One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:11 pm

come to the mng, lazerfox, I'll give you one.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:39 pm

Just incase I get around to building one..I picked up a fiberglass chair and three small bicycles for a peddel cab.. The passagers get to peddel too.. Now the trick is to find another matching chair..

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:06 am

I was a jerk and took more than one free sample of milk thistle liver cleanse and immune boost vitamins from Earthfare yesterday.

Free samples, vitamins, shampoo, lotion, sunscreen, FTW. Much better than trying to buy small/travel sizes or squirt shit into small bottles.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:02 pm

Ticket came today..

In the snail mail..

I payed for UPS :?: :?: :?:

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:57 pm

boring stuff today, bought a water bottle and looked at plumbing supplies for the trailer. I did go fondle some fabric, but didn't have time to wait for cuts etc.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Well I had a huge day today with my prep, and it was SO MUCH FUN, wow. I am at my Mom's house in the country this weekend, so, I got my tent up WOO HOO, gosh, I had never even laid eyes on a tent like this (9x9 Eureka Sunrise) and had never in my life actually erected a tent before :oops: but I got it up ALL BY MYSELF, it looks great, and after my two hour trip to the hardware store in town 8) the tent has proper stakes and guy-lines and I was also able to erect, all by myself, one hoop of PVC pipe for my future Monkey Hut!

So I am pretty convinced now that I can actually do this! And I had better :oops: after buying a shitload of neat little pieces of gear to bring with me! AND a sledgehammer of my very own 8) for my rebar, which the nice men at the store cut and shaped for me. :lol: Yes I paid money for rebar, I hope that doesn't make me a bad person.

I don't care anyway :lol: this is so cool!!!

I am going to leave the tent up overnight just to see how it does. I have already been out twice to check on it (and to shoo away the deer) (as if they are any threat!).
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:50 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Well I had a huge day today with my prep, and it was SO MUCH FUN, wow. I am at my Mom's house in the country this weekend, so, I got my tent up WOO HOO, gosh, I had never even laid eyes on a tent like this (9x9 Eureka Sunrise) and had never in my life actually erected a tent before :oops: but I got it up ALL BY MYSELF, it looks great, and after my two hour trip to the hardware store in town 8) the tent has proper stakes and guy-lines and I was also able to erect, all by myself, one hoop of PVC pipe for my future Monkey Hut!

So I am pretty convinced now that I can actually do this!
That's Great. Solo Bad-Ass!

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Elorrum wrote:That's Great. Solo Bad-Ass!
I am very tickled with myself today. :lol: The guys at the hardware store accused me of laughing at them :shock: because I could not keep this shit-eating grin off my face! :lol:

:D :D :D
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:48 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Well I had a huge day today with my prep, and it was SO MUCH FUN, wow. I am at my Mom's house in the country this weekend, so, I got my tent up WOO HOO, gosh, I had never even laid eyes on a tent like this (9x9 Eureka Sunrise) and had never in my life actually erected a tent before :oops: but I got it up ALL BY MYSELF, it looks great, and after my two hour trip to the hardware store in town 8) the tent has proper stakes and guy-lines and I was also able to erect, all by myself, one hoop of PVC pipe for my future Monkey Hut!

So I am pretty convinced now that I can actually do this! And I had better :oops: after buying a shitload of neat little pieces of gear to bring with me! AND a sledgehammer of my very own 8) for my rebar, which the nice men at the store cut and shaped for me. :lol: Yes I paid money for rebar, I hope that doesn't make me a bad person.

I don't care anyway :lol: this is so cool!!!
How are you supposed to get rebar for free?? :lol:

I know exactly how you feel being able to do stuff for yourself! It's not silly at all.

If you have any difficulty getting rebar out of the ground--and it's the curved/candy-caned variety or tent stakes with a t-shaped head--I recommend this wrecking bar, for which I have an indecent fondness, and wish to wield in a zombie movie:

I learned about wrecking bars right here on eplaya--maybe the best trick I learned here. You get a lot of leverage. Reduces strike time to a tiny fraction of what it can be. But the ends of the wrecking bar are sharp, so wear work gloves and long pants, and don't get impatient. :)

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Bought a 1/2 inch hammer drill to drive rebar.. screw that trying to hit the wiggely things.. I'll just grind a flat side for the chuck to grip.. Drive the rebar.. The chuck it up to remove it.. Still looking for a tight fiting rebar cap

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:57 pm

Savannah wrote:How are you supposed to get rebar for free?? :lol:
Ooooh, all the manly-man rebar sites say you can pick it up out of construction/renovation dumpsters everywhere. The guy at the hardware store even suggested that, with a straight face! Of course :wink: he made several absurd suggestions to me. With a straight face.

