One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
yurtgirl

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by yurtgirl » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:47 pm

jella wrote:Took the boy thrift shopping he found a few neat things sarongs, camo pant and bandanas and thennnnnnnnn I found a yummy evening gown mermaid cut and soooooo sparkly (think Michael Jacksons glove 8) )it just had to go to the prom ! A couple nips here and there and it will be a pefect fit. I decided my rights of passage was to finally go to a prom and what better place then Black Rock City !

Sweet! I never made it to prom either so I may borrow your idea and get a funky tux for my beau and sparkly dress for me. Weeeeee! This is so much fun.
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch

Skyote
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Skyote » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Joining in on this thread, though of course at this point it's many things per day...

Today I picked up some Celluclay and wire mesh for a mutant trike sculpture, while the bf spent several hours removing 2 years of rust from said trike. Then I tackled some el wire research so I can order from Seattle Lumin tomorrow. BF is constructing the mutant trike and I'm handling all the decor, including lots of el wire. Never soldered before so... good thing I have a complex design in mind :D

And this must count: BF served me a fab cocktail. We're testing recipes (insofar as he's making them and I'm drinking them) to decide which he will have ready to go in the dust. Dirty job and all that.

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:09 pm

jella wrote:Took the boy thrift shopping he found a few neat things sarongs, camo pant and bandanas and thennnnnnnnn I found a yummy evening gown mermaid cut and soooooo sparkly (think Michael Jacksons glove 8) )it just had to go to the prom ! A couple nips here and there and it will be a pefect fit. I decided my rights of passage was to finally go to a prom and what better place then Black Rock City !
I had to look up 'mermaid cut. Oh my! You will be stunning...
Prom? I left school early to go to work. I never did attend a prom. Random23 is mailing me a pink cumberbund. We thought it might look good with the wetsuit (too hot...). I do, however, have a brand new set of black medical scrubs...
A hanky in the breast pocket, a pink leather bow tie, and maybe a flower near the collar. Shine up the old army patent leather dress shoes and I'm there.
Now to find a date...
(Can I bring two dates? One from each gender?)
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:11 pm

I went to a prom in drag. I never was very good at genderqueer, but I never fit comfortably in the category of "girl."
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

snake

Post by snake » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:12 pm

ff...male or female? or does it matter?

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:17 pm

Skyote wrote:Joining in on this thread, though of course at this point it's many things per day...

Today I picked up some Celluclay and wire mesh for a mutant trike sculpture, while the bf spent several hours removing 2 years of rust from said trike. Then I tackled some el wire research so I can order from Seattle Lumin tomorrow. BF is constructing the mutant trike and I'm handling all the decor, including lots of el wire. Never soldered before so... good thing I have a complex design in mind :D

And this must count: BF served me a fab cocktail. We're testing recipes (insofar as he's making them and I'm drinking them) to decide which he will have ready to go in the dust. Dirty job and all that.
wow poor baby hehe.
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:10 pm

snake wrote:ff...male or female? or does it matter?
Love is blind...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:14 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I went to a prom in drag. I never was very good at genderqueer, but I never fit comfortably in the category of "girl."
I'm gonna hug the everlovin snark outta you...
*Smooch*
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:22 am

Busy day yesterday.

After taking down the monkey hut I decorated my bicycle to match my coat.

Sewed up a neck cooler to test how much water absorbing crystals to use, and wished I had had it earlier during all the building activity in the heat of the day.

Tested our solar lights.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:32 am

MyLarry worked on the trikes. One is fucked up, something about the shaft, pedaling, and wheels not turning. Rusted out bearings? Today is tweak the Rhoadescar day. We're also down to one playa bike, and one new bike. We need to get the single rhoadescar done up. No one likes to ride it, the seat is broken.

International Incident
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Post by International Incident » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Spent the night riding out a hell of a wind storm in monument valley - tent not happy! Lay in tent from 11pm to 3am trying to stop in blowing away and had a rethink on my shade/wind structure.

