Daily Planner

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
penguin
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Kidsville

Daily Planner

Post by penguin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Ok, I've been reading and researching, etc. -- and yes, I know, come with no expectations of anything and any/everything is subject to change, etc. 8)

But, from those of you who have been once or 20 times before -- what would an AVERAGE day look like? In the real world it's the get up at 6am, take shower, drink coffee, drive to work, work, eat lunch, work, drive home, eat dinner, pay bills, watch leno, sleep, etc.

I know everyone is different, but what would a typical 24-hour period of time look like on the playa (from your individual perspective)? :wink:

I think it might help us newbie-types get a handle on how to consider planning what to bring, etc.

Do you really eat 3 meals? Sleep at night/day? Make 1 or 6 trips to artica a day? Never shower or bathe every 4 hours? :shock:

I've seen bits and pieces scattered throughout the forums, but (and I'm sure I could have missed it here) I've not seen someone describe a "day" -- let alone a number of people in a row (not that I really expect a number of people in a row to actually describe a day) :)

And yes, I know the number one rule of surviving anything, expect the unexpected :D

phil

Post by phil » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:18 pm

Never plan.

Never bathe.

Never go to artica, never buy ice.

Stop planning. Just go. Have fun. Repeat.

penguin

Post by penguin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:36 pm

phil wrote:Never plan.

Never bathe.

Never go to artica, never buy ice.

Stop planning. Just go. Have fun. Repeat.
Hehe, like I said, I know what you mean :)

I'm not thinking in regards to planning when you get there -- I'm thinking more of planning before getting there -- I've got enough of a clue to know I've got no clue :D But, I've seen the number of (abeit 6 months to go still) Birgins who respond to certain posts like they just read the gospel.

I'll probably still bring way more than I "need" and probably not pack things I "want" once I get there --- but I've read a whole LOT of eplaya, which granted is a tiny portion of the people who have attended (and probably a significant portion of the people here have never attended...

I guess what I'm looking to see if people would mind sharing is something like...

I get up about 9 since it's starting to get too hot to sleep, then eat something light.... as soon as it gets dark we cook a big meal then go out and party till like 3am when it seems a lot of people go to sleep...

I've got a reason I'm asking, and it's not an evil reason :) or anything .. even if I'd been 10 times I'd still ask the same question to get a variety of responses.

Dr Dilemma
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Post by Dr Dilemma » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:39 pm

I found this handy pocket day planner / clock to be very helpful:

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:45 pm

Good foresight here, preparation is helpfull, when decision making on playa may well be impaired by heat, fatigue, and other things...

I arrive Sunday, one day early entry for being a Rockstar last year.
I take an alarm clock to get me up for work assignments on time. I make a weekly calendar to block out work schedules time blocks. In non-work sections I write in events/ parades/ art I want to participate in. The Who-What-Where they give you is a quideline and not entirely accurate(shit happens). I take time on setup day to plan general interest for the week, and write in locations in empty blocks of time, just possibilites. I wear a wristwatch and sometimes do the town cryer thing...two o'clock and all is well...

My daily routine is to boil a pot of water on my backpacking butane stove when rising for my morning coffee and BP meds. If hungry I make ramen noodles or grab some precooked bacon or sausage. Every day I put on new underwear and socks. Comb my hair, wash my face. I stick energy bars in my pockets. I put cold water in my canteens and bike bottles, I keep frozen 3 liter water bottles in my dry box (non-perishables) and pour out icecold water into my canteens. I go to work.
Off at eleven I return to homecamp for a hot meal. On the way home I get ice the second and fourth days for my Coleman icebox (perishables). I rebag ice in big ziplock bags. Soup or ravioli or stew. Sometimes sandwiches and cookies. Vitamin waters or sodas from icebox. I take a diuretic for high blood pressure so I keep an extra eye out on my fluid levels. I take a washcloth/towel bath and maybe change clothes.
After lunch, I bike to places I want to see that day. I try to find a shady spot and take a catnap in early aftrernoon when its hot. I drink all my water during the day. This year I only work evening shifts on first two days, last year I burnt myself out early in the week.
This year I'm mainly working just morning shifts Monday to Monday so I have my afternoons and evenings free. Usually the first day I bike out to the Man and the Temple. Every other day I just follow my nose, look up calendar events. I'm going to relax more this year. I usually don't eat an evening meal, just snack items, nuts, crackers, chips. A beer goes great with cheeze and salami bites. I usually retire early about 10 or 11pm, got to get up at 6:30 am. Do it all again...my schedule is really not much different than default world.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:11 am

Our little camp inside Hushville varies in number, but four minimum and about a dozen max. I think we have six this year.

