One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:25 pm

Heck yeah!! Glad to see they are rolling out finally!! Will be keeping my eye on my email.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:31 pm

danibel wrote:I'm leaving in less than two weeks for OCF so some of my daily tasks are for burning man, but are also doing double duty as a I prepare for a week of camping at the fair. Yesterday I pulled out my "kitchen" bin and washed and dried all the knives, spatulas, and cutting boards. We have another "kitchen" bin that is much much larger that has all the dishes and utensils, gotta find that and give everything a good wash.

Today I replaced the batteries in my rear light on my bike and oiled the chain up. I thought I might have to replace the chain because even though I hosed it and dried it after the last burn it has developed surface rust. After the oil it looks OK, but I really don't want a broken chain on the playa. Ugh.
Hit a cycle shop and get a spare chain. It's $20 or so but the peace of mind is worth it. I may or may not have a spare chain in my supplies on playa depending what day of the week it is. :P
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:51 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:
danibel wrote:I'm leaving in less than two weeks for OCF so some of my daily tasks are for burning man, but are also doing double duty as a I prepare for a week of camping at the fair. Yesterday I pulled out my "kitchen" bin and washed and dried all the knives, spatulas, and cutting boards. We have another "kitchen" bin that is much much larger that has all the dishes and utensils, gotta find that and give everything a good wash.

Today I replaced the batteries in my rear light on my bike and oiled the chain up. I thought I might have to replace the chain because even though I hosed it and dried it after the last burn it has developed surface rust. After the oil it looks OK, but I really don't want a broken chain on the playa. Ugh.
Hit a cycle shop and get a spare chain. It's $20 or so but the peace of mind is worth it. I may or may not have a spare chain in my supplies on playa depending what day of the week it is. :P
Are chains a standard size? Or do I have to take the bike with me to the bike shop? How the heck to do you get the chain off without cutting it? Or is that the only way?
In dust we trust.

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Chains are different sizes based I believe on the number of different gears on the back wheel cassette. Measuring the width of the inside link, outside link and the total width where they connect would give you some reference points when looking at chains.

I just wait until the chain breaks and then I replace it with a chain that has a master link. Continuous chain is typically separated with a chain breaker (tool) but I usually grind it in half with a grinder if I need to remove it.

When I picked up my replacement chain I guessed at the number of gears on the back sprocket and selected a package that corresponded with that number. When I got home I put some gloves on and tested it by fitting a portion over the gears on the back cassette. It was seated well and not rubbing on the gears next to it so I deemed it appropriate. :)

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Ordered our BDC shirts, some flasks, and hammocks.

Finished another leather wrapped flask and the utility belt.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:27 am

That is one task which I do faithfully upon return from the playa, then put a list in the top for what needs to be replenished. Ready to go to the regional, which lets me know if I really missed a major item. We have three ways to make coffee packed in that box, so when the power goes out at home, I know where my French press, perculator and paper filter cone all are stashed!

inthecolumbiagorge

Post by inthecolumbiagorge » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:20 am

Picked up our 6th and final Papasan chair for $10 on Craigslist yesterday. Our furniture needs for the camp are now met:-) A neighbor found a 19' tall windsurfing board sail last weekend on the river with a broken mount that is going to work perfectly for our sail for our mutant vehicle! That was extremely lucky for me since I now do not need to build one or buy materials:-) I am a lucky girl!

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:16 pm

inthecolumbiagorge wrote:Picked up our 6th and final Papasan chair for $10 on Craigslist yesterday. Our furniture needs for the camp are now met:-) A neighbor found a 19' tall windsurfing board sail last weekend on the river with a broken mount that is going to work perfectly for our sail for our mutant vehicle! That was extremely lucky for me since I now do not need to build one or buy materials:-) I am a lucky girl!
Thats super kick ass!!!!!!!
Hell yeah!!!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:14 pm

My rip stop nylon is here. Sad part is it is in like 6-8 inch strips so I have to sew them all together to make big fabric. Going to have to wait till this weekend to sew it onto the tent though. Heat index of 105 for the next few days ad 60% humidity. Ick! Maybe I will just take it into work and do it after my shift down in the basement.

catinthefunnyhat

Post by catinthefunnyhat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:58 pm

Booked hotel nights in Reno for after the burn, and our BUS tickets back to Toronto. (Outbound flight and pre-burn hotel previously booked).
If you want drama to stop following you everywhere, try letting go of the leash.

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:07 pm

Don't know if this qualifies...but I am doing a complete brake-job on the Suburban right now for the 6,000 mile round trip. And, it's freaking hot out here today.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:47 pm

mgb327 wrote:Don't know if this qualifies...but I am doing a complete brake-job on the Suburban right now for the 6,000 mile round trip. And, it's freaking hot out here today.
Hell yeah that counts!

