I need to know about C O P S & D R U G S

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Don Muerto

Post by Don Muerto » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:26 pm

Advice on, like, how I sound and stuff?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:42 pm

Seeing as this is a drug thread. Some may be reading this for other reasons. Say recovery sorces....Yes there are NA & AA meetig pretty much at all hours.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

precipitate
Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Post by precipitate » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:11 pm

> Advice on, like, how I sound and stuff?

Would you quit teeing those up for me? I'm trying not to be an
unmitigated meanyhead.

Don Muerto

Post by Don Muerto » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:45 pm

After further review, the Don Muerto Board of Trustees has decided to continue this irrational and callow sham.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

depros

Post by depros » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:48 pm

In my opinion, I don't think you even need to do any drugs out there. It feels like I'm on drugs the whole week just walking around experiencing everything. I've done plenty in my time, partly to make this world feel like the world i experience when I'm in the desert. Does it enhance everything? Sure it does, but not necessary to have the time of your life. To me, it's like living in another world, in another realm of existence. I walk around high on life out there. Just giving my two cents and believe me, I like to enhance my senses quite often.

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:03 pm

I have discovered that my best nights out there are the straight ones. Or the just slightly tipsy ones - those are actually the most fun.

Really. You have to be *very* careful and discrete. Unfortunately, the more you take of anything, the harder it is to judge whether or not you're managing discretion. Finding drug use appears to be the number one focus of law enforcement out there. They are *actively* looking for it.
It's all about the squirrels.

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:16 pm

BRC is the last place I'd want to do drugs. There is just so much going on, so much to see and do that drugs would slow me down more than enhance things. I will drink out there but that's about it as the whole experience is so surreal, so different that you can trip without taking anything.

Plus I drive 1800 miles to get there...the last thing I want to do is get busted half a continent away from home. So as far as I'm concerned I'd pass on the stuff.

Last Real Burner

Hey don't bogart that joint my friend...

Post by Last Real Burner » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:37 am

Please please please be very careful if you do "any" type of drugs at the event called burning man. The police will catch you and put you in jail.

And if you decide to do any type of drugs remember to always call me first. Image I'll bring my dancing banana, promise.

"Researchers have discovered that chocolate produces some of the same reactions in the brain as marijuana. The researchers also discovered other similarities between the two, but can't remember what they are."- Matt Lauer on NBC's Today show, August 22."

repeatedly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

actiongrl

Please think carefully about this discussion

Post by actiongrl » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:09 pm

I'd like to make an important point or two.

Yes, there are undercover cops at the event. It seems, in fact, that the number is increasing over time. It also seems they are not *as* inclined to chase down individuals as they are dealers, but people HAVE been arrested and cited -- in their RV's, "sharing" with friends in the street, or smoking in their camps, for example. They are mandated to enforce the law, and if they see it being broken, they will act to bring criminals to justice.

Burning Man does not condone illegal acts of any sort at the event. Besides, our very ethos states that there is no vending permitted at the event...so, anyone selling anything in BRC - I say string them up by their toes.

Especially because it can endanger the very future of the event.

Please understand that these boards are watched every day by those authorities who can affect our future very directly. Asking about whether and how to break the law is not protected speech, and we cannot permit this kind of discussion on our servers.[/i]

Alexiis

Aquariumgirl and sock puppets

Post by Alexiis » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:04 pm

ummm...not to be too paranoid, but has the point been made that this here troll, ahem, Aquariumgirl maybe actually a sockpuppet for the authorities in question?
IMHO this whole conversation smells mightly of ultra weirdness. Also, the fact that she is so stubbornly and clearly clueless on the basic, common sence kinda stuff that self proclaimed, drug-familiar people like herself usually are aware of, seems to scream BAIT!!!

<that and the smilies are killin' me>

Just my .02

talisen

Re: Please think carefully about this discussion

Post by talisen » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:30 pm

actiongrl wrote: we cannot permit this kind of discussion on our servers.[/i]
I'm curious about the use of "our" there......

depros

Post by depros » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:44 pm

>>>>>I'm curious about the use of "our" there......

