To Taggers, Vandals and Thieves: "Just Say Boo!"

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Re: Split

Post by CapSmashy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:55 am

Bounce530 wrote:How will members of this campaign know if you have the artist permission or not?
Hmmm.... perhaps if the object you are tagging is covered in other tags and/or marked as such, it will be obvious that tagging that piece is acceptable.
And just to clarify, I do understand the difference of something that appears to "ok to write on" and not. I personally will not be writing graffiti on anything. I gave that up many, many years ago. I only paint my own walls, and have already planned on bringing a "legal wall" for 'my little tagger buddies'
Excellent.

If you need help setting it up, I will be easily found with either the Dreamyourtopia crew or over at Terminal City in the MASH camp (or Booby Bar). Even if you don't need a hand, come look me up and I'll buy you a drink. =)

If I have room in my packing, I will also bring out some wall materials for our project. Are you going with a single medium or are you going for a mixed media surface for tagging on?

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:08 am

robotland wrote:It's BIG DOG!!!! My new favorite robot!!! (sorry, Asimo.)
With DARPA funding it, I wonder what it ultimate future use would be.

A group of us were watching that and someone uttered this remark.

Imagine it -- this two headed 4 legged beast screaming at you like a chainsaw from hell, buck-kick leaping over concrete walls while blasting reams of tracer rounds at you? jesus fuck you'd be screaming and crying for mommy instantly
Instead of "BOO!", you should point at taggers or vandals, roll your eyes and squeal like a Pod Person. THEN administer the beatdown, ala' Capt. Smashy.
Not on the first offense. I advocate talking first in a case like this.

"Hey man, don't fuck up someone else's art."

And then base my next move on what they do.

I only advocate immediate violence for stopping theft.

Bounce530
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:51 pm

I will be bringing out a bunch of plywood sheets, that have many coats of primer on them, so paint just doesn't soak into the wood, or maybe a coated stock.
Thanks for the offer to help set up, I really do appreciate the offer, and I will stop by for a drink. "Cheers!"

phil

Post by phil » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:03 pm

http://www.Break.com/index/target_practice.html
Takes till about a minute in before it's interesting. Two minutes, and it's _really_ interesting.

So the question is, for the art? Or for the vandals? I think we need a poll.

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:53 am

Imagine it -- this two headed 4 legged beast screaming at you like a chainsaw from hell, buck-kick leaping over concrete walls while blasting reams of tracer rounds at you? jesus fuck you'd be screaming and crying for mommy instantly

If I were to ever misplace my lower torso and legs, I'd want to be grafted to one- Sans armament, 'prolly. I AM a Sagitarius....

I only advocate immediate violence for stopping theft.[/quote]

I suppose so...I'll satisfy any cravings for Immediate Violence with a latenight foray over to Raverville. Or continue my quest to find that snotty girl that called me a tourist, back in '03. Grrrrr!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:05 am

[quote="phil"]http://www.Break.com/index/target_practice.html
Takes till about a minute in before it's interesting. Two minutes, and it's _really_ interesting.

I here and now swear that I will never, ever miss an episode of Top Gear. Even though they spend too much time gushing about driving around in circles, they also burn down or blow up LOTS of things AND make space shuttles out of Robin Reliants and make their own shoddy amphibious vehicles. And I like hearing someone say, "Look at the bonnet!" after riddling a flying car with bullets.
SPOILER ALERT: An American version of the show is in development.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:45 am

phil wrote:http://www.Break.com/index/target_practice.html

So the question is, for the art? Or for the vandals? I think we need a poll.
I love that video. :)

CapSmashy

Post by CapSmashy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:42 am

Bounce530 wrote:I will be bringing out a bunch of plywood sheets, that have many coats of primer on them, so paint just doesn't soak into the wood, or maybe a coated stock.
Thanks for the offer to help set up, I really do appreciate the offer, and I will stop by for a drink. "Cheers!"
I look forward to it.

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:08 am

Stray wrote:Ok, I agree with the BOOing - thieves first. See someone bragging about stealing BOO! Tagging is a judgment call, Respect the art? Respect the art of the tag!
How 'bout this: If I catch you tagging my art I'll beat your dumb ass and make you eat your pen. We'll call it art. You can boo, bleed, whatever.

