Playa conditions for 2009?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Playa Tom

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! On topic post

Post by Playa Tom » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:08 pm

I was on the playa today, Easter Sunday.
It was a beautiful day warm with a few clouds in the sky.
Had a good dinner at Bruno's, two good slices of ham with mashed potatos, sweet potatos, asparagus and brocolli, for ten bucks.
The playa surface was a lottle soft so I did not drive very far, but at this time of year I should not have been able to drive on the playa at all. There is no standing water on the playa as there should be this time of year. There is very little snowpack in the mountains surrounding the playa and this is the end of the normal rain season so there is little hope of the playa receiving much more water. This year bring a few extra dust masks. :(

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Re: WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! On topic post

Post by oneeyeddick » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Playa Tom wrote: at this time of year I should not have been able to drive on the playa at all. There is no standing water on the playa as there should be this time of year. :(
Who told you that ?

LIARS !!!

leave your dustmasks at home this year, everyone.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:44 am

What would one (of even two) use a dust mask for on the playa¿

The storys of dust are made up from old timers to keep newbies away..

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:54 am

Playa Tom wrote:I was on the playa today, Easter Sunday.
Had a good dinner at Bruno's, two good slices of ham with mashed potatos, sweet potatos, asparagus and brocolli, for ten bucks.
The playa surface was a lottle soft so I did not drive very far, but at this time of year I should not have been able to drive on the playa at all. There is no standing water on the playa as there should be this time of year. There is very little snowpack in the mountains surrounding the playa and this is the end of the normal rain season so there is little hope of the playa receiving much more water. This year bring a few extra dust masks. :(
Bummer.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:17 am

jkisha wrote:
Bummer.

JK

See, Told you, No dust on the playa

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:36 am

BLM -- Due to unsuitable observation of playa conditions, the Black Rock Desert will be closed for the 2009 calendar year.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:39 am

Playa Tom wrote: Had a good dinner at Bruno's
He's lying, boys and girls.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ourania

Post by ourania » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:43 am

If conditions are much like last year, would it be worth bringing bikes? I'm coming from quite a distance and it would mean buying a rack for my car. Given all that I've heard about the bad biking conditions last year, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the bother.

wedeliver
Burning Since: 1998

Post by wedeliver » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:56 am

I drove 165 miles each way to Gerlach yesterday. Went to Joe's Gerlach Club, spent a couple hours talking with Gary, drove by Bruno's, went home 8 hours round trip. Nice day
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:08 am

ourania wrote:If conditions are much like last year, would it be worth bringing bikes? I'm coming from quite a distance and it would mean buying a rack for my car. Given all that I've heard about the bad biking conditions last year, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the bother.
*fishy mutters something nasty and bitter under her breath*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

ourania

Post by ourania » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:16 am

Ooooohhh, my first potentially snarky response. I feel so special. Please elaborate.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:18 am

ourania wrote:If conditions are much like last year, would it be worth bringing bikes? I'm coming from quite a distance and it would mean buying a rack for my car. Given all that I've heard about the bad biking conditions last year, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth the bother.
Even though it's tough biking on the open playa, the streets were still easily passable. I'd still bring the bikes.

JK
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ourania

Post by ourania » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:33 am

Good to know. Thanks JK. I really was hoping for some snark though. But maybe this is one of those 'be careful what you wish for little girl' scenarios...

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:41 am

ourania wrote:Ooooohhh, my first potentially snarky response. I feel so special. Please elaborate.
LOL

she doesn't have legs, so doesn't have the option of leaving wheels behind.

