One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 am

Did I mean settee?

senility is creeping up on me. It's not comfortable.

Maybe I meant set-to...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AngelDanger

Post by AngelDanger » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:00 am

C.f.M. wrote: Do it outside the toilets.

oh MAN that is a good idea. I don't know if it was obvious but I mean this idea to be hilarious and welcoming, not in ANY way having to do with actual scoring in a demeaning way. AT ALL. I can't stand when people need to put others down out of fear and low self-esteem, it's one of my biggest pet peeves. Kind of like my whiteboard ides, last year I had a bunch of sashes (like for a pageant) that said things like "princess for the day" "most naked" "best hair" "winner of burningman" and handed them out. I like the dichotomy of serious and official vs. burning man :lol:

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:03 am

"Most naked" is especially great.

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:10 am

AngelDanger wrote:
C.f.M. wrote: Do it outside the toilets.

oh MAN that is a good idea. I don't know if it was obvious but I mean this idea to be hilarious and welcoming, not in ANY way having to do with actual scoring in a demeaning way. AT ALL. I can't stand when people need to put others down out of fear and low self-esteem, it's one of my biggest pet peeves. Kind of like my whiteboard ides, last year I had a bunch of sashes (like for a pageant) that said things like "princess for the day" "most naked" "best hair" "winner of burningman" and handed them out. I like the dichotomy of serious and official vs. burning man :lol:
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:43 am

I know it's been done before . . . but it's still funny.

Hopefully the same person won't be awarded twice, though. I'd say "What are the odds?" but Burning Man is strange like that.

melodiousdirge
Burning Since: 2011

Post by melodiousdirge » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:35 pm

OK so, I should probably just start a progress blog post for this dome project, but for now it's my one item per day... and I think it's gonna need to be a lot more than one item per day soon, as there's a lot of work left to do!

Figuring out how I'm going to cut my canopy out of the mess of billboard tarps I've collected:

Pentagon Laid out with sharpie

Cut out with 2-3" of margin around the edges for seaming

Aaaand all 6 pentagons cut out.

You can see my youngest "child" refuses to be left out of anything, including photos. It's always a treat trying to do something novel in the house with a curious animal wanting to 'help'.

Next I need to cut the hexagons and half hexagons out, but none of the rooms in my house are large enough to lay out the tarp nicely. I'll either have to improvise or wait till the weekend and do it in the shop at work.
Beware teh snarkasm

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:11 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Did I mean settee?

senility is creeping up on me. It's not comfortable.

Maybe I meant set-to...
No no no you meant suttee, also spelled sutee or sati, where the widow gets thrown on the funeral pyre as a gesture of respect for the dead husband. :roll: Very Burn-ey.

I am certain that Savannah's glorious new playa coat does not look like it has been dipped in ghee. :shock:
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 pm

Making tutus for sparkle ponies is a labor of --

damn, I miss
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Recoil

Post by Recoil » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:19 pm

voice box for my MV mwhahaha

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:39 pm

voice box for my MV mwhahaha
:lol:

You'd better be good! There was a guy in 2000 or 2001 that I don't think anyone could ever top (Token remembers him!) If you are half as funny I will be happy. NB: I will be happy anyway. (That's totally cheating!)

One Item for Burning Man Today: ordered contact lenses.

Fufa
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Fufa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:13 pm

I got distracted at the dollar store while buying stuff for work, and ended up with a lime green fun-fur style wig and a children's "costume" hat of a pig, made with pink felt and googly eyes! It even has a chin strap to keep it from blowing away.

Foxfur
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:13 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:You can see my youngest "child" refuses to be left out of anything, including photos. It's always a treat trying to do something novel in the house with a curious animal wanting to 'help'.
MD!
Very impressive project. I LOVE the engineering worksheets. Very organized to the point that you know what the end product will be when done. I practice 'shoot-from-the-hip' engineering that usually goes well, designing as I go, but will sometimes yield non-optimal results.