We have me and mylarry, a couple rangers and assorted drifters. I don't think we've EVER had a big meal when the entire camp was present. we have a small efficiency kitchen wit h a lot of simple foods, many grab and go items. None of us sleep at the same time, so the interior shade area stays quiet and low-key most of the time so we don't disturb each other. I see less of my friends on the playa than at home. We gave up on a camp shower set-up, too many showerers and not enough worker-bees to maintain it.

I naturally wake up early, as in dawn. MyLarry and I more daytime burners, I burn out early in the evening. Although I do wake up at three ayem and drag him out of the tent. I probably miss out on all kinds of stuff, but the dawn playa is pretty interesting too.

We do carve out time for some events, plus we work burn night.

Timezone LaFontaine
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by Timezone LaFontaine » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:18 am

I usually wake up around 8 am... my tent becomes an oven soon after that time, plus I usually have to use the bathroom, so between those factors, oversleeping never seems to be a problem. I do eat 3 meals a day, although breakfast is the lightest... usually granola in milk and yogurt, and coffee. I get my coffee and go seek out some kind of public place where I can meet someone random and have a bit of conversation, and just enjoy a relaxing morning.

Then I wander around for a while and come back to camp for lunch, which is usually a sandwich and chips. Afternoons are trickier. I want to stay out all day and go exploring, but I try to make myself siesta a bit, if possible, so I can be charged up for the eveningtime.

Anyhow, when noticing the sun at a certain position in the sky, I know it's time to head over to the Lamplighters and sign up for a job. That usually takes us right into dusk and then you can just feel the city starting to come alive, everyone beginning to stir from their afternoon rest.

Dinner is my biggest meal, and usually the only one that's cooked. After dinner I take my time and get into more elaborate outfits, and make sure I have everything on me that I'm going to need for the night so I can wander way out and not have to return to camp. Nighttime also has some tricky aspects because it can get freakin cold, so you want to bundle up. But if you end up dancing for hours, you are going to overheat and then have to strip off and set aside layers of clothes that you have to kind of keep an eye on so they don't get lost in the shuffle. Anyhow, I never really check the time but I think I usually turn in around 4 in the morning so I can get a few good hours of sleep before the sun gets back to cooking temperature.

Just over the course of time I've learned things like, I don't like carrying a backpack of stuff around with me... even if it's light at first it eventually gets annoying and uncomfortable, either because it's daytime and it's making my back sweat or it's just making my shoulders ache or something. So figuring out what's only the most essential stuff to carry around, and carrying it in multiple pockets works best for me. Usually for me: a bag with a mixture of nuts, veggie jerkey, dried mangos and apples; my smokes and ash tin; dust mask and goggles; and water with Emergen-C or Gatorade mixed in. At other times I am also packing a few small gifts.

One of the things I love about the whole event is that it lasts a whoooole week. So if you are dog tired one night, you can just turn in early and be totally refreshed the next day and you don't have to feel bad because you've missed everything. There is no way you can do everything, but you will have a much better time if you are well-rested along the way. I often see people who go full-bore all week and then crash out hard (sometimes for days) and miss the things they wanted to do later on. Listen to your body. (Your body has to have veto power over your id, at least part of the time!) Rest up along the way and you'll experience more.

ourania

Post by ourania » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:02 pm

Thank you Penguin for posting this question and to everyone for the great responses. I'm a bit of a planner myself (maybe a residual effect of a past career in event planning!) and hearing how people "schedule" their days is really helpful. I'm definitely not trying to map everything out as that's clearly not possible or desirable at BM, but the feedback is great nonetheless. This will be my first year and I already find myself thinking about the playa every single day. I can't wait.

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:56 pm

There is very little order to my day out there. I noticed one important aspect lacking in some of the other posts, so thought I would chime in.

