Giving gifts

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
angrykittie25

Giving gifts

Post by angrykittie25 » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:54 pm

I was planning on going to burning man two years ago when I found out I was pregnant and couldn't go, but I had started making gifts to give out when I was there. I still have them but recently looked at the playa artifact page and realized that they aren't as fancy as some things people give out. They are rather simple necklaces that I always enjoyed but I am afraid that people will not like them. I don't have alot of money so I can't do some of the other things that people do to give away. Should I give them out anyway or just not bring anything?

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:01 pm

As long as they were something you made with your hands, and they are from your heart, then bring them! They will be cherished by those who receive them. The most important part of the gift is the interaction that precedes it, and the sharing of the story. Be sure to share your story too!

III

Post by III » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:36 pm

>>They are rather simple necklaces that I always enjoyed but I am afraid that people will not like them.

anything you make on your own will be anjoyed by someone. for some of us, it's not about how fancy, big, bright or shiny you can make it, but that you do it at all...
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

stuart

Post by stuart » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:01 pm

along a similar vein to my response in your thread about sex and nudity, there is a lot less 'gifting' than you might be led to believe by reading all of the propoganda.

Silver

Gifts

Post by Silver » Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:24 am

I agree with III, the fact that you thought about it and made something is as important that what it is. In my box of Burning Man things I have there is a construction paper cut out of the man with a yarn necklace and it is much a keepsake as the fancier stuff.

There is a thread around here titled 'Gifting' and another that dicusses Best or most favorite things received.
My grandfather tried to raise me as a Southern gentleman, that means that I can be a real SOB some of the time.

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:08 pm

Seems to me that it's not so much how the gift looks as how the gift feels...

I say bring 'em

pixie mcGiver

Post by pixie mcGiver » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:25 am

I agree, it's not the gift itself but the feeling you get receving and giving of gifts. That is the best part of gifting!!

iamtonynyc

Post by iamtonynyc » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:36 am

ill take one! :D

anticdevices

Post by anticdevices » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:52 am

Your gift will be recieved in the spirit with which it was created, if not better. I know our experience was that every gift, no matter how simple, was recieved with joy. In my own case, I'm continually amazed that someone - some stranger - made or constructed something JUST FOR ME! (even if they gave out 999 mostly just like it to 1000 other strangers). The simplicty &/or the expense of the gift are asides to how it is appreciated.

I don't believe my (or our, including my wife) experience was that unique. Every member of your new family will probably be as pleased with your efforts as your mother was when you were 7. It's amazing.

And I don't mean to sound pollyanna-ish, but rather.. amazed. It's something. Do it. You won't regret it.

Tweeky

giving gifts

Post by Tweeky » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:48 pm

I think that hand made things, no matter how simple or small are the best. I have a simple cotton necklace that a beautiful man gave to me the night of the burn 2001.It is on my bedpost and has been there for two years as a daily reminder that I was there and it wasn't all just a glorious dream. My favorite gift was this hottie walking around a bonfire to just come and tell me that I had the prettiest smile that he ever saw....wow!
Gifts Rock,no matter how big or small!

technopatra

Post by technopatra » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:28 am

I thinkt he greatest thing about gifts, and playa gifts in particular, is the sense of joy it brings you to want to share.

For me, the gifting thing straight up confused me at first. Was I supposed to gift everyone? Was it really a barter thing? Was I supposed to try to collect one of everything? Did I have to keep every gift given to me?

Through the years I went through phases of gifting little toy crap because I didn't know any better, passing out watermelon folks rarely wanted, giving foot baths & massages, refusing to gift anything at all, carrying bags full of stuff to give to everyone who made me smile, carrying bags full of half-completed stuff that I really wanted to finish on-playa so I could say I made something myself ...yadda..yadda.. while kinda missing out on the sentiment of what it means to gift, or be gifted.

The past couple of years I finally figured out that:

a) sometimes the material goods are just vessels for the notion of telling someone "I appreciate you" or "you've brought some joy into my moment" or "you look lonely, let me show you that someone cares about you" or "I hope you remember me" and it really doesn't matter what they are

b) when you really put your heart, soul, time and money into your gifts, you will be delighted in an entirely hubristic way when folks' eyes light up upon receipt, and that's ok

c) schwag usually ends up in a drawer, while memories stay with me always

goodvibe

Thank you Angry Kitty!

