One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:33 am

Minxy wrote:Junglesmacks, your glass is gorgeous!!!!
Aww shucks.. thanks :D

It's funny.. I've had to re-learn how to do something as basic as a flat pendant. I usually make much bigger things like multi-weld bubblers and such, so it was ironic that something like this took getting used to. I've been on a roll lately and so into making them.. I've done around 50 so far. Now starting to use up some spare dichroic that I had laying around...

After I've done around 100 of the flat ones, I'll start doing some wacky random things I think.. but.. in the meantime, I'm loving doing these flat teardrop models..

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Bling

Post by Bling » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:35 am

Ooh, love the shiny icicle one!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:49 am

Oooh, Junglesmacks, would you be willing to place a few in the Home for Wayward Art? Nice!!!!!

Minxy

Post by Minxy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:50 am

Oh man. Those rock!!! I'm going to have to hunt you down on the playa, Junglesmacks. :D :D J/k, but seriously, those are awesome. :) I have been making necklaces to give away and stuff and those just make me drooool. :D

kman

Post by kman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:55 am

I've been a busy kman, even if I've been remiss about posting my daily accomplishments.

Found the damn bike, still chained to the side of the apartment building I moved out of 5 years ago. LOL! Good thing it's all friends who live there! Took the bike to the shop, got the chain replaced, brakes adjusted, and it's been declared playa-ready (if pathetically un-decorated at the moment).

Ordered BlikeGlow and some blinkies to decorate said bike. This will be it's last year of life (dead rear brakes, type no longer made, so after the burn I'll donate and next year I'll find another bike), so I'll cut loose with the fluoro paint and fuzzy cloth, too, sometime between now and my departure.

Made a wood mounting plate that fits over the deep-cycle marine battery, nestled safely in it's milk crate. Now the solar charge controller and 4-way cigarette lighter splitter are sitting securely on top, with a master power switch, all protecting the connections to the battery itself hidden underneath. Should cut down on "oops!" moments, esp. with the less-technical yurt-mates.

Been working on the HexaYurt every weekend. All that's left is cutting the tarp to size, foot-print-style, cutting ventilation holes for the air filters I picked up, cutting a hole for the DIY bucket swamp cooler's output, and rigging some sort of door latch mechanism. Should be completely done this weekend, no problemo. Transport has been arranged on the camp's trailer, so no worries there, either.

Made a wood frame for my solar panel array, which will mount easily atop my hexayurt, once we arrive and optimum sun direction is determined.

Found a passenger to share fuel costs.

It's all coming together nicely!

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:57 am

You guys are making me blush.. lol..

I'll be at the eplaya meet and greet on Thursday and anyone that remembers to ask can have one for sure. I'd be more than happy to donate one for whatever you would like, Ms M..

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:36 am

* taking notes * meet and greet Thursday tackle junglesmacks,, trade swag :)...
so hows the bean bag coming along ?

a little something something I sewed last night
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Did some collage work, making old wayward art into new wayward art. Finished a couple small paintings. Started a couple new projects.

Hung some art from dad's house (framed Renior sketchbook page), a nude painting from France (60s), family photos, a Persian plate, my Japanese print returned home all these years. Sent a copy of his DD-214 to the mortuary to authorize the honor guard who performed his ceremony.

Bling

Post by Bling » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:22 pm

a little something something I sewed last night
Image[/quote]
That is so cute!

MisaBlue
Burning Since: 2010

Post by MisaBlue » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:29 pm

My item for today is Metropolis notebook...

...I kept the cover and now put new notebooks inside...one so I can easily tear off the sheets...

...and one just to write and keep the notes...

and it has pocket :)

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks Bling,
Very coool notebook Misa :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:03 pm

JELLA! I am SO jealous! Your bike looks SO cute. I need to decorate mine...BADLY!
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:03 pm

Does anyone else feel a frenzy coming on?
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:20 pm

Oh yeah, I went into frenz last night.
Does anyone know of a good sticker place in the inner bay area, preferably Berkeley, North Oakland or DT San Francisco?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:36 pm

frenzied feeling yes. had a realization that online ordering had to have a deadline... placed a few orders last night of things I have been planning, and decided that is it for toys and stuff.

Cryptofishist, I found pocket protectors in a lot of 3, so I got you covered if you want to save a shopping item. found a plastic graduated cylinder. I'm having a garage sale on Saturday, and my lord, inside every box almost I am finding lights! Every year when Christmas stuff has gone on sale, I have bought some. Good feeling about cutting down on belongings that don't get used. I have started shitcanning certain ideas for ornamentation and amusement that just haven't gotten any traction. The things I've left home have never bothered me once I got there.

