Participant demographics

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
mabu

Participant demographics

Post by mabu » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:56 am

I'm curious if anyone has any demographics on BM attendees? What's your take on the percentage of men vs women, gays vs straights, age breakdown, liberals vs conservatives, professionals vs artists/creative types, locals vs travelers, etc? I'm sure it's all over the place but I'd be curious to hear what peoples' impression is of how the diversity is distributed...

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:47 am

My Spiderman senses are sensing a Burning Man Census quickly approaching.
A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

edeveber

Post by edeveber » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:12 am

"professionals vs artists / creative types" ?

...not sure about that one, I'm a mechanical engineer (a "professional type" I suppose). It's my job but not my life, I love sculpting, music, dance, lots of stuff. I don't think having a job makes you uncreative, though I can definitely see the draw of a less career-centred lifestyle.

mabu

Post by mabu » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:18 am

I know what you mean.. I was thinking what percentage of participants had traditional careers, verses more "fluid, transitive" living states... For example, I imagine the Rainbow Gathering has a much higher percentage of free-spirit types who don't have traditional careers, and aren't 9-to-5'ers verses BM.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:21 am

Lets not forget the ever important Mutts vs Purebread demographic category. :D
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

mabu

Post by mabu » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:24 am

Sail Man wrote:Lets not forget the ever important Mutts vs Purebread demographic category. :D
Or snarky vs non-snarky.

Speaking of that demographic, what do you guys do out on the Playa? When someone asks you if you have any water, do give them a picture of the beach instead? Inquiring minds want to know.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:28 am

How many are participants and how many are spectators?

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:40 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:How many are participants and how many are spectators?

*raise's hand*
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Barbie

Post by Barbie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:37 am

Mabu; It depends on my mood- what I do when someone asks for water...

I felt like gettin' REALLY NAsty with this guy-
while I was being part of the World Records Longest CHINESE DRAGON ( I don't know if we got the Worlds Record But we were trying!!! and they did measure US. )
Any waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy it was a last minute thing for me to join. You see, I went on the art car to go for a ride when they went and got Ice, and the Chinese Dragon People we asking for Volunteers soooooo I sent fairy wings back with my campmates and joined THe Dragon.
SO I was not really prepared I only brought a little bottle of water. We were out on the PLAYA for hoursssss...... I was trying my best to make my water last.
And this guy comes up out of NO where checking out the dragon and the hotties that were in back of me.
See's that I have water and says ' hey can I have a sip' trying to be on my most friendly Burner Behavior - I hand over my little bit of Hot water he takes it and shallows the whole bottle in one quick gulp then spits it on the playa and says 'THat was Hot' FUCKER I have never wanted to TAKE someones HEAD off sooooooo BAD on the PLAYA-
HE then wanted me to TAKE back the bottle!!!!!!!!! I told him that was the only water I had-he was gonna only take a sip- I don't know how much longer WE (THE Dragon) were going to be on the PLAYA and that he needed to take the bottle and he's charming ways and GO find me some MORE Water.... He looked at me Like I was a BITCH from HELL ( I can be a bitch from HELL ) And took the empty bottle and I never saw him again.
sooooooooo it depends on my MOOD for sure!!!

As Playa Karma Happens- a group on a cooler bike with otter pops came by and Saved Us All!!!

Another time I was in Deep Playa and this couple comes up really really thristy and asks for water and I was More then Happy to Share and we sat out in the middle of nowhere and chatted it Up Forever!! And then the Penguin came Out of the DUst to find Us and bring shave ice!!! YEA

I had a bottle of ICE WAter on Burn night one year that was A real treat to share. Everyone loved IT!!! soooooooo depends on my Mood for sure!!

Ohhhhhhh and about the Demographics- I think like any City of our size we have a little of everyone!!! THe whole deal IS Everyone that makes it to BRC at least twice- is a FrEak - no matter how old, young, rich, poor....
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:52 am

I share water if I have enough for myself out on the open playa. In camp? Sure. Unless the askee is a real ass, then no. If someone needed water to the point they were ill, I'd do my best to get them help ASAP and back to the med tent.

SpacemanSpliff

Re: Participant demographics

Post by SpacemanSpliff » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:31 pm

mabu wrote:I'm curious if anyone has any demographics on BM attendees? What's your take on the percentage of men vs women, gays vs straights, age breakdown, liberals vs conservatives, professionals vs artists/creative types, locals vs travelers, etc? I'm sure it's all over the place but I'd be curious to hear what peoples' impression is of how the diversity is distributed...
About 6 ft., black, male, wearing a black hoodie.

Or, if you prefer, a white male between the ages of 25 and 45 who has a decent job in the bay area, wearing faux fur, el-wire, and a pod belt.

(turned on the code so the quotes work.) MDMF

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:09 pm

Every year a census is taken. It's not very accurate, because there's no adjustment for those who do not participate. But it's likely to be better than random peeps on eplaya.
the main site is www.burningman.com and start poking around there.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:21 pm

and if you're super lazy:
2007 Census

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:16 am

I'm not sure what question you're really asking.
Demographics vary from homeless that work their way through the event to people with billions, newborn to many in their seventies.
Artists range from the most famous musicians and artists to people that love it all, but can never quite get what it's about, at least yet.

The only thing in common is being there.

The real answer is no one can figure out why some of us have to be there and crazier folks just can't be bothered.
You'll find you can't tell who will want to go.

I go to be around other people that have to be there.

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:41 am

Very well said, gyre!
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:41 am

gyre wrote: I go to be around other people that have to be there.

Hmmm, ya i have to say that about sums it up for me.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:33 pm

Go to http://afterburn.burningman.com/ and look for the census for each year.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:47 am

BOB!!!...

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”