One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
The Hustler
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by The Hustler » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:11 am

I just ordered my first batch of Burning Man gear.

After lots of price comparing and research, I think I did OK in buying a tent and some other stuff that should hold up on the playa and after.

I saw a Kelty Shadehouse for retarded cheap at REI in Austin. The sales kid said the "sale" prce of more than half off the listed price will be permanent.

The thing looks to be stronger than your average "EZ Up 10x10" shade thing and have more options to stake down. I thought about plastic tarps and poles until I realized finding tent poles can be expensive, and I'm not sure if getting someone to make them would be less.

I saw Coleman tent poles on Amazon, but they never have more than one or two in stock. Are they any good? What do other people use to hold up shade structures?

Oh, and it must fit in the trunk of a Ford Focus, that's not an option.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:54 pm

I had good luck with a kelty tripod for two years... flexed some, needed a bit of repair, but held up o.k.

My item on the doorstep when I got home was a little amp with a mono subwoofer output. it's cute. small. works. no wow though. but very serviceable for what it is. 12V 4"x7"x 1.5" not sure how it's going to end up, but it's nice to get something that's already built sometimes. (that sounds almost WRONG)

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:24 am

I have another Amazon order with more stuff, including a 4'x6' fake grass mat for a front yard. I plan to order cheap solar LCD lights to make a little glow and another solar light I saw for some more glow.

I'm ordering a Kelty sunshade that looks strong and functional enough and fits into my budget.

But, nevermind that, I need to build a Saturn V rocket. Check THIS out:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/2009-07-1-new.htm

(Thanks Ken Rockwell!)
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:42 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:I have another Amazon order with more stuff, including a 4'x6' fake grass mat for a front yard.
Oh be very careful with that fake grass stuff. It sheds like crazy and the moop is almost as bad as glitter.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:19 am

:D
After five years I have most of the Stuff I need, but this year I'm short on money for a ticket. Might not be able to go. So yesterday I took a peanut butter jar and started a piggy bank. I'll try to put something in it every day, even if it is only a coin.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:54 am

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
Super Evil Brian wrote:I have another Amazon order with more stuff, including a 4'x6' fake grass mat for a front yard.
Oh be very careful with that fake grass stuff. It sheds like crazy and the moop is almost as bad as glitter.
Excellent point. Thanks!

I decided not to order it. It didn't qualify for the free Amazon Prime shipping, so it would have been about $10 to ship. I'll try a big-box retailer (is it me or does that sound like a whore house?) instead.

I'll make sure to test-MOOP in store to make sure the green fuzz doesn't come out.

If it seems like it will be a mess, what shoud I use instead? A cheap rug?

Jiā yóu!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:59 am

Find a carpet installer.

They always have used carpet to get rid of, sometimes new because a customer is remodeling to change color.

Thats where I get mine. (free)

Then theres billboard vinyl. (cheap)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Boijoy
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:15 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
Excellent point. Thanks!

I decided not to order it. It didn't qualify for the free Amazon Prime shipping, so it would have been about $10 to ship. I'll try a big-box retailer (is it me or does that sound like a whore house?) instead.

I'll make sure to test-MOOP in store to make sure the green fuzz doesn't come out.

We use a super heavy duty canvas tarp becuase we can sweep it.
I painted an abstract design on one last year but the rain & mud ruined it. I don't think I will do that again.
don't forget to floss

Boijoy
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:16 am

I purchased a Yeti cooler this weekend. :shock: Im still suffering the sticker shock.
don't forget to floss

Dr Jet Sinister

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:25 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
Excellent point. Thanks!

Yes! Cheap rugs are the best. Plenty to be found around thrift shops, and scrap from home installs, they can be reused year after year. I've put them on the ground and on top of tarps, depends on the purpose of the rug for you (catching moop, comfort, dust abatement).
You could pick up a green tarp or green berber type rug, add a picket fence or other yard art and make that the lawn instead. I haven't found any of that fake grass stuff that doesn't shed, maybe not in the store, but you'll be unpleasantly surprised later. Best to leave all of it at home.
Suck it.

Dr Jet Sinister

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:27 am

Boijoy wrote:I purchased a Yeti cooler this weekend. :shock: Im still suffering the sticker shock.
My husband wants one of those really bad. With that price, it's been easy to talk ourselves out of wanting it.
Suck it.

Mulligan

Post by Mulligan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:59 pm

[quote="Boijoy"]We use a super heavy duty canvas tarp becuase we can sweep it. I painted an abstract design on one last year but the rain & mud ruined it. I don't think I will do that again.[/quote]

We got a painter's canvas tarp last year. I spray painted a hop scotch pattern and a tic tac toe patter on one corner (used flattened beer cans tab up and down for x's and o's).

Grass=too much moop. The carpet was too hard to get all of the mud/dust out after the burn. We ended up throwing away the old carpet from our 2rd year. The canvas worked out well last year, even with the rain. It was easy to put in the driveway and hose off.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:56 pm

I use thick furniture moving blankets for ground cover

shykat

Post by shykat » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:22 pm

I just got 21, 10 foot pieces of 1 inch EMT for our 20x20 shade structure.