I guess that counts as my one item. :x

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:21 pm

melaniejane wrote:Spent the night riding out a hell of a wind storm in monument valley - tent not happy! Lay in tent from 11pm to 3am trying to stop in blowing away and had a rethink on my shade/wind structure.

I guess that counts as my one item. :x
On the bright side, you were in Monument Valley!

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:07 pm

doom despair agony on me.

The honda 2000ie whatever only puts out 10volts. We tried everything we knew, called honda, they didn't come up with anything better. Took it back to San Antonio or our "authorized dealer" and he can't even look at it for two weeks. So, that nuclear meltdown you guys heard about in Texas today was little old me. Ken says sometimes my hormones are handy. Anyhoo, suddenly they can look at it tomorrow. Friend at work loaned us a 5500 Briggs and Stratton LOUD generator, ken is building a huge baffle box as we speak. Hopefully the other one will get fixed and this monster won't be necessary. aarrrgghhhh. Plan on making more neckbands tonight.

Found TWO fabulous dresses for evening wear (for myself, told Mr. Sparkle Pony hands off) and we are down to single digits until leave day!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

TinkerMom
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity @ 404 Not Found

Post by TinkerMom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Well, it's been a while, but I have been a busy tinkerer. We completed our camp and set it up. Tore it down. We have to set it up again to dry out, only because it was raining and hailing when we took it down!! Damn monsoon season!! Fuzzied the trike and one of the boys bikes. Made a new friend, who is joining us. Yeah!! Went to Sam's club and spent way too much. When to HD and did the same. Got my truck all geared up and oiled, and petted the transmission and told it to be good, that we were going someplace fun, and that I would'nt work her too hard. We took off all the packaging of the food items and bagged them in zipper bags. Tested alot of things, to make sure they were all good. And the boys painted the genny baffle box..........
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:25 pm

TinkerMom wrote:Well, it's been a while, but I have been a busy tinkerer. We completed our camp and set it up. Tore it down. We have to set it up again to dry out, only because it was raining and hailing when we took it down!! Damn monsoon season!! Fuzzied the trike and one of the boys bikes. Made a new friend, who is joining us. Yeah!! Went to Sam's club and spent way too much. When to HD and did the same. Got my truck all geared up and oiled, and petted the transmission and told it to be good, that we were going someplace fun, and that I would'nt work her too hard. We took off all the packaging of the food items and bagged them in zipper bags. Tested alot of things, to make sure they were all good. And the boys painted the genny baffle box..........
Yay Tinker! I love what you told your transmission :)
Your baffle box is adorable.
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:36 pm

Thank you Figjam and jkisha. You both made that job way easier than we were thinking.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:38 pm

You might want to keep an eye on the temperature of that box. It has a tendency to heat up pretty fast when the top is covered.
TinkerMom wrote:Well, it's been a while, but I have been a busy tinkerer. We completed our camp and set it up. Tore it down. We have to set it up again to dry out, only because it was raining and hailing when we took it down!! Damn monsoon season!! Fuzzied the trike and one of the boys bikes. Made a new friend, who is joining us. Yeah!! Went to Sam's club and spent way too much. When to HD and did the same. Got my truck all geared up and oiled, and petted the transmission and told it to be good, that we were going someplace fun, and that I would'nt work her too hard. We took off all the packaging of the food items and bagged them in zipper bags. Tested alot of things, to make sure they were all good. And the boys painted the genny baffle box..........
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

TinkerMom
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity @ 404 Not Found

Post by TinkerMom » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Thank you FoxFur!!
JKisha, we plan on taking the top off when in use. The whole couple times we use it. But, the boys thought it
needed a dressing up when closed. lol

I can't wait to meet all of you!!
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!

Skyote

Post by Skyote » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:09 pm

jella wrote:
Skyote wrote:
wow poor baby hehe.
Oh indeed, he makes things rough for me. He wanted to handle the shade structure engineering and building the trike, and when I say "You're doing so much more work" he replies "Don't you have costumes you wanted to work on?" I think I'll keep him.

