Has DPW grown a biger ego than the event itself?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
lebarondescarteun

Has DPW grown a biger ego than the event itself?

Post by lebarondescarteun » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:47 pm

This is just an observation. Late afternoon, Saturday, September 1, 2007, I watched as the DPW had their little parade driving past the participants on the Avenue where I camped. I was really taken back by DPW’s behavior. One DPW volunteer on the bullhorn commanded that everyone get out of their seat and stand up, while yelling the comment, "We built this cityâ€

playasnake

Post by playasnake » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:54 pm

sure there would. it would just be 1995
e pluribus unimog

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:56 pm

Cha-ching!
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

K-mom

Post by K-mom » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:24 pm

That was a mini-editorial, not an observation.

Just an observation.
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:22 am

Just a rambling story:

I was arranging the art on my Home for Wayward Art and a couple DPWs on bikes and their groupettes came by. (Apologies if you were actually DPW and not groupettes, but you looked like groupettes for the purpose of story telling.)

"You have to take that down."

"Take what down? The Art?"

"You have to take down that sign."

I though he meant the big Anti M's Home for Wayward Art sign, but no. He pointed to one of the donated pieces. It was a sign stolen from an airport, a smallish thing which read "This art may be purchased by contacting "Le Snac" at Gate 3" donated by a friendly guy. He thought it was funny and ironic. I did too. I explained it, and was told I had to "tell the guy to take it down ..."

"Uh, it's art."

"Oh.. Oh!" They looked at each other. They got it. "You fooled the DPW!" I requested that they adopt the sign. They did, laughing. I laughed harder. Made my freakin' day. Yeah, that's my goal in life, fooling the DPW. Uh-huh.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:18 am

Alot of the ticket price goes to BLM fees and whatnot. Without volunteers the ticket price would be alot more, possibly 500-1000 bucks. IMO DPW has a right to a big ego. I watched a DPW worker sweat his ass off while working in the sun with no shade. I also saw DPW pull together and get another man built and put up after some asshole arsonist burned him early. I highly doubt you would have such a great environment to play in without DPW. I also saw DPW folks help out many camps and art installations throughout the week. Not to mention Asshole Garage which helped mend art cars and bikes rather than tell people people the RSR line.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:06 pm

I'd agree that the DPW folks deserve to brag a little bit and be a little cocky. How would you like to work all week at burning man with very little appreciation?

As far as the first post goes, I see nothing wrong with that at all. Shit, we were telling people to get off their asses and drink our Moonshine. :twisted:

goathead
Burning Since: 1999

Post by goathead » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:11 pm

[quote]This is just an observation. Late afternoon, Saturday, September 1, 2007, I watched as the DPW had their little parade driving past the participants on the Avenue where I camped. I was really taken back by DPW’s behavior. One DPW volunteer on the bullhorn commanded that everyone get out of their seat and stand up, while yelling the comment, "We built this cityâ€

Kinetik V
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Post by Kinetik V » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:29 pm

Damn, I missed the DPW Parade this year. That was a first. Anyway, no DPW, no BRC. It's really that simple. And after the 2 day speedy rebuilding job they did with the man this year IMHO they can do whatever they fucking want to do. They've earned the right and IMHO they deserve our respect and admiration. And another point worth making...who's out there cleaning up the mess now that all of us are back in Camp Reality?

THANK YOU DPW!
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it, wherever that may be.

Dork

Post by Dork » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:33 pm

If anything I'd tend to believe the collective DPW ego has actually shrunk in the 7 years I've been attending. Or at least they've been pushed further into the background by the massive number of people and the efficiency gains they've achieved.

Perhaps the question should be whether there's still room for the Fuck You attitude they cling to while most everything else becomes disneyfied.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:37 pm

Burning Man Rule Number One: Don't fuck with the DPW!
After working their asses off to build the city, then clean it all up afterwards, the DPW earns the right to say and do about whatever they want.
The DPW parade WAS pretty tame this year, but I handed them a fresh bottle of tequila and another on my way home and I don't think it was enough... I'll bring lots for them next year.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:47 pm

please ask them for your money back, really, please. dont worry, i will be there with a camera and mace.

sagebrush

Post by sagebrush » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:01 am

Hurray! For the DPW without them and their sweat we would not have the city!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:09 am

Hurray for us too, because without us, the city would be a ghost town. Hurray for DPW and us!