AG is a super hero, without her help, you wouldn't be able to post here.

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:13 pm

Our = Burning Man's. Is that the question? I am speaking here as a member of the staff.

And I too feel that this could be a troll, but I wanted to take the opportunity to remind folks that speaking about illegal personal choices (no judgment here, just earnesty) here can affect the whole in a very detrimental way. And if Burning Man's future were to wind up in jeopardy over something so entirely unrelated to its mission or its ethos, I think I should cry myself to sleep every night for years.

drugdog

Post by drugdog » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:09 pm

I honestly wouldn't bring anything but cigarettes out of my home state, to tell the truth.

But that's already been covered.

Savior69

Re: Aquariumgirl and sock puppets

Post by Savior69 » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:44 pm

[quote="Alexiis"]ummm...not to be too paranoid, but has the point been made that this here troll, ahem, Aquariumgirl maybe actually a sockpuppet for the authorities in question?
IMHO this whole conversation smells mightly of ultra weirdness. Also, the fact that she is so stubbornly and clearly clueless on the basic, common sence kinda stuff that self proclaimed, drug-familiar people like herself usually are aware of, seems to scream BAIT!!!

<that and the smilies are killin' me>

Nicely put! I was just about to post somthing along those same lines.

_tears_

Post by _tears_ » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:48 pm

I wont talk about it all ehre in the playa, too many ears too much gossip. But you are welcome to drop me a direct e-mail at [email protected] subject : burning man

---Tears---
[size=84][color=red]
Tears 2003, 2004
[/color][/size]
[size=100][color=darkred]
The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
[/color][/size]

danman

Post by danman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:03 am

drugs are an individual choice as long as your altered state is not negatively effecting others. my personal opinion as to drugs burning man: the energy is so powerful w/o drugs . drugs can take away from the experience. limited use, save it for one big night, seems good.

legal advice-i am a criminal defense attorney. First, i advise against any illegal acts-but.....If transporting drugs across state lines beware. It is a serious federal offense. If a person were to transport drugs, and remember i advise against it, take the following steps.

1) legal vehicle-make sure there are no problems with your vehicle that would give cops excuse to pull you over-check taillights, headlights (angle etc.), nothing hanging from rearview mirror, no cracks in windshield, plates current, I have even seen stops for tires to bald, current insurance.

2) No traffic infractions-drive like an angel-set cruise at speed limit, no u-turns, no bad stops, perfect.

3) don't park and sleep anywhere illegal, if you do hide the items away from person and vehicle. be aware when hiding that no one is watching.

4) stay straight on drive-if you are dumb enough to do drugs when transporting you deserve to get busted.

5) do no have drugs inside passenger compartment. carry drugs in locked container in trunk or make secret compartment outside passenger compartment. Be careful-think about the hidingplace-would it be apparent from accident-rollover, would the drugs melt from heat, is it obvious?

6) never agree to a search-officers must search incident to arrest or have reasonable suspicion carrying drugs. Don't waive your rights and don't fall for the old "it doesn't matter if you consent i will search anyways" or "i'll let you go if you give me the drugs"

7) be polite-even if you hate cops. they have big egos-best to stoke them and get on your way.

8) have your registration, drivers license and insurance ready. If they pull you over you should be able to hand them to the officer without looking through glovebox etc.

9) tape record the encounter-if they decide to lie in court may be useful.

10) if busted never talk w/o lawyer, write statement asap with details, take phots etc.

again i advise agaisnt any illegal acts.

know your rights!

precipitate
Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Post by precipitate » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:07 am

I know I'm gonna regret this, but ...

[quote=danman]again i advise agaisnt any illegal acts.[/quote]

Then why is it that you're giving public advice on how to get away with
an illegal act?

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:17 am

In regards to Danman's post, I offer the following.

E-playa TOS: Sections of Interest: Title area and 2 sub sections.