Your 'child' made me laugh.
The only children we have are cats. We had two dogs but they ran away from home... Long story.
Keep up the great work and please let us know where you'll be if at all possible. I'd love to see your wonderful creation.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:19 am

Foxfur wrote: MD!
Very impressive project. I LOVE the engineering worksheets. Very organized to the point that you know what the end product will be when done. I practice 'shoot-from-the-hip' engineering that usually goes well, designing as I go, but will sometimes yield non-optimal results.
Hah! glad you're impressed FF, I've been browsing some of the other subforums and you've got a few impressive works of your own on the go! I'll definitely make it a mini mission to seek you and your creations out at TTITD!
Foxfur wrote: Your 'child' made me laugh.
The only children we have are cats. We had two dogs but they ran away from home... Long story.
Keep up the great work and please let us know where you'll be if at all possible. I'd love to see your wonderful creation.
Sorry to hear about your dogs... Losing pets is never a fun thing. Despite some looking at the map and scratching my head, I have no idea where I'll wind up. I'm hoping to hit the eplaya M&G, so hopefully we'll find a way to connect! I read somewhere that one can register with center camp as well, but I wasn't sure whether or not to place that in the questionable knowledge bin beside the DPW pool.
Beware teh snarkasm

Rabbette

Post by Rabbette » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:37 am

Purchased some Blue and White LED lights that run on 3 AA batteries for just over 4 bucks. - Runs 4-6 hours, thought that would be nice to decorate the bikes with em.
https://www.dealextreme.com/p/30-led-2- ... ngth-46567
Smile, who cares if you don't have all your teeth.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:11 am

Recoil wrote:voice box for my MV mwhahaha

If I hear or see you being a) not funny b) pressing ANY of the noise buttons, I will remove the megaphone from your hands.

I can vouch for those lights

A lovely campmate gave me his last year. They were great for the bike and to wear, they are still going and I've yet to replace the batteries. Already in my pack pile for this year!

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Post by Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:50 am

Rabbette wrote:Purchased some Blue and White LED lights that run on 3 AA batteries for just over 4 bucks. - Runs 4-6 hours, thought that would be nice to decorate the bikes with em.
Deal Extreme is great for lights like that, but you need to order right now to get them in time. Order extra of everything there because sometimes you'll get a dud. Not a huge deal since it's all so cheap anyway.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

Foxfur
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:05 am

[quote="melodiousdirge]Sorry to hear about your dogs...[/quote]
I wasn't broken up. I'm a total cat person. Kinda adopted them to help a friend. Always bad idea.
I'm hoping to hit the eplaya M&G, so hopefully we'll find a way to connect!

That'd be great :D

My creations are nowhere near the awesomeness constant that yours are.
Mine: <0.3
Yours approach 1.0 (1.0 = top of scale)
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:33 am

Those are the same lights I used to light up my bike, inside my tent, and strung them through my monkey hut. They are great little lights.
Just be really careful with the switch. That seems to be the weak point of those lights.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

AngelDanger

Post by AngelDanger » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:42 am

Fufa wrote:I got distracted at the dollar store while buying stuff for work, and ended up with a lime green fun-fur style wig and a children's "costume" hat of a pig, made with pink felt and googly eyes! It even has a chin strap to keep it from blowing away.
Aaahahahahahahaaa!! oh man, I must be easily entertained today, but picturing that pig hat has me in stitches. :lol:

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:43 am

Bought more Fimo yesterday to make more pendants.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:34 am

AngelDanger wrote:
Fufa wrote:I got distracted at the dollar store while buying stuff for work, and ended up with a lime green fun-fur style wig and a children's "costume" hat of a pig, made with pink felt and googly eyes! It even has a chin strap to keep it from blowing away.
Aaahahahahahahaaa!! oh man, I must be easily entertained today, but picturing that pig hat has me in stitches. :lol:
I laughed, too. The googly eyes started me off, but when I got to "chin strap" I was done in. :D
melodiousdirge wrote:Despite some looking at the map and scratching my head, I have no idea where I'll wind up. I'm hoping to hit the eplaya M&G, so hopefully we'll find a way to connect! I read somewhere that one can register with center camp as well, but I wasn't sure whether or not to place that in the questionable knowledge bin beside the DPW pool.
Melodious, register at "Playa Info" at Center Camp if you want to be found. If someone is likely to look you up by actual name, list that; if it's eplayans you're looking for, list your nickname. They might let you do both. List to the nearest 5 minute increment for the best shot at finding you, such as "4:55 and E" (and visible features, if they allow it) rather than "5:00 and E" which could mean N, S, E or W of 5:00 and E.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:36 am

