I'm nervous

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Don Gately

I'm nervous

Post by Don Gately » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:18 pm

I'm trying to put it all together at the last minute, on account of I just decided to go last week. So that means planning. Thinking about stuff like costumes and gifts just distracts me, keeps me from getting my essentials together:
1. food
2. shade
3. energy
4. waste management

I have to do it by myself this year, get these Big 4 together, then I can think about joining a camp. Self-Reliance is the most important. Ok, lots of grains (quinoa, couscous), PVC dome, PV power supply, pressure cooker to distill graywater.

But by the time I get it all together, my friends' camps will all be full, I'm sure. And what if I can't do it? I have no car except what I'm renting to go out there. No tight clique with time to gather free materials. Just me, freaking out. Go out there unprepared, as if I haven't gone 3 times before and done fine every time, only to make a total embarassment of myself this time?

It all makes me worry way too much. All that anxiety turns to lust, boiling over, and I fall into daydreams about getting blown under a mister while a dust storm rages outside this transparent yet pleasantly weatherproofed dome and a well-amplified sound system plays Selected Ambient Works Volume II.

before I know it another 20 minutes has gone by and I still haven't designed a decent solar -> battery -> inverter system to keep the darkness at bay, and all I've done is wallow in fantasies of phenethylamines and promiscuity and reinforce the tedious Yahooliganism that I should be so over by now, the 4th time that I'll trust the dust.

So why is this in Tips and Tricks? Because I'm hoping that someone's been here before, knows how to escape the snorklewackers in this Anxiety Closet. Because I want someone to say "it's ok just breathe, don't be afraid to buy stuff instead of making everything from scratch like the engineer that you aren't, you can afford it this time." Because I want to get flamed for wasting bandwidth on sullen depressive dreck.

I think what I really want is for someone to tell me:

"No, it's not weird to panic even after you've gone a bunch of times, no different than when you eat a bunch of tabs of serotonin agonist and things are starting to get far more disruptive than you expected. Now, here's how you plan and execute the projects that you have in mind, bearing in mind the limited time and harsh environment ahead of you..."

enough enough. Wait for answers.

phil

Post by phil » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:11 pm

You're having a panic attack. Take a deep breath. All your fears will be unrealized. You'll be run over by an art car, instead.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:05 pm

The gate crew will mock you
Greeters will not hug you
Center Camp Cafe will refuse to serve you
You will be last in line at Arctica
You will be the last to use the potty before it is pumped
It will rain on your tent only
nah...
Take a deep breath

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:10 pm

bring food

have fun

bring lots of water

have fun

make friends

have fun

friends have shade

have fun

center camp has shade

have fun

party camps have light

have fun

it's a full moon week = light

have fun

shit in the portasquats

have fun

bring booze to drink or gift, not trinkets

have fun
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:40 pm

Token wrote:The gate crew will mock you
Greeters will not hug you
Center Camp Cafe will refuse to serve you
You will be last in line at Arctica
You will be the last to use the potty before it is pumped
It will rain on your tent only
nah...
Take a deep breath

HA...
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Davoid

Post by Davoid » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:28 pm

This will be your fourth time? Then you've already got a very serviceable stash of BM necessities, and you know what to expect. You know people who will be there, and you will meet many more. You'll struggle, and you'll have unparalleled insights and inspirations. Can't complete the green-powered camp light? Then bring a good flashlight and a bunch of batteries. You're forgiven.

And stop by Playa Surfers, we'll put you on a board and all your worries will bleed away through your smile.

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:59 am

sullen depressive dreck is underated.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:05 am

Don... buddy... have a shot of tequila and chill bro.

You know what to do and how to do it.

If you have the means, buy what you need instead of trying to peice it together with a month left to go.

Holy shit...

Only a month left to go?

Fuck.

Se ya man, everyone for themselves!

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:18 am

One day you'll look back to your panicked state with nostalgia.

Rocket75377

Post by Rocket75377 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:32 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:One day you'll look back to your panicked state with nostalgia.
...and drive straight into a parked car.
I am the people your parents warned you about.

"How would Horatio Alger have handled this?"

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:42 am

OHHHHHH NNNNNOOOOOOOO AAAAAAA MMMMOOOONNNNTTTTTTTHHHHHH TOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.................................You better get to work on your Monkey or Donkey outfit or we really won't let you PLAY.......
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

mojo

Post by mojo » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:19 am

Don - don't think of it as being anxious, youre EXCITED!

After all, it's just a camping trip.

Don't sweat the lights thing, just bring a fucking Coleman lantern or battery lantern for inside the tent.

robotland

Post by robotland » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:34 am

People don't ride rollercoasters because they know they're safe, they do it because it's FUN. "Nervous" is an appropriate physiological reaction to something as amazing as Our Little Camping Trip. I KNOW I won't hardly sleep the night before I head for the highway- I never do. But out there, I sleep like a baby.
Just part of the ride, man. Put up your arms and SCREAMMMMMM!!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:20 am

Remember, kids: The pain goes away just as soon as it stops hurting.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:53 pm

This is the clack, clack, clack part of the ride...

