One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Post by Oldguy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:46 pm

At 1 am Eastern, my DirectExpress card will get a cash bump. Tomorrow. I will draw cash from bank to cover ticket, gas, food, utilities, etc... Last money till event. I also need to get a bag of dogfood to give to Mrs. Sanchez, she is babysitting my dog for 12 days. Appointment made to see Dr. Andrea on the 14th to get script for meds.. I also need to get a few small items at the hardware store. Once I get my ramps made, I can start loading my trailer. I'm down to the penny-ante stuff now, I leave in 23 days, Yippee! :D
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:08 pm

Starting last year, the day i got home, i started saving all my $1 bills and change. Every day, i cleared my wallet, and put the bills and coins in the safe. As of today, i had enough for my girls ticket, fuel there and back, food and party favors.

Next year i will add $5 bills
Praise the Lowered

Kire
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Kire » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:13 pm

Got a decent amount of stuff done this weekend. added lighting to my bike (RGB strip lighting all over the frame). started on a fur covering for it. Thrifted some pretty cool stuff (vests, jumpsuit, jacket, necklaces, etc.). Picked up cording and closures for pendants i'm making. got a new costume chest.

Fufa

Post by Fufa » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:24 pm

drinksoy wrote:
Fufa wrote:Got most of the decorating of my new playa bike done. Spoke lights are in, and 3 of 4 LED ropes are wrapped on. Only need to add some flowers, and possibly a basket on the rack.

Almost all dry food and condiments are packed away and ready to go.

My aluminet order should be arriving any day now.... :mrgreen:
what % aluminet did you get? mines is on the fedex truck right now for delivery! WOOT. a little OT but yeah ive read a lot about aluminet here, doesnt seem like anyone has used the 99.9% darkness one (which i ordered).

oh btw, first post? ahaha hello all. i am a first timer and a lurker :]

i guess my item for today is to go find the vacuum sealer in the garage and test out making a meal and sealing it up. if not, i plan to use heavy duty freezer bags instead.
I didn't even know it came in 99%! I went with 70%, the highest shade coverage available from the company I went through. I found them recommended by several burners across different websites, and they mention on their site that they fulfill a lot of Burning Man orders. I myself have lounged under 70% at previous burns and found it quite lovely.

Of course, the playa will be the real test of how well it works. My fingers are crossed, because damn that shit is an investment!

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:36 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Im a cow drinker... im from iowa... dont judge! :D
I LOVE ME some cow but I am very allergic. One sip, a spoonful of ice cream (heaven) and WHOMP my sinuses shut down. Later comes the migraine...just ain't worth it. Goat works for cheese, same problem with the milk. Not sure why. The really sad thing is that I gave my Mr. an ice cream maker a few years back and he makes amazing ice cream regularly...which I can only stare at longingly.''

ranger magnum, now that's the way to do it! Impressive savings.

Kire, a costume chest...great idea. Much easier than different bags for everything.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:24 pm

Found a delicious Argentinian sparkling wine! I'll be back to the store tomorrow; a couple of bottles desperately need to come with me to the playa.

(Also must get Crazy Straws.)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:41 am

Lighting for the bikes arrived today, I'm very happy with it and can't wait to get that project finished. Also on the bike front I got a few coats of paint on some of the recently made wooden bike decoration parts. On the non-bike front the little LED UV flashlight we ordered arrived. It's not so much for the playa directly as it's for playa prep - now we can easily see exactly what the UV reactiveness is of different fabrics. I had ambitions on getting a lot more done today, but things got busy in other ways and that just didn't end up happening. D'oh!

Jax Dee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:11 am

Cross posted in Medication/Health Needs/Contact Lenses... Advice? and Towards a More Accessible Burn

Bought a Care Medical History Bracelet to replace my old school med alert bracelet. It is a rubberized water proof USB bracelet with the med alert symbol on it that when plugged into a PC or MAC instantly displays everything they need to know about you in an emergency. Much more comprehensive than a simple bracelet and can be updated at any time by popping it back in my computer. I LOVE it. Since I have so many things wrong with me, one little metal bracelet wasn't covering it anymore. I found it at Walgreens. Comes in different sizes and colors. Totally awesome for anyone with medical issues. Also nice way to keep your medical records as they have spots to plug in test results and dates and doc vists, etc. I am really impressed with it and will feel safer on playa wearing it.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:16 am

just looked it up, everyone needs one of those. such a good idea. I just have a card in my camel back with all my info on it. how much was it at wal greens? is it cheaper then online?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Jax Dee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:18 am

tattoogoddess wrote:just looked it up, everyone needs one of those. such a good idea. I just have a card in my camel back with all my info on it. how much was it at wal greens? is it cheaper then online?
It was about $22 I believe.
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

