How to deal with eczema on the playa

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
squishelle
Burning Since: 2000

How to deal with eczema on the playa

Post by squishelle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:40 am

I have a friend, potential newbie, who is concerned about going to the playa due to his eczema. He is worried the dust will make his skin worse....

Have you or do you know someone who has weathered the skin condition storm and has some pointers?

please reply here or email squishelle at burninbabes dot com
-------------------------------
[email protected]
Guild Workshops Communications
Vancouver Regional Contact
Meta Regional Contact - Local Leader

A city in the desert. A culture of possibility. A network of dreamers and doers.

Free2B

Post by Free2B » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:43 pm

I'm a newbie myself, but in my case I was finally prescribed a steroid cream that works if I remember to use it. My skin heals pretty well. Which reminds me, I missed a few days. I have no idea how the dust will effect my skin, but if I usually have a bad reaction after household cleaners, with the cream it's ok, so I'm hoping for the best. I will take gloves w/me just in case, to wear if my hands get irritated & to possibly put on at night over a heavy layer of steroid cream. Looking at my hands, they're actually fully healed, I haven't seem them this way in years. I guess your friend isn't reacting as well to his treatment?

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:29 pm

I have psoriasis on my shins, and i have to keep it real hydrated to not crack in the dry humidity. So being well lotioned up, it turns into a dust magnet.

ragabashpup

Post by ragabashpup » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:41 pm

Where is the eczema located on the body. That could make it really hard or easy to care for. If its located only on the hands he can keep it lotioned and wear gloves. I dont have eczema but my mother has struggled with it for 25+ years and I have learned a lot from her on it since she has a really bad case that doesn't react well to steroid medication.

squishelle

Post by squishelle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:47 pm

thanks all for the replies & keep them coming, i'll pass them on & see about getting more deets.

my friend Stacy also replied to me:
Mine flares up when I use the pottie disinfectant. I have a steroid cream from the doctor I bring with me. I find that washing my hands a lot with Dr. Bronners works well for me.

Oh yeah, lots of lotion on my hands when I sleep so that they don't crack and bleed.

But my condition is moderate to mild.

stacy
[email protected]

A city in the desert. A culture of possibility. A network of dreamers and doers.

squishelle

Post by squishelle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:20 pm

more deets:

Brian actually has it pretty bad at times. Often on his face, hands, back of the legs back, etc and sometimes around his eyes, which makes it incredibly difficult for him.

He applies his steroid cream religiously when it flares up as well as applying lotion every day to his whole body!!

He was wondering specifically about the alkaline dust and if anyone has increased problems from it, after all it could be a real biotch to even those of us that don't have skin problems.
[email protected]

AKAparttime
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: some times Outpost Tokyo

Post by AKAparttime » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:46 pm

Go look around your town for a job site see if you can find
some( dry wall) fall down , get a small pc..
grind it up ,,,,
Do a little test...

Cassidy

Post by Cassidy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:12 pm

Depending on where he's coming from the change in humidity might be a factor as well. I live in a dry climate at high altitude already so, for me, the playa's not a drastic change for my skin. I definitely do drink more water there, just because there's a pretty constant, drying breeze, and I'm not usually outside for a week at a time.

I second the Dr. Bronner's suggestion. You don't need much to get clean and it's so non-toxic you could practically drink it. (But don't, ok? :roll: ) It's one of the few soaps I can use that doesn't dry my skin out like crazy or cause me to break out in dime-sized spots. They use natural oils as opposed to spot-inducing "fragrances".

I think that drywall test might be a good indicator as to how he'll react to the playa dust too. Is gypsum really just bleached playa dust? hm.

squishelle

Post by squishelle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:15 pm

good thinkin'!
i've got a bottle o' the ol' playa dust at home (2005 actually)!
i'll bring it to our Burner Skool event tomorrow night & pass it on to him for testing!
[email protected]

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:26 pm

for some reason Udder Cream hydrates pretty well and repels dust better than most creams.

sunn

Post by sunn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:29 pm

I just discovered Tee Tree Oil...(okay, maybe everyone else already knows about it, but I didn't!) and I'm a nurse. But it's absolutely amazing for skin irritations/infections/inflammations/sunburn/allergy related problems.
My daughter has terrible allergies and used it on her hives on her chest, amazing...it went completely away by the next day.
It's natural and not expensive. You can use it on your face even. (Just be careful around the eyes.)
You probably want to wear lightweight, longsleeved things during the day; it will protect a bit more as well against all the clingy playa dust.
I shower every night and apply a good strong foot cream (or vaseline even) to my feet, then wear socks to bed. The dust is extremely alkali, and cracks will come quickly, as we all know.
But have your friend try the Tee Tree Oil here at home before he goes. It's worth a try!

squishelle

Post by squishelle » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:37 pm

another friend replied to me by email:

i get terrible eczema. i usually react to chemicals and food.
In fact, direct sun helps clear it up. I need LOTS of moisturizer to
combat the dry air. I don't think i used that chemically potty
disinfectant either, i think i brought some sort of gentle on skin
baby wipes.
i tend to stay away from the steroid creams, but i will absolutely use
it if i can't stand it anymore.
[email protected]

Marscrumbs

Post by Marscrumbs » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:48 pm

After a week on the playa it won't matter as all the rest of us will have skin just like yours.

whimsy
Burning Since: 2007

Here's a happy hope for your friend

Post by whimsy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:41 am

When I was exposed to the alkaline dust of the playa, my eczema went away! I talked this over with my doctor, and she suggested that my eczema is made worse by dampness (or fungus), so the dry air and dust was actually a healing environment for my skin.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”