When I wake up in the early morning hours cuz my bladder is full, it's CRAZY cold. The last thing I want to do is get out of the sleeping bag, put on the shoes and trudge out to the porta potties. So I pop out my feminal and get to work with no dripping problems. I bring a couple extra covers (not visible in the photo) in case I lose one. It also works great if stuck in the car not moving during exodus.

That's about the only constant from one day to the next. That and "wipe-baths". I bring special wipes for the girly regions and lots of normal ones for the rest of me. Before I go to sleep, or whenever I feel particularly grubby, I come into the tent and do a wipedown. Ahhh. I usually follow that with a neti-pot or nasal rinse, which feels oh-so-good in the super-dry sinuses.

The rest of my day is pretty random. I wander around, when I feel tired, take a break in the nearest camp. I've napped or meditated on couches of unknown people, and it's all cool.

Like others have mentioned, the backpack (and camelback) weren't as convenient as I thought they would be. They can feel heavy and hot on your back in the day and you have to keep track of them. Those little clippy things that let you clip stuff to your clothes ROCK. I also use them to clip stuff to my bike basket. I NEVER leave camp without chapstick, water and a couple light snacks (energy bar or something).

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:18 pm

We use a bucket with a toilet seat lid and a garden sprayer to refresh the girly bits.

Mornings tend to be consumed with mundane camp chores: ice, tidy up, make sure the bike is doing what it should, tend the Home for Wayward Art.

StarShineScars

Post by StarShineScars » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:49 pm

The posts here are really helpful. I've got to say is that I agree with OldGuy and Phil. I planned a lot last year and was really excited to go to workshops and stuff. 95% either weren't happening, weren't where they said they were, or no one knew what we were talking about when we got there. It turned out to be frustrating and a lot of energy lost biking in the sand in the heat.

So I would say just go with the flow when you get out there, see what's happening around you and ask around. If possible sleep during the days and get up in the late afternoon/early evening. I cook all of our meals ahead of time, vacuum seal them and then just put them in a pot of boiling water. It makes cooking WAY simple and time efficient. Plus we bring lots of dry snacks to munch on throughout the day. The basket on our bike has helped a lot to carry water and munchies. Just enjoy yourself and be free... heck one of the only places left where you can just do whatever whenever for a week.
If God had intended us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller-skates. -Willy Wonka

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:01 pm

StarShineScars wrote:... Just enjoy yourself and be free... heck one of the only places left where you can just do whatever whenever for a week.
YES!! That is a Quote of the Day!! Maybe the Year :D
And is a huge part of the magic that draws me back each year. Thanks for putting it in words :D

Last year I made a special effort to roam the outer streets mid-mornings to noonish. My best day started off with pancakes at the Playhouse, then found some awesome camp making fruit um...those French roll-up thingys? (edit to add 'crepes!') anyways they were great, way out on some H street area, random drinks and tidbits, neato hidden artsy stuff, lots of great people to chat with. All away from the inner circle stuff. Did it barefoot and (nearly) naked with my furry leggings and cap on :P Wandering is good, just bring water and back-up snacks along. A small decorated canvas tote with handles works to haul the kit of playa essentials along in, no backpack for me either!
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

mrs yow

Post by mrs yow » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:28 pm

I think for your first year you might want to concentrate on meeting your needs. Shelter, proper hydration, sunscreen, and food are pretty universal. If you have medical issues, be sure to be prepared for those. Goggles and baby wipes are good if a bit of comfort is important to you. If you need coffee to get going in the morning, chafe easily when sweaty, don't feel right dropping off to sleep without a belt of Jack Daniels, need your daily dose of the Bulgarian Women's Choir, etc. then take appropriate action.
It is certainly possible to plan your time at Burning Man, but I imagine it is rarely successful. It seems a bit like traveling to a foreign country, and then trying to live like you do at home. Show up with what you think you need (you will guess wrong on a bunch of stuff, but if it is vital the community will come through) and see what happens. It won't be anything that you could have guessed.
Semi-interesting side note: Last year was my 5th burn, and the first time that I managed to get to an event that I was interested in, AND the event actually occurred.