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:36 pm

nice guy wrote:I'm nervous

**Looks around**

RUN! Don't GO! They are after you!

Since your not going now can I have your ticket?

Really just have fun if you don’t have it you don’t need it.

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:56 pm

I have a recurring dream that I went to burning man and everyone is wearing pants. :D

Don Gately

Post by Don Gately » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:14 am

Thank you for the reality check, one and all. I followed the geometrydome.com instructions and made a PVC-and-rope dome all by myself yesterday. It is spacious and stable; it makes my self-confidence engorged and turgid. I feel capable regarding all aspects of my camp now.

Good luck to all of you with your respective projects.

karr

BREATHE, IT WILL BE OK

Post by karr » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:51 am

Don Gately wrote:Thank you for the reality check, one and all. I followed the geometrydome.com instructions and made a PVC-and-rope dome all by myself yesterday. It is spacious and stable; it makes my self-confidence engorged and turgid. I feel capable regarding all aspects of my camp now.

Good luck to all of you with your respective projects.
My first burn was in 2005 and I went by myself. I had just learned about Burning Man a few weeks prior and I decided to go 2 weeks before the event and felt exactly like you did. OVERWHELMED. I doubted myself and started talking myself out of going since I didn't know a single soul that was going or had ever been.

I psyched myself up after looking at pictures of art installation and a blurb someone wrote about expecting everything and nothing.

I hit the local thrift stores and costume shops. I got on the eplaya and read post after post, read the survival guide many times, took a breathe and jumped.

Best leap I ever took! Was it a perfect leap, no. But I learned and was better prepared for my second burn. I still learned more lessons and will continue to. It's part of the adventure.

Good luck to you and enjoy it! It will be a blast.
I am the girl you will talk to and ask questions to and end up more confused than when you started.

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Re: I'm nervous

Post by spectabillis » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:24 am

Don Gately wrote:... And what if I can't do it? ... Just me, freaking out. Go out there unprepared ...It all makes me worry way too much. ... all I've done is wallow in fantasies ... escape the snorklewackers in this Anxiety Closet. ... Because I want to get flamed for wasting bandwidth on sullen depressive dreck. ... you eat a bunch of tabs of serotonin agonist and things are starting to get far more disruptive than you expected.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:57 pm

savor it.

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:29 pm

The best thing about it is that you'll never know what's going to happen.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

Rolan Headon

Post by Rolan Headon » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:33 am

Thanks Don,
Here i was peacefully ignoring all need to get ready and my partners gathering panic/jibes and now I'm careening around my PROCRASINATION WHAREHOUSE THE SIZE OF TEXAS wherein i live, busy getting ready for my next life or something, even tho I quit smoking dope two years ago and being a huge believer in organization decided to try it for the first time...buttt...OH MY DOG! but it's getting late yet the butt-fucking odds are WE ARE GOING TO MAKE IT so see you there at Camp Half-Ass Congenital Moop, come on by for a drink, Afrodite(the woman in Nifer Dreads) makes a mean veggie bloody mary and we'll give ya an altitude adjustment...don't forget to put dust in your blender and start snorting lines two weeks before hitting the playa and remember to take all that advice given to you while remembering the words of an old man "Never give advice until asked for it, that way you'll never have to give any."
Was born late and falling ever further behind, will soon be in the lead.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:39 am

Know this O soul:
1. Man will burn.
2. You will get a sunburn.
3. It will take you weeks to get the playa dust out of your goods.

phil

Post by phil » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:49 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Know this O soul:
>SNIP<
and it will never be removed from your soul.

karr

Post by karr » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:36 am

phil wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:Know this O soul:
>SNIP<
and it will never be removed from your soul.
so very true!
I am the girl you will talk to and ask questions to and end up more confused than when you started.

minderella

Words right outta my mouth

Post by minderella » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:14 am

panic right outta my pulse, fear right outta my ... freckles? i'm new this year. motivated by the theme as Greenman has long been part of my paganosity. but in the last week or so, startin' to freak. in fact, last night kept myself awake trying to find a pattern in all the Things I'm Afraid To Do, vs. Things I Love To Do. not much to find. but you. YOU. managed to collect eXACTly what I need. thanks man.
m.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:25 am

It's just a week and some change until I'm back out in the dirt, and boy am I getting nervous. I just know I'll forget something. This will be my 9th burn, so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing. It seems that every year I bring less and less stuff. That's ok, but what will I forget to bring that I really needed?
Last night I went through all my clothes that I'm bringing and my random supplies box. Pretty good there. Bring all of your batteries, all of your socks, all your ziploc baggies, and all of your sunscreen. It's just a good idea. Last year I got downright S&T of the flavor of Bug Juice and orange Gaterade. Bring different flavors of beverage mixers. Also bring antacid tablets. One gets Wrath of Gawd heartburn out there.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”