Recommendations -- pee bottle?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Totoro

Recommendations -- pee bottle?

Post by Totoro » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:23 pm

I think it might help -- and I think I've read about it here on the boards, but I can't find it now -- to have a small bottle I can pee into n the middle of the night. (Which I can then go empty into the port-a-potty later.)

Anybody do this? Any good suggestions for how to do it?

Thanks so much everyone!

--Totoro

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:29 pm

It is more fun to get up and walk to the JOTS. You never know what you will see or who you will meet.

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:36 pm

If you're a dude, I'm not sure why you're asking. Any bottle will do....

If you're a chick, check out this thread which has a link to my favorite:
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=30438

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:37 pm

Oh wait, if you are a dude, some people have suggested putting a glowy bracelet or something in the bottle so that you don't pick it up in the dark mistakenly thinking it's a water bottle.

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:40 pm

Artemis wrote:Oh wait, if you are a dude, some people have suggested putting a glowy bracelet or something in the bottle so that you don't pick it up in the dark mistakenly thinking it's a water bottle.
Haha I'd better not do that. I usually put a glow stick IN my water bottle so I can find it at night. :oops:
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

BitterDan

Post by BitterDan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:40 pm

I use a gatorade bottle and write in big black letters "THIS IS PISS AND IT'S NOT CLEAR!"
Camp FuckIt + MT - 7:15 & D (maybe)

Jiva

Post by Jiva » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:08 pm

I always get a quart bottle of Gatorade on my way out there, drink it, then relabel the bottle "SALTY LEMONADE". I don't have any other Gatorade in my tent, and am unlikely to make the sort of mistake mentioned above.
[color=#ECE3BA][size=75]Stay home; the man will burn without you.[/size][/color]

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:47 am

I'm another burner who doesn't drink from the gatorade bottle in the tent. You can get whatever size bottle you need depending on capacity and opening size requirements. Don't accept a gift of yellow gatorade in the mornings.

For women, I found something by accident a few years ago that seems to have worked really well. Target (and probably others) sold salty snacks in about a 1 gallon short plastic jug with a big enough mouth to get a fistful of said salty snacks out of. I think the mouth is big enough to squat over. I don't have more details - they went to camp mates not tent mates so I never saw one in action. Camp mates seemed to love 'em. Sorry I don't have better description, but I bet you can find something like it at lots of big stores.

ETA: Actually, more I think about it, they were more like half gallon size. I'll take a picture if I see one today. Think chamber pot. With a screw on lid.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:04 pm

swampdog wrote:IFor women, I found something by accident a few years ago that seems to have worked really well.

Yeah right, by accident huh :wink:

:lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:37 am

Well as I recall it went something like

First woman: "hey, it looks like that jar would make a great pisspot! Can I have it when you're done?"

(Swampdog empties remaining salty snacks into a ziplock and hands it over)

Second woman, later: "Damn, I wish I had a decent pisspot"

Swampdog: "Hey, I've got another one of these, it seems to have worked for woman #1" (empties second jar into another ziplock)

Later, each woman: "Hey Swampdog, thanks so much for the great pisspot"

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:31 pm

They're called trucker bombs...and illegal in the state of washington. But better than pissing on the playa. When you gotta go, you. Gotta go.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

camp-photon

Post by camp-photon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:55 pm

I like the 1 Gal Crystal Geyser bottle with the white handle. I drink ridiculous amounts of water so I can get 4 uses out of the bottle. The top is large enough to be an easy target. No mess and easy to empty in the AM.

camp-photon

Post by camp-photon » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:57 pm

I like the 1 Gal Crystal Geyser bottle with the white handle. I drink ridiculous amounts of water so I can get 4 uses out of the bottle. The top is large enough to be an easy target. No mess and easy to empty in the AM.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:22 am

I brought one of these. It fills up kinda fast 'cause I'm a real man's man:

Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

TORD
Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: CAMP NOT FOR PROPHETS

Gallon water jug and 2 liter pop bottle top funnel

Post by TORD » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:02 pm

I just use the first gallon water jug MT. OK for me as am manly. My sweetie is more girly however. SO off I go in the AM naked on my bike to PEE FUNNEL CAMP. They art wonderful and handed one right over. Rode back to camp with it in my teeth like a rose. Alas the official pee funnel design is more geared to cheep mass production than use. It's a clear plastic cup with a hole and plastic tube glued in the bottom. The flaw is that to get the silicone glue to hold the tube in the cup they need to insert the tube into the cup and this creates a piss pocket. [ I guess you can dump the dribbles after pee though.]
Well what I did was cut the top off a 2 liter soda bottle to make a funnel. You may need to smooth the edge. But I used EMT snippers and it was OK. The funnel fits neatly into the gallon pee bottle. I keep it in the vestibule and the drinking water in the tent. S far no mistakes were made.
I have also seen colorful plastic funnels in the shape of a big fat cock and balls. She pee into the balls and it comes out the usual place. This looks like a more fun way to go. It's also a fashion accessory. If I find em online I will re post. TODO

EVERYONE wants T R Caspell
mr. Toads wild ride. Todd Royall Caspell
Tord, Todo and Whatever

HE HAD SUCH POTENTIAL

ILLITERATE GAJIN ROUND EYE HALOE GRINGO FARANG INFIDEL

(expressed opinions not necessarily of
my brain)

Saint Eddy ride for us.
RIDE LOTS _ Eddy

Todd R.Caspell
tordonoffon@mac.com
http://www.youtube.com/FEDERICOKUBRICK

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:13 pm

Artemis wrote:If you're a dude, I'm not sure why you're asking. Any bottle will do....

