Care Package

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
cakitty

Care Package

Post by cakitty » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Hello! I'm new here and while I have not gone to Burning Man and will not be going this year, I have TONS of loved ones going and I would like to send out about 10-20 care packages.

Now, I came up with a list of BM 'essentials' with other Burners helping me out but I want to know what YOU guys think would be great/cheap/cute/useful in a care package.

Also, I'd like to put in things that will not make a mess on the playa and would be easily recyclable!

Much love to all of you and thank you in advance for the help!

bdeywoo

Post by bdeywoo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:33 pm

Were you going to mail them the packages for them to take to Burning Man or were you planning on mailing them to Black Rock City?

I dont believe they would ever get them if you are doing the latter. Personally I'd send them money and let them get what they want, but take a look at the survival guide on the site it has just about everything you could need to know for basics and a search on this forum will produce massive help as well.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:35 pm

There's the Black Rock City Post OFfice see http://www.blackrockcitypostoffice.org/

They are a for-real US Post Office and can send and receive US mail. You need to know as closely as possible where your friends camp and what they call themselves on playa.

From the BRCPO web site:
When mailing to the playa please address your playa-bound mail as completely as possible in this format to increase the odds of your mail being received:
CAMPER'S PLAYA NAME or REAL NAME ...or better, both.
CAMP NAME (and any helpful descriptions of street facade, tents, or large features that might be at this location to help the postie find the addressee)
CAMP ADDRESS: as close as you can get (example: 9:35 and Hummer) &/or nearest cross-street, and even Man-side or mountain-side (if you know)
C/O BRCPO
Burning Man
Gerlach, NV 89412

Probably a really good idea to be very careful about your return address in case they can't find your friend.

What to send? I'd make it something as personal as possible. The types of things like food etc that I normally think of with a care package have little chance of arriving in good shape. But a bit o' love from the home folks, maybe something you made, that would be so special to receive.

cakitty

Post by cakitty » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:24 pm

To the first person who replied: Yes, you can send packages to people at BRC...you just have to know EXACTLY where they are camping and what name they go by on the playa.

Obviously, I know where and how to send the packages, hence my just asking what to send.

Anyway, my 'essentials' list so far includes:
-Lighters
-Lip balm (with sunscreen!)
-Sunblock sticks
-Glowsticks
-Bike repair kits
-Baby wipes
-Bandanas

...along with personalized items per person. I'm planning on sending the packages so that people will get them during the middle of the week, when people lose/run out of shit. :-D

mojo

Post by mojo » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:37 pm

How about:
Covered cups
Tag with their address that they can put around their necks saying "If lost, please return to ______"
clean socks
good hard candy
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:18 pm

I found some little bottles of hand sanitizer, some cheap but pretty good LED flashlights and multi-packs of lip balm. I will be gifting them to complete strangers.
When I go to the portos I bring along a roll of 1ply toilet paper, if the portos are out it will be a very welcome gift.

phil

Re: Care Package

Post by phil » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:14 pm

cakitty wrote:... but I want to know what YOU guys think would be great/cheap/cute/useful in a care package.
Check here:
http://www.cieux.com/bm/things.html

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”