My gift ideas: good or bad?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Galax

My gift ideas: good or bad?

Post by Galax » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:17 am

I've never been to Burning Man before, so I'm not entirely sure what would be most appreciated as gifts. I figure something handmade would be more fun to receive than something bought at the store, though, and I like to do a lot of various arts and crafts, so I'm making things to bring. I just wanted some input on whether these would make good gifts. Any input is appreciated!

Various duct tape things (wallets, roses, bracelets...)
Various knitted/crocheted things (wristbands, hacky sacks, condom cozies...)
Mini sleep pillows (in cute shapes with dried lavender in the stuffing)
Homemade aromatherapy bath sets (soap, lotion bar, bath salts, bath fizzy bombs...)
Mini bottles of homemade herbal shampoo

I know that bath fizzy bombs and such won't be too useful on the playa, but I already had them made from before and put in sets with the other stuff. I figured the lotion bars might be nice, though, and people could always bring the rest of the set home if they wanted, right? Or would that be too much bother? Also, the shampoo is thin, not gel-ish like commercial shampoos are, which makes it very easy to work through the hair and rinse out (if you have water to devote to it). It does still lather if you work it with your fingers. I have different formulas for blond hair, oily hair, dry hair, etc. Do you think they would be appreciated, or just annoying? I'm not sure how many people bother washing their hair on the playa.

buttercups

gifting

Post by buttercups » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:05 am

If you have any question about whether somebody will use or want what you have, don't bring it. Although getting a hacky sack would be cool.

Give the gift of an open mind and caring about your new BRC community . Be yourself...that is the best gift.

see you on the playa....
Buttercup

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Re: My gift ideas: good or bad?

Post by EB » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:22 am

Galax wrote: Various duct tape things (wallets, roses, bracelets...)
Various knitted/crocheted things (wristbands, hacky sacks, condom cozies...)
Mini sleep pillows (in cute shapes with dried lavender in the stuffing)
All very cool.
Galax wrote: Homemade aromatherapy bath sets (soap, lotion bar, bath salts, bath fizzy bombs...)
Soaps and shampoo are cool, too, but unless I knew the person giving them to me, I'd have reservations about putting it on my body. BRC has all types and you're probably a square-dealer, but hey you could also be the Tylenol Killer. (Welcome Home!)

But, that said, I think making soaps and shampoos for your friends/campmates/buddies is a really cool gift with a subtext (here's a gift of soap! Now go use it, stinko!)

Have fun!
Irony. You're soaking in it.

phil

Post by phil » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:25 am

I think buttercups has the right idea. In the big picture view, gifts are irrelevant. My suggestion is that you don't give them a thought. And I'm serious. Come, have a good time, and accept any gifts offered with a gracious thanks. When you come next year, if you have ideas of things you want to give, do that. You'll know what you liked, what works on the playa, and so on.

But when you have to ask for ideas on what you should give, it's not really a gift. There's no obligation, so if you never give anything to anybody, that's perfectly fine. _Be_ the gift by being present fully on the playa without concern for having to do something.

My views are based entirely on what I see outside my window. Views vary based on what the window opens onto. If your views vary, that's fine with me.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:18 pm

I agree with all the advice given so far. Don't plan on giving out things, but if you make things, then bring them. If you're playing hacky sack, and someone playing says they wish they had a hacky sack give them one after the game. Don't go around looking for someone to pawn something off on. Many people wouldn't appreciate it, but the guy who joins in the game, loves it and makes him wish he had brought one, will appreciate it. You may go all week without giving away one of your "gifts" and that's fine. Or things may come up that people have a need or desire for the things you happen to have and then they'll really appreciate the gift, especially if it's something they need and it's hand made. Random trinkets given on the street don't mean much to people.

If you want to plan on a gift, the easiest and most used gift will usually be a bottle of booze to give to your favorite bar. They spend a lot of money already and often run out later in the week. The people replenishing them is how most stay open.

sunn

Post by sunn » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:19 pm

Yes, don't stress about gifts. Sometimes the best gift you can give is nonmaterial...one of the best gifts I've ever received was a kiss, after I told this couple how beautiful they were.

Badger

Post by Badger » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:23 pm

one of the best gifts I've ever received was a kiss, after I told this couple how beautiful they were.
Or stories. Great stories told with authenticity and emotion have always made for some of the best 'currency' in Black Rock City I think.
Desert dogs drink deep.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

seriously

Post by swampdog » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:21 pm

going back for my 3d year after skipping last year. I really stressed out a lot the first 2 times, thinking I needed trinkets to hand out like I was trying to buy Manhattan. Ehhhh, fuhgeddaboudit. Bring your creativity, your art, yourself. One day I made breakfast in a big camp and several people gave me gifts in exchange. I preferred sincere thanks, hugs. Some of the gifts were touching, the rest, I've got 'em around here somewhere. I think. Maybe. (if you're reading this and recognize me, I definitely have yours and treasure it!)

Galax

Post by Galax » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:09 pm

Thank you all very much for explaining that to me. Having never been there, I didn't know how it was supposed to go, but somewhere in all the information I was going through in my unprepared panic, I picked up the idea that I should bring a lot of things to give people. I really appreciate you clarifying things for me!