This is the coolest fucking coat I've ever seen. Can't wait to see it on the playa!!!
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic. ... 89&t=41031
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Mojojita

Post by Mojojita » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:36 pm

Aaahhhhh! Score! A local supermarket is closing one of it's stores and I waited in line to get in - EVERYTHING was 50% off the last marked price!!!!! I bought a TON of alcohol for the camp. They had been having a sale on wine (Von's has good wine sales) before the move so I really made a killing, particularly on the champagne for mimosas. My total bill was $150 and the receipt said I saved $230! So I have about $380 in alcohol. I still need to add the vodka, which they were out of, but just about all other libations are covered.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

DustHand
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DustHand » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:41 pm

I plan on really making the bike light up this year. I have 2 strings of tiny LED lights that I will zip tie to the spokes, EL wire that I will zip tie to a fiberglass flag whip, and I ordered some ground effect lights for a motorcycle (that I would NEVER put on my bike in the default world) and a good 12 volt battery (plus a spare). I am gettin my bike in San Diego when I fly out there from Baltimore, but I did a mock up last night on my bike here. These even have a little remote control...you can change settings, speed up the flahses, etc. Pretty cool, and only 50 bucks!

Check out the video of the test...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv0ACVe9mCU
Burner from Baltimore
)'(

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:10 pm

Nice.... I'm on a budget so I went with these:

http://www.bikeglow.com/

With the code BURNINGMAN2011 they came to $15 shipped. I haven't cracked the package as yet.

Today I ordered my Vitalyte and some glow sticks (to get me over the Super Saver shipping minimum) with points.
Been out of work for over a year so I've been ordering whatever I can on Amazon with points.

I applied a third coat of varnish to my blocks, after they dry they'll be taped and that project is done (at least the block portion).

I can't find anything <4' in t post. I looked at the u posts today and I'm thinking about bolting 2 together, 3' (2' exposed) as a substitute. I'm thinking the low profile and the doubling up might be adequate, unfortunately there's only one way to find out....I'm going to sleep on that one.

The clock's a tickin', gotta get my derrière in gear.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:13 pm

\\

Picked up some compostable wipes. By Coleman @ WalMart..

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:53 pm

Went to Canadian Tire to get them to order some of the awesome heavy duty totes I bought there a few years ago, but they couldn't locate them in their system despite me giving them the website, the product number, and even bringing one of them with me. Back to the drawing board on that one.

Went to the hardware store to pickup some lumber for an unrelated aquarium project, as well as some 5/8" rebar for stakes... but they couldn't cut the rebar down for me (it comes in 20' lengths) and they didn't have the lumber I wanted, so I left empty handed there.

Went to the post office to pick up a package I thought would be the new bearings for my playa trike, but it was something else... so the playa trike will continue to sit in pieces for a while.

I DID manage to order some wicked platform boots, some comfy chuck taylor knock off boots, more blinkies and EL wire (like I don't have a shit-ton already), a funny t-shirt, and some other misc. Hopefully get the rest of my canopy polygons cut out this evening so I can start seaming them tomorrow. W00T!
Beware teh snarkasm

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:19 pm

\\
Post my ticket on Craig's List for face value..
It was up less than an hour.. Some one is willing to do Pay Pal/w extra for mail..

One wanted me to drive 100 mile round trip to meet them half way. LoL

It's time stamped.. Some ask if the ticket is still up?.. Daaa . F'in phishers..

And some asking if I would take less..

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:10 pm

Well, that's about par, unjohn. At least you're used to that from the ticket beggars here...
(And sorry you had to cancel.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:20 pm

(((unjon))) all best wishes
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”