air mattresses

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
geminiRanger

air mattresses

Postby geminiRanger » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:36 am

So I wonder - are some better than others? I wonder that, by leaving it in a tent all day, perhaps the heat would cause the gases to expand and perhaps spring leaks. Or perhaps something else would happen to it.

Are there any air mattresses people recommend?

BitterDan

Postby BitterDan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:44 am

I've used a coleman twin size for years and never had any problems with it. On the playa I prefer a cot and pad as air mattresses tend to be like sleeping on a hot tub cover.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:44 am

Your better off with foam! Don't have sex or the Air Mattresses or you'll sleep on the ground the rest of the week... If you do go with an air mattresses be prepared to blow it up every couple of days or more.
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!

geminiRanger

Postby geminiRanger » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:55 am

Hey the cot is an interesting idea, so is the foam -- do you guys have any more info on products I could read up on?

flatlander13

Postby flatlander13 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:04 pm

I too use the Colman twin size…….but I put a blanket between myself and the mattress. I use the rechargeable Colman Quick Pump……Pump it up just before bed and I’m good…….that is until BitterDan shows up and tosses me out of his tent………..

Fire_Moose

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Barbie wrote:Don't have sex or the Air Mattresses or you'll sleep on the ground the rest of the week...

Is THAT why mine deflates after about an hour and a half? Son ova bitch. I just recently got one of those self inflating foam pads, rolls up, it's great. I got sick of sleeping on the air mattress that deflates...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

sambojones

Postby sambojones » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:28 pm

I got myself an aerobed queen size air matress its the double stacked kind that isn't super low to the ground and it has an inflatable head board as well. It has a built in pump and has a knob for adjusting air pressure on the side so you can get exactly the right comfort level. I tested it out by sleeping on it for a week at home instead of my regular bed and it's super comfortable and didn't lose any air. I read a ton of reviews before purchasing my bed and from what I read everywhere the aerobed brand makes the best most comfortable air matresses. I also bought mine from costco so it has 100% satisfaction guarantee in case it craps out. :wink:
does this water taste like raspberries or am I still fucked up...oh wait it's raspberry flavored water

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:36 pm

I recently switched from the good ol' Coleman to one with a built in pump, and I LOVES it.

No more dealing with that pump and nozzle attachments, just press the button and voila. I have a twin and a queen.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:54 pm

Barbie wrote:Your better off with foam! Don't have sex or the Air Mattresses or you'll sleep on the ground the rest of the week... If you do go with an air mattresses be prepared to blow it up every couple of days or more.

Are you so sharp that you poke holes in the cushion? Wear a kevlar condom like I do!

Real burners do it at the trash fence.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:24 pm

If you have an air mattress, you'll blow it up every night to retain any sort of firmness.

*Insert joke about blowing and firmness.*

geminiRanger

Postby geminiRanger » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:04 pm

hrm. I was going to say - i've brought air matresses before, they had lots of problems (i.e. wake up a couple hours later... on ground). But it was a cheapo. The cot sounds like a good idea, but looks like it might make it difficult to cuddle (And hey, a guy can hope).

And the foam, what foam?

those aero beds look pretty good though and its good to know you can buy them at costco

Absolut Jeenyus

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:22 pm

I got a big Coleman one with a built in pump. Works great. Ive had to pump it up maybe twice throughout the whole week. Sex hasn't been a problem on it thus far... :mrgreen:
-AJ )'(

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Barbie wrote:Your better off with foam! Don't have sex or the Air Mattresses or you'll sleep on the ground the rest of the week...

I'd be very grateful to have sex on my air mattress, even if it did spring a leak...
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:00 pm

OKay Then But YOu have all been Fore Warned!! FUCK On THE GROUND sleep On the Air Mattress LOL soooooo when your sleeping on the cold hard playa- OR fucked up and want to get into bed but your trying to figure out how to use the damm pump - never to be found or figured out Soo ya just pass out on the nice hard playa anyway .... Think of me on my nice foam! LOLOL :twisted: :twisted: :twisted :twisted:

Ohhhh and wear your shoes...

dragonpilot

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:24 pm

Barbie wrote:FUCK On THE GROUND...

You miss my point...I'd be grateful to have sex ANYWHERE! (It's been a loooong time, I'm sorry to admit). And if I WAS to get lucky, I'll start on the air mattress, thank you. I make love about as rough as turning over in bed (maybe that's the problem right there), so unless yer a wild filly bucking bronco with spurs on, I'll takes me chances. If she pops, I've got a backup...the RV!

And what a great story..."There I was bangin' away like there was no tomorrow, and BLAM! The frickin' mattress blew up!" hahahahaha! :D
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:40 pm

I know what ya mean Dragon Pilot- I'd be grateful to have sex anywhere ALSO!!! LOL But If I can keep one Hottie from sleeping on the ground my Job as SUper Barbie will Not be in Vain! 8) 8) :lol: LOL

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:55 am

We've tried air mattresses. Didn't like them. Even the Coleman slowly deflated, and I didn't like the plastic, even though I piled crap on it.

We got a self-inflating mattress, and top it with a memory foam pad. They are a bit bulky, but we have a trailer for gear, so that's not an issue for us. Neither were cheap, but I sleep, and fuck, cozily.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0025938516444a.shtml

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11293374

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Thecatman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:23 am

I've used an airmatress the last couple of years and its held up. I have to pump it up some each night before hittin the sack but that takes maybe 90 seconds. The worst part is the first inflation that takes about 10-15 minutes and deflating it and trying to get as much air out as possible.