The following is a partial list of the kind of Content that is illegal or prohibited on the Eplaya. Burning Man reserves the right to investigate and take appropriate legal action in its sole discretion against anyone who violates this provision, including without limitation, removing the offending post from the Service and terminating the membership of such violators, in connection with all available civil, criminal, and injunctive remedies. You agree not to use the Service to:

upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that information that you know is false, misleading or >> promotes illegal activities << or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory, tortious or libelous;

upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that provides instructional information about illegal activities such as making or buying illegal weapons, violating someone's privacy, or providing or creating computer viruses;

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:21 am

That last post was a long way of saying we really don't need a primer on getting away with drug smuggling on the e-playa. It's potentially bad for the BMORG to have these kinds of discussions going on.

And while I don't mean to single anyone out, a review of prior discussions shows this board has an active LEO group who reads it, and one who is nice enough to post his views on BM issues. Keep that in mind, your audience might be larger than you think.

Menehune

Post by Menehune » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:22 am

It is.....

danman

Post by danman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:16 am

good question-

first-this is a hypothetical discussion, there is no attorney client relationship. I advise against any illegal act, especially transporting drugs across state lines, because the consequences are very severe and given that burning man is all the drug you need, probably not worth it. Nonetheless, people should know there rights and how any proposed course of action impacts those rights. If a person decides to violate the law and transport drugs they still have the right to be free of unreasonable searches and seizures, until reasonable suspicion, probable cause or a valid waiver of their rights is established. I was not advising them how to get away with a criminal act, I simply stated how certain acts/action would impact their right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure.

danman

III

Post by III » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:23 am

i should also point out that a lot of danman's advice holds if you aren't breaking the law: just because they won't find anything doesn't mean that you need to consent to a legally questionable search.
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

stuart

Post by stuart » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:30 am

thanks for the good advice dan

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:38 am

Thanks for the advice and the clarification.

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:52 am

I'm as liberal as most on these issues but Tancorix makes a point...
trying too hard to be helpful, danman wrote:if you are dumb enough to do drugs when transporting you deserve to get busted.
The obvious implication is that if you are merely transporting drugs (to the event) in a locked, concealed container then you do not deserve to get busted. That's not good legal advice and it's not helpful to BM's cause.

danman

Post by danman » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:07 pm

i would like to thank everyone who responded for making me think. i just shot out an e-mail without thinking about the wider audience and how such an e-mail might impact burningman as a whole. It is interesting to think about how burningman is about individual free expression and choice, but at the same time to remember that your acts of free expression may impact others and/or burningman as a whole and you should think about and consider those impacts in making your pesonal choices. perhaps the conversation is not appropriate for the e-playa and better suited for a more confidential and private forum. I hope some find the thread useful and apologize if i offended others or overstepped the bounds of the forum.

burnon

danman

technopatra

Post by technopatra » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:21 pm

danman wrote: perhaps the conversation is not appropriate for the e-playa and better suited for a more confidential and private forum.
Yes. I'll say it again.

Cops. Local, state, federal.

Media. Many people who will print anything negative about Burning Man, truthful or not, cuz it might make a good story, as we saw with the stopbm AP article. All they have to do is report that someone said something, and boom, the Project is nailed for supporting it.

Your mom. Your kids. Your classmates. Your teachers. Your boss. Your employees. Your evil ex who has a major grudge.

All of these people have as much access to these boards as you do.

PLEASE exercise good judgement about posting. I really, really don't want to have to delete anyone's posts.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:38 pm

unjonharley wrote: FBI, ATF, BLM, Na.State,County and Tible Lands.
Ah yes, the Table Lands police: Mathew MaGuire, Marshall of the Mesa. . .

(Sorry, Unjon, just couldn't resist. Tribal, and it's not like I don't make plenty of typos of my own.)

Dork

Post by Dork » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:18 pm

9) tape record the encounter-if they decide to lie in court may be useful.
I've been wondering about that since being verbally abused by a cop in a small Nevada town a few years back. I'd kind of like to just keep a tape recorder with me on long trips and turn it on if pulled over. Do I have to notify the officer that I'm recording our conversation? Can he refuse my request? Is turning on the recorder going to piss him or her off and make things worse?

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”