To Taggers, Vandals and Thieves: "Just Say Boo!"

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Mister Jellyfish Mister

To Taggers, Vandals and Thieves: "Just Say Boo!"

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:09 am

Taggers and vandals often are motivated by recognition. The old "hey, look at me everybody". What if we started a campaign within the community and called it something like "Just Say Boo!" that encourages participants to point a finger at the person that is disrespecting the art and just yell "booo!" at them until they stop. Others may join in to shame the fuckers. After that, they can have a conversation to re-edumacate them if they feel it's needed, but a fast and embarrassing hand slap might be just the thing. It's simple participation, and it does not have to get in the way of everybody else's good time.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

phil

Post by phil » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:49 am

Reminds me of The Princess Bride. :->

misfit
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Post by misfit » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:32 am

or just tag the tagger with a sharpie...................
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:52 am

Tagger with the sharpie gets a sharpie shoved up his/her ass.
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

phil

Post by phil » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:08 am

Or we'll sick this on 'em:

[youtube][/youtube]

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:46 pm

That's cool!
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:34 pm

Or we could chase them in this?

Stuff like this will probably be really fast and scary one day in the not too distant future. Great... fast scary robots.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:42 pm

DOH!!! Looks like it was already there last year.

phil

Post by phil » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:44 pm

> Looks like it was already there last year.

Why do you think the playa's so barren? :->

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:12 am

This sounds like just another "I don't like what you are doing to MY burn, so stop it." Trying to push the way you think it should be on others. Have a nice week sitting at the temple constantly Booing at people. Wait, writing Graffiti there is ok...

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:18 am

No, it sounds like Don't Fuck with Art that is Not Your Own.

phil

Post by phil » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:40 am

> Trying to push the way you think it should be on others.

No, that's what the vandals are doing to me. :-> Not to mention what they are doing to the artists and their works.

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:50 am

I guess the problem I have is the selective-ness of this, its ok on this piece, but not that.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:20 am

But there would seem to be different intentions at the root of each of these actions.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:12 pm

The Temple expressly invites memorials, random pieces of art do not invite someone to paint their tag on it. What the fuck is so hard to understand about that? It is usually pretty obvious which pieces an artist has set up for graffiti and interaction of that sort, and which pieces are not fair game for taggers. A person would have to be pretty THICK not to get the difference.

Respect the Art. If in doubt, do not tag.

Stray

Split

Post by Stray » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:29 pm

Ok, I agree with the BOOing - thieves first. See someone bragging about stealing BOO! Tagging is a judgment call, Respect the art? Respect the art of the tag! I seem to recall a certain subway entrance on The Playa last year built specifically for the purpose of covering in Graffiti... The guy knows Banksy, http://www.banksy.co.uk/

honestly I think graffiti has a lot of promising qualities, as long as your tag doesn't look like a 2 year olds scribble and you respect other peoples art AND property.

If you don't you get BOOed
I can't recall anything.
But I can call again and again until they pick up.

dragonfly Jafe

Re: Split

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:59 pm

Stray wrote:Tagging is a judgment call, Respect the art? Respect the art of the tag!
great, how about I tag your car? I promise I will think it is done in an artful manner....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

CapSmashy
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:14 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:great, how about I tag your car? I promise I will think it is done in an artful manner....
Exactly.

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:20 pm

Bounce530 wrote:This sounds like just another "I don't like what you are doing to MY burn, so stop it." Trying to push the way you think it should be on others. Have a nice week sitting at the temple constantly Booing at people. Wait, writing Graffiti there is ok...
And you sound like "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I want to fuck up other people's creations with my trash instead making my own stuff".
I guess the problem I have is the selective-ness of this, its ok on this piece, but not that.
And here's a real simple solution so you will never have that problem ever again.

If you did not create it, do not touch it unless you are invited to do so by the artist.

See. That's as simple as breathing. "That's not mine, I should not fuck with it."

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:33 pm

Stray wrote:Ok, I agree with the BOOing - thieves first.
No, thieves deserve much more than a BOOing. I personally agree with the notion of cutting off the hand of the thief. I also understand that is a little harsh for delicate Western Sensibilities, so I typically issue a rather severe beat down to people I have caught stealing from me. My name is not given to me from a coincidence.
Tagging is a judgment call,
No, tagging is fucking bullshit and destructive. If it is not your creation or property and you wer enot invited to do so by the creator of the piece to do so, what exactly makes you think you have some kind of right to deface it with your tags?

You want to deface something? Build it and then tag it to your heart's content.

Hell, I'll even help you set up a wall of plywood sheets that you can whitewash everyday so you and your little tagging buddies have a fresh canvas to fuck up everyday.
Respect the art?
Absolutely.
Respect the art of the tag!
Sure. When it is done in a manner and place where it not defacing or destroying someone else's hard work.

