60 year old virgin burner tips

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
winglets

60 year old virgin burner tips

Post by winglets » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:19 pm

Hello,

I'm a 60 year old woman who is considering coming to Burning Man, but am concerned about coming alone. I am thinking about camping in my minivan. How do people coming alone cope with finding a place to camp, and just generally fitting in. I'd appreciate any advice that anyone has.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: 60 year old virgin burner tips

Post by Elderberry » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:33 pm

Hello winglets, welcome to eplaya.

I'm a 60 year old burner too; and you'll find there are many that are much older than us.

My suggestion would be to hang around here and get to know some people. You might discover a theme camp that you like and see if you can join with them--at least for your first time. Or maybe just make plans to meet with some other people that are going--someone that has been there before is also helpful.

I'm sure you'll hear a bunch of other suggestions/ideas too as people start to reply to your post.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

phil

Post by phil » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:40 pm

Don't just consider it, come on along! I'm 61, I'll be 62 before next year's Burn. And I'm not the oldest person there by a long shot. It would be great of all the people who came for the first time last year and had these same questions would answer, but until they do --

Don't bother with where you'll camp. If you find a group that you can camp with, fine, if not you may camp anywhere you like other than in areas reserved for theme camps. These reserved areas will be marked on your map. Just pull in some place, ask if it's okay to camp there, but ask if they'll be playing music all night - things that will bother you. If they're a nice group, park it and say. If they don't strike you as your types, thank them and move on. No big deal.

Fitting in is no problem. Burners are incredibly accepting and versatile. You'll be fine on the fitting in score. Just show up, relax, and have a good time.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:20 pm

One word of advice: earplugs. It is a much noiseier place than the pictures or websites or news articles mention.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:59 am

acid.....lots and lots of acid.

all of your other issues will seem to melt away.....literally.

i also like speed, but it sounds like your looking to relax, not build a third world country in 4 days and then knock it down and then put it back on the truck after all the fuckinghippies have had their fun and have left their garbage and ginger candy wrappers all over and spilled their patchouli on the cushions you JUST fixed and then they say "dude, like chill, you're harshing my mushroom buzz" and you're just FUCKING LIVID because you cant shoot them and your girlfriend has hidden BOTH the cattle prod and the bullhorn....

um...thread drift....so sorry....back to your burn...

stay in the mini-van, when the pink flying walruses come that accompany every dust storm, you'll be safe inside your toyota sienna.

go to the shuffleboard courts early in the week and sign up for the over 60 naked yoga classes, as well as the high fibre low impact fire twirling seminars (twirl first, spin later)

there will also be a camp of 20-25 year old men, all going by the name "Rob Camilletti" (google it) to personally deliver your bagels every morning.

have fun, we'll see you on the playa.
Frida Be You & Me

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:05 pm

Wellcome Home Winglets.

Well, there you have it, sage advice from some, and advice from others who are still trying to figure out if they actually did eat that 2nd hit of acid :lol:

Phil's advice is spot on. 08 was my first burn, and i took note of what he said whenever I could. Not to mention he has some wicked pants. :D

Read, read, read. Enjoy the comfort of that Library and dive into anything you can about the Burn. You'll find a wealth of info online, eplaya, tribe, personal websites, here's a good one:

http://www.cieux.com/bm/bmtoc.html

Read the survival guide, again, start hydrating now, read the survival guide again.
Where ya from, check out local groups, regionals, meet and greets for exp. Look at the main BM site under theme camps. You may find one that suits your fancy.

Theres a huge age range, I'm 47 and I was def. in the mid. Dont let age stop you in any way. Go! for the love of Oreo cookies, GO! :lol:

Earplugs yes, unless you plan on turning your up louder.
Shade shelter, even over the van if you plan on sleeping in it.

I could go on but I'm already rambling.........

The clock is ticking.........see ya there :D
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

hsdavis

Post by hsdavis » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:23 pm

As far as fitting in, my favorite activity is heading out in the morning in any direction and meeting people at various camp and art installations. There are a lot of people in our camp, but I love exploring on my own. I promise, you will not be lonesome if you plan on attending solo. You will most likely be invited to dinner at other camps and all your fears will be a distant memory.
The most difficult thing you will find is actually buying your ticket and getting prepared to go. Everything else is easy.
Just 10 short months and we can welcome you home!

fciron

Post by fciron » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:12 pm

2008 virgin checking in as requested.

As has already been stated, finding a spot to camp and fitting in are the easy parts.

The hard stuff:

I second hsdavis's advice to get some good shade set up. An unshaded tent or van can be an oven by 9 am, which is a lot earlier than it sounds. You will also want to have a shady spot to hang out when you need a break.

There are threads here on eplaya discussing food strategies, coolers, shade structures, and a bunch of stuff you haven't even thought of yet. Read some of them, read the survival guide and make sure that you are fully prepared to take care of your physical needs whether you are part of a theme camp or not.

Keep your eyes open for any burners in your region and try and make some friends before heading out to the playa . Even if you don't camp with them it is nice to know a few people. Regional burns are a great way to meet people and get a feel for the atmosphere of a burn.

I didn't know anyone else going to BM when I bought my ticket. By the July I was part of a theme camp and knew people from my area in two other camps.