Manufacture of my shade structure suggests I cut the EMT to 6 feet 8 inches for the sideS. I was thinking of only cutting to 8 feet. Anybody think this is a bad idea?
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:54 am

Elliot wrote::D
After five years I have most of the Stuff I need, but this year I'm short on money for a ticket. Might not be able to go. So yesterday I took a peanut butter jar and started a piggy bank. I'll try to put something in it every day, even if it is only a coin.
GREAT IDEA!!! The ticket price is one of the big reasons I'm not planning on coming this year.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:57 am

shykat wrote:I just got 21, 10 foot pieces of 1 inch EMT for our 20x20 shade structure.

Manufacture of my shade structure suggests I cut the EMT to 6 feet 8 inches for the sideS. I was thinking of only cutting to 8 feet. Anybody think this is a bad idea?
As long as you stake it down well it shouldn't be an issue. Our shade structure is 10' tall (in order to fit over our popup trailer) and we staked it down with rebar "U"s, 2 per leg. It performed perfectly!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

shykat

Post by shykat » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks Emilyd

That is exactly the reason we want to make our structure taller,we as well want to put our pop up under the shade structure.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

Turnip

Post by Turnip » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:32 am

I have a question about auger stakes

When I used them in 2009 they were all but impossible to get about a quarter of the way down. And at that point the playa around it was all crumbled and offered no real resistance to being pulled out.

We used ones of these varieties. something like 18 inches long.

Any advice on getting them in the ground easier? I had the idea of adding water to the drill site after the fact.
We already had a long bar through the eye of the stake that we used to turn it, didn't make any real difference.

Perhaps a different sort of stake besides the rebar alternative. Maybe what I like to call Dog Leash stakes?

God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:46 pm

'
I have noticed the playa shaters when you fuck around with tristing things.
'
The proven way is rebar. (From the jaded ones)..

I added a 1/2 inch impact drill for driveing/removing.. Screw that trying to hit the wiggling things.. I'm bringing a sack of tennis balls to give for rebar covers..
Rich collage kids only use a ball once... I'm friends with the couch..

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Picked up a basket for my bike today. Easily hold a cold six pack.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:05 pm

I set up the shade thing in the back yard. This thing is everything proof and half off.

I decided to test it out by reading a few chapters of a David Sedaris book.

2011-03-17 at 17-51-11 by SuperEvilBrian, on Flickr

2011-03-17 at 17-57-50 by SuperEvilBrian, on Flickr

I have just about everything together. All I need is some sort of rug or canvas tarp or something. I think I may want something like a sheet or burlap for a wall to make some shade. I don't want it wind proof, just some shade.

[EDIT: I fixed the picture issue finally but forgot to remove the line asking how to fix it.]

Jiā yóu!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:30 pm

I know that tags sometimes don't work if you have not enabled your BBCode in your profile. Might be the same for img tags.

From the top of the page: click Profile > Preferences > Enable BBCode > Save/Submit.

Then edit your post and hit preview first, and see . . .

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Savannah wrote:I know that tags sometimes don't work if you have not enabled your BBCode in your profile. Might be the same for img tags.

From the top of the page: click Profile > Preferences > Enable BBCode > Save/Submit.

Then edit your post and hit preview first, and see . . .
It is enabled, or was or should be ...

Jiā yóu!

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Super Evil Brian, I like the flamingo too!

I got a little cross fader in the mail today. If anyone wants to trade songs on my trike system, I'm all set.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Hmm . . . I tried the img tags using a flickr url for one of my avatars and the preview worked. You might have to play with the "share this" button in flickr 'til you get the right http. I think that's the problem. For example, if I want to share a photo in the same way the url is longer and not as simple as the ones you've used.

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:38 pm

Savannah wrote:Hmm . . . I tried the img tags using a flickr url for one of my avatars and the preview worked. You might have to play with the "share this" button in flickr 'til you get the right http. I think that's the problem. For example, if I want to share a photo in the same way the url is longer and not as simple as the ones you've used.
Flickr can be kooky like that.

And the music sharing cross-fading thing is a good idea.

Jiā yóu!

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:48 am

I think I may want something like a sheet or burlap for a wall to make some shade.

I hear Aluminet is the way to go if you can afford it.

Reading this thread makes me feel very lazy and uber-grateful for my camp mates. :wink:

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:56 am

C.f.M. wrote:I think I may want something like a sheet or burlap for a wall to make some shade.

Reading this thread makes me feel very lazy and uber-grateful for my camp mates. :wink:
Having just ordered a big piece of Aluminet (21x25 feet, unfinished) I can tell you yeah it's pricy but this place has the best deal.

I have also been looking at used burlap coffee-bean sacks, at $1.50 each, 2.5 x 3 feet, they might be useful and interesting to work with. 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:00 am

We are looking at aluminet to cover the front of our art vehicle. It needs to be pink (naturally). Would 22% to 30% spray painted pink afford us the proper visability so we are not a hazard tooling around BRC? Or does it need to be even thicker? Anything you can add would be appreciated.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:02 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:I think I may want something like a sheet or burlap for a wall to make some shade.

Having just ordered a big piece of Aluminet (21x25 feet, unfinished) I can tell you yeah it's pricy but this place has the best deal.

I have also been looking at used burlap coffee-bean sacks, at $1.50 each, 2.5 x 3 feet, they might be useful and interesting to work with. 8)
The wind could make a moop mess from burlap.. Figure on sealing the edges..

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”