Today I fiiiinally dug through my giant trash bag of clothing from last year. Sorted through it, washed a few items (yes yes, never got around to it...) but the majority won't be going back. Lots of stuff that doesn't fit or I thought would work and doesn't. Kinda bummed, I've got a lot fewer things than I thought. But that just means I need to do some serious thrift store runs :D

The Bee
Burning Since: 2008

Post by The Bee » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:01 pm

Skyote wrote:Today I picked up some Celluclay and wire mesh for a mutant trike sculpture
Skyote - what is Celluclay? We just got a new used trike off Craigslist and we're brainstorming ideas on how to decorate it.
Yeah, that's a tough job. My sweetie and I like to both chip in to share tough jobs like that. :D Is there a cocktail recipe thread? Our favorites usually involve fresh limes.

cullen

Post by cullen » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:15 pm

Bought a homer bucket and lid, so I can be like figjam.
Normal? Bah! A cheerful ideal for the weak-minded.

Skyote

Post by Skyote » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:26 pm

The Bee wrote:
Skyote wrote:Today I picked up some Celluclay and wire mesh for a mutant trike sculpture
Skyote - what is Celluclay? We just got a new used trike off Craigslist and we're brainstorming ideas on how to decorate it.
Celluclay is basically papier mache, but it's sort of powdery, then when mixed with water acts like clay. Or at least that's the idea, I've never used it before! I'm making a big tiki mask to mount to the front of the trike, and the rest will be built into a mobile tiki hut - sometime in the next 1 1/2 weeks, OMG :shock: Celluclay is supposed to dry hard and light, which is why I chose it for this. Don't want to put too much heavy junk on the trike.

Depending on your priorities, I would say building a canopy for shade would be the first thing, then nighttime lighting, then otherwise just go nuts with whatever you can find or do in the coming days. It doesn't have to make sense or have a theme as long as it's fun and visually interesting (or auditorially, or...)
The Bee wrote:
Skyote wrote:And this must count: BF served me a fab cocktail. We're testing recipes (insofar as he's making them and I'm drinking them) to decide which he will have ready to go in the dust. Dirty job and all that.
Yeah, that's a tough job. My sweetie and I like to both chip in to share tough jobs like that. :D Is there a cocktail recipe thread? Our favorites usually involve fresh limes.
There may be a recipe thread...I think I'll go search for that! Though I just enjoy them, I don't make them. As for limes, I believe my bf plans on bringing a bunch and just seeing how long they last. In a well-kept cooler you could get through most of the week. I'd think - we only had spirits and mixers last year so that will be an experiment. Our basic plan is to bring premixed spirits for a specific couple drinks, and keep the rest as simple as possible. Like, a cup 2/3 full of premix, topped off with ice and a splash of pineapple juice/lemon/lime etc. Pineapple juice comes in those small cans, which makes it a good "fresh" mixer. That plan is for simple camp bartending. Since we hope to have mobile drinks on the tiki trike, we're getting a 2 or 3 gallon Igloo jug with a spigot, then we can prepare a big batch of something to serve when we're out and about. Might have a garnish to add along with us, like a container of cherries, but basically it would be ready to go.

The Bee

Post by The Bee » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Skyote wrote: we hope to have mobile drinks on the tiki trike
:D :D :D

Jax Dee
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:58 pm

So the very last item I ordered arrived: custom dog tags for my campmates that say "Please return me to: Tren Way Bike Camp Gigsville BRC 2011" They can either wear them or attch them to their bikes. That way lost items and people get returned to the right place. Which is good for us, we're a bunch of hard partying folks, no telling who will pass out on the playa and need "tagged" to get home safely. Lol. I think they will love them.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

Fufa
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Fufa » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:31 pm

Not my item per say, but the Mister spent the Saturday evening at the cabin slicing rebar to make 65 tent pegs for the shade structure design we decided at the last minute to go with. We are procrastinating folk. I think I was making dinner while he toiled away...

