Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: MiscreAnts
Bants
Glitter Apocalypse

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by piehole » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:47 pm

just purchased:

http://store.colemans.com/cart/support- ... -1884.html

Hey mbg, you might find this useful if you don't already have something in mind for that camo-netting!
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Fufa
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Fufa » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:28 pm

Because camp schematics have changed drastically since last year - from a dozen people in a 40ft RV/bus to 2 people with a car pulling a utility trailer - today was organization day!

Purchased:

- 6 x 2 ft folding plastic utility table (stored it's only 3x2!) for cooking/eating/dishes/kitchen set-up
- 2 very large storage totes with hinged lids like a treasure chest, one will hold all things tent and tent-related, the other for shade structure stuff
- shallow storage tote for holding all of our non-perishable food
- short tower of plastic storage drawers to hold odds and ends in the changing room side of our tent. Things like ear plugs, extra dust masks, and wet wipes that kept disappearing in our mess of strewn about costumes last year
- 4 huge bottles of margarita mix for gifting to bars
- ordered my supply of daily contact lenses for the event. I switch over from my monthly ones just for the burn. Less to worry about.

Accomplished:
- determined how our "kitchen" will be set up, and how it will be secured when we are out
- packed the "tent and tent-related" tote
- split up tasks of who will do what on arrival for camp set-up, which is pretty damn easy when there is only two of us :roll:

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:13 am

piehole wrote:just purchased:

http://store.colemans.com/cart/support- ... -1884.html

Hey mbg, you might find this useful if you don't already have something in mind for that camo-netting!
Nice, Piehole!

Mgb might even know about those kits already, but I've never seen one before, and I love new info like this. (My neighbor in 2008 had some wonderfully simple camp netting going on, and although I have killer shade now, I still envy his set-up, too.)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:43 am

Piehole, I use a simple rectangular shade cover over my Suburban and small "sitting area", supported on simple/sturdy metal poles. I have lots of very good linemans' straps to tie it down to my candy-cane rebar. I was thinking of running it at a 45 degree angle, on the wind/sun side, from the top of the poles down/out to the ground, and staked. That will still give me access to the Sub. doors on that side, while blocking sun/wind. If I can't use it, I will give it away. I didn't plan on getting any netting, but it was so cheap, I couldn't pass on it. My shade canopy worked very well last year. Yeah Trilo, my hat last year took 2 minutes to "decorate", and 2+ hours this year. OCD.....
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

Kire

Post by Kire » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:11 am

Picked up some wire and adapters to help me wire some lighting.
Foxfur wrote:
Kire wrote:Picked up a new 10x20 carport last night after a guy finally got back to me. Hoping to pick up some carpet tonight or tomorrow.
You'll love it! We use ours year round. It's relaxing to set up the folding chairs on a rainy day in there to listen to the pitter-patter. Also wonderful to do rainy day grilling in.
Tip: Unfasten the top level bungies of the end panels at the roof peak. It lets out an incredible amount of heat on brutally sunny days and drops the inside temp by 10 to 15 degrees.
I used one last year and it was such a vast improvement over what we previously did. This year we are going to set them up as a double wide for more space because we'll have more people (as long as STEP comes through) else we'll just have more room for the same people.

Clar-i-ty
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Post by Clar-i-ty » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:33 am

Ok, got canteen cover, ruck sack, successfully tested the new tent aka the Condo, made purchasing list...it's a little costlier than I'd hoped, got a new hat, it's dandy.

Gonna buckle down and get real about the list. Just a few short weeks before I'm in the dust.
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!

FeetOfClay
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by FeetOfClay » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:56 am

today at the dollar store:

-2 mini aluminum LED flashlites (working!)
-2 clip on LED lights (working!)
-2 pkgs of 15 glow disposible glow stix ($1 a pack!)
-mini deodorant
-several pkgs of Panasonic batteries (good quality; not usually at dollar tree) AA and AAA
and......................
-A BOOK ABOUT THE BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT! AND IT HAS PICS OF BMAN!
gonna use it as the base to make a scrapbook/altered-book about my first burn!

http://www.amazon.com/Wildlands-West-Le ... f+the+west
What is this quintessence of dust?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:27 am

Sorting out our camelbaks, I switched mine and Larry's when prepacking them for the regional. I find if I prepack them with lights, bandannas, workgloves, headlamps, sporks and our cups and assorted goodies such as mini sunblock bottles, etc. then we are ready when we pull up and park on playa. They go behind the seats, ready to grab.

