Handicapped at Burning Man?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
smokyroom26

Handicapped at Burning Man?

Post by smokyroom26 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi Burners -

Four days before our first day in Black Rock City, my fellow camper has had an unfortunate accident. He tore a ligament in his knee and is now on crutches with a leg brace. He is determined to go to Burning Man despite the hardship, so we are trying to figure out what we need to do. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated....I heard something about a Hot Wheels camp?

Thanks,

Brittany

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:47 pm

Hot Wheelz will be on the playa.
They loan wheelchairs and other transport to disabled folks, but there are never enough to go around, so take something if you can.

He could try to get a disability permit, though the deadline is past.
If he doesn't have a temporary tag from the state, he should take any paperwork he can come up with from his doctors.
The signed and completed application for the tags might help.
If he can't bring something himself, he has the option of riding on art cars or with other people with vehicles.

If you enable your email, I can send you more info on getting around, if it would help, or email me (not pm, thanks).

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:47 pm

If he doesn't have a temporary tag from the state, he should take any paperwork he can come up with from his doctors.
If he can't bring something himself, he has the option of riding on art cars or with other people with vehicles.
A LOT has changed with the BRC DMV so this info may be obsolete.

First, unless someone has an actual handicapped placard issued by the state which the vehicle is registered in the BRC DMV will NOT issue a handicapped permit. Doctors notes and such will not be accepted and haven't been for a few years now. This is due in part to asshats in the past gaming the system with bogus excuses in order to drive their vehicles around BRC.

I believe that Hot Wheelz will be back. It's a grand idea and one that has for many years provided a fantastic service to the event. Not sure where they're located although I'd check on the camp listings that are somewhere on the main BM web site.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:20 pm

According to the camp placement list from another topic, Hot Wheelz Camp will be at Center Camp and 7:00.

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:57 pm

Isotopia wrote:
A LOT has changed with the BRC DMV so this info may be obsolete.

First, unless someone has an actual handicapped placard issued by the state which the vehicle is registered in the BRC DMV will NOT issue a handicapped permit. Doctors notes and such will not be accepted and haven't been for a few years now. This is due in part to asshats in the past gaming the system with bogus excuses in order to drive their vehicles around BRC.

I believe that Hot Wheelz will be back. It's a grand idea and one that has for many years provided a fantastic service to the event. Not sure where they're located although I'd check on the camp listings that are somewhere on the main BM web site.
That is the specific rule exactly.
But as you point out, the intent is to identify those that qualify.
And morons have indeed shown up in removable casts, using someone else's placards or tags and so on.

My opinion is that the dmv is interested in restricting the permits to those that need one.
State tags are issued on the doctor's signing of a form.

Many people have limitations that make a normal traverse from a car easy enough, but quickly find the playa is too much.

I have seen people with multiple sclerosis trying to navigate the city by bike.
They do pretty well sometimes too, but it's really too much for them.
So many people arrive before finding out how hard it really is.
And often someone only needs the help of the tags in very rare circumstances, and so never gets them.
But trying to manage the playa is likely to be a place where someone finds those limits.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:25 pm

Even though I had all necessary paperwork required by BLM/ORG I was fucked last year due to delays and the time running out. There is a time limit on pre-registering and I missed it by not staying on top of them following through. You MUST follow through with them after starting the process. Also do NOT rely on ANYONE for a wheelchair if you need one, the playa flake factor will ALWAYS prevail and you will be left aggravating your injury.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

phil

Post by phil » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:54 pm

The playa is very accessible, but getting around on crutches is very, very tiring. If you can get him a wheelchair off-playa, you'll be ahead of the game. I hope the playa is in better shape than rumors would have it.

Good luck and have fun.

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:35 am

phil wrote:I hope the playa is in better shape than rumors would have it.

Good luck and have fun.
Its not.. in fact even bike may have some problems without knobbys.

I predict more dust than last year, if not we will try to increase the dust as much as possible.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 pm

2004 I had my ACL replaced 3 weeks before the burn. I made it out and stayed on crutches the whole time its a bitch but not much different from getting around anywhere. Just make sure to bring LOTS of disenfectant and wrap. I got a bit of an infection in the scar that proved to be uncomfortable at the very least.

As accidents and things go, losing 1 leg at BM for a short while insnt a huge issue. You'll actually find your friend getting every art car in existance pulling over and offering a ride if they have room, something many able bodied people dont always get.

Make good use of the medics too at the O'Clock branches of 3 and 9. Stop in every couple of days and they'll give you a proper scrub down on the area.

Just dont let him get too fuckered or he'll forget he's injured....or at least i did!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”