What year Suburban?
Our first year we drove out a 1990 Suburban, named Blue Bertha. Damn I love that truck!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:54 pm

What's with all the modesty in this thread?

It's positively untoward.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

AzJames

Post by AzJames » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:16 pm

I'm a new Burner and couldn't get a ticket this year :evil: . But I plan to do it up right next year. I've already started my prep so, by this time next year I'll be sitting back relaxing while everyone else does the panic prep. 8)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Savannah wrote:What's with all the modesty in this thread?

It's positively untoward.
It's a loincloth thing...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:31 pm

over at mothers currently sewing. Have not gotten a ton done. So hotttttttttt and sticky. Eww.
Finished my Zebra shirt 99% of the way just have to sew a flower on it.
Finished my semi backless sleeveless hoodie
Going to start on my other shirt here in a few.

Still have my skirt,dress and my queen of hearts costume to sew. Me wore out! Sunday have to sew the nylon. I don't want to sew anymore!! :cry:

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:35 pm

AzJames wrote:I'm a new Burner and couldn't get a ticket this year :evil: . But I plan to do it up right next year. I've already started my prep so, by this time next year I'll be sitting back relaxing while everyone else does the panic prep. 8)
Welcome to the board, AzJames! :D
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:22 pm

Got the word from our friend who found our tickets for us...he's got them in hand. Mailed the check off to him along with our deepest thanks!

Ordered back-up goggles (Airfoils for me, Eliminator Global Vision Kit for him) and a 10-pack of dust masks. Next to water...very essential items!

I can provide links if anyone is goggle shopping.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:11 am

Got some sewing done, Worked on some new leather designs. Scaled up a mini skirt pattern.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

inthecolumbiagorge

Post by inthecolumbiagorge » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:20 pm

Got our tickets in the mail today:-) Also 6 all cotton tee shirts to tie die were delivered too!

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:02 pm

Just look at what I scored at an auction today for only $20. Tires and paint is all it needs....3 speed no less. Heavy on the 30 weight on the shifter.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:25 pm

a bit of sewing done, tire lights came in and torch holder to for my bike, but the way the playa is looking, thinking about not taking the bike.
hoodie back less, sleeveless shirt, and a shirt constructed on a bra. Not going to lie, makes my boobs look huge :)

FeetOfClay
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by FeetOfClay » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:43 pm

but the way the playa is looking, thinking about not taking the bike.
TG--actually thinking the same. boxing it up, lugging on train, when it may not be all that useful on dusty playa, i am considering going without a bike as well...but then again, it might help me see more while i am there, and i want to be very mobile...not sure yet
What is this quintessence of dust?

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Even if you can't use it on the open playa, the city streets will get compacted by traffic and water trucks, and there are miles and miles of those to explorer!

Bring your bikes. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm thinking of a shovel. I'd like to be able to get myself out of drifts this year.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

danibel

Post by danibel » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:10 pm

FeetOfClay wrote:
TG--actually thinking the same. boxing it up, lugging on train, when it may not be all that useful on dusty playa, i am considering going without a bike as well...but then again, it might help me see more while i am there, and i want to be very mobile...not sure yet

Bring your bike. You will find paths that are decent, and even last year, which was supposedly "a good" bike year, the dust snakes were everywhere in the city by Saturday night.

One tactic we use on a regular basis - we bike out to a certain point (an intersection or center camp) and lock our bikes and then walk from there. That way we don't have so far to walk home when it's 4am and our feets are tired from dancing. Just be sure to NOT lock your bike to art or something like that. If we are parking next to a theme camp we ask if it's OK to leave them there for a few hours. No one has ever said no, but we figure it's the polite thing to do. :)

Oh! And bring a frickin lock, and use it!
In dust we trust.

danibel

Post by danibel » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:12 pm

mgb327 wrote:Just look at what I scored at an auction today for only $20. Tires and paint is all it needs....3 speed no less. Heavy on the 30 weight on the shifter.......
SCORE! I am so jealous! I would love to have one of these. Total score.
In dust we trust.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:49 pm

danibel wrote:If we are parking next to a theme camp we ask if it's OK to leave them there for a few hours. No one has ever said no, but we figure it's the polite thing to do. :)
It is. And most theme campers would be happy to suggest a better place if it is in in the way. (There are at least two ways to read that. I did not mean the sarcastic one.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:08 pm

FeetOfClay wrote:
Bikes are great for those deep playa self guided random art encounters. One could always use a green yellow bike after thoroughly checking it's soundness. Carry on.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:34 pm

Made a playatech bench.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”