FeetOfClay
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by FeetOfClay » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:18 am

sewed a comfy (and sexy!) cotton-lycra one piece jumpsuit. it's like a onesie made of soft yoga pants fabric...mmm...

first time making it, and drafted my own pattern, so some little mistake and imperfections here and there, trial and error.

gonna make more, tho: soft and comfy :)
What is this quintessence of dust?

lazerfox
Burning Since: 2011

Post by lazerfox » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:02 am

Soy milk literally made me sick the last time I tried it. Almond & rice milk never have...and I'm with Savannah on the chocolate almond milk. And even as a child I refused to drink cows milk...not sure why.

We have the 80% aluminet I believe, but the boyfriend was in charge of the monkeyhut last year so not sure why we went with that.

Actually got a lot of progress on the bf's kimono last night. I think it will end up looking really nice. I've gotten a lot better at sewing underarms since my first Star Wars Jedi robe :lol: He is pretty excited as it is his b-day present.

Got my 9ft portable el-wire packs in the mail...need to test them out today. These will be for the bikes and in case I don't get my Tron robe 2.0 done in time so I can save myself the embarrassment of being a darkwad.
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:30 am

Just got back from Trader Joe's with three cases of beer. One each of Pete's, Oranjeboom, and Hennegers. All 16 ozers that will be what I will gift in the beer catagory during the week. I will drink myself whatever is left over.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:31 am

lazerfox wrote:And even as a child I refused to drink cows milk...not sure why.
I didn't because I thought it was kinda gross. Maybe it was a texture thing... I drink it now, but not enthusiastically.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:08 pm

This morning pulled out the BM binder and set up all the lists. We're in pretty good shape. Back to the waterboats.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Took a one night break from the fence art to crochet a playa friendly boa

That's one skein. I'll add another half skein so it's longer. Plus one of my coworkers might be helping me to put a bunch together as gifts. Most just as gifts, but I think I'll keep a few in my backpack to trade for any real feather boas I might see.
Sic Semper Spectatores

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:52 pm

That is super cute. How long did it take?
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:55 pm

VultureChow, that's lovely!

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:56 pm

lazerfox wrote:That is super cute. How long did it take?
One night, so roughly 3 hours. It's my first time working with the yarn (Red Heart Shashay). Gorgeous yarn if a little clumsy to work with.

It comes in a ton of colors, and I've got the 20% off entire purchase at Michaels this week, so I'm going there tonight to pickup a ton of it.
Sic Semper Spectatores

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:58 pm

I doubt I will have enough time but where did you get the pattern? Those sound like awesome gifts. :)

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:05 pm

lazerfox wrote:I doubt I will have enough time but where did you get the pattern? Those sound like awesome gifts. :)
I don't really have time either, but I needed a break from some of my drudgery to try something new.

http://www.redheart.com/files/patterns/pdf/LW2750.pdf

They have a video of it to on the red heart website. It's essentially 5sc per row, but you only crochet the top of the yarn and you skip two or three loops on the yarn to get it to bunch.
Sic Semper Spectatores

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:13 pm

Good news: Packed my bag and it's only 40 pounds, so I could add an extra 10 pounds before the airline gets cranky.

Bad news: Jader Troe's appears to no longer be selling their 99 cent pouches of chick peas and cumin, the foodstuff I was planning to lunch off of most days.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:32 pm

With Felix the Cats' bag of tricks.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:52 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Good news: Packed my bag and it's only 40 pounds, so I could add an extra 10 pounds before the airline gets cranky.
Travel scales are conservative, so don't go the full 10 lbs. That might be a big herp-derp obvious thing . . . but it wasn't to me (the first time). :lol:
Bad news: Jader Troe's appears to no longer be selling their 99 cent pouches of chick peas and cumin, the foodstuff I was planning to lunch off of most days.
Is there more than one branch of that store in your town? Their stock fluctuates wildly all over the damned place. Though obviously sometimes stuff disappears forever. I still miss their chocolate-covered red licorice, and it's been years. :shock:

Last weekend I found fully cooked Minute Rice in individual portions (white, brown, Spanish, and chicken-flavored) and have bought some to sample.

