why do women go to burning man?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:56 pm

My wife goes because we are a very co-dependent couple and to hit dirty hippies with a stick.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.

OnceTheDustClears

Post by OnceTheDustClears » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:42 pm

To enjoy myself.
Just like the boys.
And I'm a real girl.

:enjoying playing with my edit:

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:34 am

My wife goes because we are a very co-dependent couple and to hit dirty hippies with a stick.
Us TOO!

thank god, i dont feel so alone anymore.
Frida Be You & Me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:56 am

OnceTheDustClears wrote:To enjoy myself.
Just like the boys.
And I'm a real girl.

:enjoying playing with my edit:
no fair editing the good stuff........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Powerfrau

Curious as to who is asking and why?

Post by Powerfrau » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:24 pm

It would be nice to find out who is asking why women go and what not...

I am a Flaming Lotus Girl; we made the Serpent Mother, and Mutopia. We make lots of flaming metal artwork. Lots of FLGs go to BM each year.

I'll provide a thoughtful answer off list.

Be well,
Powerfrau

edeveber

Post by edeveber » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:21 am

My answer may not be valid as this will be my first time going, but in short, I want to go to BM because it exists, and why on earth would I choose to NOT do something when I could just as easily do it?

I'm hoping that I'll meet actual people (rather than the facades that are presented by each person on a daily basis) and maybe find some reassurance that I am not the only one who feels that there is something missing in a society where self-expression is so regulated by social expectations and obligations. I want to know that there is more to humanity than the culture we have built, and to experience something real.

Many of the experiences available in everyday life are manufactured (movies, clubbing, etc) and I fear that people only believe they enjoy these things because they have been told that they should. I know that there are some people who just go to party, but there must be others who are trying to have a genuine experience and that is what I want to be a part of, whatever that entails.

SilverOrange

Post by SilverOrange » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:28 am

Why do they do anything?

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:03 am

i dont walk around naked but I think the women who can are great! I wanted to go because i love the desert, i love art, and i love like minded free thinking people. I go married so im obviously not going for sexual reasons. But once again ppl who do go for that reason are fine with me as well.
I have post playa depression :(

ourania

Post by ourania » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:27 am

I may be bringing down a shit storm of commentary as I'm new to posting here BUT, I think there's an inherent sexism in the question. Why assume that women's motivations for coming are any different from mens? Women comprise just as diverse collection of people who will certainly all have their own reasons for going.
For myself, Burning Man has been calling for a while now and this year, I can finally go. I'm looking forward to the challenge of survival, the collective opportunity to express creativity and the chance to meet people from all over who all have this one thing in common, if nothing else.

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:37 am

[quote="ourania"]I may be bringing down a shit storm of commentary as I'm new to posting here BUT, I think there's an inherent sexism in the question. Why assume that women's motivations for coming are any different from mens? Women comprise just as diverse collection of people who will certainly all have their own reasons for going.
For myself, Burning Man has been calling for a while now and this year, I can finally go. I'm looking forward to the challenge of survival, the collective opportunity to express creativity and the chance to meet people from all over who all have this one thing in common, if nothing else.[/quote]

i do agree with you....the reasons why a certain man goes will be different, just like the ladies will have different reasons. So its really about the individual. But i answered because i wanted to just voice why i went (not really speaking for an entire gender) :lol:

bx1

Post by bx1 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:55 pm

pandasex wrote:i dont walk around naked but I think the women who can are great! I wanted to go because i love the desert, i love art, and i love like minded free thinking people. I go married so im obviously not going for sexual reasons. But once again ppl who do go for that reason are fine with me as well.
Do you know "Sexual Harassment Panda"?? ...He r0x
Braden aka BX1 aka -=B=-

THE BUSH (Returning bigger and badder in 2011):

[url]http://www.placesafterdark.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=872[/url]

[img]http://www.mixmovement.com/images/gotjungle.jpg[/img]

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:03 pm

[quote="bx1"][quote="pandasex"]i dont walk around naked but I think the women who can are great! I wanted to go because i love the desert, i love art, and i love like minded free thinking people. I go married so im obviously not going for sexual reasons. But once again ppl who do go for that reason are fine with me as well.[/quote]

Do you know "Sexual Harassment Panda"?? ...He r0x[/quote]

I DO !!!! and when i am single i think that sums me up!!!! LOL

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:48 pm

pandasex wrote: I go married so im obviously not going for sexual reasons..
This is wrong on at least three levels.

I'm sorry.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:38 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"][quote="pandasex"] I go married so im obviously not going for sexual reasons..[/quote]This is wrong on at least three levels.

I'm sorry.[/quote]

I know but i cant force him into sex with ppl :)

or can i????

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:01 pm

pandasex wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
pandasex wrote: I go married so im obviously not going for sexual reasons..
This is wrong on at least three levels.