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:20 pm

Badger wrote:
one of the best gifts I've ever received was a kiss, after I told this couple how beautiful they were.
Or stories. Great stories told with authenticity and emotion have always made for some of the best 'currency' in Black Rock City I think.
The "story" is part of it but there is so much to the level at which we bond, so the "story" becomes that much more. For some reason the "stories" seem to be more significant. The connection so much more "important".. the emotional connection goes so deep, crosses space and time, makes us SMILE really fucking big. The "kiss" as a gift becomes that much deeper...ummmmmm yummy.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:17 pm

I like your ides on, more things to do with duct tape. I'm serious!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:11 pm

Your ideas are pretty cool, and I'm sure there are those out there who'd really appreciate them and the time/energy you put into them. But it's your first year - bring your fresh smiling face, come on out with one less thing to worry about, and take in what the city and its people have to offer.

Then, fresh full of ideas/inspiration when you get back, you can figure out what you'd like to do/gift to others at your regional group's decompression (assuming they have one and you're able to attend). Or what you'd like to work on for next year :-)

~Trilo~

skygod

Post by skygod » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:51 am

The gift I like the most is looking into your eyes for a few seconds.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:42 pm

Though I think some of the things you mentioned sound cool, I'd prefer you didn't gift with gifts. Though I still think someone needs to create shwag bag (Must say shwag bag on it) and pass them out to people, so they can put all the gifts(Shwag) into them. "Hey would you like a necklace?" "Yeah!! Just put in here with the rest of my shwag"

I think it's a little easy and bit mardi gras to go the trinket route. Try something that engages other to do something.AKA something that may draw someone into your camp, like build your own Duct Tape Wallet work shop camp. Get it?

T.

honeyfire

Kinda like honey and fire

Post by honeyfire » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:31 pm

I have to say, i would personally be delighted to recieve a duct tape rose.
Brilliant combination, so many levels of meaning, of each aspect, and more in conjuntion.
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!

geo8rge

Post by geo8rge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:19 pm

I was thinking of buying a jar (50 pair) ear plugs for all those who forget. Would people actually want them?

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:30 pm

I was thinking of buying a jar (50 pair) ear plugs for all those who forget. Would people actually want them?
Yep. It's great to bring extra things like that because it's very likely you'll make someones night.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:36 am

Burp! wrote:Though I think some of the things you mentioned sound cool, I'd prefer you didn't gift with gifts. Though I still think someone needs to create shwag bag (Must say shwag bag on it) and pass them out to people, so they can put all the gifts(Shwag) into them. "Hey would you like a necklace?" "Yeah!! Just put in here with the rest of my shwag"

I think it's a little easy and bit mardi gras to go the trinket route. Try something that engages other to do something.AKA something that may draw someone into your camp, like build your own Duct Tape Wallet work shop camp. Get it?

T.
There was a tape camp in 2005.
Very popular.
All kinds of tape from gaffer's to reflective.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.

Etrit

Post by Etrit » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:55 pm

Hey, so if you're going to give physical gifts to people; think of something cool that people would use on the playa or would like enough to take back to 'reality' and use.

Also, easy way to make friends: Write your address on your gifts! Next thing you know, you'll stubble home and you'll have a party already in progress!

Of course, hopefully they will bring their own booze etc.. :)

Etrit

BAS

Post by BAS » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:27 am

Was it a bad idea for me to be gifting people bronchitis last year...? :oops:

(This year I am staying home as my gift..., or at least that's my story! :P )

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:32 am

This is my first time as well, and I'm doing some experimenting around with stuff based on theme, etc. One of my "things" is I love to bake. I picked up a cheap solar oven. Having baked some nice bread over a camp stove, I feel pretty confident that the flimsy oven won't be too difficult, especially with the weather. I have a vegan recipe that has the bonus feature of none of the ingredients requiring refrigeration.

Now, I used to foist bread I baked off on my friends in the past with limited reception. I'm thinking that this sort of thing might go better on the playa. (Since it's my understanding that not a lot of"food" is gifted except by folks sitting in camp. (All bacon aside.) Do you think I should bother too much with it? Or would people be looking at me as if I were the Tylenol Killer if I handed them a fresh-baked roll?

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:42 am

Or would people be looking at me as if I were the Tylenol Killer if I handed them a fresh-baked roll?
People will love you for it.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:41 am

Hey, with a name like Valkyrie, I'd expect a fresh baked German style roll.

Yum!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:59 am

Well, Kaiser rolls are pretty tasty, aren't they? (Granted, to do that properly, you definitely need egg, so this will be sort of a frenchy alternative.)

Desert Dove

Ding-ding...wrong!

Post by Desert Dove » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:06 pm

Sorry, but Valkyries are in Scandinavian mythology. In that case you'll have to bring lingonberries, pickled herring and lutefisk.

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:19 pm

Grrrr. That's my favorite pet peeve. Valkyries are pre-christain north-central European. They're often considered "Scandanavian" or more accurately "Norse" since that's where the Christianization pushed the Teutonic religion. If you look at even relatively modern German folk tales, you see remnants of the important figures of stories and structures transmuted from gods to kings and whatnot (Dietrich anyone?) to be more palatable to the priests.

The Nazis really latched onto the whole business (supporting such things as Wagner's Ring series of operas) as it was something completely and unarguably not borrowed from any other culture.

I could probably go on and on about this, but I don't think it's something most people care too much about. I've been using the name for a long, long time and soak up any bit of information on Valkyries I can find. I'd love to share...

Teutons: The folks that gave you Hel. Only it really wasn't so bad when they came up with it.

skygod

Post by skygod » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:29 pm

The Greeters will turn you away if they find lutefisk in your car.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:33 pm

But I might bring some lingonberry jam to go on the rolls. That stuff is yummy.
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.

Desert Dove

Post by Desert Dove » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:11 pm

I've got a secret hiding spot for my lutefisk. Not even those sniffer dogs find it.

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:41 pm

Excellent! That's good to know. Now where are you camped again?

begins to back off in the other direction
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”