Tagging is not a judgment call. It's vandalism of other people's art. Try that shit in an art museum and watch what happens.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

phil

Playa vandalism

Post by phil » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:46 am

The ultimate playa burn:

[youtube][/youtube]

For scale, observe the people on the left side of the rim.

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:25 pm

"The ultimate playa burn: "

Where is that video taken? That is disturbing and beautiful.

phil

Post by phil » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:31 pm

If you click on the youtube logo in the lower right corner, it takes you to the page on youtube where it is identified and described (click "MORE" to the right of the vid) and where you'll find more links to additional vids. Very, very scary.

falk

Post by falk » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:25 am

CapSmashy wrote:
Bounce530 wrote:I will be bringing out a bunch of plywood sheets, that have many coats of primer on them, so paint just doesn't soak into the wood, or maybe a coated stock.
I look forward to it.
Definitely tell Paul Addis where it will be set up.

OneStepBeyond

Post by OneStepBeyond » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:32 pm

Well this thread is completely one sided. Let me jump in.
Graffiti is not always art, i'll be the first to tell you that. But some is, I TOTALLY agree that no one should ever valdalize or tag on some one elses art work, and thats to the graffiti community is a LAW and anyone who has been been in the scene long enough will most surely know that. Most people that do graffiti do it for they're own egotistical needs, and some do it for art, expression, politics, stress reliever, or for the love of it. Some graffiti should be labeled as art, but then its really not called graffiti, its should be called art!. There is many artist out here in L.A that take countless hours and sometimes days creating murals, graffiti inspired art, and only to get there the next day after finishing it to find out that some random "gang" or "tagger crew" wrote all over it. they feel the frustation too. most people have a stereotypical view of a graffiti artist, Which is a gangmember that tags on a wall more than normal. But if you knew, graffiti artist come from all walks of life, from the poorest guy sketching in his notebook, to the rich kid taking art classes. from a man in a bussines suit, to a crackhead looking bum. almost like an alter person, you can say some what like super man, by day hes a contributor to society, by night hes painting 10 color peices on a wall.
Pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

OneStepBeyond

Post by OneStepBeyond » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:47 pm

some can be political

Some just plain wild art.

Some do it so you can see it from space.

some do it for the adrenaline rush knowing once step back could be death.

nebulachic

Post by nebulachic » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:55 pm

Oh man! I hope someone brings a big dog!!! I want to try to re-program it's evil government mind!!!!!

OneStepBeyond

Post by OneStepBeyond » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:13 pm

"How 'bout this: If I catch you tagging my art I'll beat your dumb ass and make you eat your pen. We'll call it art. You can boo, bleed, whatever.

Tagging is not a judgment call. It's vandalism of other people's art. Try that shit in an art museum and watch what happens."

its been done.

[youtube][/youtube]

Watch this one, You guys will ove it!

[youtube][/youtube]

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:47 pm

I think if you get permission to paint or scratch on someone property, then it is reasonable to call it art, regardless of the aesthetic quality. I think if you do not get permission, then it is vandalism, regardless of the aesthetic quality.

Respecting the art of the tag? Did the artist respect other's use and enjoyment of their property, namely by getting permission? Funny how graffiti artists see common space as their personal instrument for individual expression. Sounds pretty selfish.

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:33 pm

Caught two recently.
Felony vandalism charges.
Lawsuit to follow.

Defense so far- "My son was only painting a commercial building nearby."

I think they will find it an expensive art piece.

I seem to recall taggers being shot to death in LA.
Risks of the game, I suppose.

OneStepBeyond

Post by OneStepBeyond » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:08 am

yeah, actually gangs kill taggers, most people think they are the same but gangs are out to kill taggers. anyways, fuck it what ever damn them all to hell I guess.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:29 am

I've painted over gang border graffiti myself.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:33 am

OneStepBeyond wrote:yeah, actually gangs kill taggers, most people think they are the same but gangs are out to kill taggers. anyways, fuck it what ever damn them all to hell I guess.
The case I was thinking of, a private citizen attempted to stop some tagging and had to defend himself.
There was alot of publicity at the time.

OneStepBeyond

Post by OneStepBeyond » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:37 pm

[quote="gyre"][quote="OneStepBeyond"]yeah, actually gangs kill taggers, most people think they are the same but gangs are out to kill taggers. anyways, fuck it what ever damn them all to hell I guess.[/quote]The case I was thinking of, a private citizen attempted to stop some tagging and had to defend himself.
There was alot of publicity at the time.[/quote]

I know exacly the incident your talking about, and no those we're gangmembers. A lot of times the media just generalizes and says taggers, but if they we're to show you the graffiti, it would clearly prove that it was a gang.

