Has DPW grown a biger ego than the event itself?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
itwazed

Post by itwazed » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:07 pm

DPW fuckin Rocks......i had the privelage with speaking with a member of the man rebuilding team on wed night next to the man.....at first he told me he was to busy so i thanked him anyway i started off across the playa and he stopped me and took time outta his busy ass day to talk to lil ol me.....i was able to give him a hug and let him know that me and my campmates appreciated what they were doing and spent just a couple min talking about each of our experiances over the last couple days (i had been up watching the eclipse and was walking back to camp from center camp when the man went up)...it was my most touching and favorite moment of not just this burn but any burn....so again i say DPW FUCKIN ROCKS..next time you see them just tip your cap, say thanx and hand em a beer, cigerattes, etc etc..and be on your merry fuckin way
Fly Fat ASS!!! FLY!!!!!
He smoked a phat cronic blunt.

TheJudge

Post by TheJudge » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:16 pm

Plain and simple: DPW gets to be a little cocky, since they built the place you are partying in.

These are the men and women you want with you when the shit hits the fan.

I'll share a cold beer with any one from DPW any day.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:27 pm

TheJudge wrote:Plain and simple: DPW gets to be a little cocky, since they built the place you are partying in.
OK!
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:19 pm

TheJudge wrote:Plain and simple: DPW gets to be a little cocky, since they built the place you are partying in.

IMHO DPW is no better than everyone else at the event. I do understand that they develop a sense of ownership and may get cocky though.

Case in point. An DPW worker steals an art car owned by an ESD worker(the ones you want when the shit hits the fan and not by the way), the art car a small lawnmower chassis with trailer and takes off with it. He is drunk and runs into a bicycler hurting her leg. This particular DPW workers supervisor arrives and starts to tell the ESD worker that its all right, and is flashing his credentials saying hes a supervisor and that the situation is over and to move on.

The ESD worker with his artcar ontop of bicycles, and damaged wants LE to deal with the theft - also his right as a theft victim. The DPW supervisor is drunk, and insists on everyone going their seperate ways.

I had to leave at that point as I had a commitment. Now in my opinion this DPW worker was wrong for stealing the ar car, but the supervisor compounded the situation by trying to pull some type of authority he did not have. At that point I heard someone say that "the DPW is a bunch of fucking carnies - arrest his ass for theft"

I chuckled and moved on, but had to agree from what I saw. I love DPW without them there would be no BRC. But they have to understand that building BRC does not entitle them to anymore rights that the rest of the participants in town. I too was on playa for weeks, and wasnt very impressed this year with the attitude I saw displayed.

Hope this trend does not continue and even can reverse itself.

later

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:34 pm

I don't think that has much to do with DPW, mdmf. If I were in the same situation as the supervisor, I'd do the same thing, even without credentials of any sort. If he was trying to get his friend out of making things right, that's not right, but to try to fix the situation without unnecessarily bringing in L.E. is something I'd try to do for any of my friends. Most "credentials" people try to flash are meaningless, but people respond to people with authority. Typically acting like you're in charge or acting like you're supposed to be doing what you're doing is better than any badge. Hopefully the supervisor was going to try to be a mediator, calm everyone down and help make things right. L.E. can escalate things that can be resolved without them.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:22 pm

Supervisor?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:45 am

Thank you DPW and Ali Pato for unlocking my rental van!
They saved my bacon!
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

lebarondescarteun

Sorry DPW

Post by lebarondescarteun » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:32 pm

MY sincere apologees dear DPW workers and friends alike. I built citiies in Vietnam for the dumb fuck Vietnamese and I was humbled by the experience. I never boosted about what I did for them, but I felt that I made their lives a little better. This was my first time at Burning Man and I didn't really come to party...I wanted to just feel some good vibes..and enjoy the Art..I'm sorry if I offended anyone,but next time I will kick some ass! and enjoy every moment!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:54 am

robbidobbs wrote:"Walk a mile in his moccasins" is an addage that needs replay here. If anyone really wants to know what our trip is, just come work with me for a 4 hour shift...regardless of weather conditions. Wear good shoes.
I guess I can't make it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:30 pm

I'll totally drive you anywhere you want to go, sweetie. You can be on the megaphone if you're so inclined. You remember the back of my vehicle has the cushy chill-space. The chair can ride on top.

