Bringing Your Parents to the Burn

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:51 pm

my Hindu friend from India wants to know if he can bring his father to Burning Man. His father died last month and is being kept in deep freeze until then.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:07 pm

Only if we can wire him up like Weekend at Bernie's. :twisted:
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

tinkereese13

Post by tinkereese13 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:36 pm

:wink: Hey I went last year for the first time and I took my daughter. So this year I am taking my mother and my daughter. I told my mom she just needs to expierence everything in life. Even if she just can't handle it, at least she can say that she made a difference in what she sees in other people. so we will see how it goes. plus she wants to spend time with the grand-daughter, this will let me get out and have fun on my own.........YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/i]
"Follow the directions and directly you will be directed into the right direction" - Lewis Carroll Alice in Wonderland

BRC_Santa2003

BASIC thing to consider

Post by BRC_Santa2003 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:30 am

BM is NOT an event for visitors to MERELY watch everyone having a good time.

IF your parents are the kind that WILL GET INVOLVED and actually contribute to the community -- they should have a good time.

IF they are going to:

Have something to do -
SEE what you find so interesting -
Check it out -
Hide in their RV -

It isn't the place for them.

VBS
VBSanta for a reason

roamer
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: The Rising Arms Pub

Post by roamer » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:16 am

Perfect timing VBS

I've just read through this thread, wishing my parents were still around to come to BM with me. They used to love camping and would drive my sister and I down to southern France and Spain once a year in an old Ford Avenger. They would have equally mucked in around camp and been off having the time of their lives too, visiting as many camps as possible and sharing laughter. They wouldn't have approved of everything but would know to respect both mine and other's choices and turn a blind eye.

I've camped with the above Santa for the past few years, as well as many other older members of the BRIBH, and don't see the age difference at all, besides the practical considerations. I'm glad I can truly count many people of the older generation as good mates, both from my camp and elsewhere.

Indeed, when I'm telling friends about BM, I always mention the mixing of ages on the playa and the positive effect of this.

After all, Larry Harvey et al. started this and are of that older generation now;I like to think that they are passing on BM to the next generation to carry on when they are gone.
Doing my bit to put the play in playa

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:19 am

I would love to bring my father and step-mother to burning man. Due to her health issues (she has lung cancer) they will not be able to attend. I have always been very comfortable with my family. I think if my father went he would be the first one to strip down and be running around in the buff. This is also the same man that I ran into a S&M art show a few years ago. I am sure he would love it :)

I plan on bringing my daughter in about 12 years when she is 16 in the hopes that she will see what a truly beautiful experience it is.

Scout13

Post by Scout13 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:39 am

If you are interested in bringing your parents to Burning Man you should sign them up for the new theme camp I saw for 2008…..it’s called, “Watch Your Parents Fuck Camp.â€

soygurl
Burning Since: 2006

Post by soygurl » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:02 pm

hahaha... my parents are the one's who brought ME to BM. They came for the last 3 days the year my mom turned 60 (her birthday is sept. 3 so my bro got her a ticket for her b-day). When I heard they were going, I though my mom would probably be ok, but that my dad would HATE it (I'd only heard about BM at that point). They took an RV and had a blast. They brought me with them their 3rd year ('06), and I had a blast. My mom and I got our boobs painted together for critical tits. I think my dad might have seen my boobs after the parade that day, but I blocked it out. :wink:
Have them read the survival guide a million times just like everyone else. Then let them do the rest them selves. Have separate camps, but make a point to spend at least a little time with them on the playa, it's good for bonding. You're parents are grown-ups who've managed on their own this far... I'm sure they're self-sufficient enough by now that they can handle BM. If really don't think they can, don't bring them!

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:42 pm

I am planning on bringing my Dad this year, he's always wanted to go. Unfortunately, he passed away a couple months ago, so he won't be experiencing exactly the way he would have wished for. Just the same, I think he'll dig it.

t.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:46 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your dad...

Hopefully you can spend some time remembering him at the Temple.

:cry:
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”