Small-town hardware stores are a lot more fun than dumpsters, anyway. 8)

I have serious wrecking-bar envy now, and have added that awesome weapon to my Amazon list. Thanks for the link!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:12 pm

MyDearFriend wrote: Small-town hardware stores are a lot more fun than dumpsters, anyway.
Spoken like someone who doesn't appreciate the fact that she can dumpster dive.
(is there a grrrrrrrr smiley?)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:55 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote: Small-town hardware stores are a lot more fun than dumpsters, anyway.
Spoken like someone who doesn't appreciate the fact that she can dumpster dive.
(is there a grrrrrrrr smiley?)
Well okay then 8) I volunteer to be your Designated Diver anytime 8) as you are more fun than the hardware store even!

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:50 am

continuing tent repairs, set kenman up with his own amazon account so he stops ordering stuff and blaming it on me, changed my amazon password

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:08 am

Bout a year ago I set up a 9x9 shelter ( WalMart $30).. It has weathered good until yesterday.. Took some gust up to50 knots. One of the plastic caps sliped off..

Other from that I added a center pole to keep it fron inverting..

Now I'm going to add rebar to slide the legs and center pole over.. Also will replace the plastic tent stakes with rebar.. This time it will be reinstalled in the open garden so the March winds can ttest it. It could be lined with a space blanket to keep be cooler under.. may even add four vents (wind socks) in the top..

Hoping it will be my shelter along side the van for this year..

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:34 am

I contend that rebar is overkill for personal or family size tents, those in the 9 x 9 or 10 x 12 range. Few of those tents, if any, can withstand high winds. It's not how they're secured to the ground, altho important, but how strong the tent material is, and where the tent is positioned. Most of those WalMart-type camping tents are not very well made.

My first year I rebarred the hell outta my tent, went out on the playa, came back after a fairly strong dust storm to find the tent shredded. It was still staked down and the rebar was intact, but the tent was destroyed.

My mistake was I set up the tent exposed to the full force of the storm. Since then I always position my tent behind another stable structure upwind from the prevailing winds which are normally out of the southwest. RVs, trucks, vans, neighboring tents...anything to break up the direct force of the wind.

And I only use 10" x 1/4" diameter aluminum stakes...they look like long nails with a hard plastic cap on the end...they are very light weight and very easy to pull out of the playa...never had a problem since, even in the strongest of storms.

So, use the rebar if you must, but the priority should go to proper positioning.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:32 am

dragonpilot wrote:I contend that rebar is overkill for personal or family size tents, those in the 9 x 9 or 10 x 12 range. Few of those tents, if any, can withstand high winds. It's not how they're secured to the ground, altho important, but how strong the tent material is, and where the tent is positioned. Most of those WalMart-type camping tents are not very well made.

My first year I rebarred the hell outta my tent, went out on the playa, came back after a fairly strong dust storm to find the tent shredded. It was still staked down and the rebar was intact, but the tent was destroyed.

My mistake was I set up the tent exposed to the full force of the storm. Since then I always position my tent behind another stable structure upwind from the prevailing winds which are normally out of the southwest. RVs, trucks, vans, neighboring tents...anything to break up the direct force of the wind.

And I only use 10" x 1/4" diameter aluminum stakes...they look like long nails with a hard plastic cap on the end...they are very light weight and very easy to pull out of the playa...never had a problem since, even in the strongest of storms.

So, use the rebar if you must, but the priority should go to proper positioning.
I am referring to a shade structure that I set in the open to test.. 40mph winds have pulled the 8inch stakes out of the ground.. It's hard to keep a shade structure "on" the ground.. They tend to lift and walk.. Sleaving the legs over rebar stops this action.. Last year with my van back to the winds, surrounded by other camp.. The wind riped 10 inch stakes (installed at 45 degrees) out of the ground.. I have never had a tent shred in the wind.. Set one on open ground in SD.. Looked like bad weather.. Did a little extrat staking.. That night the wind was strong enough to lift the tent floor so much as to move me some in my sleeping bag.. In the morning the tent was fine.. Other tents and camps were hanging on the barb wire around the camp ground.. Sand stakes are fine for tents. but rebar is better for tall structures..

