DPW status

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Rezl

DPW status

Post by Rezl » Fri May 09, 2008 3:00 pm

I have a Department of Public Works questions. I planned on volunteering with them this year, so I sent in an application and received a follow-up app that I sent in as well. Although, up until now I haven't heard anything back and I'm not sure how long it normally takes to know whether they'll be needing the help or not. They aren't responding to my email either. I'm wondering if anyone has volunteered with them before and might know the process? How much longer should I expect to wait? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks ^^
~Rezl

phil

Post by phil » Fri May 09, 2008 4:38 pm

I can't speak for DPW, but last week I did the volunteer page on burningman.com for exodus, got a quick followup that I assume is automatic, but I've heard nothing personal yet.

I volunteered last year, but I have forgotten how long it took to hear from a person at Exodus. I did get contacted, put on their email list, assigned myself to whatever I wanted to do that they had available, and worked the close of Burning Man.

Congratulations on volunteering and see you on the playa. :-> Just don't run me down in your big DPW truck, okay?

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri May 09, 2008 6:05 pm

Phone the office.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

lonestoner916

Re: DPW status

Post by lonestoner916 » Fri May 09, 2008 10:21 pm

Rezl wrote:I have a Department of Public Works questions. I planned on volunteering with them this year, so I sent in an application and received a follow-up app that I sent in as well. Although, up until now I haven't heard anything back and I'm not sure how long it normally takes to know whether they'll be needing the help or not. They aren't responding to my email either. I'm wondering if anyone has volunteered with them before and might know the process? How much longer should I expect to wait? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks ^^
~Rezl

I went through the same thing. The DPW had over 500 volunteers this year, as I learned from the man in charge (Cobra Comandante) at the Burning Man Open House. The waiting list to join this years crew is huge but there are a few things you could do to get yourself put on the short list. First, DO NOT bug the Borg too much, it's not that they don't care they are just really overworked. If you have any special skills, especially if you're a certified heavy equipment operator or electrician, etc. that will greatly help your chances. Lastly, if there is any way possible, attend at least one of the work weekends in Gerlach. I'll post the info on those below. I myself passed up the opportunity to join the Rangers because I thought I would be working for DPW this year. After not hearing anything from them even after making a special trip to San Francisco just to show my face, I eventually volunteered for and was accepted into the Center Camp Documentation Posse. (CCDP!) My point being, there are LOTS of volunteer opportunites, so even if you don't get picked for DPW, don't be discouraged. Super long work weekend email to follow:

Howdy folks!

Things have been crazy busy at BMHQ lately. It seems like the whole place has been buzzing much more than usual for a while now... There's so much going on these days with Burners Without Borders, and Black Rock Solar, and BRAF, and our various Outreach Away Team Missions, that the Big Thing At The Center almost managed to creep right up on me. But yesterday I looked around and there it was:

Work Weekends. Less than a month away.

We've got the first three dates nailed down, so I thought I'd post 'en in case you'd like to come on out and help us start hammering the year together:

April 18th - April 20th - Our First 2008 Work Weekend!
May 9th - May 11th
May 23rd - MAy 26th - Memorial Day weekend
June 13th-15th
August 8th-10th - FENCE!

In case you are unfamiliar with the concept: Work Weekends are usually held at Black Rock Station (our property outside of Gerlach), and we use 'em to get a jump on construction for the upcoming work season. Some are for Special Projects, and some are open to anyone that wants to come up and lend a hand. Everything we can do early, we try to get done.

After the event is over, we have a few Playa Restoration weekends, inviting everyone that can to help out with deconstruction, linesweeps and the last of the mooping.

Work Weekends have become a crucial part of the work season, and can be a great way for folks to come up for a taste of the DPW lifestyle...

The Work Weekend dates listed above are OPEN CALL - if you can come out and lend a hand we'd love to have you. If you are planning on attending an upcoming work weekend, please contact Fox, our Work Weekend Volunteer Coordinator, and let her know you are planning on coming.
Her email is [email protected].

The skinny on how these things go:

Folks tend to arrive Friday night. The Work Weekends begin Saturday morning at around 8:00 am, either on the Playa or at Black Rock Station (affectionately known as "the Ranch"). We'll be sure and tell you where we're gonna be staging each weekend. Please check in with Fox when you arrive (She'll have a bit of paperwork for ya). People arriving Friday should check in at the office in Gerlach, or if the office is closed (after 5:00 PM), check at the Black Rock Saloon. Check below for locations of these
facilities.

Lodging will not be provided... You'll need to bring a tent or some other shelter. Overnight parking is available for folks who wanna to sleep in their vehicles. You'll need to bring your own sleeping bag or bedding, and be prepared for it to get pretty chilly at night. There will be limited tent space under a rain shelter while we're camped at the ranch.

Meals: We usually have coffee going early each morning, and will be providing breakfast, lunch and dinner on Saturday, breakfast and lunch on Sunday. Feel free to bring something to contribute if you like. We've had a couple of folks asking about being a "Guest Chef" for one or more of our Work Weekends this year... if you are interested in whipping up a meal for the crew Let Fox know what you have in mind. We'll have the BRICK (Black Rock City Mobile Kitchen) ready and at your disposal for cooking and boiling water and such.

The tap water available in Gerlach and on the ranch is potable and safe. Some people find its taste objectionable. If you're fussy about water, bring your own, in container(s) you plan to take back home to recycle.

Recycling is very limited in Washoe County, NV. We ask that you please plan to take all your plastic and glass containers back home and recycle them there.

