One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:46 am

got a few more of these from parts express. fun and cheap, good little speaker, small the speaker alone about 1x1x4", handles decent volume, but great near field sound. 1.75 ea.
designed I guess for a skinny t.v. some go for fabric. I accumulate cheap speakers.

Mulligan

Post by Mulligan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:32 am

Doh! I just got scheduled to work out of town the entire week before we leave! Thankfully, the boss is OK with me getting a ticket to go to Reno instead of back to Denver. Hubby and I were planning to drive, so now he gets to go alone and just pick me up. So I guess today I'll be getting a plane ticket I wasn't planning on...

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:39 am

Plumeria wrote:I have been waffling on what bed to get/take. Considering my back problems, i wanted something comfortable.

Got this off freecycle today. And, it was only used twice. :) Its a little lower to the ground than i wanted, but, it will do!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Q ... ed/8571996
FANCY! Looks comfy. You might want to test it out for a night first just in case it has a leak or something. Bring a patch kit too. those metal poles won't feel good if the mattress runs out of air.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

MisaBlue

Post by MisaBlue » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:41 am

EmilyD wrote::-) Here ya go:

So cool EmilyD!

Orchid

Post by Orchid » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:44 am

EmilyD wrote: FANCY! Looks comfy. You might want to test it out for a night first just in case it has a leak or something. Bring a patch kit too. those metal poles won't feel good if the mattress runs out of air.
Actually, don't bother with the patch kit, just bring a spare air mattress. I have one of those elevated beds too and in 2008 it popped on Monday night. My patch kit was useless because the hole was on a seam and I ended up sleeping on a pile of blankets for the week.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:07 am

Orchid wrote:
EmilyD wrote: FANCY! Looks comfy. You might want to test it out for a night first just in case it has a leak or something. Bring a patch kit too. those metal poles won't feel good if the mattress runs out of air.
Actually, don't bother with the patch kit, just bring a spare air mattress. I have one of those elevated beds too and in 2008 it popped on Monday night. My patch kit was useless because the hole was on a seam and I ended up sleeping on a pile of blankets for the week.
I hate those things, I just cannot get comfy on an air mattress.

We use a double/queen self-inflating mattress, and top it with a memory foam topper we got at Costco. Not Cheap, and a bit bulky. But oh, oh so comfortable. Since it is on the ground, I also get support. Yeah, I have a bad back too, so I have to have plush but firm sleeping arrangements.

Yeah, smart asses, go ahead. I'm plush and MyLarry is firm. There, we're done.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:40 pm

EmilyD wrote:
illy dilly wrote:
EmilyD wrote:I have bras glued onto my car that have been there for 8 years and have never come off.
Pictures! We demand Pictures!
:-) Here ya go:

Thats awesome!
Now for 20 questions- How long did it take to do that?
Is that your regular car?
Is that street legal?
Is the BMorg gonna approve it for the playa?
Were you showing it at an art car show?
(ok, so just 5 questions)
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

clerkkent

my week in review

Post by clerkkent » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:16 pm

I picked up 2 bags of BM swag (Costumes and such) free from Craig's list. Sorting it out, keeping the 'it fits' stuff for us, and the rest gifting to the next BM passersby we come across.

Did the annual 'rebuild the camp shower' ceremony in which we track down /replace missing & broken bits.

Now have our camp shopping list (different than personal shopping list): shower pan lining material, carpet remnants, bolts for geo dome, and lots & lots Lego.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:24 pm

wow you guys get the greatest free stuff. I'm jealous! gonna go troll some more and find some goodies :)

still bike shopping...

I got a silver spandex tube top at goodwill yesterday.. but it's a little tight, and I remembered tube tops make my shoulders look huge... so I think it will be turned into armwarmers.

I also got what appears to be a faux polar bear rug.. it's made out of real fur, but the skin isn't black.. it might be mountain goat or arctic fox or something?

