Last minute virgin anxiety

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
sprite

Post by sprite » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:26 pm

Holy Crap! We leave tomorrow for our virgin burn, supposedly at sunrise or just before but it's already 10:20 here in MI, and we just realized that there's no way we can fit everything in the Escape that we planned to. We can't get rid of the traffic signal,not when we put this much work into it already. There's nothing for it but to wrap the damn thing in a tarp and try to drive the 2200 miles with it bungied to the top. And use our crappy bike rack on the back of the SUV and hope to hell they don't come rolling off. :shock: But good god, we're leaving tomorrow regardless, and I'm having some tequila to calm my nerves.

Hope to see you on the playa, valkyrie. We'll be the ones with the traffic signal and the michigan mitten with our eyes about to pop out of our heads from the wonder of it all. Come have a beer with us! :)

phil

Post by phil » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:48 pm

sprite, Louise and I give away clothes on Friday at 2:00 pm. Drop by at 2 sharp, and we'll suit you out in playawear so you don't look like a noob. :->

Photos of a couple of years of giving away clothes:
http://civex.smugmug.com/gallery/1867757
http://civex.smugmug.com/gallery/1089945

Nice double-breasted jacket, huh?

sprite

Post by sprite » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:42 pm

Awesome! I'll be there!

plowman

Post by plowman » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:54 pm

Saw a tree made of wire and what looked like aluminium foil on the bed of a trailer heading west today. Looks to be about 20 feet tall. Can't wait to see it on the playa standing erect

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:09 pm

PROBABLY?! How reassuring. Ahem.

I really need to stop trying to beat the radical self-reliance game.

But I do now have the makings of a mobile shower stall from materials of value under $10. I should have gotten an angle bracket so I could hook the pulley out from the shade support pole. Oh well, if the base winds up in the shade, I'll just use the cotton rug to wick up the water to make a swamp cooler based on capillary action. Or a sail.

This should be interesting, especially the baking. I think I need more stakes.
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.

lithiium

Post by lithiium » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:25 am

phil wrote:sprite, Louise and I give away clothes on Friday at 2:00 pm. Drop by at 2 sharp, and we'll suit you out in playawear so you don't look like a noob. :->

Photos of a couple of years of giving away clothes:
http://civex.smugmug.com/gallery/1867757
http://civex.smugmug.com/gallery/1089945

Nice double-breasted jacket, huh?
heh directions!

ricksca

Post by ricksca » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:00 am

In 1974 I was hiking up a lonely California canyon road, intending to camp in the mountains for some time. I was carrying a hastily prepared backpack. After a few miles I stumbled on an unexpected monastery. One of the resident monks greeted me and we talked for a while. As I was leaving, I hoisted my pack on my back and shared that I was nervous that I had forgotten something important that I really needed. The monk smiled gently and said, "If you really need it, it will be there." Of course he was right. I lacked for nothing on the hike and have carried his kind and gentle assurance with me for over 30 years: If I really need it, it will be there.
If we do not change the direction we are going...we are likely to end up where we are headed.

bohemian dawntreader

Post by bohemian dawntreader » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:11 am

Great thread! i don't have near the projects going on but a bit stressed that all my luggae will get there on the plane. i really like the above post though...if i need it and don't have it - i will believe it will be provided :-)
Yeah...i am so excited!

Angel Ben

Post by Angel Ben » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:26 pm

ricksca wrote:In 1974 I was hiking up a lonely California canyon road, intending to camp in the mountains for some time. I was carrying a hastily prepared backpack. After a few miles I stumbled on an unexpected monastery. One of the resident monks greeted me and we talked for a while. As I was leaving, I hoisted my pack on my back and shared that I was nervous that I had forgotten something important that I really needed. The monk smiled gently and said, "If you really need it, it will be there." Of course he was right. I lacked for nothing on the hike and have carried his kind and gentle assurance with me for over 30 years: If I really need it, it will be there.
Quoted for truth. This is the best advice that could possibly be given. All this crazy shit we plan, all those gadgets and devices, all the ridiculous rube goldberg-esque contraptions we put together; we don't need them. We might enjoy them, we absolutely want them, but we don't need them. If you forget it, or screw it up, or it's destroyed by the wind, don't worry. You didn't need it.

phil

Post by phil » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:55 pm

> directions

Oh, yeah. We'll be on Carol Reef (or was it coral?) about 6:50 or so. Look for our banner:
It says The Civilized Explorer

MothershipNOLA

Post by MothershipNOLA » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:20 pm

Here’s a little story for you. Last year was my virgin year and it was my honeymoon (hey- at least I was a virgin at something I was doing on my honeymoon). One of our friends talked us into going while he stayed with us in New Orleans on his way cross country to the Playa. We had two weeks to prepare- we were planning on going to Costa Rica so you can imagine how woefully unprepared we were. Tent- check. Water- check. Clothes- check. Our costume collection was trashed in Katrina so we had almost nothing. Hubby and I drive from Reno and 5 fights later (the website said if we speed, we will get searched, we have to wait in line to pick up our ticket, I think we didn’t bring enough food, cry, moan, groan, etc) we finally arrive to the greeters station in the middle of a dust storm. I’m crying, he’s pissed off and here comes the Greeter. “Have you been here before?â€

JediDale
Burning Since: 2000

READ THE SURVIVAL GUIDE! REPEAT!!