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:46 am

AntiM wrote:Sorting out our camelbaks, I switched mine and Larry's when prepacking them for the regional. I find if I prepack them with lights, bandannas, workgloves, headlamps, sporks and our cups and assorted goodies such as mini sunblock bottles, etc. then we are ready when we pull up and park on playa. They go behind the seats, ready to grab.
That's smart!

I think I will pre-pack our backpacks too. Never thought of doing that before.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:07 am

I love doing that! It saves me so much time, & allowed me to hit a 2010 Orientation on no sleep at all. :lol:

My other favorite efficiency improvement: if the bag is light-colored, write a list of what you want to carry on the inside with sharpie, someplace where it won't bleed through. Saves you time every day during the event during restocking, or when going from day to night. I don't like to carry the same things at all times, so I put Asterisks next to things that are day-only or night-only.

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:20 am

That is also a very good idea!
I have my camel back Pre Packed and hanging up. I have used it a few times this summer on outings so it is ready to go.

Got my sound activator and 8 AA battery pack in the mail today.
Pretty sure my goggles and fabric are here to but have not gone down to look yet.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:25 am

Savannah wrote:SIR ILL of DILL.

I set my iCalendar to remind me to remind you to pick up some Horizon Farms shelf-stable milk-in-a-box. :lol:
O Damn!
Thats why your the shit Savannah!
Kire wrote:
Kire wrote:Picked up a new 10x20 carport last night after a guy finally got back to me. Hoping to pick up some carpet tonight or tomorrow.
I used one last year and it was such a vast improvement over what we previously did. This year we are going to set them up as a double wide for more space because we'll have more people (as long as STEP comes through) else we'll just have more room for the same people.
If you put them double wide together, so like 20x20, maybe consider leaving 1 of the tarps on the wall that is adjoined. Then, rolling back the wall, that is sandwiched in the middle, back to the first pole. Use one half as the kitchen and one half as the 'living room'.
We've had a lot of luck separating the kitchen from the 'living' space.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:39 am

Last night I finished up about 75 gifts, the "how to speak to LEO's" laminates that I make each year, still need to make the necklaces for a bunch more.
And today I got my physical ticket!!
What other people think about you is none of your business.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:41 am

Those are yours! I have one. I haven't had to use it, but (as mentioned in the bar the other day) I'm so lily white naive that I figure it's good for me to have an idea of what the limitations are.
Thank you!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:42 am

Illy, you kill me. :D . . . I usually find the HF organic milk boxes on the juice aisle in large grocery stores, next to the juice boxes. They even have chocolate milk . . . which is actually very good for slightly dehydrated people if you believe recent articles (chocolate milk has calcium, magnesium and potassium and sugar, which have electrolyte value. Not much sodium, but a little. So better have a salty snack, too . . . :) ) It's so nice to have frosted shredded wheat and chilled milk on the playa. The complex carbs and protein keep me full for a while. Occasionally I over-estimate my stomach and put too much cereal in the bowl; that's my only "problem".

There is also now some shelf stable milk at Trader Joe's next to the canned coffee. Weirdly, it is NOT organic. Therefore, however, it is slightly cheaper. I don't know if they have boxed chocolate milk though. I haven't tried their brand, so I don't know if their process/taste is any different.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:48 am

A favorite shnack: Cashues and chocolat milk!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:50 am

Yep, that's me. I left a bunch at BB the last couple years, but I believe I mailed yours to you a while back.
I figure I better make more than I usually make, due to the uptick in virgins this year.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Savannah wrote:Illy, you kill me. :D . . . I usually find the HF organic milk boxes on the juice aisle in large grocery stores, next to the juice boxes. They even have chocolate milk . . . which is actually very good for slightly dehydrated people if you believe recent articles (chocolate milk has calcium, magnesium and potassium and sugar, which have electrolyte value. Not much sodium, but a little. So better have a salty snack, too . . . :) ) It's so nice to have frosted shredded wheat and chilled milk on the playa. The complex carbs and protein keep me full for a while. Occasionally I over-estimate my stomach and put too much cereal in the bowl; that's my only "problem".