I'm sorry.

or can i????
That would be a forth wrong.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:13 am

[quote="pandasex"][quote="theCryptofishist"][quote="pandasex"] I go married so im obviously not going for sexual reasons..[/quote]This is wrong on at least three levels.

I'm sorry.[/quote]

or can i????[/quote]

that one was a joke :lol:

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:06 am

What a wonderful thought and name for a camp "Hit a dirty hippy with a stick". Any volunteers? Sorry for the thread wonder
A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

Da Mule

Post by Da Mule » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:07 am

Why doesn't anyone wonder why asses go? :cry:

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:15 am

I'd ASSume you go, because, you know everyone there is looking for a piece of you...........

BUTT, that's just me........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:43 am

A little ass would never hurt anyone. It would make me slap ass happy.
A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:47 am

Yup, nobody likes a wise-ass, but everybody likes a little piece of ass.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:50 am

SilverOrange wrote:Why do they do anything?
Let me know when you find out.

mojo

Post by mojo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:09 am

It's for the hookers and blow.

pandasex

Post by pandasex » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:33 am

asses....and hookers.....and blow

oh my 111

in all seriousness its an added bonus

Marscrumbs

Boobies

Post by Marscrumbs » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:46 pm

Boijoy wrote:I'm a female that goes to stare at the boobies. :D
AND if Sale Man is running around bottomless.. I'll stare at him too..
I like the art and other stuff too.. blah blah blah.. but mostly the BOOBIES !!
Proves my thesis. Everybody likes boobs, boys and girls alike.

I go for the art but I'm a guy.

nightingale

experience BM

Post by nightingale » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:26 pm

I have not yet been to Burning Man, but I am going because I want the experience of just doing something different. I want to experience to art, the mixing of all the different and unique people of the community. I also want to challenge myself to survive in the environment and love it and grow & evolve so to speak. Though, I have had quite a bit of survival camping, so to speak, since I am already involved with historical re-enactment of the mountain man time period. So I have had to camp with only pre-1840 supplies and skills. so the radical survival of the desert will be very much an experience. I had read many blogs so I shall see if it helps my survival.
Hope to meet many awesome people!! :D

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:09 am

Welcome! But I do have a cautionary tale, if you don't mind. Not picking on you specifically, but when I see "mountain man" camping, I get wary. and so read this with a grain of salt.

We once had a gal with mountain man rendevouz camper gear at a regional. Same type of dry lakebed. It does not ALL translate onto the playa experience. You'll likely be prepared, but do not make assumptions that all your camping experience will be useful.

For example, our person wanted to dig a trench around her tent in case it rained. Uh, no. Big mutha, she asked if we could haul her tent poles in her trailer, but failed to tell us they were fifteen feet long. Sheesh. She didn't get that she couldn't dump her greywater. We had to handle it for her. She brought coolers full of perishables, assuming we'd all want to sit and eat three large meals a day. She planned elaborate menus, but never asked any of us if we could or would eat the food she brought beforehand. I guess meals were a huge part of her previous experience, but not so much for us. But she didn't bring a stove of any kind, assuming she could just build a fire like she did at the rendevouz. Nope. And on and on, it was one miserable experience.

The moral of the story is, read the survival guide and the recommended reading on the main site and ask questions now. What seems obvious in theory and even by experience may not be how it happens on the playa.

nightingale

surviving at BM

Post by nightingale » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi AntiM,
Actually, I was only thinking of my Mountain man stuff helping, in that I have camped multiple times with no luxuries available and have had to be resourceful. I am so totally in to Leave No Trace, and that meaning includes not digging up or burning on the ground. I have read many of the blogs and chatted with friends who have gone....I do think I have a clear picture.
But most assuredly want the challenge and the community experience.
smiles.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:37 am

The people are the best ... not all of them all the time, but I can't imagine life without my very extended burner family.

Yeah, I thought you'd be on top of it... I just have to share that little story now and then to get it out of my system.

munney

Post by munney » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:42 pm

:!: I kinda resent this question as I was raised by women's and they had just won the right to do something, be = , so I guess this assumes that there are differences between men and women separate from the body parts and hormones, yet I don't believe there are, so I reiterate, I kinda resent this question :!:
:twisted:
:roll: As a Dude that Can ride a horse, :wink: I feel mighty Feministic, yet I still do act Gentelmenly & I believe that if you act cool, you're cool, and if you act lame, your're lame, and yes you Can be a dick even If you're a chick :!:
: twisted:
:arrow: Moral of the story is that if I were a depraved degenerate lacking a moral compass and clue, I would ask, "Why do You go to Burningman" :?:
:twisted:
:arrow: To answer this question, one only needs to know one thing... :arrow:

:oops: Are you Experienced :?:
Munney

"Miss the Playa Dont you?"

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”