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:57 pm

I found this to be very disrespectful
This was your first year, wasn't it? Don't take anything anyone says too seriously. Next year go play God at the talk to God booth and make DPW's "disrespect" look like kind words. :twisted:

robbidobbs
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:19 am

It must have been your first year, because this was the most professional and sedate Parade ever. We were required by the BLM and our boss Coyote to be on our best behavior as a condition of being able to have it next year. We were also provided a butt load of beer beforehand and told not to beg, loot or otherwise shake participants down for beer. We didn't, and people ran out to us to give us beer, booze, schwag and one early on gave us icicle Rockets (one of my favorites). Generally we are all over the city, making the shade, running the cables, building the cafe, replenishing the toilet paper, things that make the city tick. When the Man burned up, DPW stepped up to the challenge when many thought they had a "vacation" and ran transpo, shade, fuel, etc. We got Resurrected Man up on time and under budget. We are the infrastructure of BRC, and for one afternoon, we get to have a parade and show the city who we are, in all our glory. So get over it, we did a great job this year.

RobbiDobbs
DPW Volunteer Coordinator, Special Projects: Porta-potties

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:27 am

robbidobbs wrote:So get over it, we did a great job this year.
some attitudes change but come on.. almost every dpw'er i talked to wanted paul's blood and even some said things like "do you know how much work that took us? thats our man." so yes, the ego is still there.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:38 am

I love DPW!!!!

We had a Lovely Time with DPW on Monday exodus in camp, they were awesome company, we loaded them up with alcohol and grub, spent some great conversation time together!

And ya know, most of those peeps are there for an enitre MONTH or MORE! getting shit built, making sure all is well when we bring our costco ridden shit in!
These guys and gals work soooooo hard, trust me...you aint shit till you've walked a week in their shoes!

I still havent. But give them more respect then sir larry!

We love you assholes in DPW...dont ever change!
But can ya mark it up a notch, I didnt feel the love/hate this yr...just love...mamby pamby's...J/K
Pinemom!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:18 am

"Walk a mile in his moccasins" is an addage that needs replay here. If anyone really wants to know what our trip is, just come work with me for a 4 hour shift...regardless of weather conditions. Wear good shoes.

You know, I just realized that I didn't know the twit's name until you posted it here Spec. We thought it was hilarious. This was an historical event. My first thought was "I didn't come here to see the man burn." You must have interviewed a select few DPW people, because we didn't know his name during the event, nor did we care. The consensus was that we just burn him up the rest of the way on Saturday. Put gauze on him and fashion a crutch. It was the LLC that asked us to build another. LoDog was sent out with his Shade crew to disassemble the burnt shade and build new shade for the Man Builders. Transpo was sent out with materials. The Man Crew salvaged as much as they could from the original man and built another in 3 days. Normally it takes a week with milder (Ranch) conditions. One guy on the lighting crew went to Reno and purchased the entire inventory of a glass neon shop. Heavy equipment crew hoisted him onto the tower on Thursday afternoon.

Behold: Resurrected Man.

Here's a tiny DPW trivia bit: the Man Builders cut out the shape of a phoenix from the face of the original Man. It was then bolted to the faceplate of the new man.

Heh.

Ebenezer Squeezer

Re: Has DPW grown a biger ego than the event itself?

Post by Ebenezer Squeezer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:55 pm

This is the first time I've encountered the DPW parade, and I thought it was fun to see the people involved. If the person with the megaphone wasn't shouting "we built this city", I would have had no idea who they were. So yeah, I cheered them on. Now if they were yelling "we built this city... with rock and roll" I would have completely lost it. :lol:

fierysage

Post by fierysage » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:55 pm

DPW is amazing and I commend them on what they do. And hell yeah they have a right to feel good about what they do! If you built art or an art car or had a workshop, it feels good to enjoy having shared and done that thing. DPW works hard and deserves recognition (at next year's Armada, we'll hve to think of ways to please them most...) ;)

robbidobbs

Re: Has DPW grown a biger ego than the event itself?

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:09 pm

Ebenezer Squeezer wrote:This is the first time I've encountered the DPW parade, and I thought it was fun to see the people involved. If the person with the megaphone wasn't shouting "we built this city", I would have had no idea who they were. So yeah, I cheered them on. Now if they were yelling "we built this city... with rock and roll" I would have completely lost it. :lol:
Usually we're working to Johnny Cash tunes.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:51 pm

robbidobbs wrote: You must have interviewed a select few DPW people...
it was about half a dozen, three were staying with the burner hostel. i was interested in hearing what they thought about it so for the next day and evening i asked when i came across them.

i am not slamming on the dpw, but i think i know enough of them to guage a general attitude when i can read similar things now that resonate. if you have a better way to guage these things without bias i would be interested in hearing it.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:10 pm

This was the first year I only was yelled at *once* (on Open Season Monday) by some off the wall DPW'r at the ghetto to "slow the fuck down, you fucking asshole c**t bitch". Cute, but if I wen any slower I'd have had to stop. Almost did anyway, 'cept I was on duty. ))evil grins(( ...