Post by goodvibe » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:50 am

I am so glad you posted that because I was afraid to. I am so happy the response is positive. I definitely will be doing good if I just get there - coming across country, ticket prices, gas prices, food/water prices, etc. - I just can't believe how much this is adding up to be. I basically have to use what I have around the house already. I am thinking of making mini booklets or postcards with collage or quotes on them. With glitter glue, anything's pretty!
P.S. I looked through the Gift Archive also, and was extremely intimidated by all the manufactured looking things, but my stuff always comes out looking extremely handmade. And I really do like that type of thing better than a mass- produced business card type thingie that you made on the computer. I make soap, so maybe I will bring some of that. I am also going to bring old books I've already read, and tie a bead or incense to them somehow. I am hoping to just connect with people as I give this to them, so they don't think it's really lame that I am just cleaning out my junk drawer.
P.P.S. And good for you, Angry Kitty, for keeping the dream alive. More power to ya!
You must do the thing you think you cannot do.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Chai Guy

Post by Chai Guy » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:15 pm

sometimes the material goods are just vessels for the notion of telling someone "I appreciate you" or "you've brought some joy into my moment" or "you look lonely, let me show you that someone cares about you" or "I hope you remember me" and it really doesn't matter what they are
My Best Gift ever (From an earlier post here: http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 77&start=0 )
This went down as THE best gift I have ever received in my 6 years of attending Burning Man. -
I met a girl named Free Kittens ( which by the way if you are reading this, or know Free Kittens, please email me! Thanks) anyway, Free Kittens and I were taking a stroll, picking up Moop and sharing a lovely conversation when she offered me a gift. She pulled back her coat to reveal a utility belt- ammo pouch kind of thing and asked me to choose one pouch. I pointed to one and then she asked me to close my eyes, I did and instinctively held out my hand. "Oh no" she said, "This isn't tactile" and then proceeded to hold up to my ear a tiny music box that played the most wonderful melody. This HUGE smile engulfed my face and I was transported on the most amazing journey while listening to that simple mechanical device.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:04 pm

One of my most cherished gifts was a bundle of sage that a woman had crafted into a doll that looked a little like "the man" (she intended me to burn it as inscence, but I thought it was cute so I kept it). Cost her nothing but time. It stayed in my truck as a mascot until it fell apart (dried out too much I guess).

If you think it would be a nice gift, then it is. Bring it, and someone will be happier for it.

regards, Jafe

Dork

Post by Dork » Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:30 pm

Home-made soap would be perfect.. especially if it were made into interesting shapes.

As long as it's something personal and it's convenient for the recipient (fits in a pocket or can be worn) it should go over well.

I'm thinking of sewing up some little things of my own. Gotta figure out how to use that sewing machine somehow!

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:03 pm

Yeah... it’s very refreshing to realize the joy you can bring others by gifting, when we're raised in a society that honors selfishness. A simple yarn necklace can convey a lot more emotion than words ever could.

Sometimes I give randomly, sometimes to special people only after getting to know them. And the music box... what a great story. Beautiful and something that will be remembered from now on. Over the years, I've come to live my life in the helping others/random gifting frame of mind. This will be my first year at BM and I just can’t wait to get to there...

Material things fade away, but good vibes pass down through the generations.

III

Post by III » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:35 pm

>>Home-made soap

don't know how far you've gone on this, but i've seen skin care bars that look like soap, but are a bit softer. i think those'd make great gifts out there (since not everyone's going to be able to enjoy long hot showers, but everyone does get dry skin.)
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:50 pm

>>Home-made soap

i think that's what's going on here, too

goodvibe

sewing

Post by goodvibe » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:13 am

Dork, what kind of machine do you have? I love sewing. I am making my husband a robe thing (the Jesus type) to wear on the playa. Something simple to make would be coasters or catnip toys for people with cats. The important thing is to not freeze up in front of your machine! Don't let it intimidate you. If you have an instruction booklet, read it. I am the world's worst when it comes to things like that, but you gotta face your fears. If I can make my own skirts and curtains, you can too. Believe me, I'm not that good at following directions. If you need any help, just PM me.
- Eleanor Roosevelt

goodvibe

Hmmm

Post by goodvibe » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:27 am

>>skin care bars that look like soap, but are a bit softer.>>

Good idea! I know I have some recipes. (Rubbing hands together)
The goggles, the gloves... the smell of fat boiling... fire burn and cauldron bubble...
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”