Do you plan out and attend the events in the Booklet?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
InvisibleMan

Do you plan out and attend the events in the Booklet?

Post by InvisibleMan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:01 pm

I had trouble with last years little book of events and locations and times that is given when entering. Seemed overly complicated from years prior. Anyone know if they are going to make it a little easier to figure out without needing to cross reference six times? Anyone even make it to these things without randomly stumbling on them? I have trouble judging time when on the playa yet every year I spend two hours the first day ooohing and awwing about things I wanna do in the booklet and then wonder what i missed at the end of the week when i realize i havent picked it back up the entire time. Maybe it is just me. Just curious.
“All God does is watch us, and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.” –Chuck Palaniuk

Dato

Re: Do you plan out and attend the events in the Booklet?

Post by Dato » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:13 pm

InvisibleMan wrote: I have trouble judging time when on the playa yet every year I spend two hours the first day ooohing and awwing about things I wanna do in the booklet and then wonder what i missed at the end of the week when i realize i havent picked it back up the entire time. Maybe it is just me. Just curious.
haha! It is definitely not just you! I do the same thing every single year. I'm sure man others are in this boat. :lol:

Rezl

Post by Rezl » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:28 am

I concur. Last year's book was so user-unfriendly, I wondered if it was actually a ploy to discourage people from using it. Fortunately, I came meticioulously prepared. Everything that will be in the book is already listed on this year's [url=http://playacal.burningman.com/day.php]Playa Event Calendar[/url]. A Solution? I go through all of it and make my own list of events, times, and locations to have with me at the event. I still use the official map at the event because it's easier, but I then I already know the things I refuse to miss out on, or would just like to check out if I have the free time.

Be Present! Even if you have all your ducks in a row, I still spent too much time last year looking at [i]a clock[/i], of all things. Try to stay spontaneous and in the moment. You will miss everything if you're too cast in the future to notice it's already there, passing you by.

MrMullen

Post by MrMullen » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:34 am

In previous years, the event booklet was a good chuck of my Burningman experience and I was hoping to share that with my girlfriend for her first year in 2007. However, they released a really fucked up booklet last year and it basically killed that for us. We tried to find a few things but after a couple of days we gave up on it and wandered the city in search of adventures. Also, we had tons of people wandering into our camp looking for yoga that was a block over.

The booklet can be a big thing for the people who don't drink or do drugs and actually go to Burningman for the art and don't stay in their camp drunk the entire time. The events at Black Rock City really drive it for us.
--
Mr Mullen

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:25 pm

I alo did like Rezl, and prepaired a list before last years BM- With
much frustration due to a slow flaked out DSL connection.

The WWW list passed out at the gate (oops They had none when I
entered-had to bike to the gate the next day from inside for one)
was totally completely worthless.

Months later I found my DSL slowdown was due to a portable
phone also at 2.4 GHZ. :!:
crash & burn ski lessons given

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:40 am

The book last year was a total fuck-up on the part of whoever shit it out.
But to address your question: I pick one or maybe two specific things to do, and even those end up being subject to Playa Time over-ride.
Trying to do the OCD thing and pre-plan your week never works out, and it's impossible anyway. Nothing ever goes as planned out there, so even if you are on the mark, the event won't be!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:00 am

Six years on the playa and I still devour that damn book on my first day every single time. I circle things, I discuss events with my friends, and I even make genuine attempts to attend some of said events. Generallly it all falls apart and I just wander around having fun, but planning on going to workshops, lectures, pastie making classes, etc. is all part of the Burning Man ritual. Plus it's fun to read when I get stuck in my tent due to wind, dust, or inebriation.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

hunter S

Post by hunter S » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:04 am

Jezebel, I just get this mental image..."Jez, your inegrated! take something to read and go to your tent!" :? "Don't make me tell you again!"
:evil:
Objects behind you may appeare larger than reality!

JezebelinHell

Post by JezebelinHell » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:21 am

Integrated or inebriated?
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe

hunter S

Post by hunter S » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:26 am

opps! gotta learn to preview. :oops:
Objects behind you may appeare larger than reality!

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:00 pm

I'm no different...get the book, highlight like mad/circle shit/make a list...get on my bike go 110 feet, stop at the first roadside bar and that's about as far as I get...every frickin' year! So funny.

Two years ago it was my turn to make the ice run...came back 3 hours later totally fucked up and...you guessed it...no ice...

I gotta get organized! Thing is I'm a total organization freak on the outside...I let go of it at the Burn.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

summitsprite

Post by summitsprite » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:16 am

this is the first i have heard of a schedual book
cool--

sure i'll just follow some kinda bliss but unless scotty does beam me up and land me where i wanna be in this city of 40,000
i ????
i am trying to imagine-the size of 8 bisbee, arizonias
on that little gridded map
yoga is kinda quiet to listen for but
humm i guess it would be o.k. to go in late :wink:

is there a way to preview this event calender other than going to each individual theme camp
yummy
i'd love to see it
summie
argue for your limitations and they will surely be yours

somekind

Post by somekind » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:39 am

The list looks the same this year. Lots of fun events to attend, but where are they?
http://burningmanvideos2007.blogspot.com/

If someone offers you drugs, it's a cop.
If someone asks you for drugs, it's a cop.
If someone fucks you for drugs, it's not a cop.

ZaphodBurner
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Post by ZaphodBurner » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:39 pm

The booklet simply allows you to bring out your inner attention-deficit puppy.

It throws the stick out there for you to chase--which is a lot of fun--and you can't wait to do it, and you tear out after it with every intention of chewing it to bits. On the way you find all kinds of butterflies, cars, balls and other sticks to chase, butts to sniff, and dandelions, cats, shoes, kids and other things upon which to gnaw and slobber until you've forgetten exactly what it was you were supposed to do in the first place.

In the meantime, you might get patted on the head, run over by a car, kicked off of somebody's lawn or adopted by a family...

It usually works out perfectly even though you never get where you thought you were going.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”