penguin

Post by penguin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:40 pm

mrs yow wrote:It is certainly possible to plan your time at Burning Man, but I imagine it is rarely successful. It seems a bit like traveling to a foreign country, and then trying to live like you do at home. Show up with what you think you need (you will guess wrong on a bunch of stuff, but if it is vital the community will come through) and see what happens. It won't be anything that you could have guessed.
Thank you. You've sort of hit on the head why I asked the question :) From reading the forums here I think one can get the idea that it's not going to be anything like it is at home. However, when taking a "normal" vacation one will asks friends or family that have been to a particular (or similar) place before what they should expect (the museums close at five, the bars close at 1am, get to the beach before noon if you want a good spot, don't worry about resevations for dinner, everyone wears shorts to the churchs, if you rent a car rush hour is from 6-8, etc). Now, unless one happens to know a friend or family member who is a burner it's kinda hard to ask that question here in the default world and to expect a reasonable answer. :)

So what does one do, they ask questions here on ePlaya -- however, I hadn't seen what someone sees as a typical day -- there's tons of good information here -- and I'm not suggesting that any day on the playa is typical -- but if I try and compile a list of what to bring based on all of what I read people say one should bring I'd need six or seven semi-trailers :cry: Also, the info provided in the preparation sections of the BM web are good, but don't lend much help in terms of how much of what to bring, or even really why you're supposed to bring it.

If people were to sort of describe a "day in the life" then maybe others could get a feeling for how they should plan on packing -- not what to expect, but what to bring. But, that's the official reason why I asked the question (and I think the answers might/would be useful to people (including me on trying to decide how much of what to bring)) -- the unofficial reason I asked is I have an idea for a simple project (which I refuse to call art, at least not yet) that relates to the transformation one must under go to move from the "default" world to the "playa" world -- sort of evolution in an hour type of thing -- but I don't have much information on what a day is like on the playa (from multiple peoples viewpoints) so I can make a composite of the "typical" playa day.
mrs yow wrote:need your daily dose of the Bulgarian Women's Choir
For some odd reason you've now got my mind trying to imagine them performing out on the playa -- I remember when I saw them at the Kennedy Center, and for some reason I think the show would actually work in the middle of the desert, strang :roll:
StarShineScars wrote:The posts here are really helpful. I've got to say is that I agree with OldGuy and Phil. I planned a lot last year and was really excited to go to workshops and stuff. 95% either weren't happening, weren't where they said they were, or no one knew what we were talking about when we got there. It turned out to be frustrating and a lot of energy lost biking in the sand in the heat.
Oh, I'm agreeing with everyone about not planning what's going to happen once you get there. Actually strike that, I think you should plan on it being darker sometimes than others (that whole sun up, sun down thing is most likely going to occur), but beyond that, who knows :wink:

Old Guy and Timezone LaFontaine, thanks much (well thanks to everyone so far, and into the future), but that's sort of what I was looking for in terms of information!

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:02 am

Typical day (non work)

0700 - arise (skip to 0900 if it was a hard night before)
0710 - roll out of tent and pee in JOTS
0720 - drink some juice eat some bacon and BS with campmates
0730 - collapse in cushy chair and wrap in blanket - continue BSing with campmates
0830 - look at daily planner and see whats coming up for the day
0845 - shower and get dressed in clean clothes
0900 - go on bike ride and checkout some of the sites, continue to center camp and check on anything thats going on.
1200 - ish eat some lunch
1400 - ish first drink of day and hang out with the camp mates, clean up a little
1600 - go check out the sights some more,
1800 - go back to camp and eat - clean up camp a little.
2000 - prepare to go out
2100 - go out on the town
02-0400 wander back in to camp and crash

of course the only static items are lunch and the peeing. Locations for either are subject to change.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:31 am