JK
JK

ourania

Post by ourania » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:48 am

Ok, now I totally get the nasty and bitter. I go through the same bloody thing in the ice/slush/snow with my daughter's chair. We're doing our first family beach vacation this summer and I still haven't figured out navigating the deep sand with her. I thought maybe a rickshaw type set-up would work. She'd look totally Queen of Sheba....

mojo

Post by mojo » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:10 am

ourania wrote:Ok, now I totally get the nasty and bitter. I go through the same bloody thing in the ice/slush/snow with my daughter's chair. We're doing our first family beach vacation this summer and I still haven't figured out navigating the deep sand with her. I thought maybe a rickshaw type set-up would work. She'd look totally Queen of Sheba....
Depending on where you are going, some beaches have "beach" wheelchairs with giant light tires. Check with the hotels in the area and with the city where you are going.

ourania

Post by ourania » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:57 am

Thanks for the thought mojo.
I've seen those and they are great and available in most cities and at some resorts. I didn't specify earlier that our "beach vacation" is going to consist of camping by the beach, so no resort type amenities available. I've wanted to get one but as usual, any adapted equipment is hideously expensive and I'm not sure how I'd fit it in the car. Hence my DIY rickshaw idea. I thought if I hinged the sides, I can make it collapsible.

phil

Post by phil » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:56 pm

Tom: may I post this in its entirety at
http://www.cieux.com/bm/alerts.html#playa
where it says no alerts yet for 2009?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:57 pm

You might want to invest in a pair of sand tire wheels. If she's on a chair that swaps out wheels.
The Lady with a Lamprey

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:28 pm

I was at the frogponds this weekend, The Playa was so wet I couldn't even get down to it on the paths without starting to get stuck in the mud.

There was visible standing water on the south end toward Gerlach also.

I think this will be a good year.

It is supposed to rain again this weekend.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:22 pm

Interesting how quickly things seem to change on the playa. Well, that is good news.

JK
JK

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:51 am

oneeyeddick wrote:I was at the frogponds this weekend, The Playa was so wet I couldn't even get down to it on the paths without starting to get stuck in the mud.

There was visible standing water on the south end toward Gerlach also.

I think this will be a good year.

It is supposed to rain again this weekend.
Last June when were on the playa, headed towards Frog Ponds, we turned too soon and got stuck there. Five of us were able to get the car out but I had mud to my knees. I think there is a lot of water from the springs that seeps into the playa there.

It was dusty mid playa.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:53 am

I think I'm just going to stop thinking about this and deal with whatever the conditions are when I get there!

JK
JK

ourania

Post by ourania » Tue May 19, 2009 4:16 pm

Anybody seen what the playa is like right now? The last Jack Rabbit Speaks mentioned that it seemed good and wet but I just saw a post recently, by Toolmaker that things were already dry as a bone:

"I have been hearing from numerous local sources as to the lack of hydration in the region. Expect it to be dusty, just heard this past week from 2 sources that they seem to have skipped a season and went straight to hot as fuck summer season.

Its gonna be a pain in the ass for anyone trying to use wheels without motors."

I'm not sure how to reconcile the conflicting reports. I don't know why I'm bothering to stress about it. I guess it'll be what it'll be. Que sera, sera....

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue May 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Apparently the lake gets blown around the playa floor, so it might be dry in most places wet in some.

I'm always willing to provide an explination for any phenomenen. I'm not always right.
The Lady with a Lamprey

FilXeno
Burning Since: 1995

Post by FilXeno » Wed May 20, 2009 4:03 pm

I was there this weekend, and it felt pretty dry. It was in perfect condition, but I don't know how that will change over summer.

oneeyeddick

Post by oneeyeddick » Wed May 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Dry is fine, but was it packed, or was it breaking up as you walked/drove on it ?

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:00 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:Dry is fine, but was it packed, or was it breaking up as you walked/drove on it ?
I like it when its firm, and not like walking on fortune cookies. When its like that it breaks up into dust easily.

I want Playa 2005 and 2007! those were good hard years. Was like riding bikes on an aircraft tarmac. Dust storms came, but when doesn't it get dusty?

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Wed May 20, 2009 8:09 pm

The amount of packing seems to be a big factor on dust issues. While it may rain a lil from time to time from what I've been told overall NV and the playa have been lacking in the rain dept. I'm expecting a dusty year.. the more dust the better IMO. But as mentioned.. when isn't it dusty.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

mdmf007
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Im lucky - dust doesnt seem to bother me much. What I do hate though is having to peddle with twice the poeer, to go 1/3 the speed.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”