Ticket Prices are nearly prohibitive!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Rage

Post by Rage » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:35 pm

We may only be able to come for the last 2 days of BM. Coming from NYC, no matter how we do it the, will still be less expensive than the tickets. Is there any way to get 'scalped' tickets or from someone who is leaving early or lower rate for less days.

I mean $450 - $500 for 2 people for 2 days of self sufficient camping after flying into Reno, renting a car, buying supplies. Is there no way to save any money?

It's scarey!

pheonixphire000

Post by pheonixphire000 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:48 pm

People who have extra ticket generally get what they paid for them if they had to sell them. I haven't heard of people scalping tickets and I am pretty sure that the tickets are put in your name, as well as they tear your tickets when you arrive at the gate. There is no discount if you only stay for a few days. Its all or nothing. If you can't stay for the full week or atleast a good portion of it you are really missing the full experience. Having to come all the way from NY, maybe it would be better if you just waited until next year. Good luck

Dork

Post by Dork » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:22 pm

Nope. Only way to get in cheaper is to buy your tickets when they first go on sale, which already happened.

BM seems like a ripoff if you'll only be there for the very end. There's plenty of less expensive and less remote places to camp or party for a couple of nights. I'd say stick to regional events until you're in a position where you can come for the whole week.

Are you taking into account the trip from Reno to the event when you do cost calculations, or counting on a ride from someone?

Rage

I've been crunching numbers for a while

Post by Rage » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:12 am

I figure that 2 things will make this OK.

1) I don't have a burning desire to stay there all week.
2) We will have to pay the air ($265@pp from Philly) and the $450 BM Tickets) way in advance of going, so it won't be that painful. If we put this together over the summer it should fly.

Think I'm going to go with renting the RV. for coolness and comfort and the built in generator. I've checked the rates and they are reasonable.

III

Post by III » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:20 am

make sure you get reservations - reno is usually out of them (if they'll rent to you at all) pretty early.
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Dork

Post by Dork » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:21 am

Man.. I gotta stop replying to threads started on April 1st. I really do.

Re: I've been crunching numbers for a while

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:29 am

DJ Mic Rage wrote:I don't have a burning desire to stay there all week.
things change markedly over the course of the week. the first part of the week is where the relationships are forged. showing up for just "the weekend" gives a completely different experience (and, IMO, it's not worth it, but mebbe that's just me).
DJ Mic Rage wrote:Think I'm going to go with renting the RV. for coolness and comfort and the built in generator.
unless members of your party need an RV and the accompanying AC for heath reasons (infants, etc)., it really separates you from the event and, again, might not be worth it.

it's tough to meet your neighbors and build community in just 48 hours from inside an RV.

polzicons

Post by polzicons » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:09 am

Hear that DJ? The plain truth. If you come all the way you might as well do it right! Forgett the RV (you can't just fly into Reno and "rent" one from a guy in a trenchcoat) and instead use the $2,500 you'll save to buy some tarps and create a "Camp" like everyone else. This is NOT a drop-in kind of thing. Do it right the first time. If you cant do the TIME save your energy for next year. We build a whole city and create a unique culture for a week then burn it down and pack it out. You can't just stroll in for the burn. What would it mean if you hadn't invested blood, sweat, and tears in it's creation?!
It would be like paying $400 to see the Stones but not getting into the stadium until the pyro was going off and the band was leaving the stage...

That's a long way to come for just a weekend. You know what I'm saying?
8) -POL
-a phat desert ratt..!

_tears_

Post by _tears_ » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:20 am

polzicons wrote:Hear that DJ? The plain truth. If you come all the way you might as well do it right! Forgett the RV (you can't just fly into Reno and "rent" one from a guy in a trenchcoat) and instead use the $2,500 you'll save to buy some tarps and create a "Camp" like everyone else. This is NOT a drop-in kind of thing. Do it right the first time. If you cant do the TIME save your energy for next year. We build a whole city and create a unique culture for a week then burn it down and pack it out. You can't just stroll in for the burn. What would it mean if you hadn't invested blood, sweat, and tears in it's creation?!
It would be like paying $400 to see the Stones but not getting into the stadium until the pyro was going off and the band was leaving the stage...