I also got a skirt that's a little tight... maybe I should try things on before I leave goodwill, eh?

clerkkent

Post by clerkkent » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:37 pm

^^^ Tube top looks fine. it is supposed to be a bit snug, or else you might have the 'girls' escaping.. unless that's what you're after? :lol:

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:23 pm

learing to make omlet in a searra cup.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:01 pm

clerkkent wrote:^^^ Tube top looks fine. it is supposed to be a bit snug, or else you might have the 'girls' escaping.. unless that's what you're after? :lol:
heh that's the rub hey? no, it's excessively tight around the top, as in painful, and also very challenging to get on and off.

and really, it doesnt go with the rest of my whole "modern tribal" thing. but it was shiny! and $4! so I had to buy it!

Oh look a squirrel!

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:02 pm

unjonharley wrote:learing to make omlet in a searra cup.
what's a searra cup?

(also, i apologize if I talk too much in this thread, I love it so much! happy happy burners)

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:37 am

that's a hot tube top Gypsy, too bad it's too tight.

sierra cup

2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:08 am

AntiM wrote:
Yeah, smart asses, go ahead. I'm plush and MyLarry is firm. There, we're done.
Both of you are awesome.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:45 pm

I FOUND A BIKE!!!
It is a wicked cruiser I got for $190 on Kijiji. It has brakes! and gears! and pretty whitewalled tires! The only annoying thing is the seat is kinda crap and the brake cables are on the outside of the frame... so I'll have to remove them to paint the frame.

So of course, to celebrate all the money I saved, I went and bought the best "tough" camera on the market: Panasonic Lumix TS2 and a gorillapod to mount it on my handlebars.

LOVE IT. IN ALL ITS ORANGE GLORY!!!

I also got some striped panties on sale. and cut a spare key for my van. whoo productive (and expensive!) day!

Now I must go sew furry stuff to put up on Etsy.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:30 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:I FOUND A BIKE!!!
It is a wicked cruiser I got for $190 on Kijiji. It has brakes! and gears! and pretty whitewalled tires! The only annoying thing is the seat is kinda crap and the brake cables are on the outside of the frame... so I'll have to remove them to paint the frame.

So of course, to celebrate all the money I saved, I went and bought the best "tough" camera on the market: Panasonic Lumix TS2 and a gorillapod to mount it on my handlebars.

LOVE IT. IN ALL ITS ORANGE GLORY!!!

I also got some striped panties on sale. and cut a spare key for my van. whoo productive (and expensive!) day!

Now I must go sew furry stuff to put up on Etsy.
CONGRATS! BTW I saw an orange gorilla pod at REI. ;-)

Still sewing fuchsia lurex to my parasol. 8 ribs (sigh).

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:35 pm

I have an old Lumix and am pretty happy with it. Daytime, use "scenery" for best outdoor pics. Nighttime? Not so great.

The very best fire shots I ever took were with my old Sony Mavica, the one which used the 3.5 discs.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:41 pm

illy dilly wrote:
EmilyD wrote:
illy dilly wrote: Pictures! We demand Pictures!
:-) Here ya go:
Thats awesome!
Now for 20 questions- How long did it take to do that?
Is that your regular car?
Is that street legal?
Is the BMorg gonna approve it for the playa?
Were you showing it at an art car show?
(ok, so just 5 questions)
1. It's a work in progress but I started it in 1999. It's my second artcar (the first being this:

2 & 3) Yes, it's street legal and I drive it as a regular car.

4) I was rejected for a DMV license (as I knew I would be) because it's not mutated enough. I don't care. I didn't want to drive around anyway. That's why we bought folding bikes.

5) Yes, the photo above was taken our annual ArtCar Fest (14 years and counting!)

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:09 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:I went and bought the best "tough" camera on the market: Panasonic Lumix TS2 and a gorillapod to mount it on my handlebars.
I use a really old Cannon A550 with a lens cover I have to flick open with my fingers. It's been to the Playa twice, isn't good for much else, and lets me get shots & short videos of my friends. I also don't have to worry about it "taking a walk"- it's cheap & replaceable.

Make sure when you leave your bike you take the camera out of the pod & keep it with you. I would also recommend keeping it in a ziplock (or bag-in-bag if you want to be anal) & only take it out when you want to shoot. Keep some desiccant in the bag for safetys sake- the camera's, not yours.