ok penquin. List of minimum supplies to last a week in desert with 100+ days, freezing nights: A. drinking water 7 gallons ( can be beer, sodas, bottled vitamin water, pudding, icecream, jello, etc... wash water is extra, you have to pack out or evaporate graywater( You can buy ice at Centercamp, Tokyo, and Berlin: but don't count on it for drinking water.), B. sleeping bag or blankets, C. Tent, or place to put your stuff ( there are theives among us.), D. shade structure ( can be as complex as a dome, portable garage or as simple as an umbrella or tarp.), E. Lights for night ( flashlight, blinkies, rotating barge beacon... you get the idea, don't be a darkwad at night., F. Food will fight fatigue, bring what you like to last a week. I confess I always bring too much. I don't like sponging off of others., G. Something to sit on ( a box, a chair, a rug, a couch) You dont want to be squatting on the alkali dust all week., H. Clothing and footwear to protect you from the sun and alkali and bomb fragments ( BRC used to be a bombing range), ( long sleeves, pants, a hat, hardsole shoes cover your bits and pieces) you can go naked at night for all I care or at daytime for that matter. Just don't come whining to me that you are sunburned or you cut your foot on rebar. I. Transport; a bike, unicycle, or mutant vehicle will get you around easier than walking. J. First aid kit for your sunburn and your cut feet.

ok the minimum list
A. Water
B. Sleeping bag
C. Tent
D. Shade
E. Lights
F. Food
G. Seating
H. Clothing
I. Transport
J. First Aid Kit
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

phil

Post by phil » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:36 am

> If people were to sort of describe a "day in the life" then maybe
> others could get a feeling for how they should plan on packing
> -- not what to expect, but what to bring.

You're morphing your question.

There is no "day in the life." There is no "typical day." There is no "normal vacation." Asking _that_ question is meaningless because Burning Man is what _you_ make it. Not me, not StarShineScars, not Mrs. Yow, not Tiahaar. You can't find that out till you get there and make Burning Man your own. Burning Man works for all of us because each of us brings what we want to Burning Man and because each of us finds what he or she is looking for. Since only you know what you're looking for (maybe you don't know, but still you'll find it), only you can have your particular Burning Man.

If all you really want to know is what things to pack, there are lists galore. Start here:
http://www.cieux.com/bm/things.html
and follow the links at the bottom to other lists of things to pack.

Then bring what you want and find what you're looking for.

penguin

Post by penguin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:13 pm

phil wrote:You're morphing your question... There is no "day in the life." There is no "typical day." There is no "normal vacation." Asking _that_ question is meaningless because Burning Man is what _you_ make it.
I do understand what you're saying about "what _you_ make it" and the lack of "typical". But I also don't think I was morphing my question (at least not on purpose).

Every day anywhere is unique. However there is always a "statisical average" day for any place, person, time, etc. I don't believe that a day on the playa is statistically the same (on average) as any day in the "default" world.

I also realize that a) the number of people who here on eplaya is a small percentage of the people who've been to BM; and b) the number of people who might anser my question is even smaller -- but it's a sampling all the same.

I have this idea on doing something on the transformation from "homo defaultia" to "homo playan" -- I can get all of the information anyone would want on the default world -- however, that information for the playa world is quite limited in terms of what people do with their day. I can see by reading here (and other places) what there is to do -- but how do people go about doing it?

Where you may see I'm morphing my question is when I stopped to think about how to ask the question I saw that maybe new people could plan on what they need if they had some idea of what people actually spend time doing each day -- Now, I know you'll say everyone does what they want to do -- which is fine -- but is there some underlying pattern? Maybe I should have left the "people could plan" part off, maybe that's making this too complicated or something. Or maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut :lol: or better yet just written a questionaire:

What time do you get up, do you shower, how many times do you eat, how long do you sleep, etc -- but I wasn't looking to make this scientific or anything, just try to get a sense of how people change their lives (or rather what the "typical" day is while on the playa -- not for my personal planning purposes but for something creative running around inside my little ole head :)

Imagine if you will the life of someone in the 1600's and then the 1800's then the 1950's then today, then move them to an environment like BM (temporary shelters, self-sufficiency, LNT, gifting, free-expression, compact city, etc., etc., etc. -- like I said I have this idea, but I've got a block when I try to envision "a day in the life of the ""average"" person" on the playa.

Does that make any more sense, or are you all now convinced I'm off my rocker? :oops: :roll:

phil

Post by phil » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:11 pm

> Or maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut

You get to ask any question you like and make any comment.

> Does that make any more sense

It doesn't, and you'll find out why when you get there.

Again, you get to ask whatever you like, and you'll get answers, whether or not you like the answers you get. Whatever it takes to get Burning Man concepts running around in your head, the answers you get here will be irrelevant when you get out there. There is no way to describe what it will be like for you, and whatever concepts you have now will be wrong when you get there.

