like blanche dubois, on the kindness of strangers all week...

many of the rest involve the showing up with nothing by accident or the being there and finding everything looking like a fully sponsored (budweiser banners, giant inflatable red bull cans) music festival or parking lot sale... the latter are much, much worse, that sucking-hollow-in-the-pit-of-your-stomach sense of sorrow and loss...

yippee!!! nightmares!

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:52 am

The worst one yet- I'm right in the middle of Burning Man, when I suddenly realize that I'm......fully clothed.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

FabFascist

Post by FabFascist » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:52 pm

I am a person who checks the freezer when he can't find his keys....

Nightmares of losing the ticket... you can't even imagine. It is always the same... at the gate... carload of people... center lane... Monday morning at 1:30am... 50 cars in front of me.. about a million behind me... 3 lanes of traffic on both sides... everybody in the car has their ticket ready... mine is gone...

I wake up in a cold sweat... every time.

skygod

Post by skygod » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:47 pm

jaycerochester wrote: I have faith in individuals, but I don't trust people. That is, if I can deal with someone one-on-one, it's generally a pleasant or good experience. If I deal with people in groups or group-think, then it's not so good. Hmm.
The difference is; when you're dealing with groups, you're dealing with your expectations of what consciousness should be, when you're dealing with an individual, you're dealing with an actual separate consciousness.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

pbmaniac2000

Post by pbmaniac2000 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:58 pm

My one playa nightmare that i have had was really quite scary. Had a dream that i took mushrooms one night, and they were super potent and kicked my back side. I think it was like monday night. What happened next really messed with my head. I woke up (in my dream) and walked out of my tent. My friend caley was there, and says "wow you are finally up, you just missed the burn." What a sinking feeling. I missed everything.

Pretty much she said that I had slept through all of burning man. The emts said i was just sleeping and all my vitals were fine.

Alligatorz

Post by Alligatorz » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:15 pm

That's funny that you mentioned checking your freezer for lost keys....I do that too!! I didn't know anyone else did that.

My one nightmare doesn't involve the playa experience itself, but my cat that I will leave behind. I've had a nightmare where I went to burning man and then return back to Denver to find that the people whom I trusted to check in on my cat and make sure his bowls are filled, totally neglected their promise and I find my cat hasn't had food or water for the entire week while I was away.

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:22 pm

Cool! My only playa anxiety dream also involved my cat. It seems i had accidentally taken him to the playa with me, and the whole week was spent tracking/protecting him.

Playa Anxiety would be a great camp!
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

bigbluedoggy
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:56 pm

Ooooh playa nightmares! I've only had one this year so far... I don't recall how, but somehow we were rushed to get to the playa and got there without most of our stuff. I remember feeling totally helpless and forlorn... just a scattered fragment.

I also have had many dreams in my life where I have forgotten to take care of my pets, and get this horrible, "what an evil nasty person you are" sort of feeling. What makes them even stranger is that I haven't even had a pet in almost 30 years... The brain is weird.

*woof woof* :-P
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

Vice

Post by Vice » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:27 pm

Last year before going to Burning Man, the pre-trip nightmare involved a big dark cloud with a tornado on the playa.
A few weeks later at Burning Man '06, I was suddenly in the middle of the gigantic playa dust devil. Didn't even see it before it was on top of us. We were lucky nobody was hurt. Large pieces of our camp's structure was uprooted and tossed everywhere.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:46 pm

I had a dream... I was at BM, but it was in a lot in the middle of town. There was a chain-link fence around it. There were houses right next to it, and businesses right across the street. I remember being disappointed, thinking "aw man, it was better where it was"...

And then I dreamed it was in a parking garage...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:41 am

I've had recurrent dreams since I've been going to BRC where the event is held on a fairground, there are people camping in the restrooms, in the animal stalls, tents pitched on these hills next to paved roads against these cyclone fences (more on these in a sec), being totally lost, with all these booths like you see in the commercial pavillions of county fairs, with a cheap 70's house band playing on stages throughout. Feeling totally lost, wandering around not knowing how I got there, where I was camped, walking through tents to other tents, etc. There's always cyclone fences around it with paved roads around those, and walking through people's yards or camped on the sidewalks in tents outside the event. and having to go through or over these fences to get to the event. And then trying to leave and being totally lost, losing my car or truck, not having a way to get back to whereever it was I came from, and those who I went there with vanishing into thin air.

The details are different on occasion but the basis is the same.

phil

Post by phil » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:41 pm

When we arrive to set up camp, their camp has moved the ropes delineating camps, leaving us with a 3'x10' space and claiming that it's perfectly adequate size. We butt heads arguing that that space is too small for us.
The neighboring camp decides to place their loud, smelly generator in our back yard. I have no adequate diplomatic solution, offering that they either place it in the middle of their camp ("but it's so noisy and smelly!") or I menace that I'll ensure it's quiet while holding a hammer.
I've had those happen to me. Louise and I were in a theme camp years ago with an alotment of space, and on site, the dimensions were much less than we were told; there was a reason, but I've forgotten it, but we got screwed out of space. Louise and I were among the last to arrive, and we just set up camp elsewhere. There was literally no room for our van, tent, and shade. The bright side is, we had just as much fun, made new friends - the usual result of camping at Burning Man.

And another year, some jerkoffs set up their shade structure, put their generator in the space between their shade and our, then used it to run the blender everytime they made drinks. They'd come out, crank it up, smile at us, make daquiries, turn it off, go back inside their shade. Jerkoffs.

scotto
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Pre-Playa Nitemare

Post by scotto » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:06 am

Last nite I woke up out of a deep sleep with an awful Pre-Playa nitemare...

When we got to the Greeter Station and received our copy of the Who, What, Where, When...

All the events were listed as TBA (To be Announced)

Scotto
Burning Man is a Participatory Sport! Lead by Example!

trypical

Post by trypical » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:36 am

I just had my first playa dream.

The man came alive and walked right up to me, except when he looked me in the eye he had the face of george washington and was wearing a pick furry hat.

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:29 pm

I have dreams several times a year that it's Event Sunday, the whole week has gone by and I haven't seen a single thing because I was working so much I never left my office/trailer, and everyone's packing up to go home.

That dream sucks!

skygod

Post by skygod » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:46 pm

They MRI'd a rats brain when it was learning a maze,
and found a unique pattern for each spot in the maze the mouse got a snack/reward.
That night when the mouse was asleep, the same sequence of unique patterns repeated themselves over and over, sometimes very fast.
(From last night's NOVA)

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:43 pm

I'll guess that you're doing your damnedest to cover all the bases as you strike off on your own, and also trying to go the extra mile in helping your girl prepare. And that's awesome.

But that'd be my guess as to where the nightmares are coming from. They're far from fears based in reality, but instead an extension of the conscious effort you're putting into these things.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say to try not to sweat over your camp details so much, don't let it get you worked up.

Good luck!

~Trilo~

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”