But like i said boo them all!!!! society could do with out them.

honeyfire

Pee on your own stuff, and i won't pee on yours.

Post by honeyfire » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:27 am

I've been given to understand by some graffiti artists in Denver, Santa Cruz, Bay Area, and LA that "tagging" is territorial marking (visual peeing), rather than art.
I know some who will never refer to graffitti as tagging for that very reason.

I personally think that marking someone else's art without invitation is tagging, regardless of the aesthetic quality of the tag.

I have no problem with people creating graffitti on public non-art surfaces (except when it renders a traffic direction sign useless. Causing car wrecks is not art, it's assault).

I do have a problem with people " visual peeing" on my stuff...

Thus my inability to take the urging
"Respect the tag!"
seriously...
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!

OneStepBeyond

Re: Pee on your own stuff, and i won't pee on yours.

Post by OneStepBeyond » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:17 pm

"I've been given to understand by some graffiti artists in Denver, Santa Cruz, Bay Area, and LA that "tagging" is territorial marking (visual peeing), rather than art.
I know some who will never refer to graffitti as tagging for that very reason. "

Yeah, there is a big difference between a tag and a piece. A tag is just basicly graffiting your name or moniker on a wall. A piece is something that takes time and effort, color and expression. It really isn't territorial unless they try to "claim" that area then I rather see them as a gang.
A real piecer/graffiti artist doesn't care about territory, his side vs that side, no none of that. The problem with a lot of "taggers" now a days is the influence put on to them by that westcoast thug life idolism, so in reality taggers are little kids that have no direction in they're young lives, a piecer/graff artist is a more mature man that has a passion for what hes doing and has a reason and a motive apart from territory or ego's(the I got a bigger dick than you way of thinking)

"I personally think that marking someone else's art without invitation is tagging, regardless of the aesthetic quality of the tag."

I do too, I would never disagree with that, Around here if you we're to write around a legal(permission wall) they will beat on you, they will teach you a lesson for not respecting they're art, and you should do the same if someone disrespects your art as well, or atleast bring it up to they're attention and point out that its disrespectful.

"I have no problem with people creating graffitti on public non-art surfaces (except when it renders a traffic direction sign useless. Causing car wrecks is not art, it's assault)."

I agree with that too, Just as long as it's not ugly, I too hate it when I park and have to walk up close to the sign to try to make out what it says. And some walls are so nice by themseleves they don't deserve to be touched.
For the most part a graffiti Artist will always show the most respect for your work and would NEVER tag on your piece, but a tagger? I don't know what they're motives are exacly

This is a Tag... by some random lame ass tagger.

This is a piece, done by an GraffitiArtist.

This one is Illegal Art done by the same Artist.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:32 pm

Taggers hit a group of parked school busses here in Utah, effectively canceling summer enrichment field trips. They covered the windows, the district has no money to clean up the busses and fund the free summer programs.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:38 pm

I guess this thread is one of the reasons guns are banned at the event
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOoooo.....oooO.O.oo...O....oooooOOoooooooo..

out of ammo
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

OneStepBeyond

Post by OneStepBeyond » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:46 pm

Taggers hit a group of parked school busses here in Utah, effectively canceling summer enrichment field trips. They covered the windows, the district has no money to clean up the busses and fund the free summer programs.

Fuck em, throw the book at them kids, you swear it was grown artist writting on school buses. The piece above in between both pictures ^ under the lame taggers tag was actualy done in a school.
I too feel the pain and frustration, I work with trucks, and I fucking hate it when they tag on our trucks! I hate it! but theres a big difference between the two, Taggers, and Graffiti Artist.

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:25 pm

EspressoDude wrote: .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOoooo.....oooO.O.oo...O....oooooOOoooooooo..
Isnt that the chorus to "The Right Stuff- by the Backstreet Boys?"

Ninth Path

Post by Ninth Path » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:37 pm

I believe that you're thinking of New Kids on the Block. I can't believe I know that.....

I heard they're going on tour again, actually. Also can't believe I know that.

I better stop.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”