Otherwise....
I seem to recall a certain subway entrance on The Playa last year built specifically for the purpose of covering in Graffiti... The guy knows Banksy, http://www.banksy.co.uk/
Gee, you mean something built and designed for you and your tagger buddies?

Well hot damn, go to town on that and leave the rest of the art alone.
honestly I think graffiti has a lot of promising qualities, as long as your tag doesn't look like a 2 year olds scribble and you respect other peoples art AND property.
And tagging someone else's artwork that did not invite you to do so is showing respect how exactly.

Can you explain that one to me?
If you don't you get BOOed
Well guess what Sherlock, if you are tagging something that the artist does not care if you tag, no one will boo you for it.

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:20 pm

[quote="CapSmashy[quote][b]If you don't you get BOOed[/b][/quote]

Well guess what Sherlock, if you are tagging something that the artist does not care if you tag, no one will boo you for it.[/quote]

How will members of this campaign know if you have the artist permission or not?

And just to clarify, I do understand the difference of something that appears to "ok to write on" and not. I personally will not be writing graffiti on anything. I gave that up many, many years ago. I only paint my own walls, and have already planned on bringing a "legal wall" for 'my little tagger buddies'

phil

Post by phil » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:16 pm

Bounce530 wrote:How will members of this campaign know if you have the artist permission or not?
Well, let's look at the artist's who art was vandalized:

The Damsel Fly: some guy grabbed the end of the tail and repeatedly jerked it up and down until the tail buckled and broke off

America Empowering the World ... Again: Early Sunday morning my futuristic Statue of Liberty had become a 10' cinder; my trailer, generator, scaffold and all of my tools were bent, melted and mangled wreckage. The arsonist(s) had dragged the generator to the trailer, removed the gas cap and dumped it upside down on top.

So do you have any guess on whether these acts could possibly be considered to be with permission? Seriously. What do you think?

Dork

Post by Dork » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:26 pm

With the statue of liberty, that was certainly way, way freakin over the line. I don't know what could prompt someone to do that.

With the Damsel Fly there were people riding it and others spinning and bobbing them with the tail all week long. It seemed designed to do exactly that. It seems that the builder didn't design it to handle the weight of 3 people. I would call that over-zealous play and lack of care to assure they wouldn't break the art. It's not as if this was the only piece of interactive art that broke down during the week.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:50 pm

I'm thankful to my wife last year for suggesting we install a steel mesh screen between participants and chimpanzee inside "U-Me: The Unfortunate Monkey Experience". Still, somebody tried to kick it in repeatedly one night and almost succeeded. Fucking Boo! Go build your own monkey, you ape!

Graffiti is nothing new and was even around in ancient Rome. The difference here is, you bought a ticket, you opted-in, you have a contract with Black Rock City LLC that states on the back of your ticket that you accept their terms including the risk of death or serious injury. If you violate your agreement with a blow torch or a Sharpie, you choose to risk ejection, prosecution, and public humiliation at my pleasure, fuck-tard!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:24 pm

Do you know how hard the Rangers work NOT to expell people? It can take half a day and a lot of people to get rid of someone.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:54 pm

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote: somebody tried to kick it in(U-Me Chimp) repeatedly one night !
Although extremely sympathetic to the notion of protecting ones contribution be it art or a soon to be stolen tool this notion of "community action"towards taggers and such is not going to happen any time too soon at Burning Man.There are drugs and alcohol at BRC.They are frequently abused.
I am sure the dude who spilled a whole cup of beer on my soon to be shorted and ruined mixer was pretty fucked up.Or the chick who decided our rafter poles were perfect for her trapeeze act and brought down a third of the roof.Or whoever had it bad to get to the chimp.Every artist and every camp has similar tales.
Come to The Project and you are going to run into wasted individuals doing stupid things.Often times with many cheering them on.That's part of the scene and something you accept along with "injury and death".
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:22 pm

[quote="phil"]Reminds me of The Princess Bride. :->[/quote] :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The Princess Bride is one of my favorite MOVIES!!!!
along with Wild at Heart and Adventures in Babysitting

And I would join in on more than just BOOOOOooooo If I catch someone tagging peoples ART...
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:16 am

Barbie wrote:
phil wrote:Reminds me of The Princess Bride. :->
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

The Princess Bride is one of my favorite MOVIES!!!!
"Bow down to her then! Bow down to the queen of slime! The queen of muck!..."

Hey, that would work for Zsu Zsu!

robotland

Post by robotland » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:11 am

phil wrote:Or we'll sick this on 'em:

[youtube][/youtube]
It's BIG DOG!!!! My new favorite robot!!! (sorry, Asimo.)

Instead of "BOO!", you should point at taggers or vandals, roll your eyes and squeal like a Pod Person. THEN administer the beatdown, ala' Capt. Smashy.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:38 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Do you know how hard the Rangers work NOT to expell people? It can take half a day and a lot of people to get rid of someone.
Normally I just smite my hands together and shout, "take him away!"

I know not where my brave soldiers take the wretch, nor do I care.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”