Mine is so battered I just toss it in my pouch sans ziplock & take it out when I remember. My good cameras stay home.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:55 pm

this camera is actually marketed as dust-proof.. I go to so many festivals and outdoor events, I was tired of dragging around my chunky, crappy camera and never having any good pictures. I don't take pictures anywhere else! I want some good ones! lol

And yes, it won't be on my bike most of the time. but it has a starry night setting where you can leave the shutter open and pick up the stars and the moon and crazy light trails of people driving by! So I just need a base for the tripod, to avoid carrying around a full size tripod :)

Anti M, they also say that this one is much improved for night shots... i'm going to test i out this weekend!

and I mean, c'mon, IT'S ORANGE! They had the orange gorillapod where I bought it too, but it was a knock-off, and much less stable...

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:34 pm

cool camera and yes ORANGE is the best color

wwonka

Post by wwonka » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:55 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kelty-Medium-Sunsha ... 19bd52b37c

all right eplayans. I was looking at this on ebay. Unfortunately. I say unfortunately because the 30 x 30 northpole shade structure has vanished off the face of the earth, and no clones exist that I can find.

I was looking at it and wondering if any amount of guy-lining could save this in a storm. To me it looks like if properly lined, with a solid line out from each peg, it could survive a dust storm with the bounce-back effect.
(i know, bounceback sometimes has a tendency to bouncedown there.)

So whats your opinion folks? Have not debuted the Northpole, but I have full confidence in it.

shroom

Post by shroom » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:12 am

^^I bought one of those because I couldn't find the north pole one either! I plan on having a tent at two of the openings leaving one 'door'. I'm hoping it works.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:11 am

I found a pair of perfectly flat-heeled silver cowboy boots in my size on ebay. Whoo! Shiny night footwear which will not kill me! And at a price I did not find outrageous.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 am

wwonka wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/Kelty-Medium-Sunsha ... 19bd52b37c

all right eplayans. I was looking at this on ebay. Unfortunately. I say unfortunately because the 30 x 30 northpole shade structure has vanished off the face of the earth, and no clones exist that I can find.

I was looking at it and wondering if any amount of guy-lining could save this in a storm. To me it looks like if properly lined, with a solid line out from each peg, it could survive a dust storm with the bounce-back effect.
(i know, bounceback sometimes has a tendency to bouncedown there.)

So whats your opinion folks? Have not debuted the Northpole, but I have full confidence in it.
I used the large version two years and it held up well. The lowest profile requires ducking (often) to enter and this got a little tiresome, but the headroom inside is great. A couple of pole sleeves split, so some pre-emptive reinforcement with jb weld and ribbon (what was on hand for me) might be a good idea. In high wind, it did tend to collapse on the windward side, but I put a chair in that corner, and tried guying it out with a higher attachment point (guyed out t-post) use all the guy out points and monitor how it is blowing. I don't think after two playa trips that I had the best strategy for guying it out, but it survived, and that is all that matters to me. Takes two people to set up, the whole thing needs to be bent in order to get the poles through the sleeves. I took a northpole last year, and overall, worried a lot less about how it was holding up.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:54 pm

AntiM wrote:I found a pair of perfectly flat-heeled silver cowboy boots in my size on ebay. Whoo! Shiny night footwear which will not kill me! And at a price I did not find outrageous.
That truly is a find! Jealous!!!

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:54 pm

I figured out two things today.

1) Which LED poi I should buy and how to make a furry cover for it during hte day.

2) That I won't be happy with a disposable camera so I need to bite the bullet and buy a case for mine. Its a point and shot my sister got me years ago that I love.

Now just figuring out what will work for the cheapest price.
We break to remind us how to mend.

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:24 am

Elorrum wrote:Image
got a few more of these from parts express. fun and cheap, good little speaker, small the speaker alone about 1x1x4", handles decent volume, but great near field sound. 1.75 ea.
designed I guess for a skinny t.v. some go for fabric. I accumulate cheap speakers.
little t-amp with battery and external 12V... for sister's bday. playa version in the planning stages.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:40 am

FaeTora wrote:I figured out two things today.

1) Which LED poi I should buy and how to make a furry cover for it during hte day.

2) That I won't be happy with a disposable camera so I need to bite the bullet and buy a case for mine. Its a point and shot my sister got me years ago that I love.

Now just figuring out what will work for the cheapest price.
How about one of these for the camera? http://www.rei.com/product/752383

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”