But you have to find that out for yourself, so no problem. Go for it.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:22 pm

:D
Sounds like Penguin has a good idea about "daily schedules" now. So let me try a new tack and see if this might be useful. It's just one example of the many little things that work well.

When I leave camp for the JOTS (porta-potties), I take a new roll of TP with me. And I leave it in the JOTS, whether it was desperately needed in that unit or not. It will be needed sooner or later. Costs next to nothing; helps everybody.

While my mind is in the sewer, lots of folks pee in a jug during the night, and it is normal and totally unremarkable to carry these jugs to the JOTS for emptying. No embarrassment.

Just two tiny slices of life in BRC -- things you might never anticipate.

penguin

Post by penguin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:36 pm

phil wrote: There is no way to describe what it will be like for you, and whatever concepts you have now will be wrong when you get there.
Hehe, I think that's maybe where I'm mis-communicating what I'm looking for -- I don't want to know what it will be like for me -- I want to know what it's like for you -- I'm trying to "build" an average playan -- now no one here is going to be average (especially not me), nor do I wish to be average . And yes, I do understand that the one thing all burners have in common is that they go to BM (be it physically, mentally, spirtitually (or some combination)), other than they all bets are off :) -- but somewhere is an -average- in height, weight, amount of sleep, number cars in the garage (um, mean bicycles), etc.

Elliot gets it (I think) :) -- if I carried rolls of TP around with me and left them in restrooms in Chicago I'd be considered a bit strange -- on the playa I'd be considered a nice person :) or walking around Times Square with a pee bottle -- I'd probably get arrested or something :roll: (now where that may help people in general -- maybe they didn't think they'd have to carry their pee bottle in public so they'll quickly get out the yarm and knit a pee cozy for theirs *shrug*

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:15 pm

Well, I fear you will not get a good sampling of burners here on ePlaya. I suspect you will get a sampling of the relatively few burners who are active on ePlaya.

But if that's still useful for your mysterious project, then my schedule is a lot like Mdmf007, except that I usually turn in two or three hours earlier -- Midnight-ish. And I sometimes take a ride on one of my pedal vehicles soon after the sun comes up. And since you ask about bicycles "in the garage", I bring ten to 20 bicycles as loaners for camp members and others.

I try to see all the art, but I skip most of the dancing. I like riding my big tricycle around the streets to meet people in a laid-back setting, and to see their camp art.

My own art is the several large pedal vehicles, and my contribution to Playa society is primarily repairing bicycles.

I like to wear goggles when the dust kicks up, but I can breathe just fine even in a whiteout.

The best hydration seems to be a mix of water and Gatorade. Beer over ice works nicely in the afternoon heat -- a bit of beer flavor but not much alcohol.

I look up interesting camps and event in the directory early in the week, but seldom think to follow up in time.

That help any?

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:32 pm

penguin wrote:maybe they didn't think they'd have to carry their pee bottle in public so they'll quickly get out the yarm and knit a pee cozy for theirs *shrug*
Now there's an interesting idea for what to bring for gifts on the playa! :)

And there is no such thing as an 'average playan'.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:45 pm

I don't really have a daily planner, but, a weekly one there for me is:

Arrive

Not sure, blurry, fun, excitement

Leave
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

sunn

Post by sunn » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:53 pm

My schedule, give or take considering I never know what time it is, playa time, and every day I may change my mind:

Dawn to 07: Wake up early, go to JOTS, cook hot breakfast usually. (Once in great while go to Playa pancakes)
Morning: Do some camp chores. Fill water bottles for day. Rotate ice bottles. Apply sunscreen.
Pack bag for bike: Trail mix, water bottle, camera, mask, lip balm, hat
Go on a.m. ride to Center camp. Hang out at Center Camp for a few hours.
Back at camp by afternoon. Rest or read or chat in shade. Light lunch.
P.M. Bike ride out to playa to see art, or to other camps/activities...but usually intend to more than do. Back home to mix drinks for bar. (Take turns going to Artica for ice.)
4-6 Do Happy Hour at our bar.
7ish Dinner: Usually biggest meal of day. Shower. (Sometimes 2x day)
Get ready to go out and play.
Bedtime (varies intensely on playa) Wash feet every night, apply foot cream. (I have the same one I bring every year. Perfect for playa dust)

Playa Tom

A Day in the Life on the Playa

Post by Playa Tom » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:27 pm

Every year around July a Burning Man Schedule of Events is posted on their web site. Every year I carefully go over the list of events noting the ones that seem interesting. Every year I write down a list of things to go to on a daily schedule. Every year I sack the schedule and just wander about aimlessly. Every year I have a really good time.