Foxfur
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Construction Camouflage.jpg
Hi-Vis boonie hat, 2 pairs gaiters, 4 velcro stretchy cuffs, and 2 seatbelt covers.
2 Hello Kitteh dust masks.
2 stickers from Offarock (Thank you!!!)
A DVD of the firework show that Espressodude, CaffieneGirl, and I fired on the 4th o' July from another pyro on the crew.

Replaced all the struts & coil springs on the truck between yesterday and today. Towing is gonna be easier on her now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Savannah wrote:
BoyScoutGirl wrote:
Is there more than one branch of that store in your town? Their stock fluctuates wildly all over the damned place. Though obviously sometimes stuff disappears forever. I still miss their chocolate-covered red licorice, and it's been years. :shock:
yeah... I fell in love with Wasabi oil, zinc vitamin C lozenges, a few other things. I've lately been hoping to see the bulgar pilaf they have precooked in a room temp bag. I was going to add some smoke fish to that for a potluck dish.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:55 pm

I have a personal verdict on the single-serving fully-cooked Minute Rice. I sampled it first without heating, to duplicate my usual wildly casual playa eating. (I will often mix a vacuum-sealed Indian entree + vacuum-sealed rice and just eat as-is, or in a tortilla.)

It's not good uncooked, but is technically edible in that state (i.e., if you were in a lifeboat, you would nom on it, but the same might be said for the first person to die.)

Then I microwaved it 1 minute as directed. It was significantly better, but not delicious--& the texture is still not quite as soft as I would want (then again, I'm pretty spoiled by--normally--steaming my own calrose rice better than the restaurants do it). I ate the result with sauteed salmon and steamed vegetables, and it wasn't bad, but I will not be bringing it to the playa. It will be relegated to my cupboard, where I will perform experiments on it using liquids and longer cooking times on evenings when I am caught without calrose or basmati rice.

TJ's multi-national boil-in-the-bag vacuum-sealed rice styles remain my current favorite (even unheated). I have found that if the bag feels soft, and of course says fully cooked, they can be enjoyable unheated. Your mileage may vary; I'm a bit of a savage.

I could probably experiment with dashboard heating, but 1) I'm impatient, and 2) I don't bring my own vehicle, so I don't want to risk scenting a friend's truck, should something go wrong.

tisha2

Post by tisha2 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:56 pm

turned in liquor license and dance permit and created event page for our next and final fundraiser for The Thugboat. secured early entry pass.

last night tried on some new playa wear ~ i tend to stick to nighties/lingerie for daywear ~ can solidly report that they passed the hubby test. :wink:
ERP ~ Emergency Resource Procurement
"if i can't find it, yer f***ed"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ERP-Emergency-Resource-Procurement/257100377734118

how we roll:
https://www.facebook.com/TheThugboat

Foxfur
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Savannah wrote:I have a personal verdict on the single-serving fully-cooked Minute Rice. I sampled it first without heating, to duplicate my usual wildly casual playa eating. (I will often mix a vacuum-sealed Indian entree + vacuum-sealed rice and just eat as-is, or in a tortilla.)

It's not good uncooked, but is technically edible in that state (i.e., if you were in a lifeboat, you would nom on it, but the same might be said for the first person to die.)

Then I microwaved it 1 minute as directed. It was significantly better, but not delicious--& the texture is still not quite as soft as I would want (then again, I'm pretty spoiled by--normally--steaming my own calrose rice better than the restaurants do it). I ate the result with sauteed salmon and steamed vegetables, and it wasn't bad, but I will not be bringing it to the playa. It will be relegated to my cupboard, where I will perform experiments on it using liquids and longer cooking times on evenings when I am caught without calrose or basmati rice.

TJ's multi-national boil-in-the-bag vacuum-sealed rice styles remain my current favorite (even unheated). I have found that if the bag feels soft, and of course says fully cooked, they can be enjoyable unheated. Your mileage may vary; I'm a bit of a savage.

I could probably experiment with dashboard heating, but 1) I'm impatient, and 2) I don't bring my own vehicle, so I don't want to risk scenting a friend's truck, should something go wrong.
Sav, I hold you personally responsible for the snack that I am now eating. :roll:
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:33 pm

try this... get the inarizushi in the can, and stuff it with (the good soft) rice. chill. mmm, cool, sweet, ginger...
Yeah, we're camping!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”