What about those pre-trip nightmares, eh?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:41 am

Last night I dreamt we were at our regional because there was no more Burning Man, and we were low on funds, so TPTB decided there was a hippy fest from San Diego who could bring in 4000 people and enough money to host a week long event. We were in a big open field, but coverde with grass and dirt clods. All the tents were khaki canvas and so close together they were touching. There was no art.

My job was to draw a map on a big vinyl tarp, but I had to keep adding new things until it was a mess. We had all the rangers, and we were trying to make the event work, but the hippy fest was bringing sports drinks and American Express as sponsors. So I tried to leave, but got lost in the Rainbow Tent City, and ended up underground. I had to claw my way to the surface, and when they found me, I was pointing deliriously at the mountains shrieking," If we can cross the prairie, we can find the playa!"

Oh, and the tattoo gut was there, but all his tatts were in sharpie.

Dork

Post by Dork » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:56 am

The other night I dreamt I was driving down to Burning Man and when I was 4/5 of the way there I realized I forgot the shower structure for our camp. I looked at a map to determine how far it was to get back home versus to drive to Reno (I'm coming from the North so don't normally pass through any major cities) to pick up new lumber. Then I sat down and drew out plans for a new shower including all the measurements, cost calculations, and figuring out how I'd get it all cut and assembled.

I normally don't go into any details like that at all in my dreams. It's rare that I face a problem and actually solve it.

The Hosh

Post by The Hosh » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:59 pm

I keep having the dream of US Customs officials having a strong disliking to BM and not letting me across the border.
2007 photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoshq/collections/72157601792465754/
2006 photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoshq/collections/72157601425440501/

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:39 pm

Not a playa dream, but a nightmare nonetheless.

I dreamed I was eating something beefy, ground beef in some form or another. I took a bite and to my great dismay, there was a cat turd in it and I controlled the urge to puke all the way to the sink and then spat it all out. I woke up immediately after.

The taste of the turd was so vivid that it stuck with me for a few minutes after waking. So did the urge to vomit.

The moral? If you can help it, don't eat can't turds, awake or asleep.

Another universally applicable bit of wisdom dispensed from your's truly.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:03 am

How do you know what cat turds taste like?
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:41 am

Finnegan wrote:How do you know what cat turds taste like?
My first thought, also. My dog thinks the catbox is a snack buffet, but you? Should we decline a kiss if offered?

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:46 pm

Finnegan wrote:How do you know what cat turds taste like?
They taste just like they smell. delicious!
AntiM wrote:My dog thinks the catbox is a snack buffet
read: "Kitty Krunchies"
AntiM wrote:Should we decline a kiss if offered?

No way! Where's your spirit of adventure? Plus, you'd find out what I use to freshen my breath after...here's a hint; it's organic and I save it in jars in the dungeon, er, basement I mean.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

dixie

nightmares

Post by dixie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:26 pm

My Burning Man dreams are that I've forgotten all food and water. My friend's dreams are that she forgot all the vodka. Between the two dreams we've forgotten everything.
I also dream that BM is underground, or in an incredibly hilly place where you can't see anything that's going on, or on small islands surrounded by water where you have to use a boat to go from camp to camp.

Don Gately

Post by Don Gately » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:38 pm

Each year, when I dream about the week, the city gets denser and more urban sprawl, more industrialized.

It started as a gravelly desert with yucca and scrub-brush, and a nearby overpass, where people who refused to go home after Exodus stayed camped out around flickering fires.

Then an enormous parking lot surrounded by a chain-link fence, near a football stadium.

Then it was a U.S.-Mexico border town, squalid but sparsely populated. Big concrete buildings; we had to sleep in bunk beds because there were so many of us at my camp.

Most recently, it was just Center Camp, and the whole thing was a coat-check operation. Just jackets and sweaters hanging everywhere, and hundreds of people dedicated to hanging, finding, and re-hanging everyone's winterwear.

Davoid

Post by Davoid » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:19 pm

Auggghhhhh- last night, the whole thing took place in a big U of indoor structures, though some camps tricked out the spaces well with all kinds of hanging, hammock-y substructures. Pretty soon, my travels took me to a cubicled office type of place, and good god if we weren't all acting like we were at work. I was quite sad at the turn of events, and the turn of The Event.

The scary part is, I haven't even worked in an office in five years. Yeesh.

chiefdanfox

last night

Post by chiefdanfox » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:27 am

I was waiting tables in Center Camp, completely clothed, and I had plenty of money for change.

condor
Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: Eurotaché

Post by condor » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:02 am

I've had the same ones ever since I first went seven years ago. Not often, maybe one or two a year.

It's always a variation on the same theme- that BM has moved to a new location and it's shit!

Usually the location is an unused university campus or sports ground, sometimes just a random patch of land on the edge of a city.

On one occasion BM was on a patch of land just outside (bordering) San Francisco. Accomodation was bunk beds in small concrete buildings and the event itself was a parade, where theme camps paraded their stuff through the shabby looking site while others lined the route and watched. It lasted only a day or two.

In another dream, the site was made up of muddy fields with gravel paths criss crossing through small hills. The weather was cold and windy, and the mud was thick, and I took a long time to navigate along a maze of paths leading through boring fields filled with small deserted tents or just expanses of grass and mud. When I finally got to where all the people were (maybe 20 or 30 of them), I found them competing in teams tried to push open big wooden things that look a bit like canal locks!

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Reoccuring

Post by Clar-i-ty » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:09 am

Yup. My reoccurring dream is that I get to the playa and am completely unprepared. I have no sleeping bag, not enough water, no playa gear. Usually it means I'm totally worried about something else that I'm normally prepared for or that I expect to be prepared for.

I know this because I don't leave for 26 days and I already did a dry run for my load plan.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”