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:57 pm

dragonpilot wrote:I contend that rebar is overkill for personal or family size tents, those in the 9 x 9 or 10 x 12 range. Few of those tents, if any, can withstand high winds. It's not how they're secured to the ground, altho important, but how strong the tent material is, and where the tent is positioned. Most of those WalMart-type camping tents are not very well made.

Sorry about your first tent! I hope to do better with mine; in fact I bought a compass :oops: just so I could be sure to position my tent appropriately for that SSW wind. And I found 10-inch tent-nail kind of stakes with a T-shaped plastic thing on the end, for my tent. Seemed pretty easy to use (in Mom's yard, anyway :shock: ).

I'm buying rebar for my Monkey Hut, which I am planning to put over the tent, and cover with aluminet. This will provide some shelter from the wind as well, won't it?

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:04 pm

mydeaerfriend - now my husband is crushing on you. before you started in, he was crushing on jigjam.

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:18 pm

tamarakay wrote:mydeaerfriend - now my husband is crushing on you. before you started in, he was crushing on jigjam.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Tell Ken he should come with me when I set out to FIND THE AMAZING FIGJAM in BRC! :lol: :lol: :lol:

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:20 pm

Does this mean those late night drunkin phone calls are gonna stop?

I'll miss them! :cry:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

dragonpilot
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:37 pm

For sure use rebar for big structures and anything that has the capability of acting like a sail. Most tents will stay put with just the gear you store in them on the floor...

something else I failed to do my first time...left most everything in the truck...now all the bedding, costume bins, coolers, and cot go in right away.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:44 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Does this mean those late night drunkin phone calls are gonna stop?

I'll miss them! :cry:
no worries, the calls will continue but sadly the late night drive-by's to check out your equipment will cease. sorry, but mydearfriend's mommy's backyard has taken on a certain charm...

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:07 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
Savannah wrote:How are you supposed to get rebar for free?? :lol:
Ooooh, all the manly-man rebar sites say you can pick it up out of construction/renovation dumpsters everywhere. The guy at the hardware store even suggested that, with a straight face! Of course :wink: he made several absurd suggestions to me. With a straight face.

Small-town hardware stores are a lot more fun than dumpsters, anyway. 8)

I have serious wrecking-bar envy now, and have added that awesome weapon to my Amazon list. Thanks for the link!
I don't know where MyLarry "acquired" our wrecking bar, but it is long and strong and I adore it. I know he didn't buy it.

Ours is green, longer, and just looks like an oversized crowbar or prybar. Came in ahndy when he took out our kitchen subfloor.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:09 pm

I bought a Harley for MyLarry last night, Not new new, but new to us. I have told him that under no circumstances are we riding it to Burning Man.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:12 pm

AntiM wrote:I bought a Harley for MyLarry last night, Not new new, but new to us. I have told him that under no circumstances are we riding it to Burning Man.
BRAVO!!! (golf clap)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:47 pm

FIGJAM wrote:
AntiM wrote:I bought a Harley for MyLarry last night, Not new new, but new to us. I have told him that under no circumstances are we riding it to Burning Man.
BRAVO!!! (golf clap)
+1

8) 8) 8)

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:34 am

Elorrum wrote:come to the mng, lazerfox, I'll give you one.
I'm totally already there. You rock my day!
(well in spirit)

Oldguy

Post by Oldguy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:12 pm

I got my underwear bags the other day. A dozen tube socks, pocket t- shirts, boxer/briefs. I always get new undies to wear every year. I love to change socks frequently on the Playa.

I used my new checking account to pay off my creditcard debt. I expect my third SSI check on the first of March to be posted on my new debitcard. In 2013, all SSI payments are going digital to debitcards, no paper, so I jumped the gun. I sent my low income app with cashiers check. I hope to get my ticket in March.

It feels good to have all my bills paid. I have money in the bank and more coming on my debit card. This past year was hard on me, but I finally got my disability award letter after appealing process. 8 years on vocational disability waiting list, then about two years on applications
assistence.

I still get $200 a month in EBT card/foodstamps, plus Gleaners groceries. I get $845 a month disabilty SSI on my debitcard. I,ve gone cashless.

I expect next: get cellphone, Ipod and laptop and really go digital. I am limited to $2,000 in material possessions aside from a house and one car.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Bravo, OldGuy!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”