That's a long way to come for just a weekend. You know what I'm saying?
8) -POL

I agree with this 100%
[size=84][color=red]
Tears 2003, 2004
[/color][/size]
[size=100][color=darkred]
The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
[/color][/size]

Rage

Now look here guys...

Post by Rage » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:27 am

I'll be the judge of if it's 'worth it' or not!

You gotta think of it this way. I'm nearly 50. I like to get trippy like when I was younger, love art/music/people but just don't think that I could pass up seeing the event even for a limited duration. We make good money in NY and can burn it up as we see fit. I could be going to Ibiza, but this is higher on my list of pilgrimages. If I dig it I'll stay longer next time round.

Please don't get all 'holier than thou' about how I camp. I still might build my planned installation even for the 2 days...since it is a night kind of thing. I'm bailing on an event that I've attended almost every year since college in order to come. I'll stop in for one night then on to the airport.

As for the RV...I'll get it reserved early or just go with a minivan and rent a generator. Any way you shake it I'll have to get stuff there cuz I can't fly it all out.

polzicons

DJ Man

Post by polzicons » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:51 am

Hey now, not meaning to sound holier than thou. I hear ya, my first year was 2000 and I drove up last minute and paid like $350.00+ for one ticket on Fri an hour before the Greeters all turned to pumpkins and the metaphorical "gate" was sealed! I didn't regret the cost for a minute but I've been much better prepared and had an even better time ever since! Given all that, I guess I was in the wrong, forgive me. :oops: I'm sure that you'll have a GREAT time and meet all kinds of cool people and experience great things! I hope we meet in Black Rock. Some times you have to cut corners and I BET your only regret when all is said and done will be that you could not have stayed longer! So we'll see you again in 2005. P.S. In the event that you are having a really grand time you could stay Sun PM for the Temple Burn and even a day or two after that helping with the clean up...no, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to arrive late but become completely involved. Hey Man, just do it! Getting there is 9/10ths of the battle, the rest is like tasty gravy. The more careful you are in pre-planning, the more you will be able to spontaneusly interact and live harmoniusly wiith Black Rock City. Welcome aboard! -P
-a phat desert ratt..!

jlpc4004

Post by jlpc4004 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:51 am

If you wanna attend BM, ya gotta start planning right after it's over the year before!! Ya gotta be on the ball when the "reasonably" priced tickets go on sale, and coming for the weekend?? save your money dont do it...and if ya want to really experience it, forgot the RV, "tent" it. Might as well get a hotel in Reno with a pool and hotub and room service, you'll spend less $$ than a weekend at BM in an RV. :D

Zane5100

Re: Now look here guys...

Post by Zane5100 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:30 am

DJ Mic Rage wrote:I'll be the judge of if it's 'worth it' or not!

You gotta think of it this way. I'm nearly 50. I like to get trippy like when I was younger, love art/music/people but just don't think that I could pass up seeing the event even for a limited duration. We make good money in NY and can burn it up as we see fit. I could be going to Ibiza, but this is higher on my list of pilgrimages. If I dig it I'll stay longer next time round.

Please don't get all 'holier than thou' about how I camp. I still might build my planned installation even for the 2 days...since it is a night kind of thing. I'm bailing on an event that I've attended almost every year since college in order to come. I'll stop in for one night then on to the airport.

As for the RV...I'll get it reserved early or just go with a minivan and rent a generator. Any way you shake it I'll have to get stuff there cuz I can't fly it all out.
You're right in that you're the only one that can determine whether or not "it's worth it."