Jiva

Postby Jiva » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:09 am

I slept on an Aerobed mattress at home for nearly three years, every night. Don't think I ever had sex on it, but I wouldn't have hesitated to.
Stay home; the man will burn without you.

gladeye

Postby gladeye » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:08 pm

Barbie wrote:OKay Then But YOu have all been Fore Warned!! FUCK On THE GROUND sleep On the Air Mattress LOL soooooo when your sleeping on the cold hard playa- OR fucked up and want to get into bed but your trying to figure out how to use the damm pump - never to be found or figured out Soo ya just pass out on the nice hard playa anyway .... Think of me on my nice foam! LOLOL :twisted: :twisted: :twisted :twisted:

No, no. Don't fuck on the mattress or the ground. Fuck on your neighbor's trampoline.

Ohhhh and wear your shoes...
"Madness is the first sign of dandruff" - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

RedHeaven
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby RedHeaven » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:09 pm

FUCK AIR MATTS! Cant stand those things. I have a bad back and I will make the room in my truck for a FOAM!!

My old eggcrate foams just got too flat after 6 yers of use so natuarlly I am going to get new ones.

Does anyone have a suggestion between Eggcrate foams and Memory foams? I dont know what to get. Eggcrate mats have done me VERY well so I want to stick to whats not broken, but will a memory foam be even better?

FOund some on line, I know, Walmart sucks, but I have actually never bought anything there and Im considering being evil and doing it. HA

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... ductDetail

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Q0VEW/ref ... nkCode=asn

http://www.mattressbymail.com/memorytopper.html

http://www.bestlabdeals.com/Eggcrate_Ma ... mp0787.htm

Hmmmmmm, what to buy?

Did I mention I LOVE FOAMS? So worth the extra bulk IMO....I cover them wtih fun soft sheets.....I would love to be elevated but I like to stretch out too.

gidget

Postby gidget » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:22 pm

memory foam compresses with your body weight, very comfy on top of other foam or an air mattress, not so comfy on the ground. Go with traditional egg crates.
gidget is gadgety-good!

RedHeaven
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Postby RedHeaven » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:59 am

That answer is worth its weight in gold. Much appreciated!!

RedheadBarbie

Postby RedheadBarbie » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:13 am

I looked at the foam options and went round and round contemplating and fretting about the cost until...I realized I have foam on the couch. I have an Ikea fouton-looking couch but didn't like the foam in six pieces so I had glued them into 3 and 3 panels. They happen to fit perfectly in the camper. They are about 5 inches thick and you sleep like a dream.

postcardbox

Postby postcardbox » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:05 am

My friend just got one of WalMarts foam mattresses and uses it on the floor without a frame as her bed. It's amazing. I was really surprised and am looking into getting one myself. It was $200. The one she had before, she used for 6 years.

[quote="RedHeaven"]FUCK AIR MATTS! Cant stand those things. I have a bad back and I will make the room in my truck for a FOAM!!

My old eggcrate foams just got too flat after 6 yers of use so natuarlly I am going to get new ones.

Does anyone have a suggestion between Eggcrate foams and Memory foams? I dont know what to get. Eggcrate mats have done me VERY well so I want to stick to whats not broken, but will a memory foam be even better?

FOund some on line, I know, Walmart sucks, but I have actually never bought anything there and Im considering being evil and doing it. HA

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... ductDetail

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Q0VEW/ref ... nkCode=asn

http://www.mattressbymail.com/memorytopper.html

http://www.bestlabdeals.com/Eggcrate_Ma ... mp0787.htm

Hmmmmmm, what to buy?

Did I mention I LOVE FOAMS? So worth the extra bulk IMO....I cover them wtih fun soft sheets.....I would love to be elevated but I like to stretch out too.[/quote]

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:24 am

There's a Daiso near me that sells futon mattresses. Actually, I probably have a good one around the house. Just fold it up and stick it with the rest of the gear.

Air mattresses are for camping trips. ;)

amuk

Postby amuk » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:37 pm

After doing the air mattress thing a few years (blowing more air into it every day or two) and then one year having it go completely flat with a hole that didn't want to stay patched I finally got a couple Therm-a-Rest self inflating air mattresses and these things f*#&-ing rock! They are now a festy/camping/Burning Man requirement for us. They roll up so small, are ultra-tough and that inch or so provides so much more comfort and thermal protection than 6" of plain old air mattress. They aren't ultra-cheap, but I've found them worth every penny.

Homiesinheaven
Burning Since: 2008

Postby Homiesinheaven » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:58 pm

i found the cheapest one i could find at Big5 ($20) and it did great. deflated a tiny bit by the end of the week but it was no disaster. :)

JulzQ1

Postby JulzQ1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:28 pm

I've used the same Coleman air mattress for years out there with no problems, other than it losing air daily. As long as it got pumped up every night it was fine. It did lose air overnight but never put us on the ground. What I didn't like about it was how low it was to the ground.

This year I bought an AeroBed from Costco, the self inflating kind that sits high off the ground. They were only $85 for a queen on sale and I figured too good a deal to pass up considering the Coleman double height air mattresses were $60. Every person I've heard that's used an AeroBed says they're amazing. I tried it at home and it was just as comfortable as a regular bed.

Mine doesn't have a function to be blown up w/ batteries though. It only plugs in, which I didn't realize when I bought it. Thankfully our camp has a generator, otherwise I would have ended up having to buy a power inverter for the cigarette lighter.

gidget

Postby gidget » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:28 pm

RedHeaven wrote:That answer is worth its weight in gold. Much appreciated!!

No prob! Found that sucker out the hard way... :oops:
gidget is gadgety-good!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”