Daddy-O

Post by Daddy-O » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:39 am

Having sex happens for some and it is usually not planned. May want to pack some condoms and bring some bacon. There is nothing like having bacon after sex. :lol:
A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

Lord Of Ruin
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:27 pm

It may skew your results a bit, but you seem intent on including the variable so here goes:

7 am - wake up, potty and light breakfast at commissary
8 am - noonish - work office for checkin and answer volunteer questions,etc
Noon- - lunch at commissary

Noon 6 pm - Work shift
6-7:3- cleanup, dinner and cocktails
8 pm - late fun with friends and camps OR late shift working.

For me, the work shifts volunteering on playa dominate my schedule and most of my food is eaten at commissary so I must make those hours for meals.

In general, I work 6-12 hours per day while out there.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

Token

Post by Token » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:06 pm

Night turns to day.

I wake up.

Stumble out, grab hat, jump into slippers and bee-line to the JOTS.
Read the nights worth of graffiti and posters in the JOTS. Laugh.
Exit the JOTS ... Did I have pants when I came in ??? ... Realize that I stumbled across the playa to the JOTS buck nekid with morning wood ... oh well.

Back to camp.

Cover loins in mini-skirt (this is anticipation of the imminent morning glory) . Fire up some espresso. Take meds. Pick rocks out of my nose; cringe at all the nose hairs that come with it. Fuck, bloody nose ... rinse with saline. Drink coffee. Wait for JOTS service if needed.

Morning Glory. I'll spare you the details.

Back to camp. Apply soothing baby wipes to sore ass ravaged by the sandpaper they provide in the JOTS. Wash feet and special bits. Fresh socks, boots n kilt/sarong to taste. Spray on sunscreen.

Drink a shot of whiskey.

Drink a strong Ale.

Drink a light beer - Stay hydrated.

Snack on foods I would never eat off playa - smoked oysters, herring, whole jar of pickles in a sitting etc

Repeat as needed during wild playa activities.

Back to camp sometimes around: " Darn, I'm hungry" O'clock. Grill large slab of meat and consume in savage way.

Nap.

Apply soothing baby wipes to sore ass ravaged by the seat on the bike. Wash feet and special bits. Fresh socks, boots n kilt/pants to taste. Burn old socks.

Drink a shot of whiskey.

Drink a strong Ale.

Drink a light beer - Stay hydrated.

Party.

At about "Fuck, I'm exhausted" O'clock. Stumble back to camp.

Zzzzzz

Repeat.

mzfit

Post by mzfit » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:44 am

Last year was my first year. I own an RV and drove that down from Idaho - why not if I already have it right? My morning would start between 10 and 11. I would get up and put on my leopard print silk robe and walk around camp - talk to people and see what their night was like. Most often I would do this with some large fruity alchoholic beverage in hand. Then I would get dressed and refill my backpacks and then go out for a few hours with someone from camp. We would return in the afternoon and gather those around and head into the RV - turn on the generator for an hour or two and chill inside during that afternoon heat - shots, smoke, just hanging out! Then make up some food for dinner and head back out to see where the night took me! May need to make a way back to camp for minor pit stop between 11 and 1 - but then back out.

One of the things I did that I was very pleased with was to have 2 backpacks. One was a smaller and lighter camelbak for the daytime. It contained goggles, dust mask, snacks, first aid and 100 oz of water. The night time backpack was a larger snowboarding backpack that I have. It contained an exact duplicate of those items and also a small jacket and pair of pants. I would also throw extra bottles of water into the larger pack - in case of being out a long time - or to share with friends as needed. Sometimes I would take a fifth of liquor or wine to share with the group I was going out with. I never minded the weight of the backpack and it didn't keep me from anything - but I was VERY glad to have the variety of things on a regular basis. I pulled out that backpack for a hot springs trip in November and it still had an empty bottle of wine in it from burn night!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”