OK, usually I hear "Slow the fuck down" every time I pass by (It's like a tradition, and one I smile at), but that was the only one this year (and the first time it ever got, um, "personal"). And I didn't recognize this cat - figure he was a NOOB trying to look kewl in front of his new buds, or someone who don't know li'l ol' me... Oh well...

But then. Burnday, coming back from the resupply run, I putt by... one of the guys there actually threw me a kiss (Whaaa??) and said "Thanks, Hon..." Almost fell over in shock. THAT was a first!

IMO, if the DPW lost their ego, it wouldn't be the same. My regret is having the job I do I can't go out for the month either side and work with them - that would be fun.

Anyway, nuff sed...

playasnake

Post by playasnake » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:48 pm

Dork wrote:Perhaps the question should be whether there's still room for the Fuck You attitude they cling to while most everything else becomes disneyfied.
Perhaps thats whats keeping it from being Disneyfied...
e pluribus unimog

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:04 am

We were required by the BLM and our boss Coyote to be on our best behavior as a condition
Of parole, probation, PARADE violations????
:twisted:
DWP unable to beg for beer, being nice to people?
What next?
No stealing the street signs?
Burka's fo CTR ?
:evil:

Love DPW, hate to see the BLM abuse their power in this way.

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:30 am

It can be insanely dangerous to be in the Parade, and very hectic for the drivers. I'd been driving dawn-till-dusk all week, and this was my 6th year playa-driving. I was still startled this year when a bicyclist jumped in front of my car on Esplanade while the crowd was closing in. There are people running through the moving traffic, throwing things, generally being out of control and crowding the vehicles. Some people try to get onto the trucks while they're moving, and without the help of our "red shirts" who walked perimeter, participants could have gotten hurt. In the past, fights broke out, camps were sacked for beer and property/vehicles were damaged. It was just last year that it was edicted that we not play "bumper cars", as my personal truck was bumped and that's not ok. For the uninitiated, the DPW "Fuck your day" harrassment (which can be creative, focused and personal at times) can appear violent and unwelcome. I don't believe it served our purposes in the long run, and that if we just move through waving our freak flag, loud and proud, then participants would appreciate us more. We can be a scary bunch.

goathead

Post by goathead » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:47 pm

We can be a scary bunch.
If you where not, you wouldn't be DPW....
:D
Just a bunch of dusty teddy bears, with attitudes.
:D

Wrath7sins

Post by Wrath7sins » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:01 pm

I thought the DPW was insanely cool, and this is not my first year. Besides the reasons above, I have a personal DPW story to share.

My friends and I were out by the Trebuchet on Monday night (post burn), waiting to see piano's learn to fly. It ended up being postponed on account of bad weather. The wind had really picked up and was whipping up so much dust visibility was down to mere feet. Well, my bike had malfunctioned bad (Playa killed the chain and derailer) so we were gonna foot it back. So this DPW guy who was out there went around, making sure everything was good for the people and hardware out there finds out our intent, then replies "Nah man, y'all ain't walkin in this." and instructed us to load our bikes up on his truck, then calls over a second DPW vehicle to give us all rides. Good thing too, because he had GPS with all the BRC streets and ended up leading about 3 other vehicles back into town too. Man was I glad we hadn't walked! The distance was farther that I had initially anticipated. (We had the wind to our backs coming out, but would have been against the wind going back). We made it back to camp with no problem, despite the missing street signs and dust that made even the innercity streets unrecognizable. This guy was ubercool, laid back, and happy to help us.

Props to the moop man D.A. and his DPW's. You saved our asses out there, without even a second thought. 8)

Next year, Osiris and I plan to join up and help build the city. Sounds like it's hard work, and that's fine. But hard work can be fun.
*poke* is it flammable?

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:47 pm

do you know how much work that took us? thats our man
From what I understand the rebuild had little to do with BMorg and just about everything to do with DPW. It was their decision and their backs, so as much as I might say that about things I built for my camp, I'd say they have the right to say that about *their* man. They built it for everyone but it was still theirs.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”