gifting?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Minxy

Post by Minxy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:07 pm

I'm not big on schwag myself, but I know some friends that are serious schwag collectors. :P

I vote for the lending-a-hand idea as a gift or something else non-MOOPish.

I'm a massage therapist and I gift massage frequently, just as an idea. Easy and generally appreciated and I don't have to carry anything extra! :D

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:16 pm

I have to say that when your partner is evacuated off playa and ends up in Washoe Med access to a sat phone is a modern wonder.
Otherwise, I don't really need the outside world.
I'm sure that in 05 a lot of Louisiana/Alabama burners wanted to know that family, ect., were okay. They have legitemate uses. I like it being sat phone only, something with a little more oomph than a cell phone.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:17 pm

I'm a massage therapist and I gift massage frequently
stay the fuck away from me....i have a 30" zone of personal space, i dont hug, dont kiss, am never nude, just keep your fucking distance new age freak...M'Kay?

well, actually one of my sons, the 24 yr old might be coming with me this year and it's in my best interest if his mom does NOT get a call home. the hell that would follow is unthinkable.
Frida Be You & Me

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:30 pm

Minxy wrote:I'm not big on schwag myself, but I know some friends that are serious schwag collectors. :P

I vote for the lending-a-hand idea as a gift or something else non-MOOPish.

I'm a massage therapist and I gift massage frequently, just as an idea. Easy and generally appreciated and I don't have to carry anything extra! :D
I hope I pass by you!

I love it when someone is kind enough to "gift" me something. It is encouraging to me (in a small, Southern, boring, art-less, fun-less town) the rest of the year.

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:29 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:..i have a 30" zone of personal space, i dont hug, dont kiss, am never nude, just keep your fucking distance new age freak...M'Kay?

Huh, I'd bet that most burners, self included, fell the opposite on these
points. :shock:

Naked is good. :P

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:41 am

skibear wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:..i have a 30" zone of personal space, i dont hug, dont kiss, am never nude, just keep your fucking distance new age freak...M'Kay?

Huh, I'd bet that most burners, self included, fell the opposite on these
points. :shock:

Naked is good. :P
are you new skibear? ....freak
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

jcliff
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Post by jcliff » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:07 pm

The best physical gift I got last year was a small Burning Man pin that I added to my bag (it's still on there.) I agree with others that said the random acts of kindness were truly appreciated. I received many trinkets and knick-knacks that are sadly in a landfill now. Unless you are going to give something truly special (and related to BRC,) I'd focus on doing something nice for someone.

This year I'm going to bring some empty Altoid tins to give to smokers that don't have an ashtray, some crystallized ginger for a sweet treat, and a couple cans of Neutrogena Fresh Cooling Sun Block to share with the sun-baked and overheated (it's 45 spf and it cools the body.)

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:47 pm

jcliff wrote: I received many trinkets and knick-knacks that are sadly in a landfill now.
Both elementary schools and nursing homes might have been able to use those as art supplies. Of course, I'm lucky enough to live near a great "art supply thrift store."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:09 pm

i like to hand out rare and exotic books that are worth quite alot of money if you sell them, but worth MUCH more if you dont.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:11 am

[quote="Simon of the Playa"]

stay the fuck away from me....i have a 30" zone of personal space, i dont hug, dont kiss, am never nude, just keep your fucking distance new age freak...M'Kay?
[/quote]

:D

I'll bring my super duper long-distance massaging device and chase you around the playa. Maybe a creepy monster hand on a long mechanical arm of 30". You'll have nightmares of the creepy massage hand from the underworld! Sweet! :D Maybe I can hook up some haunted house sounds to it or something...hrm.

I see a restraining order in my future.. :D

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:35 am

I have received schwag and trinkets I did not care for, or liked at the time and now they're anchors. It all gets recycled into art. Or regifted, LOL.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:05 am

AntiM wrote: Or regifted, LOL.
Re-gifting swap meet! Noon Thursday, at my camp! I'll fly it by others to see if I can.
The Lady with a Lamprey

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:30 am

I like it!

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:40 am

Critical Dicks is Noon, on thursday.

I digress...........
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:51 am

Whoops. I'll have to find something better.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:41 pm

Bounce530 wrote:Not falling for that one again...lemonaide sno-cone, my ass!!
lol I actually laughed out loud when I read that. :lol:

Anyways I wouldn't be too worried about what to gift your first time out there. You will see how it is when you get there, because most likely whatever you think its all about, it isn't. And whatever you think it isn't, it probably is. But simple things like picking up moop, or like Playa Tom said "a smile and a good attitude" really will get you far, and make you feel good about yourself. Everything else falls in place.
-AJ )'(

feelfree

Post by feelfree » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:35 pm

I'm a first timer and was thinking of making some simple stickers that say You Are Beautiful with the Burning Man logo. I figure it wouldn't be an annoying thing to receive, and if you don't like it it's easy enough to take it off, crumble it up and put it in your pocket. What do you all think?

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:41 pm

love it! bring 'em by DOTA...Esplanade & ?...we're all beautiful and full of love....

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:57 am

Full of love eh? Don't stand in the line of fire... I know what happens to those who stand in the line of fire when I'm full of love...

Skeet skeet anyone? :shock:
-AJ )'(

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:57 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Re-gifting swap meet! Noon Thursday, at my camp! I'll fly it by others to see if I can.
Terminal City at 2 to 3:30. Be there or have corners.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:01 pm

feelfree wrote:I'm a first timer and was thinking of making some simple stickers that say You Are Beautiful with the Burning Man logo. I figure it wouldn't be an annoying thing to receive, and if you don't like it it's easy enough to take it off, crumble it up and put it in your pocket. What do you all think?
Okay, I'm going to preface this by awknowledging that I"m a middle-aged curmudgeon with a bad attitude. It would remind me off all that seventies happy talk self-esteem boosting stuff.

However. Don't let middle-aged curmudgeons spoil your fun. It only encourages them. If this comes from your heart, then it's good. The one thing is the moop (material out of place--free floating garbage) issue. The backing and the torn off stickers. Go up and ask "can I put this sticker on you?" (and if you're wanting to put it on someone's ass be very specific and say "can I put this on your ass?") Then they have the opportunity to accept and to choose where they might want it. Plus you have a nice little ice-breaking conversation.
The Lady with a Lamprey

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:06 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Terminal City at 2 to 3:30. Be there or have corners.
i am so writing this down.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”