There is also now some shelf stable milk at Trader Joe's next to the canned coffee. Weirdly, it is NOT organic. Therefore, however, it is slightly cheaper. I don't know if they have boxed chocolate milk though. I haven't tried their brand, so I don't know if their process/taste is any different.

Oddly enough, our commissary on base carries the chocolate ones. Very good indeed. I also found some coconut chocolate milk boxes, but the texture is a bit strange.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Savannah wrote:Illy, you kill me. :D . . . I usually find the HF organic milk boxes on the juice aisle in large grocery stores, next to the juice boxes.
Only with kindness..... and nonsense.

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out this weekend. I was concerned I'd have to drive to some hippy dippy store in Boulder or something.

Hell yeah!!! I'm so excited for cold cereal mid night snacks!!!
This is gonna be the best burn ever!!!!!

ps. Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds blows Frosted Shredded Wheat out of the water Milk!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:20 pm

I finally gave into the temptation and bought tulle, like crap load of it :shock:
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

Clar-i-ty

Post by Clar-i-ty » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Ahhhhh! Cleaned my room and immissing a patch, I just had last week. Dammit! Starting to store burn stuff in the plastic 3 drawer chests I got to use as night stands...livin' large this year.

Clar-i-ty

Post by Clar-i-ty » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:31 pm

Ahhhhh! Cleaned my room and now I'm missing a patch, I just had last week. Dammit! Starting to store burn stuff in the plastic 3 drawer chests I got to use as night stands...livin' large this year.

Kire

Post by Kire » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:04 pm

ordered new inner tubes and bike tires
illy dilly wrote: If you put them double wide together, so like 20x20, maybe consider leaving 1 of the tarps on the wall that is adjoined. Then, rolling back the wall, that is sandwiched in the middle, back to the first pole. Use one half as the kitchen and one half as the 'living room'.
We've had a lot of luck separating the kitchen from the 'living' space.
How clever illy, thanks. I enjoy having things nicely organized and think this will aid in that effort.

ohCarie
Camp Name: BDC

Post by ohCarie » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Wh..sh I bought what I thought was a bunch of tule too! Turns out it's never enough.. Going to supplement with other materials, which may actually be serendipitous.

I spent a couple hours making the prettiest tutu, as each year deserves a fresh one, and I laughed at how the Pre-playa version is nothing like the After. :lol:
"It's not that I'm so old, it's that I'm so drunk." -Felony

Theres Always One

Post by Theres Always One » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:59 pm

FeetOfClay wrote:today at the dollar store:

-2 mini aluminum LED flashlites (working!)
-2 clip on LED lights (working!)
-2 pkgs of 15 glow disposible glow stix ($1 a pack!)
-mini deodorant
-several pkgs of Panasonic batteries (good quality; not usually at dollar tree) AA and AAA
and......................
-A BOOK ABOUT THE BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT! AND IT HAS PICS OF BMAN!
gonna use it as the base to make a scrapbook/altered-book about my first burn!

http://www.amazon.com/Wildlands-West-Le ... f+the+west

Glow sticks?? :(

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:47 pm

- bought a stove top percolator/kettle from a second hand shop
- shopped my pantry for non-perishables (KD, granola bars, spices, oatmeal, couscous...) and added them to the food bin
- went through a box of costumes, folded them up, and put them away in my new playa dresser
- set aside clothing I don't want, or needs to be modified

and my favourite:
- turned a toddler's Halloween costume into a warm and fuzzy, glowing unicorn hat!

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Mother F-in toast cat! Man I love that site so much :)
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:18 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Mother F-in toast cat! Man I love that site so much :)
I can't get enough of pusheen! Around Easter we put bread on our cat's head. Hilarity ensued.

FeetOfClay

Post by FeetOfClay » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:13 am

Fufa--

the other day, i checked out Pusheen for the first time b/c of your "Super Fancy" signature---I LOVE HIM!

my boyfriend knows that, from now on, i want pusheen swag for all birthdays and holidays. what a cute character! i love the one of him eating noodles :)

FeetOfClay

Post by FeetOfClay » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:16 am

Glow sticks??
the glow sticks are for taping to the spokes of my bike to help me be seen at night. they will be encased in packing tape, and will not become moop.

yes, i know they are inefficient and wasteful. but they are one of the only bike-lighting solutions that fits my budget. i have clip in LEDS and such, this is just to increase my visibility. deal with it :twisted:

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”