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:25 pm

mthyer wrote:This is a cool idea. Today I installed an oscillating DC fan in my Vanagon.
That is a cool idea. Where'd you get it?
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:57 pm

junglesmacks wrote:You guys are making me blush.. lol..

I'll be at the eplaya meet and greet on Thursday and anyone that remembers to ask can have one for sure. I'd be more than happy to donate one for whatever you would like, Ms M..
Don't blush! They are wonderful handmade glass gifts! You should be proud that you can create something to make so many people happy.

See you at the meet-n-greet! :wink:

All my theme camp props are packed! One more thing to mark off the list.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

mthyer

Post by mthyer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:40 pm

Today I obtained or ordered all the parts for my solar powered grey water swamp cooler project.

wwonka

Post by wwonka » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:17 pm

yesterday we finished phases 2 and 3 of our team jersey's. only four more steps!

this weekend:
try swapping tent poles between two tents (but why? one tent has a ripped door ((ziptied closed)) and the other has no elastic connecting the poles). I have gone with unconnected poles before, but its much nicer to have the connection.

trial run on the carport

maybe a trip to REI (coleman camp oven needs the juice!), TJ's for foodstuffs, and maybe a trip to Mike's liquor for the necessities. :D

Ke'Chara

Post by Ke'Chara » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:38 pm

This weekend is condense - right now there's 30 outfits in the pile. Need to reduce it to 7-10.

And have to set up tent that's gone unused for 5 years to see if I can use it or if needs replaced.

Joy.
"One does not grow old. When one stops growing, one becomes old." ~anonymous~

junglesmacks

Post by junglesmacks » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Solar LED xmas lights for the camp. 2 - 28 foot strings for $35 shipped.

Love the Ebay listing, including a quote from "Chef Juke at 'A week-long camping event in the Nevada Desert'".. lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWNX:IT

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:20 pm

frenzy? frenzy? whose in a frenzy?
We break to remind us how to mend.

archeolojust
Camp Name: Bangarang

Post by archeolojust » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:17 pm

This week we set up our shade structure, finished modding and decorating goggles, tested out the cook stove and how long it took water to boil for reheating foods, patched up sleeping bag holes and zippers, tested the solar powered stuff, learned we need more than one mallet so we can have more than one person pounding in rebar. Also, bent rebar on a rock when hammering it into the ground, so need more. Also bought more lighting, biodegradable shampoo, conditioner and soap.

Lots done! We made a huge list of stuff a few months back by category and every time I cross things off I get more and more excited. Its nearly all sharpie scratch outs now!

We also ordered some of these and a mechanic friend of mine ordered a TON so we are getting all the extra tap lights from them.
http://www.buyhexlight.com/
They are pretty sweet. A friend of mine actually invented them and they became available just in time for Burning Man! Woo!

MisaBlue

Post by MisaBlue » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:18 am

Frill panties and bra with picture of skulls and wings - was hard to find those :D

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:25 am

how long it took water to boil for reheating foods,
Slightly different at altitude. Not much, just making conversation. I'm sure someone will be along with timetables and information on a plethora of stoves, fuel, and containers cut and pasted from an assortment of sources, and someone else to contradict them, and a third person to say it doesn't matter at all, the water will boil eventually. And someone to make a dick joke.

There, I just saved the thread four posts.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:35 am

AntiM wrote:
Slightly different at altitude. Not much, just making conversation. I'm sure someone will be along with timetables and information on a plethora of stoves, fuel, and containers cut and pasted from an assortment of sources, and someone else to contradict them, and a third person to say it doesn't matter at all, the water will boil eventually. And someone to make a dick joke.

Lol hahahahahaha

cant wait to meet you Anti

Got some 100 proof Captain
and some whiskey
and some camp whiskey for a game of "Workers Whiskey"
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:32 am

See blog link in signature for the accomplishments of the past couple of days.

kman

Post by kman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:46 am

archeolojust wrote:We also ordered some of these and a mechanic friend of mine ordered a TON so we are getting all the extra tap lights from them.
http://www.buyhexlight.com/
They are pretty sweet. A friend of mine actually invented them and they became available just in time for Burning Man! Woo!
Looks kinda gimmicky.

Curious, though, what kind of batteries do they take? And those stick lights?

mthyer

Post by mthyer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:46 am

wwonka wrote: this weekend:
try swapping tent poles between two tents (but why? one tent has a ripped door ((ziptied closed)) and the other has no elastic connecting the poles). I have gone with unconnected poles before, but its much nicer to have the connection.
WWONKA,

Try getting some replacement cord from REI or somewhere similar. Unless your tent poles are really similar between tents the other poles may work poorly in wind. The zipper can be re-sewn too, but that's more of a project.

HTH,

MT

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:05 am

AntiM wrote:

Hell yeah!
I nominate this Post for best post this week!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”