Late Arrival Question

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Violet Boudoir

Late Arrival Question

Post by Violet Boudoir » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:54 pm

Hello,

This is going to be my first Burning Man Experience and I have to arrive late - as in Wednesday afternoon late. I am not camping with any theme camp. We are camping in a VW bus, so walk in camping is not an option.

My question is: Are there any tips on arriving late? Is there anything I should keep in mind? Are there any groups willing to take late arrivals such as my husband, myself and our VW bus?

Thanks
Focus on the WHAT, and the HOW will take care of itself. - Me

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:07 pm

I came in late for my first two burns and had no problem finding a place to camp. Have you contacted VW Bus Camp? They may still have room.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:50 pm

You shouldn't have any problem finding a spot in the outer rings. Just find a spot, get out, politely check with the neighbors, if they're cool, park it!

I came in Thursday morning one year, squeezed a big rig into a very tight spot...turned out to have the most AWEsome neighbors...one of the best year's ever!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:30 am

you could probably squeeze into V.W. Bus Camp. They are listed w/ the theme camps online & will have an address. They welcome everyone with a bus or unusual camper. They would be alot of fun for you guys !!
don't forget to floss

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:14 am

You can also park your bus at the edge of walk in camping and walk in.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

phil

Post by phil » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:43 am

> Are there any tips on arriving late?

Don't show up till Thursday.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:58 am

Bring fresh fruits and vegetables, no lie.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:13 am

And your Late Entry Pass.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

camp-photon

Post by camp-photon » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:07 am

You call Wednesday late?

Shoehorn in anywhere and watch the city continue to build around you via suburban SUVs.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:25 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Bring fresh fruits and vegetables, no lie.
and otter pops! and salad stuff... (goes bad within 1-2 days on the playa, so no one will have this stuff come wed/thur - you will make new firends easily)
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

pimppapst

Late Arrival Question

Post by pimppapst » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:20 am

After reading this thread I'm getting the impression that a reservation is not possible :-( So what would be the best way arriving e.g. Thursday/Friday afternoon with a convoy of 8 RVs an try to get them together as some sort of camp?

We're flying in from Europe and don't have the chance to arrive earlier?

Any hints would be appreciated

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:33 am

camping 8 RV's together late in the week should still be possible, you will just have to accept the fringes of civilization (quieter anyways, and fewer folks to bitch about your gennies). Be sure to have bikes for all.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:28 am

The outer streets in the area of 2:00 to 3:30 usually have plenty of space for a large group until the end of the event. You might even find the same thing on the 10:00 side. My recollection says the bigger space is always on the 2:00 side.

If you guys have CB's you may want to send one RV off to the 10:00 side to investigate via the outer road. (FRS radios just don't work at the burn) If they find a kick ass spot that is better than what the main group finds everybody can go around the block and head that way.

Pre plan how you are going to arrange the RV's to form your camp that way you know how much space you will need. That will make deciding if a spot is right for your group that much easier. With a plan set up will be fast and you can be out in the city enjoying things in no time.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”