A couple of things about getting an RV:
1) They will get dirty (especially dusty)
2) They take a while to clean
3) Many companies say something to the effect of "you will not take this vehicle to Burning Man or the Black Rock Desert."
4) Toilet service is not guaranteed out there.

Some companies are burner friendly. Many are not. You can determine if the risk/hassle/expense of getting an RV is worth it.

As to building something out there for a couple of days--knock yourself out, if you want. There's a good chance that you'll miss rain--but you will definately need to design with the wind in mind. Everything that you build (and then tear down) will need to be hauled off and will contaminate your rig (whatever it is) with playa dust.

Just some things to keep in mind.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante

III

Post by III » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:19 am

there's gotta be something in the rules making an exception allowing dj's to just show up for the weekend.

juanicoheal

Post by juanicoheal » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:22 am

Dear DJ,

Your first complaint, and the title of this thread is that
The thread however has turned to a discussion of whether a weekend excursion is less or more 'valuable' than participating for the whole week.

The ticket prices pay for the set-up, maintenance, and operation of the ammenities (limited as they are) for the event as a whole. Taking from the concert analogy used earlier in the thread; should someone want to arrive for the pyrotechnica at the end of the concert, the entire concert will have had to happen for the pyro to exist. There are no ticket packages for 'just the weekend' for exactly that reason.

If you arrive during the event without a ticket, the prices actually increase daily to prevent looky-loos and those just looking for a weekend party place. Neither of which would be applicable to yourself, considering the travel you must endure to get there.

If you buy your tickets now, at $200, $225, or even $250, and you stay 2 days, you're still 'saving' over having to spend those same 2 night in a hotel in NYC and see a show each night. In both cases you get the evenings entertainment, and a place to house yourself, however in NYC, you would still need to entertain youself during the day. At BRC this is covered as well.

If Ibiza wouldn't be a problem for you, and you can truly burn you buck as you see fit. The ticket cost isn't really the issue, now is it?

DangerMouse
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Post by DangerMouse » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:26 am

III, you mean you can't just show up and say 'I'm with the DJ.' and expect to get comped?

What is this world coming to? We have to pay for things?

Aiiiieeeeeeeee!!!!

III

Post by III » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:29 am

no, i just mean that it seems that showing up just for the weekend is an entirely approrpiate thing for a dj to do.

DangerMouse
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Post by DangerMouse » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:47 am

Well, obviously said DJ would simply be gifting us with his presence then.

No?

III

Post by III » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:55 am

exactly!

Re: Now look here guys...

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:22 am

DJ Mic Rage wrote:I don't think that I could pass up seeing the event even for a limited duration.
to quote from an old ticket stub..."this is a no spectator event."

there is nothing to see at brc.

there are plenty of things to do, however. what'd you have in mind?

Miss Kate

Post by Miss Kate » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:51 am

Hiya DJ.

My two cents are: Come and stay for as long or as short of a time as you wish. Maybe staying just for a few days will be a good way to get your feet wet, but I’ll betcha, you’ll have a big frowny face on Sunday or Monday when it’s time to go back to the East and you still want more, more, more! If I may, from all of us who have attended for years, it really is worth the long haul. It goes so fast. Two days may seem like the blink of an eye. This being your first time, give it a try, it is so faboo that you’ll overload a little bit. And don’t forget, one of the wonderful things about BM is that you can participate as much as you’d like, and the more you do, the merrier it will be.

About the ticket cost: When you think about it, once you’re there, you don’t need any money at all. And it’s nice to have a potty to pee in. And roads to ride on. And a big Man to burn. You’ll see.

Welcome, and have a wonderful time!

Heh, heh, you’ll be back, banging on the gates at 12:01 Monday morning 2005!

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:56 am

Okay I've been biting my tongue for quite awhile about this "spectate" versus "participate" business. I'm normally screaming "right on!" when I read genghis's posts, but this statement is my final straw:
there is nothing to see at brc.
I have to disagree. Many artists choose to put things out there that are not really "participatory," for example last year the LED wall, the chandelier, the glass blowers. Did they put those things out there but expect no one to look at them? Of course not.