Post by JediDale » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:26 pm

Relax!

Just remember, SURVIVAL things are absolute TOP PRIORITY,
costumes are a luxury, and on a one to ten scale, rate somewhere about .000014145961! AFTER ALL survival gear is taken care of, THEN go figure out costumes. Oh, BTW, it's best to start doing this sort of thing in January not August a week before the Burn.

Genuinely,

JediDale Of Reno
You don't have to..Believe Everything I Say...because your unconscious will hear this.
Your unconscious can Do anything It wishes..
But your conscious mind isn't going to do
anything of Importance for Now. And...My Voice Will Go With You...

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:47 am

Heh. A few questions for you, Dale...

How do you know when it's "taken care of"? It takes about an hour or two in a camping or surplus store to get a tent, groundcover, tarp or similar for a shade structure, a sleeping bag, rope, 4x5gal. water jugs, bandannas, a hat and goggles. Oh, and most carry food too, so all you'd need to do between the camping store and BM would be fill up with water... I fail to see how this could take more than a day to accomplish the necessities, not to mention weeks or months. What is it that takes so long?

As best as I can tell it's all the "extras" we're not supposed to sweat anyway. Or am I missing something vitally important that I will die (or unduly burden others, almost the same for me) if I don't have? This is the source of the last minute anxiety! :D
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:19 am

Oh, yes, you can do everything last minute, but there are valid reasons not to do so. Having a full on camp for the regionals is one. Having a full on camp instead of a hovel is important to us, and that takes work.

It is far easier on the pocketbook to spread things out over a year, assuming you have room to store gear. That way you can hit the sales. And if the camping store is out of stock? What then? And if you want to test drive the goggles or the tent? Setting up a shade structure for the very first time on the playa without testing it in a yard or park, well, not such a great idea. Early planning gives you time to fine-tune your camp, update the lists and give you time for those hey! this would work better moments.

Water? We haul ours the entire way, too iffy to get to Nevada and find the source you thought was good is not. Have to have water in hand before we pack the trailer, it is not a throw on at the last minute item for us. Larry won't pack that way, one of his quirks.

Even after seven years, we still pick up things throughout the year as we tweak or camp into a more comfortable place. There's often woodworking and welding involved, so waiting until the last minute makes no sense for us at all. Our big working pushes come in spring, after the snow melts and before the regionals ramp up.

JediDale
Burning Since: 2000

Thanks ANTI-M!!

Post by JediDale » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:32 am

Well put ANTI-M!!! The Force is STRONG with ANTI-M!!

Valkyrie, you can reduce stress as well if you spread the "getting ready process" over a length of time. If you look over ePlaya throughout the year, you will undoubtedly fiind many great ideas to implement your experience!
Naturally the more fellow Burners with whom you interact, the more volume and quality of ideas will come to you, now don't they?

Genuinely,

JediDale
You don't have to..Believe Everything I Say...because your unconscious will hear this.
Your unconscious can Do anything It wishes..
But your conscious mind isn't going to do
anything of Importance for Now. And...My Voice Will Go With You...

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:41 pm

Heh. OK, maybe I was being sneakily snarky, but I think the thought I had was missed...

Don't you think it's a little late to be telling folks it's too late to start? Isn't that the same thing as telling them not to go? I'm leaving in under 24 hours (Aaaaaahhh!) and you can't stop me!

Of course, this is all an aside to the original point of the thread that I think I have everything ready, but lacking proper testing and perfect knowledge verification, I'm quite nervous.

Oh, and I've been meaning to ask: phil: Do you have costumes for women who aren't razor thin too, or just the really skinny ones?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:36 pm

V: PM me with a size and general type of costume and I'll rake my closet. I'm big, around a woman's 18~20, and I have a few smaller things. twenty four hours, we pull out Sunday afternoon.

For example: Sheer leopard pants and top? Burgundy lace goth skirt and sweater? (I'd want that back) Pink and brown camo tee and skirt?

phil

Post by phil » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:28 pm

phil: Do you have costumes for women who aren't razor thin too, or just the really skinny ones?
We have men's and women's burnerwear for _all_ sizes. You may be looking at the women and not seeing the men in dresses, blouses, etc.

ImageImageImage

Playawear is bisexual. :->

Valkyrie

Post by Valkyrie » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:35 pm

You're right. I totally missed these fellows! The guy on the left looks fabulous but honey, those shoes have got to go!

I think next year I'm going to raid "Out of the Closet" - the thrift store dedicated to funding AIDS research. I bet they have some nice shinies.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”