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:38 pm

I dropped $180 @ Grocery Outlet! I've never spent so much there before.
Got 30 Hormel Compleats: Roast beef & potatoes w/ gravy, turkey w/ stuffing & gravy, beef stew, penne alfredo, cheese manicotti, chicken & rice, and others. No heating, just eating. I eat these all the time when off-roading or exploring. I will not spend the burn cooking or cleaning!
Also got tons of snax and tasties. Plenty of personal care items: sanitizing wipes, face & body wipes, eye lubricant, lip balms.
Some airtight storage containers (6x8 inches, 6x6 inches, both sizes ~3 inches deep).

AND... My Georgie Boy t-shirt arrived! Thank you Mister Jellyfish! He also sent my autographed portrait of Georgie *swoon*... I'll post it on the "Happy Thread" because you've got to see the message Georgie penned to me...

Random23 sent me a pink cumberbund and a black bow tie! Thank you Random, you are super awesome!!! I wore them into the house when I got home. Sweetpea wasn't sure how o respond, "What? Hmm. What are those for?" I told her they'll go smashingly with the hot pants at the prom...
Wheee!
Fufa wrote:Not my item per say, but the Mister spent the Saturday evening at the cabin slicing rebar to make 65 tent pegs for the shade structure design we decided at the last minute to go with. We are procrastinating folk. I think I was making dinner while he toiled away...

THAT is no small task. Give him a pat on the back for us! He sounds like a dedicated man...
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:45 am

Today I fiiiinally dug through my giant trash bag of clothing from last year. Sorted through it, washed a few items (yes yes, never got around to it...) but the majority won't be going back. Lots of stuff that doesn't fit or I thought would work and doesn't. Kinda bummed, I've got a lot fewer things than I thought. But that just means I need to do some serious thrift store runs
Bring the items you don't want.need and donate them to Black Rock Boutique or Sex Filth Avenue.

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:30 am

Spent all day working on the coat that was pretty much "finished". Sewed the buttons on and spent 6 hours sewing on EL wire. I think the fishing line I had was too heavy because it made sewing tough. But we had torrential rain and flooding all day so I didn't feel like running to the store for lighter line. I suspect that 10 lb. test line would have made the task much easier than the 30lb. line I had laying around.

Still have to sew in the battery pocket and some inside cargo pockets.

One of our new solar lights failed on the second day of testing - looks like another run to HD.

Starting to sort stuff into groupings - stuff for on the way to the playa, stuff for the burn (essentials like mask, goggles, lights to be packed on top), clean stuff for the ride home.

The test neck cooler leeched some color into the water so we prewashed our neck cooler fabric.

So much to do, only 8 days to do it in.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 2018

Post by junglesmacks » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:36 am

Drawingablank wrote:Spent all day working on the coat that was pretty much "finished". Sewed the buttons on and spent 6 hours sewing on EL wire. I think the fishing line I had was too heavy because it made sewing tough. But we had torrential rain and flooding all day so I didn't feel like running to the store for lighter line. I suspect that 10 lb. test line would have made the task much easier than the 30lb. line I had laying around.
Nice! You ended up doing it after all. What color/size? Around the edges?

Yeah.. 30lb is a bit much. 15lb doubled up is about max..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:01 am

junglesmacks wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:Spent all day working on the coat that was pretty much "finished". Sewed the buttons on and spent 6 hours sewing on EL wire. I think the fishing line I had was too heavy because it made sewing tough. But we had torrential rain and flooding all day so I didn't feel like running to the store for lighter line. I suspect that 10 lb. test line would have made the task much easier than the 30lb. line I had laying around.
Nice! You ended up doing it after all. What color/size? Around the edges?

Yeah.. 30lb is a bit much. 15lb doubled up is about max.
Yes, MDF generously gifted me a 10 foot string of blue with battery pack. It appears to be about 2mm. I ran it up the front hem, around the lapels and collar, then back down the other side - basically outlining the fur parts.

I'm sure it would have gone much smoother with lighter line. The heavy stuff I had required an embroidery needle and it took brute force to pull each stitch through where the needle eye (doubled thread) was.

Once I get the pockets sewn in I'll try to post some pics, time permitting. In frantic scramble mode atm - and we may move our departure up to the 23rd. after we get out of work to make it easier to vist some friends in Nebraska on the way.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”