Any diabetic burners out there?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Gee-Banger
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Any diabetic burners out there?

Postby Gee-Banger » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:03 am

Haha! You gave me me a hypo laughing! ;)

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Another year has passed, and this means another edition of the Unofficial Diabetes Supplement to the Burningman Survival Guide is ready.

If you are a diabetic burner, PM me your email address and I'll send you the latest edition hot off the presses. It's 26 pages and 13,500+ words in PDF format. (Guaranteed to cure insomnia! LOL!) :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:50 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Another year has passed, and this means another edition of the Unofficial Diabetes Supplement to the Burningman Survival Guide is ready.

If you are a diabetic burner, PM me your email address and I'll send you the latest edition hot off the presses. It's 26 pages and 13,500+ words in PDF format. (Guaranteed to cure insomnia! LOL!) :mrgreen:

I read this to Chris and his response was "Of course he did!"

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:02 pm

Jovankat wrote:
GreyCoyote wrote:Another year has passed, and this means another edition of the Unofficial Diabetes Supplement to the Burningman Survival Guide is ready.

I read this to Chris and his response was "Of course he did!"

I know... I'm getting predictable in my Olde Age... :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:40 pm

I think it's ok when you're predictably awesome :P

DanusLight
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby DanusLight » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:17 am

T2 here. This is my first burn, but this was great information. Thank You.

I'm maxed on oral meds and use Lantus at night. So, I now have an email into my doc to ask about changing the Lantus dose if need be.

Thank You Again for all this info!

I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:25 am

DanusLight wrote:T2 here. This is my first burn, but this was great information. Thank You.

I'm maxed on oral meds and use Lantus at night. So, I now have an email into my doc to ask about changing the Lantus dose if need be.

Thank You Again for all this info!

Glad to help!

PM me your email address and I'll send you the latest edition hot off the presses. It's been massively revamped and is now 26 pages and 13,500+ words in PDF format. Its really aimed at T1's, but much of it translates to insulin-dependent T2's too.
(A Beautiful Mind)

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:02 pm

I'm bumping this thread in the hope to catch any new arrivals.

If you are a Type 1, or are part of the tribe camping with a Type 1, PM me your email addy and I will happily shoot you a copy.
(A Beautiful Mind)

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:55 pm

Once again, we bump this thread and I shall begin my shameless trolling for all you Type 1's out there. (You know who you are are. You are the awesome guys and dolls who have tossed-out their pancretic islet cells, stared Death in the face, and said "Fuck you! I'll control my own insulin delivery, thank you oh so very fucking much!!!!)". You are the few. The proud. The stuff of legend. Those worthy of respect. YOU ARE MY CLAN!!!

On a deadly serious note, if you are a Type 1, and you are about to land on the playa, and you want to burn with a (safe) and awesome intensity, please hit me up. There is an art and science to this. Let me give you the missing part of the Burningman Survival Guide. Let me give you some tools so you can have a chat with your endo and plot a strategy that will keep you safe, alive, and burning hard! HARD!! Not like some some pussy-whipped Noob, but like the PARTY ANIMAL you are!

FWIW, I wont be in the dust this year, (sigh) but I damn Skippy will help my T1D Peeps attain a legendary level of control in my absence! YOU are my Tribe and this information is your power, so put away the shyness and PM me.

You know who you are. Do it. :)

Grey
(A Beautiful Mind)

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash formerly Kidsville

Postby AfricanFire » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:49 pm

Heading back to BRC this year, with a couple of changes since the last time - Still on MDI's but taking Toujeo now for my basal. Also, I'm now using a Dexcom CGM so that adds a layer of complexity to the experience. Looking forward to it.

I'm considering getting some of these instead of an annoying medical alert necklace/bracelet.
https://pumppeelz.com/collections/temporarytattoos

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:39 am

clem24 wrote:Diabetes sucks. I am still surprised how my cousins blood sugar level rose above 180. It's scary. And the blood sugar level chart is showing he is at the danger zone.

Diabetes is quite the thrill ride.

That being said, 180 mg/dL is really nothing to worry about. This is way, way short of a panic. At 180 he has months before issues will occur. Frankly, MOST Type 1's spike that high, or higher, after a meal.

That being said, 180 isnt ideal. If he is cruising at 180 as a matter of course, then its time for him to review his basics: carbs, correction and continuity. Bolus. Basal. 180 just says "yo! A little attention here!"

Personally, and speaking STRICTLY for myself, I'd just hydrate and see what happens. Dehydration on the playa is some of what drives high BG's. So add water until you piss clear and then some. Retest in 3 hours. You would be shocked what happens when water gets added. Still high? Maybe a smidge more basal or a correction bolus. He'll know which based on his logs.

You: you're a damn good friend to be watching his back. Thank you for that. If he gets over 400 for more thn 30 minutes, or over 300 for more than an hour, snag his ass and haul him off to the med tent for inspection. And any time you see more than 450, for ANY amount of time, he's on the next MV to Rampart, no questions asked.
(A Beautiful Mind)

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”