Let's go Fishy, and set the town on fire! You are a wonderful person to hang out with.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:58 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
robbidobbs wrote:"Walk a mile in his moccasins" is an addage that needs replay here. If anyone really wants to know what our trip is, just come work with me for a 4 hour shift...regardless of weather conditions. Wear good shoes.
I guess I can't make it.
Hehe. You are really milking it, Fishy! As I would!
There will be a long line of peeps waiting to push your chair around heh!
<3!
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:59 pm

skygod wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
I guess I can't make it.
Hehe. You are really milking it, Fishy! As I would!
There will be a long line of peeps waiting to push your chair around heh!
<3!
Hey, at least it's not uphill!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BigCock

Post by BigCock » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:42 pm

Nothing but trouble that parade. Ya gotta love it. I was telling Robbi I played chicken with the lead truck one year, in the chicken suit, of course, and I lost, of course. Got too close and got basted with PBR. They had a big propane flame thrower and I rode out in front at what I thought was a safe distance and taunted them until they tried to bar-b-que my ass. It was hotter than I expected. Ahem.
robbidobbs wrote:It can be insanely dangerous to be in the Parade, and very hectic for the drivers. I'd been driving dawn-till-dusk all week, and this was my 6th year playa-driving. I was still startled this year when a bicyclist jumped in front of my car on Esplanade while the crowd was closing in. There are people running through the moving traffic, throwing things, generally being out of control and crowding the vehicles. Some people try to get onto the trucks while they're moving, and without the help of our "red shirts" who walked perimeter, participants could have gotten hurt. In the past, fights broke out, camps were sacked for beer and property/vehicles were damaged. It was just last year that it was edicted that we not play "bumper cars", as my personal truck was bumped and that's not ok. For the uninitiated, the DPW "Fuck your day" harrassment (which can be creative, focused and personal at times) can appear violent and unwelcome. I don't believe it served our purposes in the long run, and that if we just move through waving our freak flag, loud and proud, then participants would appreciate us more. We can be a scary bunch.

lebarondescarteun

Bad and Back

Post by lebarondescarteun » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:09 am

Hey folks, I'm doing it again this year for he second time, I hope that my colostimy bag doesn't break this time!

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:19 am

Anyone know if the ORG got rid of the DPW people that were robbing people at the gate and throughout the city all week long this past year? I have lost alot of respect for DPW, having an inflated ego is one thing but outright robbery of participants is another. When my duffel was snagged I was sleeping right next to it for fucks sake. I hope someone shakes up that dept and gets rid of the scum that robbed me and others this past year.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

mojo

Post by mojo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:16 am

Toolmaker -

I have not been given the courtesy of a response to my communications to BMHQ regarding having the kids in my camp ripped off and frightened by "LowRent's" little "art project". The DPW mantra of "fuck your day" was clearly successful as those kids were really rattled and humiliated, the girls in tears.

That lack of response speaks to the overall protection and cronyism that seems to be the system at work here. Apparently, they can do anything they want unless it is an incident that is big enough to fret being sued over. I, too have been a participant/volunteer for a long time. It seems my contribution is not as valuable to the "powers that be".

As a result, I have ceased being an avid friend and supporter of DPW jokes and misbehaviors. I am now of the opinion that yes, they built the city, which the rest of us paid for and they enjoy for free.

The overall lesson has been that since piracy is going to be an accepted part of our experiment in community, we need to take extra steps to ensure we don't become victims. It has become not funny anymore.

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:14 pm

Maybe next year give them pepper spray and tasers?
I won't put up with thieves in any costume.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:44 pm

Mojo -

could you explain a little about the "Incident" and put it to perspective for us? i am lost, but would like to know more.

mojo

Post by mojo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:37 pm

Discussed to death in this thread:

http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=26456

Basically, the kids (actually young adults pretty much, all newbs without a clue) got stopped by a group flashing a badge and claiming to be undercover BLM. The kids were relieved of all their swag, particularly light toys and glow. They were left with one glow bracelet "so they wouldn't get run over."

I have lost much of my tolerance for people being asshats on the playa and calling it art. I wish I had been with them at the time.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”