If you're a chick, check out this thread which has a link to my favorite:
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=30438
They're called trucker bombs. And if you know anything about compression, you'd know that the big mouth bottles are better. Make sure air can escape... A one gallon milk jug...painted black, a 3" (diameter) pvc tube,capped with a piss hole...just a couple ideas...

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:56 am

I do have to say, those pee funnels were disappointing. Not very practical. I love my "Freshette."

I ended up using an empty carrot juice bottle. I would get something a little bigger, next time. I liked that it didn't sit in my tent screaming PEE BOTTLE! - due to the label covering it.

I also enjoyed my friends "free tequila" (piss bottle = empty tequila bottle) outside their camp.

yellowdog

Post by yellowdog » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:07 pm

Empty Folgers coffee container. Find someone who works in an office building have them scout the coffee maker/break room, and they're free. They have a wide lid, good seal, short, about 1 gal size. Augment with some 'blue stuff' from an RV store. It's the stuff that's used in RV toilets to keep the stink down. Invest in a little squirt bottle, about 89 cents. A little dab will do ya. Perfection.

brcprincess

Post by brcprincess » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:14 am

I use any bottle I can find with a cheap funnel from Target. No splash, no mess, no fuss.

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:48 am

Every year I pee in all the lemon flavored Gatorade bottles and put em back in the ice chest.

But people love our Spiked Gatorade Lemonade so... Must be doing something right.
-AJ )'(

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:19 am

There is a product, called Go-Girl that allows for stand up peeing. It is soft neoprene and my partner got hers at an outfitters/camping store. Google go girl stand up pee and you can see it. Soft neoprene fits and works very nicely. Has back country uses, peeing against a tree, something girls don't get to do very often.[/img]
\^/
/..\ Furthur

Jiva

Post by Jiva » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Absolut Jeenyus wrote:Every year I pee in all the lemon flavored Gatorade bottles and put em back in the ice chest.

But people love our Spiked Gatorade Lemonade so... Must be doing something right.
Eating Amanita mushrooms, perhaps? :twisted:
[color=#ECE3BA][size=75]Stay home; the man will burn without you.[/size][/color]

kittyrocks

Post by kittyrocks » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:52 pm

how come you have to leave a hole for air to escape? will it explode? someone please warn me - i was going to try one of these sheewee / freshette / go girl type of devices and id hate to unintentionally set off a piss bombs or something equally horrible in my tent!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:26 am

Mostly it's there for the rest of us' amusement. When you knock it over and it spills it's way more funny than if you knock it over and it doesn't spill.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:41 pm

kittyrocks wrote:how come you have to leave a hole for air to escape? will it explode? someone please warn me - i was going to try one of these sheewee / freshette / go girl type of devices and id hate to unintentionally set off a piss bombs or something equally horrible in my tent!
It needs air to escape, otherwise yes it does kinda explode. Piss finds the easiesy way out, which is not in the bottle....compression.

cullen

Post by cullen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Artemis wrote:Oh wait, if you are a dude, some people have suggested putting a glowy bracelet or something in the bottle so that you don't pick it up in the dark mistakenly thinking it's a water bottle.
lol my roommate did this! It will teach him to keep two of the same bottles right next to each other. He was running around trying to wipe the taste out of his mouth. Mouth wash, tooth paste, gum it didn't matter he said he could still taste it. I was still laughing my ass of 10 minutes later.

Bling

Post by Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:41 pm

I was thinking of an empty Tide (or similar) detergent bottle--1/2 gallon size, nice wide neck--and a funnel. Maybe a SheWee, that looked promising. I've just used plastic beverage cups when regular camping. Works fine, but you have to be careful to dispose of it and not accidentally use it for a beverage... :wink:

diana-smiles
Burning Since: 2015

Re: Recommendations -- pee bottle?

Post by diana-smiles » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:42 pm

I tried a new pee jug at my regional burn over Memorial Day, and it's perfect! It's a jug that had winter ice melt product in it. It has a 6 in wide lid that screws on and off, has a handle, and is opaque. The jug hole is wide enough to just spread my legs, hold it up there and pee! I've been searching for years, and finally found the perfect solution for a tiny bladder. The jug looks like this http://www.dougspower.com/images/winterpaw.jpg

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:55 pm

I use a quart plastic milk container with a screw on top spray painted yellow with black letter "P" stuck on all four sides.

The quart milk container fits nicely into the back basket of my trike between the small ice chest and the side of the basket for those times that I get caught out on the playa and don't have time to make it to a proper toilet.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

danibel

Post by danibel » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:28 pm

I like the P-style funnel. It's firmer and easier to use than the go-girl. But that is just me. We used a one gallon water jug and though it didn't have the widest mouth, it worked for us. A big black X from a sharper was a good idea. Yes, it was.
In dust we trust.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”