Don't forget to bring a sharp stick for poking Simon.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:58 pm

Jump in the water's fine. I have been twice, both times solo. I've enjoyed my solo camp set up and driving, and would say to you not to worry. You'll meet your neighbors, have loads of folks to sit with and yarn, share meals with etc. Take care of the physical: shade, hydration, food, and the rest will be easy enough for you to learn and experience. Having a clean sleeping place in a van is a fine way to go. You can find out how other folks did it. There's lots of good informaiton here, and in the stories section too, tons of links, you name it. The wheel gets reinvented here every year, in copious detail, meaning you won't lack for advice or information. But don't be scared to invent your own kind of wheel as well. Look back in any year's archives for Phil's advice in any X-yr. old virgin thread, he's level headed, and practical. There is no rule against asking for some neighborly help if you get stuck on something alone.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Re: 60 year old virgin burner tips

Post by wedeliver » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:19 pm

winglets wrote:Hello,

I'm a 60 year old woman who is considering coming to Burning Man, but am concerned about coming alone. I am thinking about camping in my minivan. How do people coming alone cope with finding a place to camp, and just generally fitting in. I'd appreciate any advice that anyone has.
My cousin, She is 61, been the last 2 years stayin in VW camp. Living in her 1966 VW van. Last year she worked at Playa Info and LOVED it.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Xtevan

get a job!!

Post by Xtevan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:13 pm

Volunteer to do a shift or two of something, look on the bm website- greeter, lamplighter, info desk, help your neighbor set up, or find a theme camp that you feel you would fit into & make things happen

I am the handyman for a large camp but since most of the camp officials are usually working ranger shifts also, I usually end up greeting and finding places for folks as they show up. It really helps to keep me keep connected with people and meet a lot of folks I might have other wise missed.

There is usual a virgins tribe on Tribe that gets a lot of traffic when its up that may be useful.

Xtevan

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:38 pm

Welcome home winglets. UUUMMMMM.....Buffalo Chickens Wings. Oh, sorry I was thinking of something else.

I will be 60 next year for my third burn. I have gone alone in 07 and 08, well not really alone cause I camped with theme camps. Like hsdavis says, the hard part is getting prepared. You will be amazed at how easy it is to connect with burners.

The only thing you really need to be concerned about is getting popped with a bag of drugs.

pinemom

Post by pinemom » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:41 am

Welcome Winglets!

Honey...age is a gift! i really think as far as die hard burners go, the median is around 47?
Although I have in town friends who's dad goes every year...his first burn he was 85... he's now 93!!!!! Go figure! hahaha

Just like everyone says..read and re re re read the surival guide. Its like the Burner Bib'blee!

And ask questions if you dont quite understand something?

AND...dont take anyone here too serious when it comes to snarkiness, meany, or self ritiousnesssss'ness. They bark real loud, then jump up on you and lick you to death when they meet you in person!
slop slop slop!~

One thing I will give you....BRING a sippy cup or 5. A closed top drink cup(radical self reliance at alot of the bars..."got a cup?") But you will want to have that cup with you at all times. Dont get drinks from the guy behind the porta potty's in the dark....make sure you get your drinks either from your own bar or a BIG bar on the playa.
Dosing does happen. It can even happen at one of the big bars by a person standing close to where your drink is being poured, not by the bartenders mind you...a bar groupy usually. watch your cup anytime you have the lid off for any reason. a shame,yes.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".

winglets

Thank you!

Post by winglets » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:49 pm

Thanks for all the kind words and support. I am looking forward to my first burn and to connecting with new people and experiences. It will probably not be this year but next year, after I retire and am not tied down to my schedule. That's OK. I'll have plenty of time to plan, and there is a lot of material out there, now that I'm confident that I'm not loony for even considering this! I'll be enjoying the eplaya while I prepare!

Volunteering is a great idea, and I'll look at opportunities for that.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Re: Thank you!

Post by wedeliver » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:48 am

winglets wrote:Thanks for all the kind words and support. I am looking forward to my first burn and to connecting with new people and experiences. It will probably not be this year but next year, after I retire and am not tied down to my schedule. That's OK. I'll have plenty of time to plan, and there is a lot of material out there, now that I'm confident that I'm not loony for even considering this! I'll be enjoying the eplaya while I prepare!

This year, 2008 has allready passed, Next year 2009 tickets will go on sale in January.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Re: Thank you!

Post by Sail Man » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:21 am

wedeliver wrote:
winglets wrote:Thanks for all the kind words and support. I am looking forward to my first burn and to connecting with new people and experiences. It will probably not be this year but next year, after I retire and am not tied down to my schedule. That's OK. I'll have plenty of time to plan, and there is a lot of material out there, now that I'm confident that I'm not loony for even considering this! I'll be enjoying the eplaya while I prepare!

This year, 2008 has allready passed, Next year 2009 tickets will go on sale in January.
Careful Wedeliver, she's a virgin, we don't want to confuse her too much, too soon. There will be time for that later. Let's first make sure we got our hooks in her then we'll reel her in. :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

winglets

Post by winglets » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:37 pm

Sorry about the imprecise language..."this year" meant 2009! I guess I'm just lost in time!

kahluagal
Burning Since: 2005

Post by kahluagal » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:57 pm

that's ok, we're all a little lost in time :D

Are you near any regionals? It might be fun to find people there and find out where people are camped, so you don't feel completely alone. There's also a Stag Camp on Tribe which is made up of other people who are coming alone.

The experience is worth it - read the main BM site, read eplaya and be prepared... and have a ball. Kudos to being open to going to something new - and as the others say, 'welcome home' :D

RedheadBarbie

Shhhh!

Post by RedheadBarbie » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:21 am

If you are a party wuss like me it's great camping over by the walk in camping. I didn't walk in because I wanted to run my car from time to time to charge batteries but I still got the benefit. It was much quieter than the rest of the city and a great view. All the neighbors are super nice, no yahoos, and no all night raving. The downside is the distance from some things.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”