Locations: The Gerlach office located at 390 Main Street, on the south side of Main/Hwy 447 adjacent to the red water tower (on the left if you arrive from Reno, on the right if you arrive from Cedarville).

The Black Rock Saloon, a private club serving Burning Man staff and volunteers, is immediately across the street from the Gerlach Office. It is generally open from 5:00 PM on weekend evenings.

Black Rock Station, or "The Ranch" is the near-site work and storage facility, located about 25 miles north of Gerlach via. NV State Hwy 34. To get there, drive northwesterly out of town on Main St. Keep right (straight ahead) at junction, onto SR34... this will take you alongside the playa. Keep on driving about 21 miles (0.7 mi past end of pavement), and turn right onto Jackson lane. Proceed approx. 0.8 mi. to ranch entrance on right (south) side of drive.

Good things to bring:

- A coffee/drink cup which you can fasten to you and carry around and/or a water/drink container which you can fasten to you and carry around

- A plate, bowl, spoon, fork, knife, etc. which you can wash, reuse, and take home with you.

- Work clothes for all weather conditions (it may be hot, cold, wet and dry during a single day)

- Work gloves

Things you won't need:

- Tools. The DPW will provide you with all the tools you will need.

- Personal safety equipment (including eye and hearing protection) - DPW will provide it... though you can bring your own if you like. DPW will provide dust masks if necessary or desired.

That's it! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me, or write to Fox, and we'll get you sorted out.

Hope we see you out there!

We're still hammering out the rest of the work weekend schedule, and I'll post the rest of the dates to [email protected] just as soon as we get it settled.

Cheers, all - Talk to y'all soon!

-Logan-
aka Cobra Comandante
DPW Crewmaster
(415) 865-3800 x114
[email protected]
[img]http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv92/Motha420Herb/stoner.gif[/img]
http://lonestonersblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sat May 10, 2008 3:16 pm

Or you can go to the thread "Participating In The Potty Project". I know for certain Robbidobbs can use all of the help she can get and believe me, what you would be doing for her is, in all likelihood, a hundred more times more important than the crap the DPW would have you do. What few people seem to understand, if Burning Man has an Achille's heel, it's the JOTS. Our citizens, especially the 15,000 or so newbies, have no clue on how important an issue this is. They take the portapotties for granted, trash them, put baby wipes in them, and should the Nevada Department of Public Health really gets a bug up its ass (and make no mistake, we have enemies within the bureaucracy who would like to see us simply disappear) they could close us in a New York second. If you really want to do some good, something that could save the event, volunteer for the Potty Project. And that goes for the rest of you as well.

skygod
Burning Since: 2004

Post by skygod » Sat May 10, 2008 6:57 pm

First thing I am going to do (after I set up my carport) is carry a case of Fat Tire Ale over to the DPW office. Those guys saved my bacon last year by unlocking my van when I locked the keys inside it and was too fucked up to help myself. I wish I had the guts to volunteer for them. They are the Shiznit!
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

phil

Post by phil » Sat May 10, 2008 7:06 pm

> carry a case

That's not enough. :->

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat May 10, 2008 8:11 pm

I'd love to be part of DPW, and I can weld, operate heavy equipment, etc...
But I'm too busy doing that shit for a living and paying the mortgage and other bills to take the time off!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

motskyroonmatick
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sat May 10, 2008 8:20 pm

Word!!!, Dr. Pyro.
Every year JOTS (now USS) come to the Playa and they do battle to keep the JOTS clean and their equipment working from all the trash that gobbs it up. Mutch love to Robbidobbs for the superhuman effort she puts in to it. The event would not happen without her hard work, dedication and megaphone amplified instructional sessions. Imagine how bad exodus would be if the event were shut down by Nevada Health :cry:
I'm going to help Robbidobbs again with potty signs and I plan on contributing more by helping with exodus too.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun May 11, 2008 7:41 am

The jots seem to be the repository for all sorts of nasty. I try not to look down there, but its like a car wreck.

Clothing, garbage bags, drink cups, and all sorts of nasty are in there.

If Nevada Health tried to shut the event down - it wouldnt work. Even if every officer commisioned or not on playa (2-300) was pushing for everyone to leave, they couldnt make them. It would take a week of ticket writing and complaining and the event would be over by then.

my 2 cents

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun May 11, 2008 8:49 am

mdmf007, it's not that the Nevada Dept. of Public Health would shut us down immediately, rather they would see to it that there is no "next year". Clearly if they tried to shut down the event midweek not only would it be impossible, but anarchy would reign (as if it doesn't now). But to say, "Well, you guys managed to put the turn in the punchbowl, so we will not allow you back in 2009." That is well within the rhelm of possibilities. So as much good as the DPW does, and their parade does kick ass, I will say again, if you really want to volunteer and help the event and ensure it's survival, volunteer for the Pottie Project. My good friend Robbidobbs will be happy to lead you, megaphone and all.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sun May 11, 2008 9:47 am

The state has threatened to close down the event before based on sanitation concerns.

Re: DPW, most of what they do is clean up, but you don't have to be a member to clean up on your own.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

robbidobbs
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Wed May 14, 2008 2:37 pm

mdmf007 wrote:The jots seem to be the repository for all sorts of nasty. I try not to look down there, but its like a car wreck.
Clothing, garbage bags, drink cups, and all sorts of nasty are in there.
I like this sentence as a sign. I think I'll take it.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

skygod

Post by skygod » Thu May 15, 2008 5:14 pm

Someone posted once they looked down and saw an entire uncooked rack of lamb down there. I'm inclined to believe it.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Feel free to use that line Robbi - Im here through Tuesday, dont forget to tip the waitresses.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”