Absolutely, this is not DisneyLand and nobody should be coming to BM expecting to be entertained; you get out what you put in. But there's plenty to see AND do while you're there.

jlpc4004

"it is so faboo that you'll overload a little bit'

Post by jlpc4004 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:41 pm

Righto Ms Kate, watch out for that overload, it's addicting, you'll spend the rest of the year looking for that same kinda feeling, till you get back next year :D

stuart

Post by stuart » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:23 pm

it really separates you from the event
<get up on well worn RV defense soap box>

so does a tent. I mean, if you spend all your time in your tent, how are you gonna see and do the event?

wait a minute, that doesn't make any sense. And neither does the argument that an RV seperates you from the event either. Or that an RV is "like getting a hotel room in reno'. First of all, my RV does not come with a pool. If there are such things then damnit!, I need to rent me one next time.

my RV is the rental truck, kitchen, generator, bus, and secure EER all in one.

actiongrl

Post by actiongrl » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:58 pm

One thing to note, in all seriousness, is that the elevation and extreme conditions usually take about two days to adjust to. I generally feel like shit for the first 48 hours I am there, so I plan on just slowly setting up camp and taking it easy (I'm there for a month, and I can't afford to get sick.)

And by the way, if Ibiza is the kind of experience you're looking for, you're in for something much more than that.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:24 pm

I don't know what the bother is. The coordinates have already been posted for the city (and streets). Just go out there a few months ahead of time, use a GPS to locate the camp location of your choice, then burrow in and wait in the cool confines of your very own Playa Basement! When you start to see rebar being driven through your ceiling (or that deep, deep repetative bass starts resonating your skull despite being underground), it's time to surface. Voila! Free entry to BurningMan. And if your worried about those pesky airfares, use a cardboard box and ship yourself! In fact, you could probably label the outside of the box "Chai: deliver to centercamp" and not have to do any digging at all! YMMV. Jafe

Rage

OK... You guys are gonna love this...

Post by Rage » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:00 pm

As I keep researching the plan mutates...

I'm planning to pack my DJ equipment, tarps, generator, camp stove and cooking stuff as well as some canned goods, beer, booze into a 4x4x4 packing crate and have it shipped to Reno.

I will rent a mini-van or car with a trailer when we arrive by plane. After tear down I'll repack the crate and have it shipped back.

This way I can set up my installation and still not travel by car both ways!

Maybe someone thats driving from NY would tow a uhaul trailer to offset their travel expenses.

Booker

Post by Booker » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:26 pm

A group o' New Yorkers get together & organize a full-size container to move their stuff out & back. Get in touch with them. How? Local burner events seem to go on there pretty regularly if the Jackrabbit Speaks newsletter is to be believed (and after seeing the hardware in AG's picture up there, I won't be the one to say it isn't). Then you'll have things to do around home while you wait for August. Can't hardly beat that, eh?

Dork

Post by Dork » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:48 pm

Am I the only one who suspects this is an April Fools joke?

In any case.. it sounds like you know what you want to do and are going to do it regardless of what the rest of us have to say. Good luck to you and I hope you have enough fun that you'll want to come for the whole week on a future trip.

crazycat

Post by crazycat » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:16 pm

The difference in attending for 2 days as opposed to the entire week is that you will not become part of the community of Burning Man. Two days does not allow enough time for all of your worldly insight to slip away so that you can truely experience Burning Man, as opposed to being a spectator. As another has said, sometimes time constraints must be honored, but you will miss so much by not being able to come for the week. Those who come in later in the week are not the same as those who are able to stay longer. I suppose that is why others may sound harsh...they just want everyone to get the most out of it the way they have. :wink: This year, as before, I am back for 7 days because I know that I need that much time. Hopefully you will be able to do the same soon! See you on the Playa!
Cat

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”